Edited By Limor on 5/1/2019 at 8:45 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 293
Posted: 5/1/2019 at 8:41 PM Post #2

Written by Limor, edited by Limor

Spring Festival

So for this fine month of May we have the spring fest! Lot's of exciting new features have been added this fest and Krinadon has added in many new exciting features. As well as a new restricted trait for all species we have the new shared garden which is just starting off tonight with the first event, faelora! We also have the reintroduction of the Egg Hunt, with lots of new opportunities for outfits and themed.

We have the return of the Sylestia garden, where you can grow and nurture your own themed syesltia babies! Remember to nurture and help each out as you can get festival currency as well from helping out your fellow players! (And a chance to get titles!)

This month we have a new restricted trait set for the Ferrikki's and a new trait that cover's all species, Spring Blossoms.

More info can be found on the spring fest here in the overview and a list of themed, made by Ebonyflicker, can be found here. Remember to also check out all the games and contests run by our admins here! See you all next month and until then, enjoy the rest of the article!
Edited By Limor on 5/1/2019 at 9:00 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2019 at 8:41 PM Post #3
~ A Message from Grapejuice ~
Can I just start by saying thank you to Limor for her hard work to get this issue of the times up and running on extremely short notice? Really send any thanks and praise for this issue to her. She's worked very hard to get this up practically by herself. Now as for the reason why this is late, it's mostly due to the fact that it completely slipped my mind. I'd recently missed two weeks of school and had a lot of catch-up to do, I've only been able to get on sylestia for a couple minutes a day if even that. I'm terribly sorry for this inconvenience and will strive to get May's issue out in time. Until then enjoy this issue from the hard work and dedication of Limor and I'll see you all next month!
- Grapejuice
Edited By Limor on 5/1/2019 at 9:02 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2019 at 8:41 PM Post #4

Written by Limor, Guest-starring Faiona and CeruleanCrow, Edited by Limor
Hey all and welcome to the fourth Designer's Tips and Tricks! With this article we get a special look into the admin's job and process when it comes to the themed picking task. We will also be taking a quick look into color theory as well as a special themed spring design with CeruleanCrown!

A few links to check out when making designs are:
Themed pet reference pages by Xavion
Comprehensive Guide to Themed Pets by Lavelle
Guide to Themed Pet Contests by Scathreoite

~ Interview with Faiona ~
So in this column we have a special interview with Faiona, who is one of the sites admin's and works along side Krinadon. She was in charge of choosing the themed this fest and here is a look into her process.

1. So when looking for new themes what type of ideas are you looking for in a design? ((What it's based off of, creativity, ect))
When looking for new Themeds, I try to find ones that I personally find attractive as well as look at a list of the current Themed for that species so that there aren't any that are too similar.

2. When choosing a design to be made an official themes what sort of colors do you find most appealing? ((Warm and cold colors, lots of contrast, earthy tones, etc))
It's hard to pick out which colors I personally find the most appealing, as I think any colors can look beautiful if the entirety of the Themed is well planned out and everything works together.

3. How hard is it in general to narrow down designs to the 1-2 collar pallets per species to be made official?
It's an extremely hard task. First I go through the thread, which takes several hours, and find choices for each species that I like. After I look through the thread, I would say that on average I had picked out at least 10 designs per species, so having to narrow down to two or even one choice out of the 10 or so choices is very difficult

4. What would you suggest to newer players looking to enter the theme contests?
I would try your best to make sure that all of the color slots go well together. There are a lot of times where I see an example that I really like, but when I inspect it closer in the generator I see that a lot of the colors are the exact same or even sometimes people leave color slots blank. Even though you just present one picture of set traits for your design to be picked, it's extremely important that all of the traits look well together.

Another thing I will say is to do your best to try and look at the old previous Themed and if you notice, say that there are a lot of green Draeyl Themed, try to not enter a green based Draeyl design. But instead choose a different color that hasn't been used as much for that species.

5. Anything else you'd like to say?
Krinadon and I are extremely grateful for everyone that takes so much time to design and share their entries. Going through the Themed thread every festival is always one of the things that I look forward to. I love how huge a part of our website is community design based and driven.

~ Color Theory ~
"In the visual arts, color theory or colour theory is a body of practical guidance to color mixing and the visual effects of a specific color combination. There are also definitions (or categories) of colors based on the color wheel: primary color, secondary color, and tertiary color." (Wikipedia)

Color theory is a principle in art to help artists mix pleasing colors together. Primary colors are our main colors - red, blue, and yellow. After that we our secondary - orange, purple, and green. Tertiary colors are mixes of those colors. When using a color wheel and color theory you can now much easier make designs with pleasing colors.

When looking at a color wheel you can use it to help you find colors that compliment each other.

Colors directly across from each other usually look the most pleasing and, in general, you can just take a look at a color wheel to find colors that look good together. Remember to always experiment with colors as just using complimentary colors can really damper your design! Just because blue and yellow aren't 'complimentary' doesn't mean they don't look wonderful together!

Another thing to keep in mind are warm and cool colors. Warm colors will always stand out more, or the foreground, and cold colors will stand back, the background. The bottom of the wheel (or darker colors) are the cool colors and the warm colors are on top. Just keep in mind how these color values work together when making a design. So if you want to push a color forward make it more summery and warm, and if you want it to take a step back, make it more cold and wintery!

~ Designing a theme ~
Hey all! So in this section me and CeruleanCrow both made a design based on the prompt "Soft Skies".

The idea behind this is like the skies in spring mornings that are soft with pinks and yellows. (as with the spring fest the prompt was spring themed!) So I designed a ryori and Crow made a Rikki.

CeruleanCrow
Base Colors
Base colors are hard to choose for a themed, especially based around lightness. So in this design for the Ferrikki, I choose to use a darker tone in the base colors. I placed it in the main coat to give the pet a base where the lighter colors can really pop out. I found mostly cool colors to be prominent here, so as a compliment to that, the Ferrikki will have a soft yellow in eye color.

Genes
For genes I hand thumb through all of them, even restricted, to make sure that each one works in regards to the pet. With a light color being present in the C3 slot, I decided to work in a severely light in the G1 slot, in order to pop against the dark and make the soft teal in C3 remain present. As for G2 and G3, we work differently here. C3 shows up on the Ferrikki's tendrils, so using a bright aquamarine we are able to bridge the gap between the teal and darker blue. G3 is helped along by the colors in A1 and M1 to create the orb effects. A lighter tone is used here as M1 will have another dark tone to help traits stand out. A1 will have a lighter purple to compliment the light pink that is placed in G3.

Mutations
Now mutations we will use a whole lot of light pink, purple, and yellow. This is to impact the severe lack of those colors in our genes and mutations. EC and M3 make an appearance alongside A2 in mutations. M1 we have already covered, to make the orb. For M2 i chose a bright purple and another bright pink for M3. For A2, a more hard purple to add some more of the color.

Critique
Limor
"I would saturate the colors a bit more and add in some more yellows and remove the green/blue colors. This will help the design have some more contrast and appear more spring morning sky like! The design is wonderful and I love the pastelly colors you have going so far and using the critique above I think you have a top-notch design going for you."

Final Design
In regards to Limor's critique i saturated a few colors a bit more, and provided a bit more warm colors in the main slots. As for the rest of the pet, I had lightened A1 a bit and the rest was really the same!!!! I think the final design turned out wonderful, even if i did enjoy the original design.

Limor
Base Colors
In this design i'm going for a pale cloudy design. I went with a pale blue with a gray tint as the body color to show the sky, aiming for an almost twilight feel. For the eyes I went with a yellowy color, keeping it less saturated to help the design keep it's soft fluffy appearance. For c2 and c3 I went with orangy reds, to offset the body color and push the 'fluffy' look.

Genes
For g1 I went with a blue color, slightly darker then the c1, to help it have a little pop. In g2 I went with a pinky orange color, to give it that ''morning clouds" color that can so often be seen on spring mornings. For g3 I made the color even darker then the c1 and g1. Though not too dark, as this could pull it from morning to evening. When choosing these colors I made sure to check multiple gene combos and all the genes by themselves to ensure the colors work with the design.

Mutations
In the mutations I wanted to draw in some more of those yellows and orange-pinks. In the m1 I made did a much more saturated then the other colors red-orange. This is our pop color to stand out against all the other colors. In m2 I did a more red-pink then orange-pink I chose this color as it helps push the "soft cloudy" feel of the design. In m3 I chose a blue, to draw back to the original sky color. As with the genes I checked each trait individually and in combos to see how all the colors look.

Critique
CeruleanCrow
"For Limor's design, I really enjoyed what she did in terms of bright. The ryory gives a coudy bright feel to the design. However, there seems to be less of a darker side to the pet, so a lot of colors get erased or overtoned by other more powerful traits. Perhaps making the G3 color a tad bit brighter and have G1 a little darker."

Final Design
Following Crow's advice I made the design more contrasty. In the g3 I also made an orange color, to help make the brighter warm colors more prominent. In a few of the genes and mutations slots I saturated the colors a bit more, to make the design less monotone. Overall I am happier with the final design rather then the rough version.

--
Now remember if you have any questions or suggestions feel free to message me, Limor with anything you'd like to say! I always love to hear your thoughts!
Edited By Limor on 5/1/2019 at 9:06 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2019 at 8:41 PM Post #5
~Limor's Newbie Tips and Tricks~
Written by Limor, Guest-Starring Scathreoite, Edited by Limor
Hey all! In this tips and tricks column we'll be showcasing an interview with player Scathreoite! Scath is an older more experienced player who has been with the site for a long time and has some great pointers for all you players who might need some help! We will also be going over some good player guides and the Q&A forumn and the spring fest!

~ Interview with Scathreoite ~

1. What advice would you give to newer players when setting up a party?
Learn how team setups and stats work- how a pet's element, proficiency and equipment work together, and how different elements work together when in a team.
Lots of newer players that we've seen in the forums have made mistakes like giving physical damage relics to magical element pets, because they didn't fully understand how the damage system works, which can give them some grief as the enemies get stronger and their pets just don't seem to be dealing much damage.

One major point for party setup, though: you want a Tank in slot 1 of the party, as that slot takes the brunt of enemy attacks. Tanks are usually water, earth, or shadow elements, sometimes light.
They're typically set up with assorted combos of HP/Agi/Attack profs, and equipped with Agi-gear, as opposed to the more straightforward tendency towards pure Attack/Dex of Attacker pets of the Air and Fire elements.

Also, keep the equipment up to date for a pet- both the level and rarity play a role in how good an equip is! (and remember that you can buy equips from the Broker)

2. What element would you best recommend or you most personally use when making attuning a pet?
I'd honestly say it really depends on a player's style- finding out what they're comfortable with.

In terms of elements best elements for early progression, our journey through the plotline isn't as useful as it could be for advising newbies- we started playing long before the new proficiency system was introduced (back when level up points existed, the attacks were different, the proficiency was... quite a lot different indeed), using a water/air/fire team- that team carried us through Vorpar (though that was still before the proficiency overhaul). Our main team now is earth/light/air.

(though it can be said that using Air instead of Fire for some of the continuous wave mobs in region 2 might seem counter-intuitive, but is generally the best plan. Focusing on a single enemy slot forces a bottleneck so you only face one strong enemy at a time)

Back to the style statement with an example from our own experience;
We personally found it quite difficult to use water element post-overhaul- despite the fact that we had used a water tank until then. All the elements changed a bit in the overhaul and we just couldn't seem to get the hang of the altered water!
We raised some pets to level 70 recently and it helped us get a handle on how to use the element again, in terms of when to use what move, and to work out what works for us proficiency-wise with the element. Still haven't gotten a complete grip on where a shadow pet's stats should go to work best with our own style, though!

Earth is the tanking element we personally find easiest to use, hence why one is our main team's tank. For a lot of other people, it might be the trickiest to use, so we find it hard to say "we recommend x element over y element." (though having a light healer in the party can be pretty useful)

So, yeah, overall, I'd really just suggest people test out the elements, and work out which ones- and which proficiency setups- are a good fit for their strategy and fighting styles.

3. What would you advise to newer players trying to really get dedicated to sylestia?
Check the pinned guides in the Player Guides section. Players work very hard to write the guides- they take a lot of time to make!-, and they answer a fair number of the questions that new players ask.

Even still, it can be good to talk to people and ask questions- there are lots of people who are willing to help newer players in the forums, whether it's gene testing or battle strategy or something else.

4. How would you advise newer players to make a sufficient amount of gold to be successful?
"Do do Missions", and "Don't use the Healers".
Healers can be a huge drain on your gold resources if you use them often- which new players often will. If you're trying to raise your gold amount, it's best to just let your pets recover over time (I remember when we were new and didn't realise that was a thing; the Healer in Esior's Haven must have gotten tens of thousands of gold from us before we worked it out)

With Missions, on the other hand, learning to do well with them can make things a lot easier, especially since you just send your pets off and don't have to be present for the mission's duration. Even better once you unlock more mission slots, and raise your Town Reputation enough to take higher level missions.
Setting up specific Mission Pets that can do a satisfactory or excellent job on a mission gets the mission satchel rewards, which you definitely want. Aside from the gold, the healing items and equipment those can net (and if you're lucky, essences) are highly useful, either for the player's own pets or sold via the inventory or on the Trade Broker.
(and the healing items you can get very quickly make the Healers entirely irrelevant!)

5. Anything else you'd like to say?
Be willing to learn, be willing to try out new setups, have fun. If you want to try a really wild team setup, go ahead and see if you can make it work.

~ Player guides and forumns ~
Don't be afraid to post a question in the Q&A forumn, no matter how bad or 'dumb' you believe it to be. Older players are always willing to answer newer players question and as long as your polite everyone will welcome you with open arms!

Another good forumn to check is the Player Guides . Here you can find many good threads with detailed information to help guide you on your journey through Sylesti! A very helpful guide to check out is the 'Sylestia Walkthrough' by player Amarok.

There are also other forumns you can find quite helpful and be sure to give them all a scrawl through, maybe some tidbit of information you could stumble across could be really beneficial!

~ Spring Fest ~
With Spring Fest underway there are many opportunities for leveling up, getting new pets, and getting some gold. A great place to get some help is to either pop into region chat (which can be found in fest zone) or reading guides such as this one!

With the fest zone it is strongly advised you at least have a party of three pets above level ten. Another thing you could find helpful with the zone is the maps made by Tori. In the zone you have the opportunity to fight bosses and get new avatar items from them as well as running into themed pets which you can capture using traps!

Remember to also check out the forum games, which can be found here, and to read the overview as it goes over a lot of aspects of fest not discussed here!

Remember as with everything just play around and try out everything in fest, it's the best way you'll learn!

--

Remember if at any time you have questions feel free to send them to me and I'll try my best to answer them next article!
Edited By Limor on 5/1/2019 at 9:07 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2019 at 8:42 PM Post #6
~ Ask Sadie ~

Written by Grapejuice and Sadie, Edited by Limor
As the only sylesti on our staff Sadie has the inside look on a sylesti's life, so feel free to send in questions for her to answer! Just PM any questions to Grapejuice, and in the next issue, Sadie will answer them with a sylesti's perspective!

Why does catching you in traps earn your loyalty?
"Well once we see that, they don't intend to hurt us and in fact want to help us survive it's a pretty easy switch! The strong survive right? And I've gotten so much stronger with Grapejuice, plus the free chow isn't half bad!"

What is your least favourite place in Sylestia?
"To be perfectly honest? Astryl's Tranquility, those little water sprites just make me so mad! Ooo I can see their stupid floating watery forms every time I close my eyes!"

Which is your least favourite enemy?
"See above! There is no benefit whatsoever to the natural order from them existing."

"No more questions? Well if that's so then be sure to send in more for me to answer in May's Issue!"
Edited By Limor on 5/3/2019 at 9:23 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2019 at 8:42 PM Post #7

Written by Limor, Edited by Limor

This site is full of both new and old artists, many have honed their craft and have posted some truly gorgeous drawings. Let's take a look!

Autumn Huntress by Nightbanewolf

Love is stored in the rat by Limor

Ghost's on Parade by Jonathananubian

Unnamed by Vigil

Unamed by Darkesse

This month we also have an interview with Vigil as she kindly answers some questions about her artwork process!

1. How do you choose colors for your art?
It depends on how i'm feeling. I tend to not stray from the main colors, which is a bad habit, so I'm trying to try new things. Warm colors are something I love, but I feel like I can't use them when i'm using cool base colors, blue, purple, teal, ec. Sometimes I get so frustrated over choosing colors for shading, I leave it at a base color!

2. How long have you been drawing?
I always had an interest in drawing, but I didn't "start" until at least Grade 4. Looking back at my drawings from those grades, I don't even know how people said I was good. But it was the foundation of what I am now, so never give up, even if you think you suck!!

3. What inspires your most?
Music. Music is a huge thing, and I can't draw without it. Instagram is also a big help! It has many tips and tutorials. I love using emotion boards also! One of my favorite songs to listen to for powerful and maybe even dark drawings is "Power is power". I love rap, pop, country, rock... And many other things! It all shapes what i'm feeling. I noticed that I make stories in my head when listening to music, like little PMVs.

Tune in next month for some more featured art, if you have any suggestions of art you want to see on here pm it to Grapejuice under the title Artists Among Us. Have a wonderful day!
Edited By Limor on 5/2/2019 at 3:24 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2019 at 8:42 PM Post #8

Written by Limor, guest-starring Krinwillpoop, edited by Limor

Hey guys! So in this showcase we will be taking a quick look at the Oriole zolnixi desgined by Krinwillpoop! Her design is interesting and unique and now we get a look at her designing process and thoughts!

The Oriole Zolnixi
Designs by Krinwillpoop

In my opinion this is a wonderful design that really captures the Oriole bird and defiantly resembles it! And now, an interview with KWP!

1. How did you decided to make an Oriole design?
Ive always has trouble designing Nixis that Ive been happy with, but I really wanted to try to make a really nice one for this Spring Festival (2019). I thought, Ok well the majority of the themes will probably be flower or bird themed. But I had already designed a couple flower themed pets I was considering submitting. So I looked up Spring birds, lol, and came across the oriole and thought, I love that color scheme. I really think I can make this work. So I got started right away! While I was designing it I got this strange feeling. I honestly have no idea how to describe it. It was something of excitement, hope, dislike for the deisgn, and like for the design, and I really cannot describe whatever that feeling was. But because of that feeling, I submitted this theme over another Zolnixi theme I made, and thank goodness!

2. How excited were you when you saw your design was chosen?
To be honest, I think I forgot what breathing was for a day or two... Ive never had any theme picked before so this was a big deal to me. I showed literally everybody, even though almost all of them had no clue what sylestia was. I also am not the most social person in the world either, but I felt like I wanted to show everyone.

3. Did you have any specific images you used as references?
Yes I did! I looked up Oriole Bird and found this picture which the theme was mostly based off of:

4. If you could change anything about your design what would it be?
I am totally in love with my design, but I feel like the color for G3 doesnt really fit. I should have made it a darkish gray color I think.

5. Did you expect to get chosen?
I really did not expect at all to be chosen. Theres a difference between hoping and expecting, and I think we all hope, but not all of us designers really expect. Since the Zolnixi, starting with a Z is the last of the sylesti to be shown in alphabet order, I thought all hope was lost for a design to be picked this spring. When Ebonyflicker posted the list of themes I eagerly clicked on the thread, hoping so badly that any one of my themes had finally been chosen! As I scrolled down and down I remember my heart sinking... but (with no hope left,) I scrolled to the Zolnixi... and I noticed the color palette first... then I read the name... and I saw right underneath the name designed by krinwillpoop. And my heart did a total reverse of sinking and I didnt know how to react. I think first I went into regional chat and said OMG the oriole nixi is mine! And just talked about it for way too long (sorry to everyone who was there at that time lol xD).

6. Anything else you'd like to say?
And nope for 6 I think all that covers it!

Thanks again for the interview and next month our regularly scheduled Orca shall be back!
Edited By Limor on 5/1/2019 at 9:50 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2019 at 8:44 PM Post #9

Edited By Limor on 5/1/2019 at 9:42 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2019 at 8:44 PM Post #10
And with that the times is open! Sorry for such the rush to put this together but it will be all back next issue!
-
Limor
Edited By Limor on 5/1/2019 at 9:52 PM.
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.