Threads: 155
Posted: 1/31/2019 at 5:08 AM Post #1
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 1/31/2019 at 5:12 AM Post #2

Article Written by Limor, Edited by Grapejuice

This months recap will be highlighting important things going on in Sylestia this month. An overview of the winter fest as well as Lupora themed updates shall be included!

~Winter Fest~
This month we saw the winter fest! Many Activities were open to players this month, a rundown of this will be included. On the 23rd we saw the close of the winter fest and will wish it a goodbye until next December. Keep on the lookout for Spring Fest preparations as they are sure to come in the following months.

Bosses
New bosses and avatar outfits we're introduced this fest. We had the return of the Gingerbread, Arctic Nomad's set, and Owl Tamer's Owl-fit with new colors. Out of all of these Wolf Hunter's had to be found in Festival Shop.

The Arctic Guardian, Grffi Spirit Tamer, and Partridge outfit sets were also introduced. Partridge was found in Winter Wonderland and the Festival Shop, as well as traditional being released last month in Advent

Snow Wars
Winners of Snow Wars have also been released for round one and two
Rating vs AI - Round #1
1. Somneli (3,243)
2. Theafy (3,206)
3. Angelzrulez (3,203)
4. Gerry (3,111)
5. Galaxis (3,100)
6. Jennia (3,006)
7. Sageturtle (3,001)
8. Moonsugar (2,978)
9. Varyntha (2,971)
10. Leblolam (2,899)

Rating vs Players - Round #1
1. Theafy (960)
2. Dial (360)
3. Angelzrulez (312)
4. Shardial (296)
5. Metachemist (272)
6. Elleshie (264)
7. Branstark (240)
8. Avaruial (216)
9. Crystalfrost88 (200)
10. Shadowized (192)

Rating vs AI - Round #2
1. Theafy (3,240)
2. Kalores (3,227)
3. Angelzrulez (3,212)
4. Bunne (3,185)
5. Gerry (3,179)
6. Somneli (3,166)
7. Amitiel (3,086)
8. Metachemist (3,026)
9. 8bitdiscopotato (3,019)
10. Leblolam (2,980)
11. GoldGryphon (2,905)
12. Weaver (2,707)
13. Dragoil (2,669)
14. Moonsugar (2,668)
15. Limor (2,625)

Rating vs Players - Round #2
1. Theafy (440)
2. Bunne (336)
3. Elleshie (248)
4. Kalores (248)
5. Angelzrulez (216)
6. Crystalfreeze (200)
7. Hopeless (152)
8. Amitiel (136)
9. Shadowhunter0913 (112)
10. Dial (88)
11. Sageturtle (72)
12. Leblolam (56)
13. Branstark (24)
14. Taptothebeat (24)
15. Auraknite (24)

~Forum Contests and Games~
3-vis Griffi
The winner of the 3-vis griffi for the winter festival was Dinnerbone!

Eggling Auction
Winners of the eggling auction can be found here.

Song Scramble
The three winners of the Winter Song Scramble were:
1st - Skylaforhan
2nd - Yawnee, Fawncatuslover

~Build a Gingerbread House~
First
Absoluteinsanity

Feinics

Second
Faeyla

Dragoil

Third
Random01

Artemesia

Wanda

Savynn

Leoak1

Coloring Page
First
Ajthedragon

Gerry

Second
Fuzzyarcticdragons

Dinnerbone

Third
Laceandribbons

Ley

Find the Sled Team
Ancientelma - Araphne

Aamore -Tomte

Caw - Lisaena

~Lost Grove Trait Design~
A contest for the Lost Grove Restricted Trait designs was open until Jan 23rd and Next Issues I'm sure new traits shall be showcased! A few of my favourites are showcased below:

Hunter's Antlers, Elkwhowanders

Parasitic Fungi, Neuonce

Cave Plating, Bananafood

~Lupora Themed Colour Pallet Updates~
After the Lupora updates, they are finally receiving an update to themed colour pallets. With this new colour update, Purebred offspring also have the option to have their colours updated along with tagged. This option will be available to the current owners of the pet afflicted. A list of the themed luporas colour schemes affected is shown here.

Frosted Glass Update
Frosted glass has been updated to include A1. On January 30th it was found out that it was due to a botched implementation and it was simply not loading at all or with a white overlay. It has been fixed and frosted glass is back to what it once was. However, people liked the botched version so much that Krinadon made it into a new trait called "Frosting" In gene two.

That's all for this month, and wow what a busy month it was! We'll be back in the next issue for February.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 1/31/2019 at 5:12 AM Post #3

Article Written by Limor, Edited by Shadowhunter0913
Hello, welcome to my little segment on how to make the perfect design! I will be offering tips and tricks, and a special interview with a designer from the community, as well as examples of well-made design tips. These tips are more centred on themed designs.
(Also, a very useful guide to themed pet contest designs can be found right here by Scatheorite)

~Color Pallets~
Now I myself have had one themed design chosen, and for this first bit, I will be using mine as an example.
Mystic Forest Aurleon (Lost Grove)

Now, this photo was the reference. As you can see by looking at my design you can tell the design draws from the reference. As this design was made for a themed contest, the colours had to work well with all traits. This was something I made sure of, and you can ensure this as well in your own themed designs by individually checking each trait on the colour scheme.

Taking a look at the colour pallete, this brings up something else I would like to mention about making your design. Keep a very general colour scheme, and in the pallete above, there are mostly greens. For a few traits, typically C1-C3, use a colour that pops. This colour(s) will stand out and push forward the design and other colours. Having one or two popping colours will also help keep the design from getting overwhelmed by other colours. Another good example I have of using this prominent colour is in the Redwood Griffi.

Taking a look at the colour pallet above, it follows hand in hand with the ideas presented previously. The neon blue is a nice accent that shows up often, but not too often, and doesn't overwhelm the design as it had a fair possibility to do so, being a very flashy colour.

~Using References~
When using a reference and taking colours from a photo, I highly suggest using a colour picker. This is the website that I use and highly recommend. Now, when using a reference you have to look at a photo and decide what you want to take away from it and what colours are going to be the focal point of the design. (Now remember, even when using a reference photo, feel free to mess with the colours, customizing it more to what you need, but try to keep it true to the original photo)
Now lets take this photo for an example:

In this photo, the dark colour of the water would be the focal point. This can be translated to the C1, or C2 on some pets, as the main pelt colour. I transferred this to an Aeridini so you can follow my progress as I design it step by step.

Now the next colours to deal with are the eye and C2 colours. I shall be using the red of the fish for this. When you are taking from any other photo you want to use your secondary colour for this, the second most prominent colour you want to showcase.
For C3 I am going to be using a lighter shade of the waters hue, taken from where the light shines on it.

Now, with trait colours, I suggest sticking to the C1 colour and just using different shades of this colour. You can also use (I would keep it to one trait slot) your pop colour in one of the other slots for this.
((Seeing as how this is an Aeridini, I am doing M1 and M2, wings and flower, at the same time as the traits))

Now, for the mutations, use the same general idea of the colours. Make sure they complement each other well so that it all looks drawn together.

This was the overall design that I finished with!

The colour pallete has that red pop a bit more times than suggested due to the trait layout of the Aeridinis. Another thing you have to take in consideration is the way the species traits work and how the colours are shown on the species when putting that colour pop in.

~Interview with Ebonyflicker~
Ebonyflicker is one of the prominent designers in the community and she has had many of her themed designs chosen for the contest. She is the creator of:
Winter 2017-18: Winter Terror Ny'vene, Gilded Forest Kelpari, Permafrost Bulbori
Spring 2018: Sakura Sylvorpa
Summer 2018: Forest Sunlight Aurleon, Poppy Nyvene, Ocean Floor Qitari, Volcanic Glass Zolnixi
Winter 2018-19: Crackling Fire Aurleon, Winter Dawn Qitari
Below in an exclusive interview with her on how she makes her designs as well as some advice she has too offer.

Were you expecting to get chosen for so many themed designs?
Originally? No. I didn't get any chosen for my first two fests, and then spontaneously got three chosen on the next. Then I got excited and thought it was a sure thing, but it turns out that I just can't get fall fest designs chosen for the life of me. I'm kidding, it's just a very unpredictable process in general, and takes some luck.

How do you get inspiration for your designs?
I choose whatever color I feel like using, usually influenced by whatever artwork/designs I've been looking at recently. I rarely if ever use images as references, since most of them are too low saturation and low contrast for my tastes. I'm better with nebulous themes, if any, such as 'water' or 'winter'.

What tricks have you found to making a successful color pallet?
Mostly, I go by instinct. If some part of it stands out in a way that I don't like (like a color that doesn't fit the feel of the entire thing), I change it. I constantly scrap designs and save versions so I can try adjusting them in different directions.
In general, high contrast of some kind, as well as a difference in value is important. Not using more than a few different bright, high saturation colors also helps. Something that I notice I do a lot is that I add different shades of the same color on the body colors.

What advice can you give people wanting to make successful designs?
Something that I think would help a good deal of people would be to make sure to add variation in terms of color. By that, I mean nearly never use the same color more than several times in gene slots or body colors. Getting feedback from lots of people helps as well, since other people are often better at seeing things that you don't. Basically, just keep trying! There's no one right way to do it.

(If you need samples, here's two of my most popular designs)

Overall I hope these tips and tricks will benefit you when you are making a design! Feel free to send in your questions to me, Limor, and I will try to answer them in the next article!
Edited By Grapejuice on 2/1/2019 at 2:45 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 1/31/2019 at 5:12 AM Post #4

Article Written by Lalalanmao
The winter festival was a great way for many talented artists to show off their skill and creativity.
~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~
Limor

Has this wonderfully colored page caught your attention? If so come check out her store or check out some more examples of her art here.
~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~.-.~
Sweden

Has this new take on the page sparked your eyes, and do you like chibi art? Come check out some of Swedes art work on DA or his art dump. If this has caught your attention, go check out his store
Amethystgaurdian

Has this creative masterpiece of darkness and light enlighted a desire for more. Then look at this lovely wolf drawing.
Dinnerbone

Has the metallic sheen of this coloring page caught your eye? Then look at these other fanart and other drawings created by Dinnerbone #1, #2, #3.
Laceandribbons

Come check out some of their other artwork. Omifoxxo's Queen, Somneli's Goldie, Trickster, Trickster, Sora, Brothers, Xavion's CLS, and Hundelskler.
Congratulations to everyone who was displayed here, and I hoped everyone liked them. Please remember to recommend artists for the next edition, and remember never give up on art as everyone has a muse which expresses itself in its own unique way.
Edited By Grapejuice on 1/31/2019 at 5:30 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 1/31/2019 at 5:12 AM Post #5

Article Written by Ingiman1, Edited by Aquila, Banner by Sweden

This month we've decided to spotlight Aamore (formerly known as Spicybb). Aamore founded and has been running the carnivals that we can enjoy during the intermissions between festivals and events! It's a lot of work and a nice way for everyone to keep busy during the slower days of Sylestia. With tons of prizes to be won it's a true gift to the community. We've managed to get an interview with her about her process and reasoning behind the carnivals!

Ingiman1: Why did you first decide to create these carnivals between intermissions of the festivals?
Aamore: My first ever Carnival began in October 2017 because I saw a thread that said Fall Festival. Though I liked the activities that that player presented there I wanted to create my own version and run it in a different manner, so I started up the thread. I do believe it was in the middle of the Fall Festival at the time, but back then I wasn't interested in the activities presented there because I was an uneducated player. It started off with a small selection of activities and the prizes ranging from a random tamed pet to a project offspring. By the time the Winter Festival rolled around I was more interested in the zone and far more intrigued by the Themed Pets. Since I ran the Fall Carnival so poorly during the Festival I decided to open the Carnival during the period that no official festivals are running. Since it is a time where people search through the site looking for something to do I figured it would be a good idea to run them during this spare time. It has been that way since.

Ingiman1: Can you explain the process you have to go through to get these carnivals set-up?
Aamore: When creating a new Carnival thread I simply lock down about 13 spots and transfer some already existing activities over to the new carnival. Over a period of about 2 weeks, I collect prizes, finish up new activities, and transfer currency. I usually keep a date posted at the top thread to let everyone know when it opens. With the opening of the Valentine's Carnival, a new Carnival that I am planning to open up come to the end of February, I'm going to be collecting more Fabled Exclusives and rare Avi items for the Shop. There isn't much more to it, though I do enjoy coming up with special activities that draw in each of my customers!

Ingiman1: Do you know how long you're going to keep doing this?
Aamore: I'm planning to continue doing these Carnivals for as long as I am active on Sylestia, which I hope is going to be for a long time still to come. I love the reactions that I get from everyone that participates and I especially love giving back to this amazing community! As a matter of fact, I mainly do these Carnivals because I don't want many of the items and pets that I make and get during the Festival Season. I would much rather give back then release them or let them sit and do nothing in my stables.

That was a telling interview and an interesting look behind the scenes of the carnivals! Join us next month for the next player to be spotlighted!
Edited By Grapejuice on 1/31/2019 at 5:36 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 1/31/2019 at 5:37 AM Post #6
~Limor's Newbie Tips and Tricks~
Written by Limor, Edited by Letsplay
Hello Sylestians! Limor here! This column written for the Sylestian Time will be a sort of mini guide for newbies (And perhaps some older players!) too help navigate around Sylestia! Hopefully this article will be able to inform and help advise players and enrich your stay on the site!

~Making and Keeping Money~
A common question I have seen from newer players on the site, and a question I had myself for quite a while, is how do you make, and more importantly keep, money?
--
One of the first-most and important tips is: Finish the storyline! Although it may not seem as though you are making much gold from this it will lead you to outlets which will allow you, with time, to be rolling in gold! Once you finish up and unlock Esior's Haven you will unlock your first opportunities for Missions.

Now in order to complete these missions and finish Exceptional, which will give you double the rewards, you must ensure you have the right stats!

The needed stat, highlighted above, must be accounted for! I myself have found that these stats work best for missions:
Lvl 0: 400+
Lvl 10: 500+
Lvl 20: 550+
Lvl 25+: 600+
---
Now that I have gone over the main way to keep money the best way I myself have found to keep money is:
Don't Splurge on unneeded items
Although you may want that pretty pet do you really need it? Keep in mind how much gold you have, if you need it, and will it benefit you. Once you have a decent gold pile then feel free to splurge a bit! But while you're building up your bank try to refrain from spending and you will have gold in the millions in no time!

~Party Slots~
As soon as you can unlock your 2nd and 3rd party slots! Party slots add extra strength and will increase the size of your team. Unlocking your party slots is one of the most important things you can do. Although it can be somewhat pricey for newer players the benefits from it will be worth it. Head over too your town's plaza and there you can view the merchant selling party slots.

~Fests~
Fests are a very fun activity for players to take part in but they can be somewhat confusing for newer players. If you have all three of your party slots unlocked I suggest giving the fest zone a look. Bosses can drop avi items and sometimes even essences, giving you the chance to create a new themed sylestia.

Snow wars is another fun activity you can do during Winter Fest. Snow wars give you a chance to get rewards and to interact with others in the community through PvP battles! I suggest giving this a try because if you lose you still get rewards. Overall the fest has a lot to offer and I suggest dropping into Region Chat in the fest zone and saying hello!

~Forums~
I highly suggest giving the forums a look around! Many players run fun games and guilds that are open to newer players and, in some cases, offer prizes! You can get to know people and make friends, I myself have made several good friends from the forums! The community of Sylestia is very welcoming and open and we would all love to get to know you!

If you have any questions I didn't answer feel free to check out the player guides which offer in-depth information on parts and the play-through of sylestia.
--
Also feel free to send in your questions and we will try to answer them in the next issue!
Edited By Grapejuice on 1/31/2019 at 5:42 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 1/31/2019 at 5:46 AM Post #7

Written by Orca2Whale, Edited by Shardial

Welcome to the Themed Pet Showcase, where I (Orca2Whale) showcase select Festival Themes each month. Today, Ill be focusing on Winter Festival 2018 themes created by the amazing Rysk.

I, being my crazy nocturnal self, PMed Rysk the other night (on New Years Eve, no less!), and was able to get the short interview below (I have omitted my introduction for the simple fact that I never truly had one).

Rysk: Okay, so this fest I had three themes chosen: the Emperor Penguin Aeridini, Desolate Tundra Draeyl, and Lemming Luffox. I had entered two previous contests (Summer and Fall 2018), but this was the first time I had any designs chosen. I kind of used different approaches to creating each of them, but I will go over each question for every one of them.

Me: What was your inspiration?
Rysk: For the Penguin and Lemming themes, I simply used reference images pulled from the Internet to form an idea of what colors to use, and where to place them. I basically just thought of animals I considered winter-y, or those I thought of that best represented cold weather zones. As for the Desolate Tundra (Draeyl) theme, the inspiration came more from the name. I thought up the name far before I began designing, actually. Im honestly not completely sure why or how I thought of it, but I wanted something that would sound interesting and unique. I designed it without reference images; I chose colors to fit the name.

Me: Did you know what you wanted the designs to look like before you started designing?
Rysk: Hard to say. I did use reference pictures, but its rather hard to envision something without actually making it!

Me: How easy was it to create these themes?
Rysk: Ha! Not at all.These three that were chosen were created during the Fall Festival, far before the winter design contest was officially announced. I created the bases early on and then tweaked as I saw fit. Sometimes, what looked good before would look strange as I looked back. I had to delete a lot of failed drafts.

Me: Did you expect to have your designs chosen?
Rysk: Not exactly. I was (and still am!) definitely very proud of the Emperor Penguin Aeri. I received a lot of positive feedback on that design and saw it show up on a lot of those _____s Winter Theme Picks threads, which made me pretty happy. As for the other two? Err, not really. Lemming Luff showed up on some of those threads as well, but I really didnt expect much out of it. I personally didnt like that design nearly as much as the Aeri, likely because that species isnt exactly at a high point on my favorites list. The Desolate Tundra Draeyl, thoughthat being chosen was quite a shock, in my opinion. The Desolate Tundra palette was originally designed as a Vulnyx, and I kind of threw together the Draeyl near the end of the design contest simply because I wanted to enter one design for every species. Pretty much the only thing I liked about it was the name.

Me: Anything else youd like to tell Sylestia Times readers? Advice? Last remarks?
Rysk: As clich as it sounds, dont get discouraged. If a design you were proud of didnt make the cut, take a look at it again at another time. Do you think it would fit in with the high standard of other past themes? What could be fixed or changed? I myself have started recording my past theme designs. It might be a good idea for others to do so as well. I dont just think Ive improved, I know I have. I see my previous designs, and while I dont find them horrendously awful, I know theyre not quite the best I couldve done. It takes time to make a good design, and never be afraid to ask for opinions. Oh, and check out Scathreoites design guide, which is usually linked in the official conteststheres a lot of very good information people miss if its their first design contest, and many key mistakes are made. And, try to make sure your design doesnt share a name with or resemble an already existing theme.

(Thanks for the interview, Rysk!)

Now, for a few notes about some of these epic themes!

Emperor Penguin Aeridini

To make a few notes comparing the design to the real thing, it fits well: the colors coordinate well, and the orange is a very good match for the real thing. It suits the design and adds a nice amount of color and life to the design. It also fades in a way that looks like the actual thing on some mutations and genes. The dark blue accents are a nice touch that makes it look more real, as not everything is going to be a pure black on a penguin.

Something you might notice while looking at some examples of this theme is that some traits can overpower the design with orange or grey. For one pet I found, orange was blocking out every bit of white on the sylesti. Still, these sylestis are generally both very popular and expensive.

Desolate Tundra Draeyl

The colors of this theme are amazing. They blend well and tend to fit wonderfully with traits for the Draeyl, and they really do look like colors you would find in a tundra. Many sylesties of the theme have wing and armor traits. These pets also seem to be popular, with only three pages of them for sale on the advanced search.

Lemming Luffox

If you take a look at real lemmings, Rysk did a great job matching this designs colors to the real thing. Take a peek at the pets of this theme, and youll see that there are less than the other two themes. Part of this may be due to how the Luffox species is not quite as popular in comparison to the other two species.

(Thanks, Winternova668, for the research help!)

I really dont have much more to say about these three themes. However, I would love to hear from you all if you have objections/something youd like to add/suggestions for future Themed Pet Showcase designers/themes. Until then, see you all later! ;D
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 1/31/2019 at 5:47 AM Post #8

Each issue we have a small games section for you guys to play around with and hopefully have some fun playing!

Cryptogram
By Lalalanmao
This will be a continues game, with each month giving you a clue, and eventually, at the end of the year (December edition) You can send in your guesses for the over-all thing. We'll have a random draw for everyone who guessed and got it right with some prizes to hand out!

Sylestia Go - The Game!
By Limor
We're bringing this back! Limor will be posting three pictures off of google maps with a sylesti in them. You have to guess where that sylesti is! Send Limor your guesses and anyone who has it correct will be put into a draw and receive some prizes. Winners to be announced next issue so stay tuned!

Short Tales
By Griffinlokison
Stories have been apart of cultures for eons. They started out as a way to teach children, for reading and writing had not yet been discovered, but speech was the key to everyday life. Today, storytelling has evolved into writing, taking the form of books and short stories.
This section is dedicated to your short tales! Every monthly edition, I will place a story prompt. You write your story off of the prompt and send them to me. I will select a few of the tales, which will be featured in the next issue. Grammar and spelling do play a part in my selection. I am placing a 700 word limit on the stories, but a little bit over that won't hurt anything. Make sure your stories follow Sylestian Law, and give a warning of any possible sensitive material. Your stories do not have to be Sylestia themed. Now the way my prompts work are most of them require you to finish the sentence, and then continue the story from there. I hope you all have fun! Have questions? Message me!
January Prompt:
"If only Jack hadn't run off like that, we wouldn't be in this mess," she said as she....

Crossword
By Grapejuice & Freki

Edited By Grapejuice on 1/31/2019 at 6:07 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 1/31/2019 at 6:08 AM Post #9
Ask Sadie

Written by Grapejuice & Sadie
As the only sylesti on our staff Sadie has the inside look on a sylesti's life, so feel free to send in questions for her to answer! Just PM any questions to Grapejuice, and in the next issue, Sadie will answer them with a sylesti's perspective!
Edited By Grapejuice on 1/31/2019 at 6:12 AM.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 1/31/2019 at 6:08 AM Post #10
~Syestia Times Comics~
Article Written by Limor, Edited by Grapejuice
Hello fellows Sylestians! It's me Limor again, and I'm representing the comic group for this month. For this column we will be showcasing a well known user's Sylestian comics. Next month you can expect the start of a webcomic made by Shardial, Vigil, Me, GriffinLokison, Grapejuice, and Sweden.

Tori

Tori is an artist around the community and they have made several sylestian comics as well as some artwork pieces. They have given us permission to showcase their comics and I highly recommend you check out their art here and consider adopting a nudimo from their shop here (I myself have a Nudimo and he's adorable!)
--
The Comics
--

This Comic shows a baby Nytekri saying "ahh" and showcasing several small beaks inside it's beak.

Showcasing the movement of Kelparis.

As several of you know many players, (including myself), have a habit of going through markets and releasing 1g pets, this comic shows that.

Tori also has made several other wonderful Sylestia art pieces and I will show a few below!

--
All artwork showcased in this thread can be credited back to Tori and all rights and creating go to them.
Edited By Grapejuice on 1/31/2019 at 6:18 AM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4
This Page loaded in 0.013 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.