Players 2,440 389
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,234,189 1,275
Generated 655,955 49
Captured 1,189,822 102
Bred 6,388,320 1,124
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Off-Topic Discussion > I guess this is vaguely related to Syles...
Page 1 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Willekieker
Level 74
Trickster
Threads: 46
Posted: 6/13/2021 at 10:29 AM Post #1
I keep seeing this about me trend that's really toxic and horrible.

I'm not going to say any names but I've seen it pretty frequently and not only on this site- basically anywhere that has an AM section.

Anyway, it's the one that's like 89% of girls would cry if Justin Bieber prepared to jump off the empire state building, repost if you're the 11% that would grab some popcorn and say "do a backflip."

I don't intend to come off as a fangirl, I never particularly cared for Bieber (his new album is pretty dope tho), but idk that sort of thing is just really nasty and doesn't sit right with me, you know? Maybe I'm overreacting but it kinda spoils my mood whenever I see it.

Like, who would really egg someone on to end their own life?

Ping me if you agree that people should stop saying this sort of stuff.

I think I sound like a facebook grandma and now I'm debating whether or not it was a good idea to even bring this up :/
Morgrem
Level 31
Threads: 1
Posted: 6/15/2021 at 10:24 AM Post #2
Dang, that Bieber thing is still going around? I thought it petered out years ago.

Anyway yeah, encouraging people to off themselves is pretty scummy. I just ignore those profile copypaste stuff for the most part.
Danithegoat
Level 72
The Sweet Tooth
Threads: 45
Posted: 6/15/2021 at 6:23 PM Post #3
Yeah, I've seen a ton of toxic and inappropriate copy and paste memes including that one. Just a quick message: If the fact that I don't like spammy blocks of jarring looking text will make you upset, then please don't read this, as it will only hurt your feelings.

Copy and paste memes are basically spam. It is cringy to me and it doesn't make you look cool or special. It just fills your profile with useless text that wastes my time reading and takes up space that you could use to advertise sales or something. A lot of them are toxic and provide false information.

The following one I've whited out the words as a trigger warning, only highlight them if you're alright with reading triggering stuff.

The girl you just called fat, she's overdosing on diet pills.
The girl you just called ugly, she spends hours putting makeup on.
The boy you just tripped, he is abused enough at home.
That guy you just made fun of for crying, his mother is dying.
The girl you just called a ****** for being pregnant, she was raped.
See that boy you made fun of for reading a book? Last night his best friend committed suicide.
See that old man you made fun of cause of the ugly scars? He fought for our country.
See that girl you just said walks funny? She has a physical disability.
See the boy you just called a freak? He was born with a medical condition.
Put this on your profile if you're against bullying. I bet 97% of you won't.

I have several points I want to make about this, starting with the ending line. There is a form of bullying called peer pressure, where someone says something like "everyone's doing this" or "I bet you won't do this too". Saying "I bet 97% of you won't" is a form of peer pressure, which is a form of bullying. Really ironic.

Second, these things in the 'meme' are incredibly triggering, especially for someone like me, who's gone (and still going) through a lot of heavy stuff. Even the word suicide is triggering to me, as I've personally dealt with that sort of thing. (I'm doing much better now)

Another one I have a problem with is:
You see a teen putting a kitten into an oven that's burning hot.
95% of people would yell "QUIT IT!"
4% of people Would say "Bake, bake!" (Idiots)
1% of people would push everyone out of the way and grab the kitten and call 911 and have the teen arrested, and then take the kitten straight to the vet. Put this on your page if you are part of that 1%.

Like, that's also peer pressure, which isn't okay. It's being normalized, and so is animal abuse. It's not okay to be putting this sort of stuff on profiles, especially public ones.

I have issues with a lot of copy and paste memes, especially ones that promote violence, have triggering content or issue false information.

The following is factually incorrect. I've looked into this and actually have studied it for my book.

If you can read this if you have a strong mind: TH15 M3554G3 53RV35 T0 PR0V3 H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N D0 4M4Z1NG TH1NG5! 1MPR3551V3 TH1NG5! 1N TH3 B3G1NN1NG 1T W45 H4RD BUT N0W, 0N TH15 L1N3 Y0UR M1ND 1S R34D1NG 1T 4UT0M4T1C4LLY W1TH 0UT 3V3N TH1NK1NG 4B0UT 1T, B3 PR0UD! 0NLY C3RT41N P30PL3 C4N R34D TH15. R3P05T 1F Y0U C4N.

It's literally a normal human function. Our brains naturally are able to read stuff like that, so basically everyone can read the post. It's not special, or rare at all. It's the same as our brains being able to see faces in objects, or being able to make out shapes in clouds.

And finally, there's the "DON'T READ THIS OR YOU'LL BE KISSED ON FRIDAY BY YOUR CRUSH" sort of thing. That doesn't work. It never will. Magic. Does. Not. Exist. If you think this works, then you probably still believe in Santa. It's annoying, and utter spam. Life isn't some fantasy romance movie where everything works out. Statistically, people who have crushes during their childhood, will most likely never end up with their crush. It just doesn't happen. And even if it does, most relationships in youth are destined to fail.

Anywho, sorry for this long rant. I absolutely hate copy and paste memes with a passion.
Hiraeth
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Threads: 187
Posted: 6/15/2021 at 6:35 PM Post #4
You said it better than I ever could have lol. Copy-pastes are just horrible and come (in my opinion) from a very immature mindset. Most of them are also quite dated and, like you said, contain content that may be upsetting or could trigger some individuals. Not to mention, most of them are grossly statistically inaccurate and exaggerated. As a stats groupie, it hurts to see lol.

All in all, I don't think spammy stuff like that belongs on Sylestia profiles. It takes up space for ads, forum links, and things that actually are 'about you' as the box says. x)

I enjoy reading long rants.
Danithegoat
Level 72
The Sweet Tooth
Threads: 45
Posted: 6/15/2021 at 6:36 PM Post #5
Aww thanks! I honestly thought I was alone in a pack of wolves :')
Xedite
Level 71
The Perfectionist
Threads: 54
Posted: 6/15/2021 at 9:51 PM Post #6
I'll definitely agree these things are spammy and generally a waste of time (and ancient relics of the internet at that, whew)
I'm surprised to see them so rampant here of all places and generally don't feel like they have a place/should be considered as spam on site.
Edited By Xedite on 6/15/2021 at 9:52 PM.
Kittyauthor
Level 75
Trickster
Threads: 74
Posted: 6/16/2021 at 8:55 AM Post #7
Ugh, yeah. I hate those copypastas. I used to have those on my profile and I realized that, hey, they're annoying and I'm probably just increasing the movement of these things.

There's this friend vs. Best friend one that encourages bullying (kinda), I think? Or, at the very least, encourages fighting because it said that a friend would comfort you after someone hurt you but a bf would fight the person who hurt you or knock them down and it's just makes me go uuuhhh.

It's okay to have personal ads and reminders on profiles, though (for example, I have a couple of overtranslated songs because I'm scared that I'll lose them because my memory is bad, but they aren't CPs because I'm not asking people to copy and paste them, if that makes sense?). Copypastas are not ads or reminders.

So, yeah, CPs are bad and should count as not only spam, but chainmail which is against the ToS (at least in PM/forum form, which some AMs break by being on the forum):

You may not spam in any form on the Site. This can include posting excessively over the same topic, excessive thread bumping on the forums, excessive use of emoticons, excessive pinging of users on the forums, or sending mass unsolicited private messages, such as chain letters. You may only bump a thread if it is no longer on the first page of its forum.
Willekieker
Level 74
Trickster
Posted: 6/28/2021 at 5:54 PM Post #8
gosh, i didn't expect anyone to really see this lol

i'm glad i'm not alone in this, yeah, i even used to have some of these on my am (none of the super toxic ones) but i removed them a while back because yeah, they're unnecessary and pretty annoying. never mind the fact that they have nothing to do with you in particular, therefore have no place in an about me :')
Willekieker
Level 74
Trickster
Posted: 6/28/2021 at 5:55 PM Post #9
dang i didn't realize they're technically chainmail but yeah i guess so lol
Willekieker
Level 74
Trickster
Posted: 6/28/2021 at 5:57 PM Post #10
yeah i'm surprised that it's still a thing especially as he's altered his brand a considerable amount.

seems like hate trains just continue forever ig.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
This Page loaded in 0.010 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.