Forum Index > Groups, Guilds, Clubs, and Services > ~Design Theft Opposition~
Page 3 1, 2, 3, 4... 10, 11, 12 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Silverkitsu
Level 75
Crystalline Cleaver
Threads: 143
Posted: 10/2/2017 at 2:56 PM Post #21
On the subject of the 'public' option on the generator, I was thinking it would be great if there was an option that stopped people from copying the image address and opening it in the generator. If there was a kind of setting when you save the design that meant it would appear the same to others, but wouldn't have the option to load to generator and it could only be publicly viewed as a static picture with an image address that can't be loaded into the generator, like image addresses from other parts of sylestia (eg. avatar images). If you try loading the image address of your avatar into the generator you'll find that it tells you:
Invalid URL. URL must begin with www.sylestia.com/image_builder_pet.php.
if these static pet images started with something like (it would probably need other modifications otherwise it would be easy for design thieves to change it back):
www.sylestia.com/image_viewer_pet.php.
then nobody could directly copy the exact image from the generator in any way.

I think we should try and figure out the best way to help avoid theft in the generator as a club so that if someone puts up an official suggestion it can be what a group of us think would be the best possible solution and/or include a brainstorm of alternate ideas. I think Ivycat's general idea of awareness that public designs aren't always for public use being implemented into the generator itself is also important, but there are some people who wouldn't read the messages or copy designs anyway.
Shardial
Level 70
The Perfectionist
Threads: 62
Posted: 10/2/2017 at 4:12 PM Post #22
Yes, I agree. That would definitely cut down the amount of design theft that happens. Of course, I believe Krin has said that most changes will be made after the revamp, so it'll probably be some time before we can make an impact on generator-based design theft. That said, however, I for sure believe that finding solutions for this kind of design theft would be a primary goal of this club.
Articu
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 146
Posted: 10/2/2017 at 4:44 PM Post #23
ID: 58248
1.) Have you been a victim of design theft?
Yes.

2.) Have you participated in design theft?
Never!

3.) Have you first-hand witnessed design theft?
Yes.

4.) Have you dealt with design theft that you were not a victim of (i.e. told the designer, politely asked the thief to stop, etc.)?
I've notified other players that some of their designs were stolen, yes.

5.) What are your feelings and opinions about design theft?
I strongly dislike it. Other players and I are aware that it is a public generator, but just because it is posted on there doesn't give others the right to use(steal) it without permission. I know it's happened to me a couple times, and others a great many. I'd simply like to be able to breed my customs and sell the offspring without having to worry about whether other players are going to purchase one, make a copy of it, then claim the design as their own. I don't even breed my customs anymore, for fear that it will happen again.
Shardial
Level 70
The Perfectionist
Posted: 10/2/2017 at 4:54 PM Post #24
Accepted, thanks for joining and welcome to the Opposition!
Shardial
Level 70
The Perfectionist
Posted: 10/2/2017 at 5:06 PM Post #25
Everyone, since this club is new and still under progress, I'd appreciate it if you guys pinged me with suggestions of rules, reminders, levels of design theft, goals, and anything else you'd like to see added! Thanks!
Articu
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 146
Posted: 10/2/2017 at 5:30 PM Post #26
It's really too bad we can't add a watermark of some sort. I, as an artist (traditional, thank you), find it pretty useful when we can add that sort of thing (even though it gets in the way sometimes). Ooo, maybe even prevent right-clicking on generator/pet images... that might be useful, if it could be implemented. And figured out.

Maybe on the "Levels of Design Theft" section, you could say that generating someone else's design without permission, creating a pair, and selling the offspring as their own design is called "Theft of the Worst/Highest *insert word because I can't think of anything that doesn't sound weird*" or something like that.

P.S. I am so sorry, I can be very dramatic and I'm not at all good at saying what I want to say.
Silverkitsu
Level 75
Crystalline Cleaver
Threads: 143
Posted: 10/3/2017 at 2:29 AM Post #27
I gave a suggestion of how you could stop designs in the generator from being right clicked at the top of page 3 if you haven't read it and are interested. I agree that taking someone's design from the public generator, making it, and selling it as your own is one of the worst levels of design theft, but I think using someone's design from their breeding project or sales thread is worse because the consequence for the designer is more certainly them losing sales.
Sakura
Level 75
Majestic Sculptor
Threads: 77
Posted: 10/3/2017 at 4:43 AM Post #28
1. Have you been a victim of design theft? No
2. Have you participated in design theft? No
3. Have you first-hand witnessed design theft? No
4. Have you dealt with design theft that you were not a victim of (i.e. told the designer, politely asked the thief to stop, etc.)? No
5. What are your feelings and opinions about design theft? I feel bad for those who have put so many efforts into their artwork, and another person steals it and takes all the credit, it's disrespectful, and unfair.

FIrstly, what is a victim, and what does first-hand witness design mean?
Edited By 24harlek on 10/3/2017 at 4:45 AM.
Shardial
Level 70
The Perfectionist
Posted: 10/3/2017 at 1:55 PM Post #29
Could you please add your ID and then resubmit your application? And a victim is a designer who created a design and then someone else stole their design (i.e. re-uploaded their design onto the generator, regenned their project, created a breeding project of the design, entered it into a contest, etc. without the designer's explicit permission). When I ask 'Have you first-hand witnessed design theft', I'm asking if you've ever seen a stolen design somewhere, or if you've seen someone confront someone else about design theft, etc. Let me know if you'd like me to clarify further, and please ping me with your edited application!
Shardial
Level 70
The Perfectionist
Posted: 10/3/2017 at 2:00 PM Post #30
Yeah, a watermark would help, but I'm not sure if that is a feasible option, as it might be hard to code. I really like the idea of prevention of right-clicking and then copying the images (Wavy had a similar idea to that also in an earlier post), but again, I feel like it could be hard to code (though I have very limited experience with coding, so there's a good chance of me being wrong).

And yeah, that's a good idea, I'll add it right now! And there's nothing to be sorry for, what you said seemed good to me! Thanks for the ideas and input!
Edited By Shardial on 10/3/2017 at 2:03 PM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4... 10, 11, 12
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.