Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Suggestion Box > Sylestia Economy
Page 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Encryption
Level 70
Threads: 33
Posted: 9/23/2019 at 7:52 PM Post #61
oo thats a really good idea about the hatchery. some one suggested making stables buyable w/ ap but i dont think that would be good.. but hatchery, yes, that would be useful. esp since the serious breeders would prob have a ton of ap from nurturing so it wouldnt limit anyone but the newest new ppl from brreding alot
Xavion
Level 75
The Perfectionist
Threads: 434
Posted: 9/24/2019 at 4:26 PM Post #62
esp since the serious breeders would prob have a ton of ap from nurturing

I can't *not* debunk what was said above...

I'm a serious breeder.

I do not nurture pets.

Nurturing pets is tedious and time consuming, time which I will likely never have to waste on nurturing since most of my time spent here is sorting>breeding>hatching>releasing>sorting>breeding, etc, etc, in an endless loop.

Players do, however, acquire 20 AP points for every pet they breed. Thanks to that I'm up to about 800k, so hatchery pages bought with AP would still work.

But, ah... yeah.... nurturing = no thank you, I have more pressing matters to tend to.

So far as the economic dilemma goes, my suggestion is, always has been, always will be, this:

Make an NPC that buys pets for scales - even if it just a measly one little scale per pet. Currently the ONLY way to get scales is nurturing. Like I said above, I don't have time for that. But I would like scales, I'm sure many people who can't stand nurturing would as well, and scales are useful.

For these mass-breeders, if instead they could just trade in some of those ugly dishwater pets and get some scales, maybe they'd feel inclined to buy some pet dyes and make an actual PROJECT for a change.

*looks at the 80+ pets that were given the boot today already* Yup... scales would be great. Now back to sorting.
Jemadar
Level 74
Grand Protector
Threads: 25
Posted: 9/25/2019 at 9:47 PM Post #63
This idea came to me after reading the suggestion to generate themed sylesti and while I was half asleep so it is probably horrible.

There are a great many themes that are retired and very hard to find.

So, what if there was a way to obtain those themes through releasing pets? I am not talking about release 10 pets and you get a year one theme with 6 visible traits, but more like during a festival, if you release X pets you obtain a catalyst (or egg, though catalyst would work better for what I am thinking) where you have to plant it (and perhaps it is treated like a majestic pet) and you can treat it just like any other catalyst. However, perhaps if it isn't finished before the festival is over, it is NOT autocompleted, and as I said, it is treated like a majestic pet, so it can only have at most 2 visible.

Perhaps there are additional restrictions as well, to make it so that these aren't mass generated by mass breeders. For instance, in order to obtain a blazing fireworks Qitari (assuming they are ever retired) during the next patriotic event, you have to release themed qitaris, and perhaps releasing offspring won't work.

It would require a complicated coding system potentially, but it might make people start releasing more (and conversely if the idea is to get mass bred pets out of the system, then they could make it so ONLY offspring work but the number required goes up exponentionally)

Only issue I see would be the fact that mass breeders would have a huge advantage, even with a restriction of being X days old like the last release event.

An alternative, that would hopefully mean constant releasing is not tie it to any festivals or events ,but rather at any time you have a chance when releasing a pet (like a .01% chance), any pet, of obtaining a themed egg of a retired theme. This would be a one visible/2 carry egg (one or the other, not both) and be completely random, not dependant on anything, so you could get a recent retired theme (or a less desired theme).

Perhaps fabled species can be even rarer but still obtained (so like a .001% chance)

I don't know about older players, but I do know that I, as a newer player and someone who likes to collect pretty pets and someone who sees a ton of pretty themes that are practically impossible to find, would be tossing pets into the wild as fast as I could if I had a chance to obtain some older themes.

It might also encourage newer players, who might be more likely to mass breed, to release their own pets instead of tossing them on the AS for cheap, if they could obtain a potentially valuable pet from doing so.

Edit: just want to say something about an NPC that buys pets for scales, while this is a nice idea, it would also potentially not encourage breeders who also nurture into selling the pets to this NPC.

However, it could be that there isn't one single solution, and having options is nearly always a good idea, so perhaps having rewards for releasing pets as well as an NPC that would buy pets for scales would get BOTH types of players, those who want the scales but don't want to mindlessly click eggs or hatchlings and those who get enough scales but still want to breed, but like the idea of being able to release the pet and get something.
Edited By Jemadar on 9/25/2019 at 9:50 PM.
Aizar
Level 70
Warden of Umbra
Threads: 35
Posted: 9/29/2019 at 7:43 PM Post #64
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=80202&page=7#63
Author: Jemadar
Time Posted: 9/25/2019 at 9:47 PM
This idea came to me after reading the suggestion to generate themed sylesti and while I was half asleep so it is probably horrible.

There are a great many themes that are retired and very hard to find.

So, what if there was a way to obtain those themes through releasing pets? I am not talking about release 10 pets and you get a year one theme with 6 visible traits, but more like during a festival, if you release X pets you obtain a catalyst (or egg, though catalyst would work better for what I am thinking) where you have to plant it (and perhaps it is treated like a majestic pet) and you can treat it just like any other catalyst. However, perhaps if it isn't finished before the festival is over, it is NOT autocompleted, and as I said, it is treated like a majestic pet, so it can only have at most 2 visible.

Perhaps there are additional restrictions as well, to make it so that these aren't mass generated by mass breeders. For instance, in order to obtain a blazing fireworks Qitari (assuming they are ever retired) during the next patriotic event, you have to release themed qitaris, and perhaps releasing offspring won't work.

It would require a complicated coding system potentially, but it might make people start releasing more (and conversely if the idea is to get mass bred pets out of the system, then they could make it so ONLY offspring work but the number required goes up exponentionally)

Only issue I see would be the fact that mass breeders would have a huge advantage, even with a restriction of being X days old like the last release event.

An alternative, that would hopefully mean constant releasing is not tie it to any festivals or events ,but rather at any time you have a chance when releasing a pet (like a .01% chance), any pet, of obtaining a themed egg of a retired theme. This would be a one visible/2 carry egg (one or the other, not both) and be completely random, not dependant on anything, so you could get a recent retired theme (or a less desired theme).

Perhaps fabled species can be even rarer but still obtained (so like a .001% chance)

I don't know about older players, but I do know that I, as a newer player and someone who likes to collect pretty pets and someone who sees a ton of pretty themes that are practically impossible to find, would be tossing pets into the wild as fast as I could if I had a chance to obtain some older themes.

It might also encourage newer players, who might be more likely to mass breed, to release their own pets instead of tossing them on the AS for cheap, if they could obtain a potentially valuable pet from doing so.

Edit: just want to say something about an NPC that buys pets for scales, while this is a nice idea, it would also potentially not encourage breeders who also nurture into selling the pets to this NPC.

However, it could be that there isn't one single solution, and having options is nearly always a good idea, so perhaps having rewards for releasing pets as well as an NPC that would buy pets for scales would get BOTH types of players, those who want the scales but don't want to mindlessly click eggs or hatchlings and those who get enough scales but still want to breed, but like the idea of being able to release the pet and get something.

Hmm. Maybe have a quest that comes up every so often that asks you release a certain kind of pet? Like...release 20 qitaris. Release 4 themeds. Release 2 Lighira and 2 Ny'venes. Release a specific Themed. Release a pet with the color green in a specific slot (harder to code for--how do you quantify what is green to a computer? Hex code checks?) And of course always having that 42-days-or-older restriction. Changing up the goal frequently may keep mass breeders from being able to game the system as much.

In general I'm in support of more reasons to release pets, or at least sell them to an NPC. If the reward is a pretty old Themed after doing a certain number of releases, even better!

And to chime in from above: oh yes, I would LOVE additional ways to get scales and it even makes inworld sense to reward scales to people benefiting the ecology or whatever by keeping wild populations healthy.
Edited By Aizar on 9/29/2019 at 7:44 PM.
Jemadar
Level 74
Grand Protector
Threads: 25
Posted: 9/29/2019 at 8:36 PM Post #65
I never really thought of changing the requirements up, and it would be interesting. Especially if it were a weekly thing where the requirements were random either for everyone, or everyone had the same requirements (or harder to code, certain users got certain requirements). (or monthly, though since the goal is to get people releasing, I wouldn't make it too rare).

Coding for certain colors shouldn't be that hard, though it would probably require using the hex codes of each color.

For the 42 day restriction, my only reservation is like above, the goal is to get pets off the Advanced search and one of the issues is that players have to keep pets for 42 days already in order to benefit in the lost grove. I think that players need to be encouraged to release pets, even if they aren't 42 days old, though of course that could be a random requirement, so that maybe sometimes you have to release pets under 42 days, other times you have to release ones over 42.

There could also be trait requirements, and it might not necessarily be required to code each pet individually for each trait.

Since each trait is labeled by a letter, the site could use those letters to designate traits, and then the coding would simply require going 'oh, this pet only goes to ## traits in this particular slot, so default to that one' If restricted traits weren't desired to show up, just code those in '## is a restricted trait so default to AA if it comes up'. Things like that.

I think it would be interesting, and if the pets were old retired themes, the more difficult it is to complete them the better, so as to not flood the market with those pets, and so it is a challege to obtain them (and there would always be next time to complete the quest in order to try to obtain a pet).

I don't think that having specific themes as rewards would be good though, rather just make it random what theme is obtained, so that each user will, most likely, get a different theme when they complete it.

Perhaps code these quests like a combination of the task board and events that the patriotic event had.

IE: You would have a list of pets that you have to search down and release. These pet tasks could range anywhere from release 20 non-themed qitari, to release 1 pet with specific traits or anywhere in between.

Everytime you finish a task, you obtain a little prize. However, with the patriotic event, we had milestones for when we reached certain levels doing certain tasks, and that could be tied in to the task board. So you finish 5 of 20 tasks and you get a random 1 year retired theme (ie one of the most recently retired themes). Do 10 of 20 tasks and you can obtain a random 2 Year retired theme (ie, one that was retired two years previously) and so on. The more tasks you do, the more likely you are to get an old theme, but it isn't guaranteed, because you will always have the chance to obtain recently retired themes.

(perhaps the prizes for finishing tasks could be scales, to tie it in to releasing pets give scales)
AC9123
Level 71
Trickster
Threads: 145
Posted: 9/30/2019 at 1:17 AM Post #66
So I haven't really bothered reading all these pages of forums, but I did read that one thing from 2013.
Things I believe are good ideas: the NPC system and auctioning system that aren't really things yet.

Okay, so a nice little anecdote here:

As a new player, I found some cheap pets for sale/for breeding. A lot of them. So I bred a lot and got way too many Puffadores. 26 days later most of them were sadly released, and I actually had some weird giveaway going on, but I still have a bunch XD
That's mostly because I was a sad person who thought that the Puffadores looked pretty. *THEY WERE*

Now I'm more of a "yay project" person, and the only things I do are breed PB from my own themed, give away free PB Nephini to people who don't have that particular themed type yet, and do a few weird projects.

Besides the giveaway, and gifting pets to friends or random new players, I don't think I've sold anything for 1g in the past year. The pets that I sell: PBs and random Nephini, have some sort of price system. Because the Nephini are completely normal, despite looking a strange shade of green, I set a base price of 9000g. Every N gene it has, 500g is subtracted from the price. N as in no trait.
So if a Nephini has 6vis, it will cost 9000g, and if it has 0vis, it'll cost 3000g. It's not that bad, as sometimes people buy it, but well it could be better...
For the PB, I look at it if it's a regular species, stare at the number of traits (hidden/visible), and come up with some number less than 10k (if it's a popular breed/themed). It works, but it sometimes does take a while to sell.

1g pet problem: I just checked the pets for sale, and about 23 pages of the pets for sale cost 1g. Most of them were sold by the same two people, and the pets had many genes and decent colors? *what do I know about art*
I guess maybe there should be a base price, but the only problem is if you're trying to do a free genetic test or give a pet for free (as close to free as possible). Sure the 1g pets are great for newbies, but after a while their stables are sadly loaded with pets that they might not really want. And then they'll have to release it. Or sell it again for 1g. >.< I think there isn't really much of a problem with selling trashy pets or random pets for 1g, but I feel like there is. Part of that problem, I think, stems from the breeding costs.
You can own one male Zolnixi with 6vis, and then go up and down the Advanced Search breeding with all females that aren't recovering and that cost 1g. There were 107 pages of them (I just checked). Ones that weren't recovering that cost 1g. This doesn't include the ones that cost 2g or 3g. And there are 5 pets per page. 535 new pets for 535g.... and there's nothing stopping someone from doing that, besides the pain of opening of so many pages and having to click a lot.
And then there are 535 new pets D: If this one person was particularly persistent, they might repeat this every three days because that's when pets finish recovering. Maybe every day because other pets recover during that time. In a week there are way too many new pets, and although some might be released due to stable overcrowding, they might just put them up for 1g... and the cycle somehow repeats. A lot.
I don't know anyone who would be that persistent, but... if I did that with 40 pets a week, I think someone with more time can do more.
--- the main point is that with just one male pet, someone can go through the Advanced Search and breed with almost all the females up there... there should be some sort of limit to that, right? Maybe limit the amount of times a male pet can breed, per day. This'll most likely affect projects in some way, so maybe limit that to the pets that the user doesn't own. That might help? Again, I don't really know much about this, but hey, I tried :) --
Asviloka
Level 70
Ghost Writer
Threads: 89
Posted: 9/30/2019 at 8:08 PM Post #67
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=80202&page=7#62
Author: Xavion
Time Posted: 9/24/2019 at 4:26 PM
esp since the serious breeders would prob have a ton of ap from nurturing

I can't *not* debunk what was said above...

I'm a serious breeder.

I do not nurture pets.

Nurturing pets is tedious and time consuming, time which I will likely never have to waste on nurturing since most of my time spent here is sorting>breeding>hatching>releasing>sorting>breeding, etc, etc, in an endless loop.

Players do, however, acquire 20 AP points for every pet they breed. Thanks to that I'm up to about 800k, so hatchery pages bought with AP would still work.

But, ah... yeah.... nurturing = no thank you, I have more pressing matters to tend to.

So far as the economic dilemma goes, my suggestion is, always has been, always will be, this:

Make an NPC that buys pets for scales - even if it just a measly one little scale per pet. Currently the ONLY way to get scales is nurturing. Like I said above, I don't have time for that. But I would like scales, I'm sure many people who can't stand nurturing would as well, and scales are useful.

For these mass-breeders, if instead they could just trade in some of those ugly dishwater pets and get some scales, maybe they'd feel inclined to buy some pet dyes and make an actual PROJECT for a change.

*looks at the 80+ pets that were given the boot today already* Yup... scales would be great. Now back to sorting.

I support this suggestion.
Bluejellybeans
Level 65
Cutely Creative
Threads: 10
Posted: 10/1/2019 at 6:14 PM Post #68
I was reading through the latest sylestia times article (specifically the one about overbreeding) and had a few small ideas that i thought could be put in here for discussion

Sylesties can be sold to an npc for a small amount of gold (maybe based on traits and tags?) I'd say 100g per visible and 50g per carry?

Mass release option?

Small fee to put something up for sale, lets say like 50g, it (hopefully) won't harm project breeders all that much, but newbies who are selling 20 randomly bred pets will be inclined not to.
It would cost a project breeder only 5000g to sell 100 pets.

Feel free to criticize, just wanted to add these if nobody else has yet
Orcastration
Level 73
Fishy
Threads: 316
Posted: 10/1/2019 at 9:22 PM Post #69
But ten you have the "free pet giveaway for newbies" thing......um....yeah.

(shortest post on this thread lol)
Bluejellybeans
Level 65
Cutely Creative
Threads: 10
Posted: 10/1/2019 at 9:48 PM Post #70
Yeah you're probably right but it would still cost 50g to set a pet up for 1g
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.