Posted: 3/31/2019 at 5:17 AM Post #1
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 155
Posted: 3/31/2019 at 5:17 AM Post #2

Written By Grapejuice, Edited By Grapejuice

Fortune Week
March brought back the Fortune week! We saw the return of some old favourites, as well as two new additions to the forum game roster! As the festival doesn't end until April 1st (tomorrow from the day this issue comes out) Make sure you take this last day to finish up or participate in any games you haven't taken part of yet.

Lucky Pot Scratchcard Game
The lucky pot comes back once more this year, the goal of the game is to scratch off prizes and get 3 of the same prize to win that prize. There are of course some twists to go through though to up your chances to get fantastical prizes the more you play!

This year brought some epic prizes, amongst them being:

Congratulations to anyone who managed to win the jackpot, as the number is always changing I can't give you the exact amount but it's always somewhere in the millions and worth a try!

Forum Contests and Games
Candy Guess

A completely new game that was just introduced you are given an image of a jar with jellybeans, the objective? Guess the number of jellybeans inside! Closest guess gets a prize, as of the release of this issue there is still time to enter your guess so if you haven't hurry and follow the instructions on the thread.

Lucky Crossword

Another new addition it's your typical crossword but themed around luck, I have to admit it nearly stumped me, so why not try your luck and have a go at it while you still can!

Create a Lucky Pair
Another create a pair returns, this time you have to make a luck inspired pair with no more than 6 trait points maximum. Then all entries will be put in a drawing and whoever's name gets pulled gets their pair generated! As the winners haven't been announced here are some examples of designs entered.

Irish Luck Ny'venes by Teefa85

Leprechaun Puffadores By Lunalamoone

Sunshower Rainbow By Lonefox

Return of the Pooka and the Keepers

The pooka's returned and could be found in Sweet Blossom Orchard's and Astryals Tranquility. If defeated they drop avatar items of their kind (plus a special new set for this year, Sakura) and x1 Piece of a Lucky pot Ticket. (If you collect ten pieces you can make a ticket for a free attempt at the lucky pot game)

There's also the return of the Keepers of the Clover. these guys can only be found at the Lost Grove.
Each Keeper can drop Avatar Items for the new Pre-Colored Set, Sakura. They will also always drop x2 Piece of The Lucky Pot Ticket! Some may even have a 1-Visible Shrouded Fortune Ferrikki stashed away! Watch out though, these guys are tough if you don't have the proper pets and equipment.

Ferrikki Orb Gene Update
In other news the artwork for the Ferrikki Skullmoth's G3 and the tail Genes had not been put in, but Krin has implemented it and it's now in effect, if your Ferrikki doesn't have the updated version just give it a quick refresh and it should show up! If there are any other art implements that were mentioned but never actually changed let Krinadon and Faiona know right here!

That's all for this month, thanks so much for tuning in! We'll be back in the next issue for April.
Edited By Grapejuice on 3/31/2019 at 6:55 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 3/31/2019 at 5:17 AM Post #3

Written by Limor, guest-starring Britters, Edited by Grapejuice
A few links to check out when making designs are:
Themed pet reference pages by Xavion
Comprehensive Guide to Themed Pets by Lavelle
Guide to Themed Pet Contests by Scathreoite

~Revamping a Design~
Now we all have those 'perfect designs' that we made back when we first started, that when looking back on them, are not the best. Perhaps they have a great idea behind them though and you would like to revamp the design to be better fitting.

For example, let's take my 'Raspberry Limeade' Vulynx I designed way back when I first started almost three years ago. I remember being very proud of this design, and the idea it was based on itself was nice.

The design itself isn't that bad but when varying from the traits show it has some issues. So when revamping the design how do you keep the integrity of the original idea but still make the design better?

I suggest taking a look at the colour pallet. Take in what colours there are and think back to your idea. What were you trying to showcase? I mostly suggest adding in some darker or lighter colours, perhaps add in some tints. For example, with this design, I made some of the pinks some orangey-pinks instead of just the red-pinks.

As you can see just by making some slight alterations to the colours and changing the hues of the original colours you have a design that carries through with the ideas and ties back to the original in ways. With this base change, you can now play around with the colours in whatever way is needed to fine-tune the design. Doing this is a good way to get base colours for a design without having to completely start from scratch.

And a quick word from Britt...
"Alright, everyone, so for both these designs I used the same reference image, meant to show the range of different things you can do with various species but with the same image being used as inspiration."

~Taking Inspiration~
Now in this section me and another player, Britters, both made two designs based on a photo. The point of this is to show how just one photo can inspire many designs.

Both of us designed a Puffadore, as many players have some trouble with them and we decided it could be a helpful tip to see one made. We both then got a random species, I got Nephini and Britters got a Luffox.

Our Photo:

~Puffadores~

Britters:

I started with this puffadore. I was going for a fairy inspired look, like a Sprite which you might find in a scene like the image used

Traits
Limor

When choosing the traits I chose to make g1 a teal colour, lighter than the bases, to stand out. I chose clouded leopard as the trait as it replicated the little light and dark 'bubbles' in the background of the photo quite well. For g2 I chose Papillion as the trait does not cover too much and still gives a nice colouring. I chose orange for this and the next trait to show the lantern's colours. I chose delicate runes as g3 due to the twisting, fire like nature of how they look.

Britters

I used Glow Critter because not only did it because it worked with the design but also because the name of the trait matches the reference image (which is something that gives me a lot of personal satisfaction when it's possible to do). Once those "focal point traits" were selected I just fiddled with the G1 and G2 trait slots until I got an effect which mimicked the look of the sky in the image to my liking.

Mutations
Limor

For the mutations, I chose an almost royal blue, using the colour to push the dark, almost black, centre of the Pearl Armour forward more. For m2 I chose a brighter blue, adding a pop of bright colours to the mostly darker tones of the rest of the design. In m3 I went with a red colour and dancing flames to show the fire in the lantern itself better.

Britters

I could have chosen the Fairy Wings, but the Butterfly Wings looked better with the colours I wanted to use some went with those which led to the use of the Butterfly Crown and...voila! An attractive puffadore design!

Critique
Limor
I love your design! The colour and the very pale but bright blue is a very nice pop and I love the design. I do think one thing that could be added are some darker colours, drawing more to the black end of the colour spectrum could be good. The design doesn't have much of very dark colours and having a very dark, almost black colour, will allow the brighter colours to pop more.

Britters
For the puff...I love the colour palette on this design because it represents the reference image better than the neph, but I think that the traits chosen make it a little too busy and mismatched, but overall they're both well-made designs.

Final Designs
Limor

Taking the critique I got from Britters I decided to go with wings on the Puff. I also changed m3 to a pale blue instead of an orange, which helps the whole design flow better. I also changed m2 to a flower and made the colour yellow. The eye colour also got tweaked to be slightly more orange, as it helped the fire aspect I tried to show in the flower pop better.

Britters

Puffs are notoriously hard to design with, but here I think I achieved my goal of a well-balanced design both in the case of the colours and the traits.

~Luffox~
Britters
Base Colors

I will start by saying that the Luffox is one of my most and least favourite species. I love their look, but as many others find, their traits don't always tend to layer well together. With this design, I once again tried to think of some kind of sprite-like creature that could exist in the reference image.

Traits

Again I knew I wanted to use the Butterfly Flower for the same reason I used Glow Critter on my Puffadore, it flowed well and the name helped solidify my inspiration. Then I added Clouded Leopard in G1 to draw the design together.

Mutations

The Monarch Wings help give a more "rustic" fairy look which I think suits the look of the Luffox (It also goes well with Clouded Leopard). After that, I went with Lynx Ears and Wispy Tail to continue with the fantasy kind of direction I was taking.

Critique
Limor
"The design here is wonderful, all the colours are very complimentary and aesthetically pleasing. Once again all I can suggest, as with the puff, is to draw in some darker blues, maybe some royal blues as well."

Final Design

Mutations

For the mutations, I chose feathered wings as they give a whimsical feel to the nephini. I gave flower vines a bright orangey-red colour that will stand out from the body and pop. I used Fairy Shimmer to create a flame like appearance and gave it a nice yellow-orange colour.

Critique
Britters
"Okay so for the neph...I like the traits chosen for the design because I think they match the vibe of the reference image very well, however I think the shades of blue are a little too much towards the "royal blue" side of the spectrum and not dulled down and more towards the lighter blue side like in the image"

Final Design

Taking the critique I made the eyes a duller orange-red color. I also darkened the c3 to be an almost black color to help make the design have a more natural feel. Finally, I made some changes to the traits colour, adding in some more blues to help the design flow better.

--

Overall I hope you found this guide helpful! If you have any other questions ping me and I'll answer them next time about~ Remember also tell me if you'd be interested in being a part of the designing column as well!
Edited By Grapejuice on 5/31/2019 at 2:47 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 3/31/2019 at 5:18 AM Post #4

Written By Grapejuice, Edited by Grapejuice
This site is full of both new and old artists, many have honed their craft and have posted some truly gorgeous drawings. Let's take a look!

Ra By Sylvauna

Kelpari Shaded Sketch By Sylvauna

A Black and White Lined Painting By Sylvauna

If you'd like to see more of her art or even better yet commission her for a drawing, her art shop can be found right here.

Un-Named Drawing's By Ley

Ley's Entry for the Digital Pumpkin Carving Contest

Ley was also kind enough to give us an interview about her drawings and technique!

Grapejuice: How long have you been drawing and what would you say was the first real push you got to better your art?
Ley: If you discount the finger-painted wonky scribbles I produced as a child, I believe I first started drawing seriously in middle school for our assigned art projects. Not exactly a glamorous or exciting start, but they gave me a foundation to build off of back then.

As for what inspired me to improve, it's hard to pinpoint a singular reason, but a lot of it was a matter of personal achievement. When I saw amazingly animated movies (such as from Studio Ghibli) or video game concept art, it was an incredibly unrealistic standard to hold myself to as a pre-teen, but that's exactly what I did. Quite inevitably, I failed spectacularly. However, that dissatisfaction with my art, discouraging as it was, made me want to do better the next time.

GJ: Do you have any tips or tricks for up and coming digital artists?
Ley: There are a few things that come to mind here. I would advise finding a drawing app that works for you, first. Some people are just fine with apps that are free-to-download, so try out those before spending money on something you might not like. If you're considering a paid app, those usually offer a free trial for a month or so, and I would make the most of it while you can.

A lot of what can be done effects-wise on expensive apps can also be done on free ones, it'll just be a matter of figuring out how to achieve it with a different set of tools. Keep in mind that the app itself will not automatically make drawings look good, it's only an aid for the artist. Once you find an app that you like, go look up some tutorials! Many apps have small in's and out's or settings that need an explanation on what they do, but they often don't come with instruction manuals (which they should include, really). All apps are going to function differently, so take the time to familiarize yourself with the one(s) you're using; keyboard shortcuts are your best friend.

Another thing Id say to people looking to get into art is dont be afraid to show your work and be open to constructive criticism. Skills can hardly develop in a vacuum, and there are many great art communities available that aim to help their members improve and provide encouragement. Being able to take criticism is a life skill really, but the thing to remember is that helpful criticism doesnt aim to attack you or your work personally, but should instead provide a framework for improvement.

GJ: What would you say is one of the most difficult things you've had to overcome when drawing a piece or concept?
Ley: Personally, I'd say one of the hardest things is to stay motivated throughout the whole thing. Once a piece drags on past a certain point, there's a feeling of "Will I ever get this done? What's the point? I don't like it anymore," and that's the kind of thinking that's led me to drop some of my old works, unfortunately.

One of the biggest motivation-killers that Ive experienced is feeling dissatisfied with a piece when its barely started. Maybe the lineart isnt right, or the colours arent blending the way you imagined, then it snowballs into you disliking what youve done so far and your drive to finish what mightve been a great piece just dies right there. What Ive often told myself and others is that whatever mistakes the artist sees, unless the viewer is an art critic, those imperfections are pretty much invisible to the casual audience.

Going off of that, I feel many artists hold themselves to a high standard, which isnt inherently bad, but the pressure and expectation of keeping up a certain quality of work are mentally and emotionally draining. Taking some time off to recuperate is something Ive had trouble with in the past, and its obvious my work had suffered for it. Feeling burnt out is probably something many artists will experience at least once, and theres nothing wrong with being able to step away for a little while.

Thanks, Ley for indulging us and answering the questions! Tune in next month for some more featured art, if you have any suggestions of art you want to see on here pm it to Grapejuice under the title Artists Among Us. Have a wonderful day!
Edited By Grapejuice on 3/31/2019 at 6:12 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 3/31/2019 at 5:18 AM Post #5
~Limor's Newbie Tips and Tricks~
Written By Limor, Edited by Grapejuice
Welcome back! Once again here we have me, Limor, giving you, the player, some tips and tricks for getting around Sylesti! In this section, we'll discuss the Lost Grove and max stats!

~The Lost Grove~

Getting to the Lost Grove can be a tedious process, and completing the lost grove can be even more so. One of the main pluses of actually completing the lost grove is the opportunity to get vinethorn equipment, and even more of a bonus, upgrade your attacks strengths. Although the grind may not be for everyone over time the output you get from it will make it worth it!

~Max Stats~
Max Stats are a special type of pet. These pets have full stats in everything (health, mana, proficients) and if you can find (in some cases 150k!) the gold to purchase these pets you can find yourself great helped out. They will make fighting and such much easier. They'll also help you progress yourself along the storylines better.

Here is my girl for example:

All of her stats are the fullest they possibly can be at level 0, that means health at 2k, Mana at 120, and Strength, Agility, Dexterity, and Intelligence are at 100. (Lost Grove stats are an exception) So when you add in the proper armour and levels she's a force to be reckoned with.

Super Stats, or stats found in the lost grove, are even more powerful than regular max stats and have even higher bonuses.

A few users to buy stats from are:
Xavion (Max Stats, Superstats)
Upsidedownsarah (Max Stats, at bargain prices!)

---

Remember if at any time you have questions feel free to send them to me and I'll try my best to answer them next article!
Edited By Grapejuice on 3/31/2019 at 5:48 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 3/31/2019 at 5:18 AM Post #6

Written by Orca2whale Edited by Grapejuice

Hey folks! Welcome back to yet another edition of the Themed Pet Showcase!
So, as everyone knows, Easter is just a month away (yet some people I know haven't even started taking down their Christmas trees/lights/decor) and of course one of the biggest things that happen is usually Easter egg hunts (for eggs that hopefully have at least one chocolate or something halfway decent)

Even though this theme didn't debut during the Spring Fest, it's still chocolate. Well, sort of...in Sylesti form! So let's welcome Squiggles, designer of the Mint Chocolate Lune!

Me: What was your inspiration for the themed?
Squiggles: I was eating chocolate.

Me: Did you already know what you wanted it to look like before you even started designing?
Squiggles: Nope. I actually design something as a different species and move it around almost all of them before deciding I like it most on one. My main thing is that I want contrast and pigment. If I zoom out and I can't tell what it is, then I'm not happy with it.

Me: How easy was it to create the themed?
Squiggles: For many, it's very easy. For me? Well.... I like to have 50 versions of the same thing before moving on to the next idea. I actually started on summer and spring designs yesterday.

Me: Did you expect to have your design chosen?
Squiggles: I think everyone goes into it wanting and hoping to have their design chosen. So... yes and no. While I wanted and hoped, I didn't want to place an expectation on it because that kills all the fun.

Me: Anything else (words of advice to aspiring theme artists, last remarks, etc. Not necessary, but welcome!)
Squiggles: I've noticed quite a few of the new people make lovely designs, but forget that they need to have colors for everything. Not just the traits they wanted to show. And it's never too early to start designing things. Sometimes I like to design something and come back to it several months later to see it with fresh eyes.

Thanks Squiggles!

~A Little Notice~
Due to some issues *cough cough computer trouble and schedule cough cough* no info about Themes will be shown here this month. Apologies.

Since Spring Fest is (hopefully) coming soon, I thought it'd be nice to touch on the topic of....themed breeding. Yep. The ultimate challenge (unless you're Xavion, in which case it's not much of a challenge....). Most of you seasoned players (I'm talking about those of you who have lived through a fest or two already or are into breeding) know that themed 6vis/full stat breeding is a thing, with players aiming to finish their projects before everyone else.

As I don't have much experience with this myself (I can't save gold to save my life apparently so there go all my projects down the drain), I decided to go to an expert. That's right, Xavion. (Because who better to ask then the most well-known full-stat/6-vis breeder in Sylestia?)

So next month I'll be using a few tips from Xav in this part of my column, so stay tuned!

Thanks for reading. I promise I will actually, y'know, have something other than a background story here next month! In the meantime, I welcome PMs from anyone with questions, comments, or suggestions. ;D
Edited By Grapejuice on 3/31/2019 at 7:15 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 3/31/2019 at 5:19 AM Post #7
Ask Sadie

Written by Grapejuice & Sadie
As the only sylesti on our staff Sadie has the inside look on a sylesti's life, so feel free to send in questions for her to answer! Just PM any questions to Grapejuice, and in the next issue, Sadie will answer them with a sylesti's perspective!

What do you do when your owner isn't around?
"I hang out with the other sylesti she has, we play around in the stables, guard them against intruders (although most intruders tend to be leaves) and sleep."

What's your favourite place to explore in sylestia?
"Oh this one is a difficult one! I'd have to say Sweet Blossom Orchards for myself, I just love to sneak some bites out of those delicious fresh apples! Shh don't tell Grapejuice I said that, she doesn't like me taking food that isn't mine."

"Aww is that all the questions we had? Well be sure to send in more for April's issue!"

Edited By Grapejuice on 5/31/2019 at 3:05 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 3/31/2019 at 5:20 AM Post #8
~Syestia Times Comics~

Anually
By Sweden

Sproutlings
Some Teaser Character Sketches for an Upcoming comic.
Edited By Grapejuice on 3/31/2019 at 6:21 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 3/31/2019 at 7:01 AM Post #9

Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 3/31/2019 at 7:09 AM Post #10
This Months Issue is out! Until next month

~ Grapejuice
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.013 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.