Forum Index > General Discussion > The Sylestia Time - November 2013
Page 1 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Threads: 116
Posted: 11/30/2013 at 12:27 PM Post #1
Edited By Everlost on 12/4/2013 at 8:14 AM.
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/4/2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2
BREAKING NEWS

This month's avatar items have been released. They include Furious, Beautiful, and Elegant avatar sets filled with their specific preset colored items. You can also purchase separate recolor able items such as the tails, robes, and head items.

Trick or Treating and chocolate coins were added into the fall festival. Chocolate coins gave you access to special avatar items and were obtained via nurturing, killing named, from handful of candy, and of course; trick or treating.

A dynamic event was added to the fall festival which was triggered by stages. Turn in pumpkins, Fight zombies, and KILL THE HORSEMAN. Rewards included handful of candies, chocolate coins, armor, and if lucky; special avatar items.

The winter game winners were announced and those that participated got a prize too!
Avatar Dress Up Participant - Title: The Whimsical
Design a Fall Festival Gene Participant - Windy Pumpkin Wand
Design a Fall Festival Mutation Participant - Windy Pumpkin Wand
Design a Fall Festival Avatar Item Participant - Windy Pumpkin Wand
Pumpkin Carving Participant - Windy White Pumpkin Wand
Art Contest Participant - Windy White Pumpkin Wand

A new AMAZING (or to some hilarious) mutation was implemented into the game for qitari.

Article by Cerberus
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/4/2013 at 7:39 AM Post #3
Behind the Scenes-A Notice

Hello. We had planned on interviewing one of the site artists for this edition. Unfortunately, the artist turned down our offer to be in the Newspaper. Our other option was out of town and offline. We also didn't have time to find and interview someone else. So, instead, I've written you a little something so that this spot isn't completely blank.

Behind the Scenes-The Newspaper Story

The Sylestia Times Newspaper was created by Everlost and, to this day, still exists. She and her valiant companions fought nobly to conquer writer's block, art block, and the occasional stubborn interviewee. They battled ill-timed vacations and unexpected school essays. The Fall Festival gave them a challenge, for they could not resist, the temptation to forget their work and go play. They conquered these foes above all odds!

How did they do this?

They worked together. The second-in-command, Selestial, would take on the leader's work when she became too weary to go on. New recruits would fight for their elders and contribute new works. They lost people to their enemies and were saddened by their defeat, but they still trudged on.

Never did they give up and never did they surrender.

If you were mentioned in this Story (stubborn interviewee, ill-timed vacations, or school essays). Sorry if you took offense. I did not mention your names specifically and, please remember, this is just a funny little story/pep talk to read and laugh at. I don't view any of you in a bad way.

Articles by Everlost
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/4/2013 at 7:52 AM Post #4

Sheechwan, as you may know, took a little vacation from Sylestia a month or two ago. She also missed being in the Newspaper. You see, we made her the User Spotlight for that

1) So, how long have you been a member Shee?

Errrrr... *Go see her Profile Page* I'm here since 19th of December 2012.
Wow, time sure fly, it's almost a year, I got to celebrate that with a Raffle... o.o
Now what to use...

2) What did you think of Sylestia when you first joined?

I actually first wasn't sure if I'd like it, I only joined because I was bored of PokeFarm, took me two days before I joined, saying I'll try one day or two and see if I like... Took me 1 hour and I felt in love with this site!
I loved how the Admins were so close to their users and how the community was so warm and friendly, after PokeFarm, I was almost expecting everything to be the same and didn't had great expectations about here, but it blown it! XD

3) Did anyone help you learn your way around Sylestia? If so, who?

I'm going to be frank, I have a small memory and can't really recall much who helped me, but I do remember being helped around lots!
(Especially since it's been almost a year, I'm such a forgetful being that I have to keep reminder about everything important to not lose it!)

4) How many newbies would you say you've mentored or helped in all your months as a Sylestian?

I didn't took any newbies under my wings, just answered Questions here and there, I always love to help when I can!

5) You were part of the Newbie Mentoring system for quite a while. Did you enjoy your experience as an official Mentor?

I say I enjoyed and think this Program is really great, but I think last month I've been a terrible mentor, I couldn't really get on everyday...

6) You help out with the RAC and FAC, correct? What has that been like for you?

Yes! I'm the RAC/FAC's Stables! *giggles*
I even bought a 5th Stable to separate FAC and RAC's pets!
I'm really touched that somebody thought about me for helping into this Project.(Yes I'm talking to you Savynn, thanks!)
I could never had the idea myself, I would just have ran Free Pet Raffles everytime I could.

So much could be told about it!

7) Could you give us an estimate on how many users have you've helped get pets through the RAC and FAC?

By heart... no... but wait I'm getting my phone. *rummages in her pockets* No... no... AH! *hold her phone high* Now we'll know! I try to keep a list of Users and pets given away, it's easier to have it on my phone as I can bring it anywhere, but not my computer!
Hopefully, I have missed nobody and those stats should be exact :
22 Users Helped and 43 pets given!
Maybe more if I failed to input someone, but I don't think so. :3

8) Overall, how has your experience been with Sylestia?

I've always been really happy around Sylestia, I don't know what I could say more that I didn't said thousands of time before, because I enjoy pretty much everything around here!
I love how they keep us up-to-date on everything or almost, I'm always scared of change, being told before prepare myself to changes and react less aggressively to them, making it easy to appreciate even more Sylestia!

9) Do you have anything you'd like to say to the community?

Let's see...
Be kind to everyone and continue being so great guys! I love you much! ^3^

Article by Everlost

This month, our newbie was to be Briluna. Unfortunatley, though she is active, Briluna has not seen nor replied to my PMs. Because I'd rather not have to explain to her that I had to pick someone else to be Newbie Spotlight, I'm leaving this without an interview. If/When she returns my PMs, I'll post the Interview here and re-ping all the subscribers. Thanks!

Article by Everlost
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/4/2013 at 7:58 AM Post #5

Hi everyone, welcome to Flute's Notes, and happy holidays! c:
With the Thanksgiving Festivities and the aftermath of the Fall Festival, it seems like a lot is happening, not to mention the Winter Festival's imminent coming (along with Sylestia's First Anniversary)!

I don't have too many tips...I'm afraid I have exhausted them all!
However, I want to help you guys budget for the Festivities, juuust in case. It's a shame when you don't have enough money for traps and see a pet go by that looks really awesome or could be worth a lot. x: So here's some general tips to have some change in your wallet and benefit in your schedule throughout the season!

1. Save a double-digit number of traps for pets you really wanna catch!
Most users that are new to playing the game don't have enough gold to buy a lot of traps. However, by doing missions (check the Guides forum on how to set up mission pets), you can get a lot of potions, elixirs, revivals, and gold, which will cut down on your budget by a lot, leaving more for traps.
That being said, with so many pets out there, be sure that when you're trapping them, you know for sure whether you want them or not. You should also check their rarity based on the color of the stars on their name (uncommon yielding 1gp, a carried trait, or rare yielding 2gp, either a visible or 2 traits, and so on). The ability to catch rare pets depends on the traps you have.
I recommend, if your user level is:
0-20: buy 10 lesser trap snares (amounting to 10,000g)
21-40: buy 10 standard trap snares (amounting to 25,000g)
41-60: buy 10+ strong trap snares (amounting to 75,000g or more, but it's assumed by this level you know now to get enough gold for them), and 20~ standard trap snares (50,000g)
If you have multiple traps and you see a pet you really, really like, you can throw multiple traps at them without fearing being unable to catch them due to lack of traps. :)

Protip: While there's a certain amount of success added to catching pets when they're damaged, it is ALRIGHT and RECOMMENDED you throw traps from the first turn. Personally, I think the benefit of damaging a pet hardly makes a dent, and they still have a chance of fleeing, PLUS you can accidentally kill the pet in the attempt to lower their health. Emphasize trap usage moreso than damaging the pet if you really want to catch it, and be careful not to kill it. Also, make sure you check your log to see the outcome of each trap you spend.

2. Manage your farming time wisely.
"Farming" is gamer-speak for spending minutes to hours in a specific area of the game trying to get something specifically from said area (whether it's a certain pet, or a drop from a certain boss). I recommend that while you should prioritize your time.
-TAKE BREAKS IF YOU NEED THEM. I do not recommend losing sleep over Sylestia, it's unhealthy. :I If you're complaining and feeling actual pain in your body from toiling in a map for 4 hours straight, please, please take a break from the computer and lay down or go outside or eat a snack, something. :c
-Venture to other areas of the map for bosses. Bosses, such as the banshees and the barghests from the Fall Festival, have a timer for their respawn after their defeat. So long as you say in the zone, you can just farm in a certain area away from their area of the map, then come back to them. Albeit they may have a low chance of dropping their items or appearing, it doesn't hurt to try if you're proficient at battling them. c: (That being said, if you think you can't defeat them, train your pets in the area and equip them well before you face off with them.)

3. Ask and listen to fellow users for tips in the Zone Chat and Forums!
A lot of other users take part in the festivities (after all, 50-100+ people can be in the zone at one time lol). Some may have info to offer to you, such as information on where bosses are, maps being made of the area, the names of rare pets that appear, what items drop from what things, and so on. A lot of this information is probably floating around in the chat, but if you ask nicely, other users would be glad to help you get to know the Zone.
Protip: Please be courteous on any social media, including the Zone Chats, Chatrooms, and Forums. Whether it's game-related or not, a lot of users just want to have fun, so no mean-talk or anything. \o/ Just share the joy of the holidays!

Thank you all for reading my tips, and I hope you share them with everyone you know on the site if you think they're helpful. c: I wish you good luck over the holidays if you're spending it on Sylestia, and good wishes and wellness over the holiday festivities if you're celebrating it with family and friends. Take care, Sylestians!

Article by Flute
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/4/2013 at 8:00 AM Post #6

Hello, everyone! I apologize for not being able to do this last month, and I hope I make up for it this month with a more in-depth and detailed report.

Ny'Vene: Prices are falling, falling, falling! Even a visible trait can only bring a price for one of these dragons up to about 5k, and multi-vis is unlikely to go for more than 50k. Even a six traited Ny'Vene won't bring you in more than maybe 70k, if you're lucky. What we are learning, though: It's all about the genes. Essence of Flames/Storms? Tiger Stripes? Cecropia Markings? Ancient Runes? Forget it. Even setting yours cheap, good luck selling, because everyone has those traits. But Nebula? Essence of Storms? Anything new, and even more rare traits like Quad Arms, Ram Horns, or Yellow Anaconda can sky rocket your price up greatly. A visible of one of the newly released traits can bring a price up to 150k even with nothing else in any gene slot!

Puffadore: New genes are once again the name of the game for selling your Puffs! Forget about Arcanic Runes, Totemic Runes are in demand right now, as is Glow Critter and Feathered Wings. While researching, even I was compelling to buy myself a lovely little boy with some of these new traits! These little guys aren't as low as our dragons, though: a 2vis2carry can bring you up to about 40k, much more if those are new traits. Only one visible with the old traits can get you about 6k - 20k, depending on the carries and the gender of the Puff. Females are, as with every species, in a much higher demand than males, and roughly 10k can be tacked on for gender if you're selling a girl.

Nephini: Gender is the name of the game in Sylestia's most expensive species. The new genes may up the prices some, but for the most part, they stay fairly even. The deciding factor here is whether you're selling a male or a female. Regardless of her traits, you're going to be hard pressed to find a female Nephini under 20k. Males can be bought as cheap as 2.5k for no vis or carries, carries will raise his price to about 10k, and a visible to about 15k. From there, it only goes up, and quickly. Multiple carries can bring a price up to about 50k, and multiple visibles up to 100k+.

Ryori: I'm proud to bring about our first report on the newest species: the Ryori! These were only available during the Fall Festival, but thanks to how many were captured, the price is likely to stay relatively low. Number of traits is what matters here, and gender as well. Let's start with the males: nothing or one carry won't bring you more than 1k. Add a second carry, you might get 3-4k, depending on the carries. Add a third carry and the price starts to spike, heading closer to 10k, and a fourth carry can bring you up to 15k. Throw a visible in there, and suddenly your price can be upwards of 25k or even 30k, double visibles going upwards of 50k, especially if there are carries as well. Females go for relatively the same with roughly 5k added on in the lower GP range, and for the hgher, up to 20k more than a male with the same amount of GP.

I hope this made up for my absence last month! ^^ If anyone has a request for a pet they'd like to having the pricing but down for in next month's addition, feel free to let me know! I'll be sure to include it.

Article by Selestial
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/4/2013 at 8:02 AM Post #7
A Plea to Breeders

The community on this site is astoundingly generous. We welcome newcomers to the site not only with open arms, but with presents. We want everyone to have access to everything. I was given these gifts as a newbie, and I've given them out myself since them. The community is miraculous, and that is a wonderful thing. I only hope as the site grows it stays that way.

However, since I have been doing the monthly economic standing and even before then, I've noticed something that is, to me at least, a little sad. The depreciation of prices on hard to obtain sylestia such as Ny'Venes, Nephinins, and Puffadores.

I can remember distinctly a time, within the first two weeks after my friend and I had discovered this site, a received a phone-call from her (Roe). She was calling to tell me that'd she'd bought a female Ny'Vene for about 200k - a female Ny'Vene! There were only about seven others for sale on the site at that time, and all of them were a good deal more than the female she had bought, which was an untested lady with no visible traits. From then on, she and I monitored the Ny'Venes sales like hawks. I managed to snag an untested, no vis male for 35k, but I was so worried it had been a misprice that I PMed the previous owner to make sure! It wasn't because I was a newbie unaware of prices, as Roe and I, while new to Sylestia, are not new to sites such as Sylestia, but merely that Ny'Venes were rare and hard to obtain.

I can't describe how sad it makes me to see them going for prices little more than those of any regular Sylesti that can be captured in the wild. The same goes for the Puffadore and Nephini - since their release I've monitored the sales on them to track prices and watched as they dropped, and dropped, and dropped. Over-breeding, a distaste for releasing, a desire to price lower to sell quicker, and just the general generosity of the community have made these rare, hard-to-obtain pets that at one point had to be worked toward no more rare than any other species.

I may be alone, but I find that rather sad. It takes away from the excitement of being gifted one of these rare pets, or from finally managing to get one on your own. So this is my plea to breeders, and an oath I'll be taking myself from now on:

I will not price my pets low just because the market for them is low. I want to try and raise the market back up, and it has to start somewhere. I won't sell Puffs for less than the eggs that can be bought in the shop, and the same will go for Ny'Venes. As for Nephinis, I'll likely not price them lower than 100k. I won't add to the depreciation of value. If I have to release them, then so be it. And I also will not flood the market with all my cast-off hatchlings. I'll mark some of the ones I don't want for sale, auction others, and release the ones that don't meet my standards for sale or auction.

I can't honestly say I expect it to happen, but I do hope some other members will join me in refusing to add to the lessening of the value on these hard to obtain species and others as well that I haven't mentioned, such as Lighira and Ryori.

Article by Selestial

It's a Comic!

Comic by Taptothebeat
Edited By Everlost on 12/4/2013 at 8:23 AM.
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/4/2013 at 8:03 AM Post #8
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/4/2013 at 8:12 AM Post #9
Note to ALL!

I do realize that this Edition was rather......short. Why is this? Many of the employees were on vacation, without access to Sylestia, or were too burned out from the Fall Festival to even look at Sylestia. We had a few unseen roadblocks. However, we cannot blame this solely on coincidence and bad luck.

It is also my fault.

After the Fall Festival, I felt way too tired to go on with Sylestia. I neglected the site, my pets, and the Newspaper. I shirked my duties and now I'm paying for it.

There was supposed to be a longer Behind the Scenes this month. I was going to have an article from Krin. Unfortunately, I completely forgot, and by the time I remembered, it was too late. I forgot, many times, about that PM that I was going to send to the other Newspaper Employees. I forgot to remind them of the upcoming deadline.

You see, most of this was my fault. Sure, there were a few people that simply couldn't get an article finished. Sure, there were some people that we couldn't convince to help us. But, all in all, it's me.

So, I want to apologize. I plan to do better. Savynn and Selestial will help me with that. ;) Sorry if this affected you in anyway.

Article by Everlost, Newspaper Editor
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/4/2013 at 8:13 AM Post #10
You may now post!
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.