Threads: 66
Posted: 9/21/2019 at 12:02 PM Post #41
Still like the old design better, but their good
MistressNyx
Level 75
The Eggstraordinaire
Threads: 121
Posted: 9/21/2019 at 12:30 PM Post #42
Ooh, they look really nice now. I still think their faces should be a bit less flat, and the babies a bit less fluffy, since they are birds of prey, not giant feathery fuzzballs.
Sylestia4life
Level 52
Threads: 0
Posted: 9/21/2019 at 1:34 PM Post #43
I love it! They look so elegant! Even if its a bit more detailed than the real deal.
Arofawn
Level 75
High Druid
Threads: 41
Posted: 9/21/2019 at 2:11 PM Post #44
just fyi, your picture seems to have disappeared.
Stormwing
Level 72
The Perfectionist
Threads: 14
Posted: 9/21/2019 at 2:58 PM Post #45
I think I already have one!
Electrifying
Level 70
The Tender
Threads: 28
Posted: 9/21/2019 at 4:58 PM Post #46
Well then, I'm in love! These look amazing!
Xavion
Level 75
The Perfectionist
Threads: 434
Posted: 9/21/2019 at 5:37 PM Post #47
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=81059&page=2#17
Author: Dinnerbone
Time Posted: 9/20/2019 at 12:06 AM
Oh better!
I think my complaints at this point are largely satisfied, but some things still bother me a bit:
1. Relaxing the raised female's claws
2. More of an S-shape in the neck and chest for both
3. I still feel like the heads look too big
4. The male's back can take a more extreme arch and his fore-feet can still be moved closer together

Dragons and owls are both animals I feel are associated with having a proud or regal stance. I think almost all of the suggestions up above are efforts to achieve that.

Here are some rly rly quick doodles. obviously not quite the style you're going for, but in order to convey a point

Edit: I think I might also agree with scath about the two finger thing

After seeing these GORGEOUS birdies with the strong, regal poses, the official sketches now look like clumsy little slouch-potatoes whose frames are folding under the weight of their own floof. Dinnerbone's poses are so much better at reading "owl-dragon" since it brings the "dragon" back to the picture. Chests out, chins up, and their heads held high.

The male is imposing, commanding of respect and awe! And without looking overly vicious which is perfect. He looks like you'd have to approach with caution, maybe offer a tasty snack and bow your head. The official one looks more.... docile by comparison. Like he may nip at someone but really, he just wants food and belly rubs.

As for the female, Dinnerbone's looks a lot more elegant and majestic, even queenly.

These poses say "a fearsome species" to me.These give off the "The Nytekrie are very selfish creatures. Self preservation is always their top priority." kind of vibe. And they definitely look more fitting for "Nytekries are built to be a very powerful flying Sylesti."

If it isn't too late, yes, please, to the S-shaped necks. I can't unsee this.
Mikazukichan
Level 75
The Artistic
Threads: 313
Posted: 9/21/2019 at 7:31 PM Post #48
I haven't given my opinion on the nyte sketches as of yet because so many others with a better understanding (and love) for the species have been doing such a good job lobbying for fantastic changes to the sketches. Rather than writing out my own critique (which would not be anywhere near as informed as others), I would like to say "yes please" to Dinnerbone's suggested tweaks to the poses of these pets. I've mostly been ambivalent toward nytes, and that would be set to continue with the current proposed poses. But those arrogant, regal, owl-dragon-esque poses Dinnerbone suggested... the haughty expressions.... I would have to buy six more stables for wanting all of those nytes.

Other critiques I agree with:
-in the current female pose, that near back leg really does need looking at. It does have a rather distinct look of being broken at the moment because of how it splays out from the body
-Scath's ongoing quest to bring back the dimorphism. Maybe this is going to show up in the line art rather than the sketches, but it would be nice to see it return
-3 claw vs 2 claw forelimbs: I have no strong feeling on this, but I do agree that two seemed less crowded than three

I do think that the idea is coming along nicely for the adults, but some work could definitely still be done. Like Xav, after seeing Dinnerbone's rendition of what this species *could* be, I can't unsee it. I want those haughty, regal, arrogant, slightly dangerous looking owl-dragons that match their description.
Ayalaatreides
Level 70
Threads: 16
Posted: 9/21/2019 at 8:56 PM Post #49
I know I already commented on this, but I really, really, hope Krin will take a look at Dinnerbone's sketches and take them into consideration. The poses and expressions fit the concept of the Nytekrie so well! Even the name "night-cry" suggests a regal, powerful creature, and Dinnerbone's sketches really convey that.
Valishade
Level 61
The Perfectionist
Threads: 137
Posted: 9/23/2019 at 5:11 PM Post #50
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=81059&page=5#47
Author: Xavion
Time Posted: 9/21/2019 at 5:37 PM
[quote=1832433]

After seeing these GORGEOUS birdies with the strong, regal poses, the official sketches now look like clumsy little slouch-potatoes whose frames are folding under the weight of their own floof. Dinnerbone's poses are so much better at reading "owl-dragon" since it brings the "dragon" back to the picture. Chests out, chins up, and their heads held high.

The male is imposing, commanding of respect and awe! And without looking overly vicious which is perfect. He looks like you'd have to approach with caution, maybe offer a tasty snack and bow your head. The official one looks more.... docile by comparison. Like he may nip at someone but really, he just wants food and belly rubs.

As for the female, Dinnerbone's looks a lot more elegant and majestic, even queenly.

These poses say "a fearsome species" to me.These give off the "The Nytekrie are very selfish creatures. Self preservation is always their top priority." kind of vibe. And they definitely look more fitting for "Nytekries are built to be a very powerful flying Sylesti."

If it isn't too late, yes, please, to the S-shaped necks. I can't unsee this.

Honestly same. The official sketches remind me of fluffy barnyard show chickens. And that's not appealing...

When I think of this species I always thought of Kulukan or feathered-serpent/dragon. Regal and mysterious, beautiful and powerful.

These sketches here really seem to embody that very well. I really love the female pose in this sketch it's really beautiful.

I implore the ops to take these sketches into consideration.
Edited By Bookie on 9/23/2019 at 5:12 PM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... 12, 13, 14
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.