Players 2,422 378
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,239,928 1,189
Generated 656,151 22
Captured 1,190,346 61
Bred 6,393,337 1,106
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Off-Topic Discussion > I guess this is vaguely related to Syles...
Page 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Jemadar
Level 74
Grand Protector
Threads: 25
Posted: 10/1/2021 at 11:24 AM Post #41
Yeah, I tend to prefer cats, because I bond well with cats (my cats tend to almost act more like dogs, than cats) and I like cuddling, so things, like snakes, that I can't really 'cuddle' with (I know you can, but...) are things I would never have. But I would at least make sure that the animals had a vet that could take care of them, and that I at least tried to make their life 'comfortable'.

But yeah, many copy/paste things and so called 'inspirational' things tend to look good on the surface, which most people tend to *stop* looking past, but beneath that surface, they can be ultimately bad. Which leads people to perpetuating these 'bad' things without even realizing it.
Awkwardmollusk
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 91
Posted: 10/13/2021 at 11:23 AM Post #42
Okay, awkward confession time. I used to be the person with that on their profile. Not gonna be defensive, but I think I can provide some different insight.

As somebody who used to have that exact same copy-paste thing on my profile, still has other copy-paste things on their profile, and hasn't touched their profile in yEARS
OhGeezIt'sSoCringeyiShouldProbablyFixThat--

... Ahem.

Anyway. To my knowledge, a lot of people who put those on their profile are, in fact, pretty young. I think I was 12-14 when I had that particular copy-paste on my profile. While I'm certainly not (and never was) keen on coaxing people off of buildings (regardless of their terrible tastes in music), I think it's important to realize that for younger people, that dark kind of humor is (or at least was, when that particular copy-paste thing was really going around) considered "cool". I seriously doubt that most young people with that on their profile wouldn't do everything in their power to prevent a Justin Beiber fan from doing something like that.

Does that make that kind of humor okay by the standards of a "woke" 2021? No. But some kids simply don't understand that the things they can joke about on the blacktop don't exactly translate as well over the internet. I don't think most of them have any ill intent, they're just trying to be cool and funny. Once they realize that these kinds of copy-pastes aren't either of those things and see them for the cringy, potentially harmful things that they are, they will be SWIFT to delete them from their profiles.
Willekieker
Level 74
Trickster
Threads: 46
Posted: 10/14/2021 at 9:01 PM Post #43
fair. I used to have some of those things, including the bieber one. I was very, very young, but that still doesn't excuse it.
I *love* dark humor, and let me tell you, that's not it. that's just straight up toxicity and hatefulness.
Jemadar
Level 74
Grand Protector
Threads: 25
Posted: 10/18/2021 at 5:18 PM Post #44
I think one thing that people, and this isn't just 'young' people need to learn (this with regard to 'dark humor'bit of your post):

There is a time or place for everything. 'Dark Humor' is fine, I sometimes do it myself, but only with other people I know also like it. This isn't an 'internet' vs 'blacktop' issue either, but just in general.

Sharing something with people you know have the same type of humor as yourself is great, and can be fun. However, I have seen too many people (and yeah, a lot of it IS younger people), will try to make a 'joke' on a forum or somewhere, then when people get upset, they start going on about how it was 'just a joke'. Because they are making a 'joke' that reaches a too wide audience.

Basically, before making a joke, or using a meme, know your audience :P I know that I tend to joke about completely different things depending on how well I know who I am joking to, how comfortable I am with the people, and who can see said jokes. Things I would say to my brothers I would never say on one of the game sites (not so much because they are inappropriate, but just not the type of things that everyone would necessarily get), and some of the things I say on game sites I wouldn't say to my brothers :P

But I also think that the bit about 'peer pressure' and younger people doing it to be 'cool' is also really important to note as well, and sadly there isn't much that can really be done to counter it except either wait for them to grow out of that phase, or gently remind them that certain things are not okay (such as things that involve the death of real life people etc.)
Sugarrxoxo
Level 60
Threads: 12
Posted: 10/19/2021 at 2:26 PM Post #45
Agreed! I used to have a copypasta. Here it is. Trigger words are censored. Highlight the text if you wish to see them.

This is a story about God. Read if you believe in him, and read even if you don't.

A teenage girl about 17 named Diane had gone to visit some friends one evening and time passed quickly as each shared their various experiences of the past year. She ended up staying longer than planned, and had to walk home alone. She wasn't afraid because it was a small town and she lived only a few blocks away.

As she walked along under the tall elm trees, Diane asked God to keep her safe from harm and danger. When she reached the alley, which was a short cut to her house, she decided to take it. However, halfway down the alley she noticed a man standing at the end as though he were waiting for her. She became uneasy and began to pray, asking for God's protection. Instantly a comforting feeling of quietness and security wrapped round her, she felt as though someone was walking with her. When she reached the end of the alley, she walked right past the man and arrived home safely.

The following day, she read in the newspaper that a young girl had been raped in the same alley just twenty minutes after she had been there. Feeling overwhelmed by this tragedy and the fact that it could have been her, she began to weep. Thanking the Lord for her safety and to help this young woman, she decided to go to the police station. She felt she could recognize the man, so she told them her story. The police asked her if she would be willing to look at a lineup to see if she could identify him. She agreed and immediately pointed out the man she had seen in the alley the night before. When the man was told he had been identified, he immediately broke down and confessed. The officer thanked Diane for her bravery and asked if there was anything they could do for her. She asked if they would ask the man one question. Diane was curious as to why he had not attacked her. When the policeman asked him, he answered, "Because she wasn't alone. She had two tall men walking on either side of her." Amazingly, whether you believe or not, you're never alone. Did you know that 98% of teenagers will not stand up for God, and 93% of the people that read this wont repost it?

If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this; because in the Bible, Jesus says that if you deny me, then I shall deny you before my Father in the gates of Heaven.

98% OF TEENS WON'T STAND UP FOR GOD...

REPOST THIS IF YOU'RE ONE OF THE 2% WHO WILL.

The end bothers me. Basically saying that if you don't repost Jesus will deny your entrance to Heaven. This is not right. Basically testing whether or not your a "true" Christiain. This is just horrible
Edited By Sugarrxoxo on 10/19/2021 at 2:29 PM.
Snowdrop
Level 75
Brosilla's Minion
Threads: 54
Posted: 11/25/2021 at 5:37 PM Post #46
I definitely agree with you. However, I don't think every copy and paste is bad. Most of them are, but I think a few are okay, like this one:

We could never have a solution if there's no problem. We would never learn if we never failed. We would never progress if we never had any bumpy roads. We would never win if we never lost. Life is hard, but our experiences help us to grow. Look at the bright side.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this one, but others are definitely toxic.
Cian
Level 75
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 140
Posted: 11/25/2021 at 11:30 PM Post #47
This is not a copypaste, it's more like a quote / positive message from somwhere that spreaded naturaly. The difference with copypastes is that what you are showing does not try to imply (or sometime flat out say) via peer pressures / belives / emotional biais that you HAVE to do what the texte is telling you to do, otherwhise you are a bad person and you suport *insert somthing howfull here* / so you can feel special for somthing all humans can do (in the case of the "you can read messed up writing" ones) .
Willekieker
Level 74
Trickster
Threads: 46
Posted: 11/26/2021 at 9:33 AM Post #48
That is a good one ^ ^ Maybe the first actually innocent one I've ever seen.
The only thing I don't like is the "look on the bright side" bit. It's the most basic response to someone who's struggling, and it very clearly shows that whoever's saying it has no idea what you're going through and just wants you to stop complaining :/

I understand that not everyone will means this, some people mean well and just don't know how to handle a person in turmoil.

That's just my opinion though :> as a naturally pessimistic person, being told to "look on the bright side" has always done more harm than good. While I doubt it's ever actually helped anyone to be told this, I really can't speak for everyone ^ ^'

As for what Cian said; the ones that peer pressure you into sharing are the ones I fell for the most back when I was but a wee babe. I think another one I should bring up is the chain mail that asks you to resend to five other people, and if you get all five back you're cool. Then you don't get any back, and you feel uncool. I don't think I ever did these, they're still pretty rampant among platforms intended for kids. While the content of the chain mail isn't bad in itself, it's still spammy and annoying.

I always had a hard time believing the ones that try to make you feel special were actually that difficult. Like, yeah. Sure, I'm in the 5% of people that can read this. Me, and everyone else, ever. I honestly don't know where this statistic even came from. They state in the copypasta that your brain fills in the blanks automatically, that it's a normal human function- and then go on to say that you're special for it?

While it's harmless enough, harmless misinformation is still misinformation. Clearly we can't convince everyone to stop using these, but maybe enough people will get tired of them and they'll stop spreading :P
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.