Forum Index > News and Announcements > Lupora Revamp Plan
Page 8 1, 2, 3... 7, 8, 9... 11, 12, 13 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Sillyriddler
Level 70
High Druid
Threads: 6
Posted: 10/20/2018 at 6:41 PM Post #71
I think there should be three options available to players regarding purebreds.

One: they can choose for the pet to not undergo automatic color changes the same as the original themed.

Two: accept the automatic color changes the same as the original themed.

Three: choose to alter the re-generatable colors to their own design, at the price of that pet no longer holding the title of "purebred".
Katelynn4545
Level 71
The Artistic
Threads: 345
Posted: 10/20/2018 at 6:58 PM Post #72
*sneaks in*
Im all for full color re-gens personally its one thing I love most about revamping a species >.< however I do think that purebred themes should at least have an option. Maybe a player can select the regen as a pb or as a regular pet in the case they chose pb they cannot change the colors and only the traits. And if they so chose the pet will no longer be considered pb. I dont know how doable that is ...... but it was a thought ^.^
Charlottespider
Level 66
Threads: 38
Posted: 10/20/2018 at 7:13 PM Post #73
Full color regens i am all for it. The traits I completely understand seeing a bit of its effect on value of certain lunes.

This is my view either way you look at it....

A previous pet site promised these same things and after five years nothing happened. It was a terrible disappointment and now theres never a comment about revamp or updating. My point? How you manage this site is amazing. You truly love it and the community. I am very happy with this game and whatever you choose to do i am happy with for the fact that they are getting revamped and thats exciting enough.

As far as i want, replace rainbow mechanical stuff with a more practical color. Keep the new helmet/ goggles design because it looks better. Full color regen. And traits be whatever

P.s. later i can contribute to more meaningful opinions. However i am new and know very little. I dont want to press an opinion out of ignorance. That would not be helpful for anyone
Edited By Charlottespider on 10/20/2018 at 8:37 PM.
Xxwinterwoodsxx
Level 66
Warden of Umbra
Threads: 44
Posted: 10/20/2018 at 7:17 PM Post #74
I'm cool with whatever, but I think it is probably best that purebreeds don't get color regens. It kind of takes away from the design. Full color regens would be wonderful for all the other regular Lupora, though I can think that woudn't be good for the sylestian economy as a whole. Maybe not, though. Once again, cool with whatever.
Skor
Level 75
Luck of the Draw
Threads: 53
Posted: 10/20/2018 at 8:10 PM Post #75
Would you consider making full regens for Luporas with at least 2 trigger traits? (Or, if that's still too many, up it to 3?) I think that would help reduce the numbers and not ruin the Lupe economy. I do like having regen-able traits. However, if it came down to choosing between full color or full trait regeneration, I'd rather have full colors. Having at least that makes projects a lot cheaper to complete. Without full traits as well, it might make them a tad more difficult, but it'll probably be like working with Themed, so I won't mind too much if their traits

As for regenerating purebreds, I think players should be given three options:
1. Have an option to keep them as they are.
2. Update them to the new colors.
3. Or, given that they get color regens, change the colors to what they want. This Luff still counts as a purebred, even though her parents were dyed so her colors look drastically different from the original Foo Dog Luffox palette. I think purebreds should be able to have their colors regenerated to whatever the player wants. While it's true that much of their value comes directly from their color schemes, many projects are dyed purebreds anyways.
Mikazukichan
Level 75
The Artistic
Threads: 313
Posted: 10/20/2018 at 8:13 PM Post #76
So... I have a few thoughts on this:

1. I vote for the 200k full colour regens. The nice thing with colour regens is you can choose to do it, or not, and it doesn't really matter. If my hypothetical project pair looks gorgeous after revamp, I can just keep breeding them and not have to regen them at all. If I don't like the way they look, at least I can fix that without dropping a ton on dyes to fix it *staring straight at nixis after their revamp*

2. Purebred themed: as a themed breeder who is thrilled with the purebred tag.... well, I've noticed something odd happening in newer players' sales posts: pets being sold as 'purebred' whatever, that don't look like purebreds, because somewhere back an ancestor was regenned and, this player not knowing what the theme *should* look like, just accepts the tag means more than the colour scheme and tries to sell the pet as 'purebred' (which, technically it *is*, but doesn't contain the spirit of what makes it the theme). Now, with dyes, you can see immediately that the pet was dyed by the little dye bottle. With regens... you cannot. So, long story short: I am solidly in the camp of treating purebred offspring like original themes where colour regens are concerned. Not sure where I fall in the spectrum of theme breeders on that opinion, but that's where I am XD

3. Full trait regens: personally, I'd still love for this to be an option. Like Xav, I haven't really noticed full regens causing problems with specific pet economies. Back in the day, nearly every vorpa out there got a full regen, if I remember right. Now, that made it difficult for breeding with pets owned by people who weren't playing anymore, but I don't remember it lowering their worth. If we're talking super popular pet species, Zolnixis were one of the first to offer full trait regens, though no colour regens. I still own some regennable nixis that I bred. If I sold them today, they may or may not sell well, but I think that's more because they can't be recoloured without using dyes (which tells me right away that colour regens are more important than trait regens when thinking about the species economy). But, again, having nixis with 12 trait points to regen makes them worth quite a bit. And I know that before every revamp, as soon as the traits that will cause a full regen are revealed, I (and probably everyone else) go to the advanced search and buy up as many with those traits as I feasibly can. And, within hours of the announcement, any pets with those traits that haven't been purchased already have their prices doubled, or tripled, and will usually sell at that price too before the revamp. After the revamp, once those pets have available trait points, the price usually goes up again, especially on themed and purebred, and they will still sell. By contrast, with this limited trait regen (mostly just to move traits) and proposed no colour regen... I'm not interested in going and buying any of the lups that people have bred just to sell for the revamp. I don't know what the traits will look like, so I don't want to 'waste' gold on something I might not like anyway. With full trait and colour regens, it doesn't matter if I think the pet I'm buying is hideous. In a week, I could change it into something pleasing, and that I think helps the economy rather than hurting it? So.... I'm really not sure I see how it would negatively affect the economy to have all the affected lups be fully trait regennable, but maybe I'm not seeing a bigger picture somewhere?

Anyway, these have been my opinions on the subject.

Edit: also, just want to say: these new lups are gorgeous. If they weren't I wouldn't care half so much because I wouldn't want to work with them XD They weren't high on my list before, but seeing the new luporas, they're definitely going up the list. All of my opinions are being voiced because I like them so much!
Edited By Mikazukichan on 10/20/2018 at 8:57 PM.
SpaceElf1
Level 75
Ghost Writer
Threads: 673
Posted: 10/20/2018 at 8:14 PM Post #77
Asviloka expressed my own thought: "I personally feel purebred pets should remain within their theme; that is, the colours should remain as-is when regening, and there should be a specific button to adjust their colours to the new version if desired. Separately, so the traits can be chosen and then the colours either changed or not, as desired." That way, if someone has dyed a PB, it can stay as it is or take its Theme's updated palette.

However, Elise practically read my mind re a more important point: ". . . I'm not too happy with the restricted regen possibilities. I agree with others that colors should all be regeneratable, but I wish we could also regenerate the traits. I'm not sure why it's now a problem, but not before with the other species... The 'Lupora economy' reason is silly. This is a pet breeding (and RPG) game, not Monopoly. Besides, the prices are determined by the seller, not by an in-game function." I don't get why, because players had a pretty good idea of what they thought would happen (numerous fully- or almost-fully-regen'able Luporas), it is therefore necessary to keep what they expected from happening and thwart their plans.

OK, the one sentence I added just above has a harsh tone, and I apologize for the tone. It's not intentional. I simply can't think of a clear way to express my thought that doesn't have that tone. Please, I intend no insult whatsoever. (Hard day; fried brain is fried.) Several other players have also expressed their disappointment and done a much better job than I have here.

Asviloka's reasoning and example is, I think, valid: "I collected Vulnyx with the Tonkinese trait. It was beautiful, a soft gradient. Then they were updated, and now my favourite trait is something I don't want. The King Cheetah trait, another favourite, had become cartoonish and overblown. I no longer wanted that on my pets.

"Since Vulnyx got no regen option, I was stuck with their ugly new traits, and ended up releasing hundreds of once-beautiful carefully-bred kitties. (And quitting for three years, but that's beside the point.) If I'd had a say in the matter, I would have begged for a chance to choose a new trait which I actually liked from the new designs.

"You might think that the changes to a trait are simple or obviously an improvement, but not everyone will agree. In the long term, what would it hurt? You say that regen'ing 80% of the Luporas would be negative, but how so? The chance to have pretty pets instead of ugly ones is detrimental to the site how?"

With all that said, or quoted, the new art is most excellent. I even like the Hellhound Armor (write that down on your calendar!). I'm sure I'll get used to the adult male's expression, and it doesn't really hurt anything that his legs are shorter than the female's are. Luporas aren't actually wolves or dogs, after all. The adult female is beautiful, the male puppy seems to be checking to make sure you are paying attention to his amazing howl, and the female puppy wants you to throw that ball again! (Thank you, artist or artists, for not letting the female pup's mane flop into her eyes.)
Rixva
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Threads: 94
Posted: 10/20/2018 at 8:42 PM Post #78
I'm very excited about this revamp. One of my first projects was a 3vis lupora and I'm still pretty proud of them, even now that I've done a whole lot more work on 6vis and max-stat projects (not nearly as much as some lol, but enough to feel like a decently experienced breeder ^-^ ).

I agree with the general consensus here - COLORS > TRAITS. I think a lot of us who've been around for past revamps knew that a full-trait re-gen was never guaranteed, but what I really care about is making sure the pets I'm proud of don't get turned into swampy messes.

You've told us which traits and which colors will trigger re-gens. But really, there's no way for me to predict what my pets will look like until I can see them for myself. I know on the project lups I mentioned above, I don't want their purple eyes and accent colors to overpower the whites and golds. I know those colors will be re-genable. But I DON'T have the slightest idea how those colors look with their genes, or with the new 'belly' coloring (because their C2 and C3 didn't really play in to the original design, they are the same, I really don't have any idea what that's going to look like. And that makes me nervous, lol.)

For me, the fact that I don't know for sure what my pets will look like makes me want more control over the outcome. I'm in favor of full-color re-gens for sure, because 1) Xavion's point about dyes is super true, especially for pets with crisp colors like mine. And 2), the more control the players have over the colors, the less "fixing" you'll be asked to do later, lol.

=====
On a separate note:

I mentioned that some of the older players knew that a full-trait re-gen wasn't guaranteed. I did, but I know I wasn't speaking for all of us. I think this fact should be made REALLY obvious at the START of the revamp process. Like, much more than a little sentence buried in a paragraph, it should really be prominent.

I think having that reminder throughout the entire process might help ease some saltiness - and it could spare some people feeling like their work collecting and mass-buying was "wasted." Like, the first three(?) revamped pets got no re-gens at all. But users who joined after that might not know, and after the re-gen hype of kelps, venes, puffs, and lunes, I'm sure some users were expecting full trait re-gens. If people are surprised by this announcement, I think that's kind of a communication failure - but it's one that's easily fixable for the future. :)
(You guys have already done so much to improve the revamp process for the userbase. I know I really appreciate how far we've come from the surprise vulnyx revamp to this new process, with so much value lent to user input. Super kudos to Sylestia for the way you work with your users. <3 )

=====
Edit:
Forgot to note about the purebred thing - I agree with most others, the lune re-vamp system was great. I think I was hesitant about that when it rolled out, but having seen it in action I think it was a great way to make the transition. The choice to update or not was ideal for me, as I did have some I preferred with the un-changed colors.
Edited By Rixva on 10/20/2018 at 8:50 PM.
Elise
Level 75
The Artistic
Threads: 99
Posted: 10/20/2018 at 9:00 PM Post #79
Just to specify, the Vulnyx revamp had no regeneration at all (and took a lot of people by surprise, too), the Qitari as well, then the Zolnixi had some traits leading to a regen, the Sylvorpa had both traits and colors, and every species afterwards had both trait regen and recoloring, if memory serves. So that would be: Aurleon, Kelpari, Lunemara, Ny'vene, Puffadore. I'm not sure for the Draeyl and the Morkko, though.
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,119
Posted: 10/20/2018 at 9:11 PM Post #80
Sorry for so many pings. But I feel this would get lost in the thread without one.

As a game developer, it's my job to 'throttle' rewards. It's just how games work. There's always a balance between investment vs reward. Obviously, I'm sure you all are aware of this. =P

So it's why things cost Diamonds, or things have rare drop rates, or are hard to find, etc, etc, etc. If Mystical Essences were awarded infinitely just by clicking, "I want that" over and over again. Well, obviously, you can see how that wouldn't make for a very good game long term. Nothing would hold value or meaning and everything would just be pointless.

This is obviously a very extreme exaggeration. But it's the concept that I try to apply to virtually every aspect of Sylestia. Games are fun because there's challenges, there's accomplishments, etc. Players can showcase their hard earnings, their hard work, their time investments, etc.

So along that line of thinking, I don't want to just casually hand out Re-Generations for any and all pets with no restrictions. Over the years, I've seen players still trying to get rid of their 12 Trait/Full Color Re-Generations because they can't really find many sellers interested in paying what the owner values them at. And I am literally cramming a massive generalization here - obviously, this is not a 100% global situation for any and all sellers/owners. But it does happen and some species are worse than others. More on this below.

Now, at the same time, I know a ton of you have invested not only a lot of time, but also actual resources and money into your current pets and projects. And revamped artwork can definitely throw a kink into that. Therefore, I have to somehow find the balance between protecting your time and resource investments vs maintaining valuable content longterm. If there's thousands of 12 TP Re-Gens for sale years from now, why is someone going to buy an Essence from the Diamond Shop? They won't (unless they just don't know any better). They will just buy a 12 TP Re-Gen for a fraction of the cost and instantly create their perfect pet. They'll skip the whole Essence buying, generating, and breeding process to get there. To me, this is bad long term for the economy and for gameplay and it's something I would like to avoid as best as I can. Hence the restrictions.

But, again, at the same time, I need to protect everyone's current projects with the time and resources you have all invested. So I have to somehow find the balance between the two ends of the spectrum. And it's very difficult lol.

In my opinion, I don't think there's significant enough changes to warrant 150-200k full trait Re-Generations. Very largely, most of the Traits (with exception to the listed Genes) have remained very similar to the original.

Generated Pets
I am in favor of all Generated pets to be fully Re-Gen'able. And I should have stated that in the original post. Those were directly created with resources (oftentimes Diamonds), so there's no reason not to allow that.

Tamed Pets
I don't think that Tamed pets should be eligible for Re-Gens outside of the triggered criteria as established in the original post. They were created by the game and caught as were. I know that Traps were used on those pets - and sometimes even Master Traps, but I have no way of tracking that sadly and I don't think that the Lupora are changing significantly enough to warrant full Re-Gens on any Tamed pet. Hellhound Armor is still Hellhound Armor. Dragon Scales are still Dragon Scales, etc, etc.

And just to emphasize again since I still have seen some confusion: ALL LUPORA, NO MATTER WHAT, will be able to select C2, AC1, and AC2.

So even if your Tamed Pet isn't getting a full Re-Gen, you will still be able to adjust it to your liking for what has changed. And this is before any triggered Re-Gen stuff as outlined in the original post.

I am also looking into allowing for full Re-Gens for pets that had Mutators used on them. I will need to look in the database though to see how applicable that is for me to do. But again, same line of thinking. If at some point in the past you directly spent resources into a pet, that should be protected.

And also the same for full Color Re-Gens for pets that have been Dyed in the past.

Offspring Pets
Now, this is the tricky part lol. I still am not in favor of full Trait Re-Gens for Offspring pets. However, I can see full Color Re-Gens for Offspring pets being fair. So I think that's what the plan would be at this time. It wouldn't really work very well if every pet of a specific breeding project could Re-Gen different color slots. So, I think it definitely makes the most sense for all Offspring pets to be able to completely select new colors across the board. But I am still not planning on full Traits being re-selectable. Thank you, all, for everyone's perspectives and feedback. I most definitely care and am trying to make this process as smooth as I can while still being what I deem as fair.

Themed Pets
As established, their colors will not be Re-Gen'able. They will be adjusted for slot swaps and then their Themed Design ultimately updated to a new official design (obviously keeping as close to the original as possible), and then players can opt to update or not.

Purebred Pets
At this point, I am planning on treating them exactly the same as Themed Pets.

Again, thank you all for the very constructive feedback and discussions. It's been extremely helpful and appreciative. I am definitely trying to make this process as smooth for you guys as I can while maintaining long-term site value for us. In all, the Lupora have taken about 350 total hours of artwork time alone. This doesn't include any of the non artwork time or my time coding them in and all that. It's been a massive project and also an expensive one lol - probably our most expensive single project to date by a longshot. We unfortunately have to keep these things in mind with revamps as we need to try and attempt to recuperate these costs after the revamp is released. So that's what I'm referring to with the Lupora economy and whatnot. Not just player to player transactions, but player to site as well.
Edited By Krinadon on 10/20/2018 at 9:13 PM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3... 7, 8, 9... 11, 12, 13
This Page loaded in 0.013 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.