Players 2,387 365
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,248,392 1,193
Generated 656,295 34
Captured 1,190,692 64
Bred 6,401,310 1,095
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > News and Announcements > Experimental Breeding Feature and Wild S...
Page 4 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... 12, 13, 14 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Daineger
Level 70
The Sweet Tooth
Threads: 3
Posted: 2/22/2018 at 11:17 AM Post #31
I wonder if it might be possible to have one cooldown for the owner and a separate cooldown for public breeding? That way the owner won't feel that offering it for public breeding would limit their own options and there would still not be unlimited breeding of the pet.
Typhix
Level 61
The Artistic
Threads: 73
Posted: 2/22/2018 at 11:20 AM Post #32
My support for this is nonexistent.
Please do not spread this to the rest of the species, especially the fabled ones.
I agree with Anubar, Xavion, and Tharazaria.
Edited By Typhix on 2/22/2018 at 11:23 AM.
Tempestbird
Level 70
Threads: 22
Posted: 2/22/2018 at 11:24 AM Post #33
This seems interesting... whould a female who has not breed at all be valued?
This seems like a good way to reduce the amount of unwanted pets. I dont have any ferrkiki to test with but i feel like there needs to be a little somethimg more to help keep pepole from breeding pets that dont turn out "high quality" and no one wants to buy and the owner dosent want to relese them. Hording unwanted pets in this game is a good way to end up broke and despret. Im not shure if this will help this problem maybe some but there are some pepole who are probably going to keep breeding there pets and producing more unwanted pets. Anyway im glad to see this game progressing so mutch!
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,119
Posted: 2/22/2018 at 11:25 AM Post #34
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=57948&page=3#29
Author: Anubar
Time Posted: 2/22/2018 at 11:10 AM
[quote=1173687]

...you do know that the lifeblood for any sort of game site is attracting new players right?

Its already insane here at the bottom, and requires more grinding than your average flour mill; and you want us to do more?

I want to quit now.

A lot of the difficulties for new players comes from the ancient structure of the 'beginning' of the game. Unfortunately, that content is all too deeply embedded for me to simply redo. And it is the very main reason for wanting to rebuild Sylestia from scratch - it's really the only way to fix that problem.

I do not think that the proposed breeding changes we are testing here would really have that significant of an effect on new player enjoyment if you could focus just on the results of the changes and not the 'shock value' of a "breeding is being nerfed" announcement.

To respond to your earlier comment, I agree that price floors would also help to address the problem we are attempting to address and that is one of the other things we have been brainstorming. Unfortunately, those would be a lot harder to implement due to that the 3 pages that they'd be potentially installed and set up for are like literally our 3 oldest pages on the site at this point. That makes the task almost virtually impossible to do in any type of efficient manner and would be easier done just completely rebuilding those pages - which unfortunately takes a few weeks that we do not have the spare time for at this moment.

And again, this is an experimental feature that we are testing with one specific species that just launched. =P

There is a reason we are doing it this way and these posts are exactly why. Wanting to quit over an experimental feature explicitly stated as a test seems a bit of an extreme reaction, but I do appreciate your feedback and perspective and hope that you are just venting frustration.
Frawn
Level 75
High Druid
Threads: 53
Posted: 2/22/2018 at 11:31 AM Post #35
I am already incredibly selective about my breeding, taking time to get just the right complimentary traits instead of breeding anything that will mate. I don't breed for money, I breed for the joy of creating something beautiful.

If this new breeding restriction is only for fabled pets, I couldn't care less. But if it's for normal pets too, it might be the thing that finally pushes me away from this game.

If pet population is a problem, I thought you had the fix by announcing a "Release Leaderboard" every so often? Why is an incentive to release no longer effective?

Breeding is 90% (or more) of what I do with my Sylestia account. By making it harder or more time-consuming to breed my pets, it sounds like you want me to focus more on the other aspects of the game that you've been working hard to produce instead. However, if I'm still not interested in that new content (which I'm currently not), or questing, or exploring, or unlocking your new features, then you're only making it harder for me to enjoy what I actually do like.

I understand you're proud of your new content and you want players to focus on it, but you shouldn't get to decide how I enjoy your game. Longer cooldowns and complicated rules for those cooldowns doesn't sound like it makes breeding more "challenging" in a fun way, it sounds like it will make it hard, long, and frustrating for those who've spent years relying on the current system.

I hope others feel the same, and this experiment proves unfavorable.
Edited By Frawn on 2/23/2018 at 2:39 PM.
Savynn
Level 75
Sweet Solver
Threads: 214
Posted: 2/22/2018 at 11:34 AM Post #36
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=57948&page=4#31
Author: Daineger
Time Posted: 2/22/2018 at 11:17 AM
I wonder if it might be possible to have one cooldown for the owner and a separate cooldown for public breeding? That way the owner won't feel that offering it for public breeding would limit their own options and there would still not be unlimited breeding of the pet.

I haven't completely formulated my thoughts yet on how I feel about all of this yet. But I do like Daineger's idea. This would still limit breedings but would still make it where people feel a bit better about sharing traits with others. I like how this site's community cooperates with each other on many things. And I think this would still help preserve that sense of cooperation instead of making people feel like they can't share if they want to breed pets themselves. If nothing else, if this could be allowed for males.

Edit: I'm going to try to reserve judgement to a certain extent since this is limited to experimenting with just one new species as you said. However, I really do feel many of the same concerns as others.
Edited By Savynn on 2/22/2018 at 11:37 AM.
Anubar
Level 61
Threads: 0
Posted: 2/22/2018 at 11:39 AM Post #37
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=57948&page=4#34
Author: Krinadon
Time Posted: 2/22/2018 at 11:25 AM
[quote=1173694]

A lot of the difficulties for new players comes from the ancient structure of the 'beginning' of the game. Unfortunately, that content is all too deeply embedded for me to simply redo. And it is the very main reason for wanting to rebuild Sylestia from scratch - it's really the only way to fix that problem.

I do not think that the proposed breeding changes we are testing here would really have that significant of an effect on new player enjoyment if you could focus just on the results of the changes and not the 'shock value' of a "breeding is being nerfed" announcement.

To respond to your earlier comment, I agree that price floors would also help to address the problem we are attempting to address and that is one of the other things we have been brainstorming. Unfortunately, those would be a lot harder to implement due to that the 3 pages that they'd be potentially installed and set up for are like literally our 3 oldest pages on the site at this point. That makes the task almost virtually impossible to do in any type of efficient manner and would be easier done just completely rebuilding those pages - which unfortunately takes a few weeks that we do not have the spare time for at this moment.

And again, this is an experimental feature that we are testing with one specific species that just launched. =P

There is a reason we are doing it this way and these posts are exactly why. Wanting to quit over an experimental feature explicitly stated as a test seems a bit of an extreme reaction, but I do appreciate your feedback and perspective and hope that you are just venting frustration.

It is not the experimental feature that makes me want to quit.

I am breeding Lighira at this point. The difference in breeding times for me is at most a few extra days.

The outrage is more that it is somehow felt that new players require yet another 'ceiling' to strive towards. We've got plenty already.

If you already know that your ancient 'beginning' is the ore of the problem for new players, do not start brainstorming ideas to make our interest in this game even less. Instead, please focus on correcting the existing problems.

It is very nice to see new content continuing to come out for people trapped at the current endgame. It means there is a future to head towards.

I am sure I do not understand all the difficulties you face in running this site, or in implementing all of the changes you would like to make. I just want it brought to attention that when you make such comments about adding in things that would make it even more frustrating for the people at the bottom of the heap, that maybe your attention should be less spent on adding in such new features, until the existing difficulties such people are already struggling through, have been alleviated.
Kaufee
Level 70
The Perfectionist
Threads: 110
Posted: 2/22/2018 at 11:43 AM Post #38
Yeeees! This actually might make me interested in breeding again! :'>
Xovinx
Level 74
Fright Master
Threads: 15
Posted: 2/22/2018 at 11:43 AM Post #39
Okay, this is a big and complicated issue, so I'm not going to make any big and complicated statements about the breeding changes until it's been tested for a bit (and probably not really even then). The relatively free breeding of pets has made a very over-saturated market, and no one would deny being able to buy a six-vis Nixi for 1 gold is broken, but there are other ways to decrease the market that I think might be more agreeable with the big-time breeders?
Has the NPC pet-buyer been considered recently? With so much breeding going on, we need a place to drain off the failures and almost-theres, and just releasing them feels like such a waste of your efforts getting that far. The release-pets leaderboard was a great idea in that respect, but it is only once a year. If it is a concern about generating too much money, then perhaps the buyer could buy them with tokens for a special shop, or even just a slight chance at a rare avatar item. Even a small potential for gain is far more motivating then no possible gain at all.

I know I'm commenting on the underside of the reason for the change (the value of the failures rather then the value of the successes), but I am not one of those big breeders who actually sell their six-vis max pets, so this is the only part of the market issue I feel qualified to comment on. ^^ Hopefully it's not too off-topic... I just felt it should be mentioned.

P.S.
(After a re-reading of the initial post... mothers would rack up impossible cool-downs with an uncapped increase system. Eventually that Sylesti would simply become unbreedable, and that would be a devastating loss in some cases, especially with the rare themes. My suggestion: There should be a cap for how long the cooldown can become; the females have to stay usable in a practical sense.)
Absoluteinsanity
Level 71
Gingerbread Architect
Threads: 43
Posted: 2/22/2018 at 11:44 AM Post #40
Just quickly adding my opinion to the tide of voices: I do not like this idea. Not one little bit. Imposing further restrictions to breeding pets on a pet-breeding site would just cause unnecessary frustration and this may blow up like the food cost thing did.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5... 12, 13, 14
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.