Advertisements
Ask Sadie and Quarenthings
Artist's Among Us
Contest Spectrum
Limor's Designer's Guide
Newbie Tips and Tricks and Themed Pet Showcase
Spotlights

Written by Limor, Edited by Limor

Hello everyone and my, what a busy month April was! We had themed designs (which closed today), the wrapping up of the week of luck, and the Easter event. Besides that we also had some interesting job opportunities - and a surprise that will be mentioned at the end of the about section.

So to start it off lets get to those Winners from the Week of Luck. Now last Times we only showcased our favorites, but this time around we will highlight the winners:

Lucky Pair
For Lucky Pair these three ever so lucky individuals won:
Clearpool:

Ladyshannon:

Maplepuppy365:

and what wonderful designs you three had!

Now for the Cand... er, Peanut Guess!

Now the correct number of peanuts was 351, so knowing that lets highlight the winners:

1st Place

Winner: Budgie1 (350)

2nd Place

Winner: Squeak (357), Dreamfyre (340), Brightice (337)

Congrats to all of you! Good job with that guessing!

Word Search
Now I am sure many of you submitted to the Lucky Word Search, but let us review who came out on top:

1st Place

Winner: Claxmama

2nd Place

Winner: Kitten023, Mossflight2, Starlightblossom

Congrats y'all!

Now... onto the Easter Event
Now for Easter we have the create an Easter Egg games plus some other exciting themed things, first lets take a look at the winners:

Create an Easter Egg (Digital)
First Place Winners:
Ajthedragon

Dinnerbone

Ley

Second Place Winners:
Dragoil

Sophiegrace

Watercolors

Third Place Winners:
Firegem1401

Opossun

Wisiro

and view the rest of the entries here!

Create an Easter Egg (Traditional)
First Place Winners:
Myrubypixie

Ponder

Second Place Winners:
Dragoil

Oiseau

Third Place Winners:
Crowoverlord

Sylestbane

and view the rest of the entries here!

Themed Pet Design
The Spring Themed Pet Design came to a close today, with many great entries from all of you. We on the Times team and everyone else look forward too seeing who won, until then lets take a look at some of the users favorites highlighted in the lists linked below:

Ponder's List: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=87808
CeruleanCrow's List: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=87665
Limor's List: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=87687
Asphodel's List: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=89078

and if you also want to make a list it can be edited into the Times any date before June 1st!

Sylestian Job Opportunities
Hello Users and now is your chance! You want a chance to work for Sylestia? Then check out the thread above for all the information. We look forward to finding out which of our fellow players can land a spot on the Sylestian Team!

Nytekri: Final Stages
So at long last we have some updates on the Nyte's revamp! Faiona posted some photos to here where you can offer feedback! (And yes, this is the surprise mentioned to those who haven't seen it yet)

For talk of the Easter Themeds please read: Themed Pet Showcase!
Edited By Limor on 5/19/2020 at 2:52 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 293
Posted: 5/1/2020 at 6:15 PM Post #2

Games Made By: Limor, edited by Limor

Note: All winners are put into a drawing to get a final winner!

This month we are introducing some fun rewards for partaking in the games section of the Times! Each game has its own rules explaining the prize and how to get a chance to win that prize. But first, let us announce the previous winners!

Sandstorm514 you won the sliding puzzle!
Your prize is here:

Anade, you won the Word Search!
Your prize is here:

Trdoxie, you won the Crossword!
Your prize is here:

Torey, you won Sylestia Go #1, with location: Butler Garage at 114 James St, Seattle, WA 98104 being correct!
Your prize is here:

Slytherin7 you won Sylestia Go #2, with location: Post Office in Media, PA (101 East Baltimore Ave.)
Your prize is here:

Now onto the new games!
Picture Slide
https://www.proprofs.com/games/puzzle/sliding/sylestia-times/
Here is the finished image:

A picture slide is a sliding picture puzzle. To win the prize for this you must send a screenshot of the finished photo that includes your time and number of moves. Whoever has the shortest time and number of moves will win the prize:

Crossword

Welcome to the crossword! All answers can be found by looking through Sylvorpa traits in Genorator, and I will release hints as needed. Same as before, when you're finished, DM your answers to Limor. Don't share your answers. The prize is this lovely :

Edited By Limor on 5/1/2020 at 7:02 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2020 at 6:15 PM Post #3

Written by Letsplay and Limor, edited by Larkien

Welcome back to the Sylestia Book Review! This issue is going to be stuff that weve read online (webcomics), or have at home, since this Covid-19 virus has come upon us. This means that our local public libraries are closed, or we cant go there to get the books (and thats really the only place that Letsplay can get their books from).
So because of having to go online to find literature that we are allowed to use, you can now recommend webcomics for us to read. PM any that you want to be reviewed to Letsplay, please.
So scooting away from that -
Well be reviewing two webcomics that Ive found on Webtoon (a free app that you can download, or search it up and find the website to read these).
Our first webcomic is called Plum. It is created by Samkimart. The editor is Dayna Broder. And the line artist for it is Taylor Jung. Also, as of writing this, the webtoon is at 50 updates.
Then our second webcomic is The Gamer. The author of this is Sung Sang-Young, and the illustrator is Sang-Ah.
These reviews will most likely become outdated as the creators update their series.
Also, beware of spoilers!

Jumping straight into this - Plum is a webcomic about the competitive sport of Fruit Stacking. Fruit stacking is a sport where you stack fruits. These fruits can range from the size of a plum to the size of a watermelon. There are more rules about the sport, such as you cant attack the other opponent directly, but we wont get very deep into that.

The comic follows a young boy named Plum, who used to live on a farm but leaves, wanting to become a fruit stacking champion.
While reading this, you can possibly get Pokemon vibes from it, because along the adventure, Plum is an over-enthusiastic main character and meets 2 friends that become his teammates. One of them is his manager, and the other is his pitcher. (The pitcher throws fruit to the stacker) Along the way of traveling to a formal tournament match, they have to battle a few times.
Once they finally get to the tournament, they sign up and start their first match. They win all of their matches, making it to the final match. Rewinding a bit, there was a team that had signed up for the tournament. This team was using dirty tactics to win (But not illegal in the rules of the game). They were also the team that Plums team would have to battle to win the tournament. But Plum and his team being the righteous people, they decided to do something different. They didnt even try to play the game. They stood there with their heads bowed and hands clasped down in front of them until it was over. Plum and his team lost the match. But after the match, the opponents pitcher went and apologized. Finally, Plum and his team left for the next city where their next tournament would be.
Thats all for this webcomic. This one I quite enjoy and will continue reading after this. Plum has bright drawings, even when it may be darkish times. Because of this, I will give the webtoon a 9/10. I feel like some parts could be elaborated on, and some parts could be shortened to accommodate for that.

The next webcomic now! The Gamer.

This one is quite fun to read, and will be extra fun if youre into RPGs and MMOs (or just games in general). Our main character of this series is Jihan (he has a different name, but thats what most people call him). This webcomic follows abnormal powers and abilities that some people have (hundreds of thousands of people). And Jihan so happens to have a friend that has a whole family that surrounds that. But, thats not whats so extraordinary. Whats interesting is that Jihan has an ability. Abilities can come from doing something you like a lot, and what Jihan liked doing a lot - Was game! And he has the ability called The Gamer. This is a very strong ability that he has. Because to level up usually with normal peoples abilities, they would have to train day and night. While Jihan can gain XP from just walking or sleeping (small amounts only for those). He doesnt have to train very much unless he wants to upgrade abilities, and can learn abilities just by hovering his hand over a book and learning it like you would in a game. His life is basically an elaborate game, and he may be impossible to kill because he could maybe even respawn. There are so many other abilities that he can do, but its too difficult to remember all of them and explain them.
He has to face many issues, like a cult, an annoying and weird master/teacher, and many, many obstacles. And he seems so strong that nothing would faze him. But, of course, many things find a way to make him irritated or show tons of power.
This review is quite short because there are so many things going on in the webcomic that you should read it yourself to understand everything. This webcomic will get an 8.5/10, though, because of how crazy and chaotic it can seem, and how confusing it may be for a non-gamer. But the creator does help with explanations that pop up out of nowhere sometimes. Theres usually one explanation in every episode.

Thats all for this issue! And sorry about having this called a Book Review while reviewing webcomics this time. But desperate times call for desperate measures!

--

Now a section by Limor! Once again we will be reviewing a podcast and our podcast of choice this time: SleepyCast!

Now just to let you know SleepyCast can be somewhat adult but only in the jokes and knowing many of you are an older fanbase (and how I, as I started the series at 14) could see many of you enjoying it. Now SleepyCast is a podcast where a group of friends (Neil, Cory, Julian, Zack, Chris, Jeff, and Stamper, as well as some random guest features) relax and just... talk about whatever. Some of this is arguing, like which movie will be turned into a live action, sometimes series topics such as religion. We can also hear about their life - as they sometimes include segments on the wacky things they experience.

Now compared to our last podcast (Nightvale), which was only around 20 minutes long, this one is ahh usually over an hour. Now for me, personally, I can listen and just stop whenever and pick right up where I left off, but if you cant do that make sure to have some time set out ahead of you! For me, I listen to this when drawing, doing schoolwork, and just sitting in bed petting my cat.

This series came to a close very recently but with over a hundred episodes, you have plenty of footage to listen too. This podcast can be found on Apple Podcasts or Youtube - and Im quite sure some other players - as just an iPhone owner, I am unsure.

So did any of you check out Nightvale last month? Do you plan to check out this podcast? Let us know! Your thoughts matter :)
Edited By Limor on 5/1/2020 at 7:47 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2020 at 6:15 PM Post #4

Limor's Birthday Bash!

Join the Time's Team, send your form to me, Limor or post on our thread!
Sign-Up Form
User ID:
Username:
What you want to do for the Times:
Have you had any experience with something like this before?:
Any extras:

Have a birthday next month? Want a happy birthday message on the Times? DM Limor for more info!

Edited By Limor on 5/5/2020 at 6:08 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2020 at 6:15 PM Post #5

Written by Mossflight2 and Sadie, edited by Limor

Q: Whats your favourite species of Sylesti?
A: I think that all of them are equally awesome, but I like Luporas and Zolnixies.

Q: What are your thoughts on the economy here?
A: Well, I think that, as long as people get educated, the economy will be fine. In my own opinion, it would be better for people to not price pets at 1-10 gold, but if other people nicely suggest for them to not do that, and explain how everything works, I think that everything will work out. If people are selling pets so cheaply, just to earn some quick gold, perhaps others can inform them of ways to make gold. With some teamwork and collaboration, I think that the economy will thrive just fine!

Written by Lpsfitkit, Edited by Anade

Welcome to Quaranthings, a temporary column for people to talk about how the quarantine is going for them! Have any stories you'd like to tell? Just PM me and please let me know if you'd like to stay anonymous!

"So we have online school. I did NOT feel like getting dressed so I could look presentable for a ZOOM call. So I just said my internet was being really bad (which it was, but not THAT bad) and did my work without the call. I then, at the last break before last period, decided to join and say bye to all my classmates (because it was the last day before school holidays) and so I joined. Turns out I may have had a few too many things open on my laptop and it took over half an hour to restart it. The SECOND I joined the ZOOM call, it ended. Wow."
-Penami

I feel the pain buddy, my internet and ZOOM haven't been great pals either. I hope school is better for everyone else though.

"So my family and I are in quarantine because of the pandemic. After three days, everyone is going stir crazy and two of my relatives had cabin fever and were looking for a project to do. My mom suggests retiling her bathroom. They find out there are all sorts of problems with it when they go to remove the tiles. To make a very long story short, they were cutting the floor apart and somehow managed to get concrete to knock down a light fixture and onto a bed that has an old family blanket on it, among various other things which are now ruined. Unfortunately, that's not even the worst of it. They are working on cutting the tile and mixing the grout and cement outside. The weather, being rainy as usual, decides to rain on them, forcing them to stop for the day after causing cement issues, three more broken tiles, and a furious builder. The worst part is the noise in the house because of the power tools and the other issues which will be going on for the next week. So yeah for the next two weeks they will be tearing apart the floor while driving my mother and me crazy. I hope this quarantine ends soon."
-Anon

I followed up with the person who submitted this story and they said that, thankfully, construction is over!

"Well I've been using this time in Quarantine to catch up on writing my stories and also to work out and do homework. Wish I had an exciting story for the paper though"
-Harajuko

Nothing's boring during this time to be honest. It's great that you're pursuing your hobbies and using this time for improvement!

"Story time!
So day I lost count (like 2 weeks ago) of quarantine, me and my sister were at war, outside. I watch My Hero Academia so naturally I was the more extreme one. I took both the hoses and turned on Jet mode. My sister was standing like a creepy...thing? Uh anyways, I spray her and I am yelling random stuff. One of her friends that she doesn't wanna admit is her friend, his brother, and his mom walk by. They watch us for a moment and keep walking. I was like Bakugo and she, a child. I was like HAHAHA I will be the number 1 hero! Hehe. And we live in a little house at an intersection. So cars on all sides of the intersection were staring in horror as I blast a small child with two garden hoses. At least it wasn't a busy time of the day, so less people saw me in their nightmares! Good for them!

That is all thank you for listening."
-Wolfpack2018

This one reminded me of my sister and I! It really cracked me up.

"I went outside today...it was terrifying."
-Duckbunny427

This one was my favorite, hands down. I mean, outdoors? People? Sheesh!

So that's all for this edition of Quaranthings! Hopefully this column won't last long as this quarantine will hopefully lift soon. Stay safe everybody!
Edited By Limor on 5/1/2020 at 8:02 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2020 at 6:15 PM Post #6

Written by Limor and Duckbunny427, Edited by Limor

Hello! So today i'm going to feature my friend CeruleanCrow's art! go commission them

CeruleanCrow

and now an interview with Winharwolf by Duckbunny!

Q and A with Winharwolf

Q: When did you start doing art?
A: I think when I was ten.

Q: Whats your favorite thing to draw?
A: People. Well, yeah people.

Q: Whats your favorite thing about doing art?
A: I like seeing how much I improved over time.

Q: Hows your drawing tablet right now?
A: Its showing me the display and when I open up the art thing and then add an image, it wont let me draw on it.

Q: Do you have any tips for new artists?
A: Start with a simple plan before you even begin to sketch. Always sketch out the body before you add any more details.

Thank you to Winharwolf for answering these questions!
Edited By Limor on 5/2/2020 at 1:42 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2020 at 6:16 PM Post #7

Written by CeruleanCrow, Edited by CeruleanCrow

Welcome Welcome all! Your local Zolnixi Reporter Faron with a very interesting scoop on the latest and greatest design competitions. Ranging from pet designs to avatar designs, well even cover art and writing contests! Any contest will do! Well now during this month of April you know that we have a lot of contests circulating and major prizes raging! So let's hear from a participant who has submitted designs for this year's Spring Festival!

A major contest this is quite so quite so! Just looking at all the wonderful designs myself gets my spirits all shaken up! So let's have the voice of opinion, Ley, take stage! Now my dear, what has you motivated joining the Design Contest to choose Official Themes for the site?

I love designing; it's one of my favorite things about Sylestia. Designing for fests is good motivation for me to actually take part in them and it's nice to have something to look forward to. Even if none of mine get picked it's always fun to see what others come up with as well.

Ah yes yes! Of course! That sounds very compelling indeed! Now onto the next question, does the prize of the free themed catch your eye at all?

I think the 2-Vis of Choice prize is a good incentive for users to carefully consider their designs for the best possible result. It's also a nice bonus for a designer, especially if they don't have much spare time to participate in a fest. I know a lot of users try to have at least one of their own designs, and of course some species are rarer than others, so it's nice to have something to show for their efforts.

I see, fantastic answer my dear! Let us proceed with the interview! What about other participants or their designs? Any that catch your eye? Some that could possibly win?

I think there's a lot of great designs up on the thread that have a chance at being chosen! There are so many great designers who've entered so that'd be quite the list, but I tend to like the color blue, or designs with good contrast and balance of colors (and work well with a species's traits). It can be hard to tell what Krin or Fai are looking for in any given fest (and I would most likely be very wrong in my guesses), so I personally never enter into design contests thinking that I'm guaranteed to be chosen. There's usually a broad spectrum of themes that're picked, but I predict there'll be some rather brightly-colored ones this time, or I at least hope there are haha~

Amazing! According to my reports there are a lot of vibrant designs that were submitted. I suppose we'll see what our faithful admins have chosen soon! Last question, do you believe that any of your own designs will be chosen?

It's a bit hard to say, but I do have hope for my Aurleon and Ferrikki. I put effort into all my designs this time, but those two I like the best, at least palette-wise. Of course, what I like about my designs isn't always what others like xD

Fantastic! I must say you have amazing skills as a designer and I wish you luck in having your designs chosen! Thank you Ley for your opinions on this year's Spring Festival Themed Design Competition! Now let's shift our sights toward a more minor contest for this month, but major nonetheless! Welcome Sandstorm514, where we interview her massive Five Year Celebration Contests! You heard me folks, she has more than one contest up and some unique prizes as well! Now then, would you mind telling us your motivations behind this contest?

For the most part, the purpose of these contests is practical (recoloring pets, getting designs for projects, naming pets, etc). I wanted to see what the creative people on Sylestia could come up with :) There are a couple of contests/activities that are just for fun though, like the Gift Exchange and the raffle (coming soon).

Amazing! Sounds like a lot of entertaining activities! Now, are there any specific prizes being awarded for any of these contests?

All of the contests have a prize of some sort and most are gold prizes. So far, the amount ranges from 30k to 200k. I'm also working on a massive raffle with avi items, pets, gold, diamond, and philter/dye/mutator prizes :)

Wow! I don't think I'd be able to afford all those prizes! I mean, I am just a reporter after all, so let's continue! Are there any participants that catch your eye? What about any of the designs?

I'm not sure if it's fair for me to indicate with designs/designers I like best so far, but generally speaking, I'm fond of designs with lots of contrast and bolder colors. Black is my favorite color and some favorite color palettes include black/red/gold, navy blue/gold, navy blue/silver, black/violet, and black/gold. Really, black plus any other color is interesting to me. The problem with black is that it's really easy to get a design that just looks like a dark blob. I've been experimenting with swapping the black out for white and the results are pretty cool too :)
(Sorry I think I went off on a tangent)

Incredible! Tangents are completely fine, were all here for the stories people share! Ok, last question, what is shaping up to be your favorite contest so far?

I'm particularly fond of my avi design contest because that's one area of designing that I'm not too great at. It's also much more time consuming than designing pets and I don't always have that kind of time. I love seeing what other people come up with because everyone has their own unique fashion sense and I get designs that I would never have come up with. :)

Yes of course! If I could design I would join up with the rest, but I suppose just being a reporter will do. Thank you so much for this interview, and I wish you, and all the participants luck in all of these amazing contests!

Well folks you've seen it for this month! Many other contests are out there and just begging for attention! Be sure to join up as many as you can, flexing those designer skills and getting on the top spot! For now, this is Faron, signing off for April's issue! See you all next month and Happy Designing!~

Faron Sprites were based on a fanganronpa sprite collection. Under the guidelines of Fair Use we are able to publish them in this free online newspaper. Thank you for your consideration.
Edited By Limor on 5/1/2020 at 8:14 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2020 at 6:16 PM Post #8

Written by Limor, edited by Letsplay

A few links to check out when making designs are:
Themed pet reference pages by Xavion
Comprehensive Guide to Themed Pets by Lavelle
Guide to Themed Pet Contests by Scathreoite

Hello all! So this designers guide I am joined by Scathreoite, who will be taking a look at themed designs. To start of this designers guide i'm going to let Scath kick it off with their short guide (and a longer guide which is linked above, please read it!)

Scathreoite's Guide to Themeds

So You Want to be a Theme Designer?

So a few years back we wrote a guide to help people with doing theme designs- these days found linked in the first post of every Theme Design Contest.
Of course, not everyone will see it, and perhaps it is a bit long-winded or convoluted, so were going to go over some main points of Theme Designing here to help people raise their chances of getting one of their designs chosen.

One mistake that can generally be seen cropping up at least once a contest is people using an image hosting site, like imgur- but doing this actually means your design cant be chosen!
In order for your design to be viable as an entry, you need to use the sylestia image url (this guide covers how to get image urls in firefox, edge, internet explorer, and safari. Post 8 of the Theme Contest Guide also covers firefox)

So, thats point 1: make sure you use the sylestia image url!

(and extra note 1: the preferable size is 250px, controlled by the &size=250 at the end of a sylesti image url- 250 fits a neat two across in a forum post, is large enough to see the image details, and isnt so large that it takes an excessive amount of time to load)

The next set of mistakes that well cover: people thinking that what they are designing both colour and traits-wise is exactly is what the result will be, and thus leaving all colour slots that cannot be seen with their selection of traits blank.
You have to remember that what you are designing is not a single pet (or a pair of pets), but a colour set that could be applied to either a wild zone theme or an exclusive theme, and thus capable of having any trait, or combination of traits.
When youre designing, you need to be constantly checking that the colours youre using work across as broad a range of genes and mutations as possible.

Thus, point 2: make sure what you are designing works with all kinds of traits (not necessarily all of them, but as many as you can)
And
Point 3: make sure not to leave any colour slots blank

(Extra note 2: What to do if you want white? If you want a colour slot to be white, its best to pick a slightly off-white colour. Pet generation by the system always has a little colour swing when it comes to themes, so its best to try to ensure a tendency towards a colour that matches the theme (nobody wants to see a snow-themed syelsti swinging yellow, do they?))

The thought that what you are designing will be exactly what you post can also lead to a person submitting a different colour set for the male and female, perhaps on the impression that they are based on the same idea and are thus the same design.
However! This is, in fact, counted as a submission of two different theme designs for a single species, which is not allowed, and will disqualify them from consideration, since, as mentioned, it is the colour set itself that is the design.

Point 4: Make sure any images you post of a theme design for a species have exactly the same colours!

(Extra note 3: An example of some of the prior points- the concept of eclectus parrot on aurleons, with a green one for the male and a blue for the female; they would be disqualified for their colour sets being different, but even if they both had the same colour set, they each were designed with only select traits in mind, and have multiple trait slots left blank, which would severely raise the chances of them being passed over as a potential selection.

So you may wonder, okay then, what traits should I use then if I cant do something specific- the answer is, you could do something specific for the design (or designs) in your post, you just have to make sure as many other traits as possible work too.
The images in your post are about presentation, about showing their aesthetic; the aim with them is to show off the colour set you made as best you can, show off how well the colours can work.
Most people go with two images of their design, one male and one female, and give one 6 visible traits and the other three; this is not a necessity- you could do two 6v, or two 3v, or a 6v and a no-vis. You could have three, two showing vis and one no-vis, (but if you plan on doing all the species you might find yourself running out of post space doing it)
Basically, any traits and any number of traits is fair game!

Point 5: You can pick any traits, and any number of traits, since theyre purely for display purposes, not part of the actual design.
--

Now back to Limor! So taking that idea for the parrot from Scath lets see what we can do to make it into an actual working designs. I will (as I have done in the past) go through the steps with you as to how I will create an electus parrot design, following our wonderfully written guide above by Scath.

Now to start off with, I personally love both but am more favorable to the female's draft. Using the idea of a dark blue base we can start to work. For me I am choosing to go with an overall bluer tones - but including some green in those first four color highlights as it is a very prominent color in the parrots.

So looking at that i'm still not happy, I think I would actually rather have a green base, more similar to the actual parrot. So let's take a look at that:

And yes I think this looks better. With this version I chose to have an orange eye colors, instead of just green and blue. Now we need to take a look at g1. For me personally in most g1's on designs I will go with a darker tone of the base colors - I do this in almost all of my designs as it allows for the g2 and g3 to build on top of it. I take my design in almost a gradient type going from darkest to lightest: g1 darkest, g2 slightly lighter, g3 usually a brighter poppy colors that is more vibrant and saturated.

Now when testing all the traits with my chosen color I have settled on #28610C as it goes well with all the g1 traits.

Now for g2 as mentioned above I am thinking about a possibly lighter green-yellow color. This will be slightly lighter then the g1 but no to saturated, as to allow for the most vibrant color to be in the runes slot. Once I found a color I liked I came out with this:

I checked that color with all traits and I think it works.

Now onto the g3. G3 for me is where I have fun. This is my vibrant pop color, for this I think I shall pull a color from the beards beak - one of those bright orange-yellows. Once again we need to check the colors with all the traits and I ended up being satisfied with this:

For the m1 I think its time to pull some more of that blue tones in. So far until now we have ignored the blues - but in this case i'm going with a slightly more sky blue.

In our m2, which is mainly traits that affect the body I plan on going with a yellow that is out of the green tones. This will compliment the body itself nicely and add another nice pop of color that reflects our bird this design is based off of.

Now for our last color slots (besides the accents, which we will get too) it is time to look at the beak/crest color slot. In this color slot I want to bring back some more of that green - though in a darker color tone then seen anywhere else in the design. This allows it to not stand out and distract too much in the design as a whole.

Now that we have that done its time to look at accents. Many species accent colors aren't implemented yet. With this species only Imperial Dragon Scales in the g2 shows a1 so I have chosen a yellow that compliments that trait.

For out a2 no traits utilize it but we still need to fill it! I ended up choosing #F0651F in the case that a2 is ever in effect for the Aurleons.

Now that we have that out of the way it is time time to test several 6v combos, after you are happy with that pick two different 6v combos and walla - we have our themed entry:
Electus Parrot Aurleon

If you want to take a shot and creating your own electus parrot aurleon ping us in the comments and we'll feature it next issue!

--

Now for another little extra treat here is a speed design by Asphodels!

Showing the making of this little lovely:
Edited By Limor on 5/1/2020 at 8:15 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2020 at 6:16 PM Post #9
Newbie Tricks and Tips
Written by Orca and Lark, Edited by Limor
(This is Orca. ><>)

(This is Lark. Yeet.)

A collab between Larkien and Orcastration

Hey, its Lark again. Orca and I are back to lecture you newbies again. This time were going to be talking about a rather important (hopefully) topic to newbies: gold. More specifically, how to earn gold and how to not lose more gold than you earn. ;)
Gold, or , as you might have seen it, is the main currency of Sylestia. And at the beginning of your days on Sylestia, its almost certainly difficult to earn any.

Pretty pet for sale? Too expensive. Want to buy a few pretty avi items? Youre too broke. And when all your pets are starving and you cant feed them well, then it just gets downright frustrating. Most people have had these struggles at some point. Thats why Orca and I, in this article, are going to help you get well not rich just yet but hopefully, less broke.

The first thing you need to learn is how not to spend all of your gold the instant you get it. After all, theres not much use learning how to get a lot of gold if you immediately spend all of it. Yes, I just came up with that logic off the top of my fiery, feathered head. But it kinda makes sense. So my first piece of advice is this:
DO NOT use the town healers. You know, the people in the town Plaza that can heal your pets fully for gold? Nope, theyre scammers preying off naive newbies. Tsk tsk, Kayani the Herbalist. I thought you were better than that.
*ahem*
Anyways, AVOID THE HEALERS AT ALL COSTS. Yes, I am talking in all caps because well, unless youre looking to get broke quick, dont go to them. What should you do instead? Well, for starters, unconscious pets auto-revive themselves after a certain amount of time (around 30 minutes, I think?), and your party pets gain health over time when not unconscious.

Now, what if youre impatient? Well, once you have missions going (see Orcas lecture below), you can get some lovely potions and elixirs, including ones that revive unconscious pets. I do not really suggest buying them from the towns, as Im pretty sure they can turn out to be just as expensive as the healers. This is one of the reasons why getting into missions earlier in-game is pretty important - and as you will learn, you dont need to be high level to do high leveled missions and pull in at least 30k gold plus some bonus health potions every day. ;)

Now here is the second way newbies lose a bunch of gold - catching wild pets. Most of the pets youll encounter early arent worth a lot. Yep, even the pretty blue star pets with a visible trait arent worth it - they probably wont sell, and even if they do, for far less than will cover your expenses to catch them.

You see, traps are expensive. Normal green traps are 1k gold each, which is pretty steep for a new player, and you might even have to use multiple traps for one pet that probably isnt worth 100 gold. Then there are the rare traps, which are blue and 2.5k gold each. Capable of catching one-vis trait or two-carried Sylesties (yeah, well explain these terms in a later issue if you dont already know what they mean), which still are barely worth more than the pets you catch with the green traps, but the traps cost at least 250% more. So frankly, catching wild pets is just not worth it.

Another issue with this is stable space. Filling up your stable with wild pets usually isnt a good idea. Before long, youll have filled your starting 25 pet stalls and will either be forced to buy another tab (an expense you dont want to stress about) or youll have pets in your hatchery automatically released.

In a past issue, we talked about how you can introduce yourself and get a lot of free pets :D However, I did warn you not to fill your stables up with these, either. Theyre generally going to be worth a lot more than wild pets, but if you want to keep them, youre going to have to be careful. If your stables are full, pets in your hatchery that become adults automatically get released.

And now, I guess, since youve hopefully learned what youre losing your money to, Orca shall tell you about the ways to actually get gold.

*yeets microphone from the phoenix* Thanks a lot, Lark. ><>
No! Give it back-
*stuffs Larks beak with whatever phoenixes eat* Yes, thank you Lark. ><> *ignores protests*
*insert phoenix protests*

Now, getting gold. How do you do that? Well, Larks already told you about missions (see this guide here for how to properly get some pets mission-ready), but theres other ways too. (And if youre wondering whether Im qualified to do this, I can tell you that I brought in over 400k in gold during a three-day period of our most recent site-wide fest, the Fortune Fest.) So since Ive given you the guide to missions, Im going to spill out on how I usually grab my gold.and then attempt to keep that gold. XD ><>

First things first: Festivals. As I said in the previous issue, festivals are great ways to earn gold. Now in the past, hoarding items (aka tokens mostly) would get you a pretty sum next year, but thats not really possible anymore. So we move to the next best thing: selling stuff you dont need during the festival. I can assure you that if youre diligent in grinding, you can make a nice price from all that stuff. Once you have a decent amount, head on to your inventory and broker whatever you dont want/need. Just dont broker too many items in a stack at the same time, unless its the agents--no one really wants to splurge on a giant stack of items when they only need one or two of it! Then just wait a little, check your prices, and expect to price higher near the end of the festival, when the fest zones close and no one can get more stuff except from the festival shop (where, unless you have too many tokens, its really not worth it to buy from there).

And of course theres pet selling, and if you have a nice themed you dont care for, someone is sure to want it.just remember that advanced search is your friend when it comes to pet selling! A common problem is that someone will price their themed pet too high or too low and then prices just get nuts. When in doubt, just stick your head into the forums or the region chat if you have that unlocked (or the general chat if you prefer that) and ask around for pricing advice.

Of course, I just listed the more bountiful gold grabs, but of course there are plenty of other ways that get you gold (and maybe some items) but can be much slower, such as Jinxies Jamboree, walking around in the first region and only opening the chests, grinding in the various zones, etc. Some people will even pay gold or diamonds for art. Or if you have the means to do so, a small contest can sometimes win you more than what you invest in it if planned properly.

Theres always some way to get a little extra gold here and there, and I most certainly havent listed them all, just the main ones. A little trial-and-error never hurt anyone and as long as youre not sitting around with less than a thousand for too long, its pretty hard to go wrong when making gold here on Sylestia. And dont be afraid to splurge on something nice and big once in a while, its fun showing off what you worked hard for!

Thanks for reading and feel free to PM (private message) Larkien or I with any questions you want answered. We may or may not publish them but well most definitely send you back an answer. :) ~Orca ><>

Written by Orcastration, Edited by Anade
Hi there, yall! Its Orca, back once again with the Themed Pet Showcase. As you can probably tell, my semi-hiatus/retirement from the Times backfired, and you've probably seen I've been doing the Newbie Tips and Tricks--helpful for even non-newbies, might Ii add. :)

Anyways, I completely forgot that the Easter festival does indeed come with themed pets and thus, I walked (swam?) into Region Chat and asked around for anyone who designed themes in the past, because...well, why not? And lo and behold, one space elf appeared! So this issue, let me welcome the one and only...SpaceElf1, also known as Spelf!

Me: So, what theme(s) did you create?

Spelf: I designed the Macabre Puffadore and the Forest Wanderer Draeyl. Both were selected as Themes for the 2017 Fall Festival. I've never had a Theme design accepted before or since.

Me: What was your inspiration for your Themes?

Spelf: My inspiration for the Macabre Puff began with the desire to use something unique for basing the Theme. Autumn leaves, pumpkins, etc., are great, but I wanted to be different. So I spent some time making a list of things that are autumn-y but haven't been used to inspire a Theme. One item on the list was "the first fire in the fireplace." But that would just be, well, a fire. Bonfires, etc., already seemed to be popular Fall Theme inspirations. Well, to have the first fire of fall in your fireplace, you have to clean out the chimney. Soot and ash didn't seem very inspiring, but then I thought of chimney sweeps! If you're smart, you get a professional to clean out the chimney in fall. So I picked colors from images of old-fashioned, Victorian-type chimney sweeps and arranged the colors on a Puffadore. (Puffadores are the smallest Sylesties; they could fit down any chimney.) Voila! The Chimney Sweep Puffadore . . . which the admins chose for a Theme and renamed "Macabre." I have no idea why.

Me: Did you have an idea of what you wanted them to look like beforehand?

Spelf: I didn't have the slightest idea what I wanted the Theme to look like at the beginning. The sequence went Inspiration - Color Palette - Arrangement of Colors.

Me: How hard was it to create your Theme?

Spelf: Creating the Theme was not that difficult once I found a good inspiration. That took a while.

Me: Did you expect your Themes to be chosen?

Spelf: I absolutely did not expect to have a Theme of mine chosen, let alone two for the same Festival! I had been submitting ideas for Themes for such a long time that, by the time I submitted Themes for the 2017 Fall Festival, I was pretty much just coming up with Themed for the fun of it.

Me: Any advice for people planning on making themed pets?

Spelf: Advice for people trying to create Themes: Don't submit a Theme for a species you don't collect! I don't collect Draeyls, but I currently own sixteen Kaiju Costume Draeyls regardless (renamed Forest Wanderer Drayels--the admins just don't like the names I come up with).

Thanks, Spelf!

Now, as you all have probably heard, we have three new Aeridini themes, the Dawnbreakers, the Frostwalkers, and the Mistwardens! As said in the Festival Overview,

The Dawnbreakers and the Frostkeepers are two very special clans of Aeridini who have an everlasting struggle over the ending of winter and the coming of spring. Each year, as the weather begins to turn warmer, the Dawnbreakers come out in force in an attempt to hasten the coming of spring; whereas the Frostkeepers come out in force in an attempt to keep winter's icy grasp on the realm for as long as they can achieve. During this time, the two clans have fierce territorial clashes and struggles over the rightful claim of the season until the weather turns too warm for the Frostkeepers to bear.

Lady Alundriel of the Dawnbreakers

Lady Alundriel, leader of the Dawnbreakers clan, wants nothing but peace and prosperity for her fellow Aeridini. She believes that the sooner the spring season can begin, the more that all beings of Sylestia can flourish. For a world in permanent cold and darkness would not have enough life to sustain its inhabitants for long. She has sought peace and compromise with the Frostkeepers for generations, but to no avail.

Overlord Hammerfrost of the Frostkeepers

Overlord Hammerfrost, leader of the Frostkeepers clan, decries the responsibility befallen upon each and every Aeridini and has made it his life's goal to bring about winter's cruel and harsh environment, permanently, throughout all the lands. He will only reach true satisfaction when every Aeridini is released from their burden of birthright to pollinate the world's flora each and every year.

Together, the two clans struggle annually this time of year. The Dawnbreakers attempt to call upon Faerina and Vaeluna to bring about light and growth throughout the realms; while the Frostkeepers attempt to call upon Raith and Wruen to lash the land with cold, wet, and wind. It is long rumored that the unification of the two clans would bring about a very special and unique fruition of mythical proportions. Perhaps you can seek to bring about peace between the two clans through an eternal bond of love and nurture.

Now the third Aeri themed, the Mistwardens, are actually found in a very special way: breeding a tagged Frostkeeper and Dawnbreak! In addition, each Dawnbreaker and Frostwalker comes with a special name, which Ive made a list of here/.

Id love to congratulate the designers of these themes as well. The designer of the Dawnbreaker wished to stay anonymously under their rock, per request, but you know who you are, so I need not mention your name :) The designer of the Frostkeeper is unkown, and the designer of the much-theorized-and-speculated Mistwarden wishes remain unknown. A big congrats to all three players!

Anyways, if you have a themed pet you want showcased, a Themed you want to have spotlighted, or someone who designed/designs Themes to have a guest interview, let me know! Im open to any and all ideas! Bye for now! ~Orca ><>

Edited By Limor on 5/3/2020 at 1:17 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 5/1/2020 at 6:16 PM Post #10

Written by Lpskitfit, Edited by Anade
Hello! This is the first club spotlight for Sylestia Times 2.0! In this issue, I had the pleasure of interviewing one of the players in charge of one of Sylestia's most controversial clubs. I asked Penami to answer a few questions for me about her club, as well as to give a brief history of the club and the club's purpose! She was a delight to work with and I'd definitely recommend at least giving her club a peep! Without further ado, here's what Penami had to say:

"The Releasers of Sylestia was a guild first created by Ebonyflicker, and was created as a guild to help the economy of Sylestia resurrect.

The guild went out of date and was re-created by Syrix in 2019. Eventually, Syrix took a hiatus, and so with her permission, I created the new Releasers guild. When the original guild was first created, there was a lot of hate coming from people who didn't want their pets to be released.
When the guild went inactive, I knew I wanted to keep it going, so I created it again. When people ask us about the guild, I tell them about why we do it, what would happen if we didn't and how important it is, especially with the growing player population.

What we do is, in our own time, go to Advanced Search and buy up lots and lots of cheap pets. If we like them, we keep them, but most of the time we release them. Some days we can get the minimum up to 100 gold, but usually it stays around 10 gold. It's really tricky for people to get the bar high. We accept anyone who wants to join our guild. There's one limitation, and that is that you have to have at least 50 pets released - not too hard.

When people oppose our club, I tell them 'We can add you to the immunity board - many people recognise this and will not release from you. However, we have free will, so we can release from you if we want. If you want to say something bad, keep it to yourself. The higher you price your pets, the less likely we are to release from you.'

Or something along the lines of that.

Overall, the RoS is a club that has one goal - to help Sylestia and it's economy flourish!
-Penami"

Written by Limor, edited by Limor

1. So how did you find our little community?
my friend Aspenanimations actually showed me the game, i was super excited to try it out.

2. So have you made your Starter? How they look? Any inspiration behind them?
yes, I have her name is snow song i tried to base her off an oc, doesnt look much like her though.

3. So you joined today (only in the last 21 hours at the time of me sending this interview), what do you think so far?
haha, i really like it so far the battles remind me of Pokemon. Big smile

4. Have you found or done anything exciting yet?

i found some really cool forum games, and giveaways, haven won any but it's fun to try Tongue

5. Do you think you'll stick around? (from what little you've seen of the site so far haha)
absolutely, playing games with my friend and all the amazing new friends I've found here, i love this game.

6. You have questions for the Times? We always love to help~
yeah actually, how do i join the pet design contests?

(That last question was answered in DMs!)

Chasim
https://www.sylestia.com/view/users/?userid=142241
Edited By Limor on 5/1/2020 at 8:28 PM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3
This Page loaded in 0.015 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.