Posted: 12/31/2018 at 7:38 PM Post #1

(Our Mascot)

Directory
I. Introduction and Q&A (here)
II. Our Employees and Our Work
III. Ethical Journalism and Important News
IV. Archives & Subscribers List

V. Already Done

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the Sylestia Times?
The Times was (is) a newspaper for sylestia, originally started by Everlost then later brought back by Galaxyrose. It was released every month and highlighted the things that happened, spotlighted artists, players, and printed interviews from community members about topics that occurred that month. It was a fun way to summarize what happened over a month of sylestia and another way to bring a voice to the community.

How Does It Work?
- Each member starts writing/researching/drawing for their assigned article
-Once You've finished you'll be sending your work to one of our lovely editors (Just me atm)
-They will go through your work, clean it up, then send the newly edited article to me, once I have everyone's article I'll format it and organize it then post it in General discussion as a full "Sylestia Times Issue".

When do issues come out?
It's hard to tell, but we'll be aiming for the end of the month for each issue, there is an easy way to be notified which of course is joining our subscription (ping list) it's completely free! Just let me know you wish to subscribe to the Times and you'll be pinged when each issue comes out.

Ad Options
Just finished a project and looking to seel the offspring? Cleaning out your stables? Or maybe you have some avatar items for sale? Well let me know and I can put a little add about youre thread, or sale in the next issue!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you've been pinged it's because you've worked on this before. If you are still interested in working on this please reply! (Feel free to include suggestions for articles, updates, or things we should add) if you're not sorry to bother you and feel free to ignore this ping.

@Galaxy I know you are still on Hiatus but I pinged you just in case ^-^

Alright I'm gonna reserve some posts and clean this up a tad.
Edited By Grapejuice on 8/31/2019 at 3:55 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 155
Posted: 12/31/2018 at 7:38 PM Post #2
Our Employees
1. Grapejuice ~ Chief of Newspaper, Formatter
2. Ingiman1 ~ Researcher, Writer of the Player Spotlight
3. Vigil ~ Illustrator
4.CeruleanCrow ~ Writer of the Golden Breeds
5. Aquila ~ Editor
6. Shardial ~ Editor, Co-Chief Comic Illustrator
7. Griffinlokison ~ Writer of Short Tales, Co-Chief Comic Illustrator
8. Orca2whale ~ Writer
9. Lalalanmao ~ Writer of Artists Among Us, Part of the Games Section
10. Limor ~ Writer of the Newbie tips, Designer's guide Part of the Games Section, Illustrator for the comic
11. Winternova668 ~ Researcher
12. Sweden ~ Part of the comic, Illustrator

Sign-Up Form
User ID:
Username:
What you want to do for the Times:
Have you had any experience with something like this before?:
Any extras:

Positions (optional)
(if you have something else you want to do in mind that isn't on here or maybe a mix of a couple of these you can still put that in your form! These are more suggestions than expected.)

Writers
We are always looking for people to write the articles! These can range from Current events to Newbie spotlights, to battling suggestions! You write the articles and hand them in too the editor for cleaning up before publication!

Editors
It isn't exactly a spotlight job but certainly an important and needed one! It's a lot of work though and takes time. You will be receiving all the articles and editing them, cleaning them up, and catching spelling or grammar mistakes before you send them off to publication.

Illustrators
We always need people to draw some art for the times! Whether it's a banner, some art for certain articles, or even title designs it's appreciated and welcomed! Of course, you will be credited with drawings you submit. Sometimes it'll be something specific but most of the time you'll likely have a fair bit of creative liberty.

Researchers
If you aren't comfortable sharing your art, or aren't confident in your writing skills thats okay! It takes a lot of time to find all the information you need and we don't always have time for that, so it's greatly appreciated when someone else can gather the info you need to write or draw something for the paper. You'll be researching a topic and working alongside with the writers to create articles!

Article Suggestions
Just a list of ideas of what some of the articles can be or what else we can put in the times, names, of course, can be changed, ideas modified, they are just suggestions or can be used as building blocks

So, What Happened? ~Me
This was in previous issues and was quite popular it's mostly a quick summary if what happened and is usually the opener for the paper. If you want examples from Previous issues ping/pm me and I'll send them to you.

Short Tales ~Griffin
This was brought up in the previous reboot of the times but never actually followed through, basically, readers can send in short stories written after a prompt in the newspaper and in the next months addition a couple of enteries are picked and featured in this section along with the next prompt.

Games Section ~ Limor, Jammer, Mao, Freki
A small section with word puzzles, cryptograms, and little mini-games for readers to enjoy and solve.

Newbie Tips ~Limor
A section with advice from older / more experience players giving newbies advice on the game and perhaps answering some questions that newbies can send in. This was done in earlier issues of the times pm/ping me for the links to them.

Designer's Guide ~Limor
some advice for those who have been around for a while, perhaps ways to pass the time? unique and creative 3ways to keep you busy for a while, this has been done before pm/ping me for the previous examples

Ask Sadie ~ Me and Jammer
Basically, ask a sylesti. Readers send in questions and the sylesti answers them, we can decide who this sylesti is later on. This was done in earlier issues of the times pm/ping me for the links to them.

Golden Breeds ~Ceru
a column all about breeding, can include tips, but from previous examples was mostly used to showcase a certain breeding project (can be old or new) and was followed up with a little interview by the creator of the design. This was done in earlier issues of the times pm/ping me for the links to them.

Artists Among Us ~Mao
This section Showcases some art by different people on sylestia, some can be the writer or "Staffs" picks while others can be suggestion from the readers. Just make sure you ask the artist permission before you post their work, and give credit where credit is due. This was done in earlier issues of the times pm/ping me for the links to them.

A Comic ~ Griffin, Shard, Vigil, Limor
the comic is run by Griffinlokison and Shardial, if you are interested in writing a comic first sign-up here then i'll send you their way. Discussion thread is here
~more coming~
Edited By Grapejuice on 4/1/2019 at 1:22 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 12/31/2018 at 7:38 PM Post #3
Ethical Journalism
Did you know in real life Journalism has a code it needs to follow? it's true! It's called the SPJ Code of Ethics. I thought it would be a good idea to take a look at what some of that entails, not a necessary read but an informative and interesting one nonetheless.

It is built on four main principles, with a bunch of more specific details fitting into these categories, it would be wise to follow these in all journalism, as it stops writers from becoming corrupt and spinning lies simply for profit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is taken directly from the Society of Professional Journalism

Seek Truth and Report It
Ethical journalism should be accurate and fair. Journalists should be honest and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting information.
Journalists should:

- Boldly tell the story of the diversity and magnitude of the human experience. Seek sources whose voices we seldom hear.

- Be vigilant and courageous about holding those with power accountable. Give voice to the voiceless.

- Remember that neither speed nor format excuses inaccuracy.

Minimize Harm
Ethical journalism treats sources, subjects, colleagues and members of the public as human beings deserving of respect.
Journalists should:
- Balance the publics need for information against potential harm or discomfort. Pursuit of the news is not a license for arrogance or undue intrusiveness.

- Show compassion for those who may be affected by news coverage. Use heightened sensitivity when dealing with juveniles, victims of sex crimes, and sources or subjects who are inexperienced or unable to give consent. Consider cultural differences in approach and treatment.

- Avoid pandering to lurid curiosity, even if others do.

Act Independently
The highest and primary obligation of ethical journalism is to serve the public.
Journalists should:

- Refuse gifts, favors, fees, free travel and special treatment, and avoid political and other outside activities that may compromise integrity or impartiality, or may damage credibility.

- Distinguish news from advertising and shun hybrids that blur the lines between the two. Prominently label sponsored content.

- Be wary of sources offering information for favors or money; do not pay for access to news. Identify content provided by outside sources, whether paid or not.

Be Accountable and Transparent
Ethical journalism means taking responsibility for ones work and explaining ones decisions to the public.
Journalists should:

- Acknowledge mistakes and correct them promptly and prominently. Explain corrections and clarifications carefully and clearly.

- Expose unethical conduct in journalism, including within their organizations.

- Explain ethical choices and processes to audiences. Encourage a civil dialogue with the public about journalistic practices, coverage and news content.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is only a portion of what they suggest you do for ethical journalism, I have simply picked out a couple that stood out to me and written them here to give you the basic gist of it. If you would like a more in-depth look go here for the full list.

Important News
- January's Edition Deadline is: January 27th get in all your articles, illustrations, and the like in by then.
Edited By Grapejuice on 1/1/2019 at 7:41 PM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 12/31/2018 at 7:39 PM Post #4
Archives

The Sylestia Times - August 2013
The Sylestia Times - September 2013
The Sylestia Times - October 2013
The Sylestia Time - November 2013
The Sylestia Times - December 2013
The Sylestia Times - February and March 2014
SYLESTIA TIMES: EDITION ONE
The Sylestia Times - January 2019
The Sylestia Times - February 2019
The Sylestia Times - March 2019
The Sylestia Times - April 2019
The Sylestia Times - May 2019
The Sylestia Times - June 2019
The Sylestia Times - July and August 2019

Subscribers
Silverfur2078, Harleyc, Sapphirethewolf9339, Savynn, UpsidedownSarah, Kenywi, Falkinsey, Cinderheart, Katelle, Harajuko, Caw, Firegem1401, Mondschatten, Erelachan, Varyntha, Ashhh, SugarMapleWings, Flightofthedragon, Dinnerbone, Laninafresa, AC9123, Godiva, Dragondawn, Unstaeble, Superocelot02
Edited By Grapejuice on 8/31/2019 at 3:45 AM.
Ingiman1
Level 40
Threads: 37
Posted: 12/31/2018 at 8:11 PM Post #5
User ID: 82285
Username: Ingiman1
What you want to do for the Times: Write and I can also be a researcher
Have you had any experience with something like this before?: Yepp! I did the last one (with galaxy)
Any extras: I can do the User spotlight if you like!
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 12/31/2018 at 8:17 PM Post #6
Previously Done
Ask Sadie
Questions Asked:
Do you have a favourite sport to play?
"Well, I just LOVE to play fairy ball, which is a fun sport where a fairy mushroom is mixed in upon poisonous mushrooms and the two teams have to find the fairy mushroom first then get it to their side! I'm very good at finding the fairy mushroom."

What's the funniest thing you've done?
"Okay, don't tell anyone but I once thought my tail was a vulnyx trying to steal my food so I chased it around for hours! Grapejuice couldn't stop laughing about it for days!"

If you could have any magic power what would it be?
"Well silly I already have a magic power! I'm attuned to water after all, but I gotta say I love being able to create a massive tidal wave!"

What do you do when your owner isn't around?
"I hang out with the other sylesti she has, we play around in the stables, guard them against intruders (although most intruders tend to be leaves) and sleep."

What's your favourite place to explore in sylestia?
"Oh this one is a difficult one! I'd have to say Sweet Blossom Orchards for myself, I just love to sneak some bites out of those delicious fresh apples! Shh don't tell Grapejuice I said that, she doesn't like me taking food that isn't mine."

Why does catching you in traps earn your loyalty?
"Well once we see that, they don't intend to hurt us and in fact want to help us survive it's a pretty easy switch! The strong survive right? And I've gotten so much stronger with Grapejuice, plus the free chow isn't half bad!"

What is your least favourite place in Sylestia?
"To be perfectly honest? Astryl's Tranquility, those little water sprites just make me so mad! Ooo I can see their stupid floating watery forms every time I close my eyes!"

Which is your least favourite enemy?
"See above! There is no benefit whatsoever to the natural order from them existing."

Sadie, what is your opinion of mass breeding?
Oh boy, this seems like a loaded question! Um, well when our owners don't have enough room for us it's very alarming because we're suddenly kicked out into the wild and left to fend for ourselves! Thankfully as sylesti our instincts are razor-sharp and most of us manage to land on our feet, however, it's still a little jarring! As long as our owners have the room and can offer us a loving home I have no quarrel with it.

If you were given the Philter of Amnesia, what would you change your name too?
Sadie is already a pretty cool name but I guess if I could choose I'd choose Sam!

What element would you say is the best to be attuned too?
I wouldn't say there's any best element but my personal favourite (and the one I'm attuned too!) is Water

Player Spotlight
Previously Spotlighted Players:
Aamore, Savynn, Britters,

Artist's Among Us
Previous Artists Featured:
Sylvauna, Ley, Nightbanewolf, Limor, Vigil, LuciDatum, Unstaeble
Edited By Grapejuice on 8/31/2019 at 4:03 AM.
Vigy
Level 65
Trickster
Threads: 127
Posted: 12/31/2018 at 9:34 PM Post #7
User ID: 80844

Username: Vigil

What you want to do for the Times: An Illustrator!

Have you had any experience with something like this before?: Art, 100% yes, drawing things for the Sylestia Times? Nope, but I'm sure it can't be that hard!

Any extras: Nope!
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 12/31/2018 at 9:40 PM Post #8
awesome! Welcome aboard, I guess my first question is what are you comfortable drawing? is there anything specific you had in mind that you wanted to do?
Vigy
Level 65
Trickster
Threads: 127
Posted: 12/31/2018 at 9:42 PM Post #9
Hmm, possibly little banners for each part?

I'm comfortable with Animals mostly.
Edited By Vigil on 12/31/2018 at 9:42 PM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 12/31/2018 at 9:49 PM Post #10
alright, that sounds like a good idea, I think it would especially benefit the So, what happened? article perhaps themed on a big event that happened that month?
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3... 35, 36, 37
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.