Page 4 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Larkian
Level 75
The Tactician
Threads: 104
Posted: 10/1/2019 at 9:37 PM Post #31
And to add on to you other two.
I get that at first maybe breeding a ton of nice pets is great. They do look cool and all.
But 6-vis should be difficult to get. It takes work to get a 6-vis you're proud of. Your time is worth something. Your effort is worth something. Why should it be able to be effortlessly and cheaply duplicated by anyone who just wants a copy of your hard work? It's practically plagiarism, but not illegal.
The problem is, it's complicated finding a system that works. Restrictions could make projects even more difficult than they already are. But with basically no restrictions, this is what happens.
These days, it's just so difficult to find or make rare pets. That's part of the point of the game. To feel accomplished when you make something worth selling, or when you finally buy something rare. If I sold my projects, they'd be infertile or at the very least, a high price. But I can't make other people do the same. I hope I never see the day when max stats are sold for less than 100k gold because people decided to mass breed them. I'm honestly glad they're so difficult to get, at least for now.
Having a ton of worthless no-vis caught pets is not the problem. Having a bunch of beautiful 6-vis painstakingly bred being made basically worthless is.
... I hope you understand.
Edited By Canawlia on 10/1/2019 at 9:42 PM.
Aizar
Level 70
Warden of Umbra
Threads: 35
Posted: 10/1/2019 at 11:41 PM Post #32
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=81334&page=3#21
Author: Vin
Time Posted: 10/1/2019 at 3:59 PM
I've been thinking and what is needed is not to make it harder to get pets but to make having them more desirable and releasing them more socially acceptable. it's easy to feel like you're punishing the pet for not being good enough by sending it away. there are other games where it's different and that way people know the pet is in a better place. Or if you get something in return.

like if you take a pet to the Special Happy Retirement Home or something it sounds better than just sending it into the wild to fend for itself. and maybe you could get points for releasing to spend on special items like outfits or exclusive philters like with the recent event but all the time. and you could add new items for festivals and stuff so it won't be just a one-time get all the prizes then go back to overbreeding.

But I think restricting breeding is the wrong direction to go. incentivize releasing if you want to get pets out of the economy, or allow breeders to create custom theme tags for their projects with essences (maybe green tag?) so they have value beyond just the color. and that could be a gold sink too, the Writ of This Is A Theme Now or whatever, because I know krin wants more gold sinks.

I really like the green tag idea!
Venti
Level 70
The Perfectionist
Threads: 14
Posted: 10/2/2019 at 3:55 AM Post #33
Those 'serious breeders' decided to play the game certain way. They invested a lot of time and money into it. I get that and I admire that. What I can't agree is the effort to deform the market by keeping prices artificially high and ruining the game for newcomers in the process.

Want an example? In the short time I'm here, I've noticed puffs are incredibly popular. Yes, they're supposedly 'rare', because they can't be caught in the wild. But there are many breeders who like them, and breed them. Normally the puffs would become cheap, very fashionable for a while, then the market would become oversaturated, and other pet would become 'it'. And then after a while, maybe there would be a brand new trait introduced that would make them desirable again and increase their popularity - and prices.

It's called a product life cycle.

What you're suggesting, restricting the breeding, coordinating prices, ignoring the product life cycle, because of your hurt sentiment - you're creating a market bubble.

What I'd like to see instead is more content that would justify high prices. 'Exhibitions' for personal projects, for example. PvP, where difference in stats and strategy would become really important. Or game effect of the stats - eg in a dungeon, you could only carry all the loot, if your pets could carry them, etc. Maybe something cool for 'tamed' pets too...

Yeah, I do get that it's a lot of hard work that would take a lot of time. And that it's faster, easier, and more 'profitable' for 'serious breeders' (for some time) to simply put restrictions on breeding and punish those who don't want to play their way. But the market bubble will only take you so far before it bursts.
Encryption
Level 70
Threads: 33
Posted: 10/2/2019 at 8:43 AM Post #34
look thru the posts again and fond where i said breeding should be limited. i never said restricting breeding will help. thats going to make mass breeders AND serious breeders angry before it helps anything.
id like to see something encourage releasing, not restrict breeding.
the pvp thing.. i dont think thats gonna work. the arena, tlg, is hard bc the bosses have special buffs. normal pets dont. there is very little strategy in this games fighting, so ONLY stats would effect the battle. people are going to say its unfair.
Cian
Level 75
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 140
Posted: 10/2/2019 at 10:10 AM Post #35
It's not as mutch of a 'produce life cycle' as it is players that dosn't see the value of their pets or who overbreed and artificialy lower the price to prevent releassing pets. The perfect exemple of that was when you said that a tagged wasn't worth 500k, depending on the speacie, age of the themme and type of themmed it is they can be eather at an actualy good price for what they are or they may be overpriced, to make sure of it you will have to fo your recherch before juging of it.

I dont say not to breed as mutch as you want but to be more carefull with what you do with the produce of said breeding. Not evry pets are worth selling and pet that are shoudn't go for 1000g and less.

What you are saying about the traits things could work in theory but in practice, it woudn't last long before crumbling to pieces and cause damages to projects in the making. Let me explain :

A female pet can give birth to an egg evry 3 (or 7 for fabled speacies) days, now imagine that said female have a rare/new trait that evryone like. She is breed, her offspring is male and have that said trait, he grow up and is set for public breeding for 1g... (witch is perfectly fine and can help quite a bit somtime)

How long will it take for him to have 10 offsprings ?

Answer: around two weaks

how long do you think it will take for said trait to spread and start to be avalable at low prices in the market ?

Answer: 2-3 months on average

how long for a 6vis project who have that same trait to be compleated ?

answer : in the absolute best senario, 9 months

Now, if we go by trends like you said, the project will have lost all value before it is even compleated. To be worth somthing you have to give a value to the speacie, like we are trying to do by raising the prices.
Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 155
Posted: 10/2/2019 at 10:51 AM Post #36
Just a quick re-ping to the winners of last months game section! You can collect your prizes now
Larkian
Level 75
The Tactician
Threads: 104
Posted: 10/2/2019 at 6:48 PM Post #37
And another thing- you mentioned it's unfair to newbies. While this may be true, there are many, many people who are willing to give free pets to new people. Take a look in the Player Introductions forum and you'll see at the very least, two people offering a new person a fancy themed or 6-vis. I myself even started a whole thread dedicated to giving away free themed pets, items, and gold to players under 60 days. Any more than that, and you're expected to get the game enough to make a decent amount of gold and maybe even start your own projects.

It's the whole difficult to obtain or 'prettyness' that makes it worth it. It's not like it's real life, this is a game, you're supposed to spend your gold on what you like, you don't have to put food on the table or anything. It mostly revolves around the pets. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the basic reason the prices are so high are because, well, they're pretty and nothing worth buying should be easy to get.

And you said more practical things like better stats would be good. We've got max stats for that. They can go for at least 300k and I think that's a perfectly fair price.

The product life cycle - it's not what's going on here. Sure, it is happening, species get more popular as they're revamped and less popular as another takes its place. But that's not what the problem here is. The problem is that all prices, regardless of species, are just being pushed down farther and farther and we have to somehow bring them back up.

(Hope I didn't come across as too harsh ;-;)
Edited By Canawlia on 10/2/2019 at 6:49 PM.
Sylvauna
Level 73
Guardian
Threads: 2
Posted: 10/2/2019 at 7:39 PM Post #38
Ah thank you! I hadn't realized I'd won
Jemadar
Level 74
Grand Protector
Threads: 25
Posted: 10/3/2019 at 9:47 PM Post #39
I feel that restricting breeding is just punishing all players, those who mass breed and those who mass breed and release their own offspring. It hurts all players, not just those who are part of the problem.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned and this is how I feel on any site I play, is that I feel that having dishwater pets for 1 g is perfectly fine. If these are mismatched colors, no visible traits or just random catches, then they shouldn't be expensive unless it happens to appeal to the public. (not necessarily for 1 g, but definitely not for 100K etc..).

However, just as there should be cheap pets, there should also be expensive pets. Max stats, and 6 vis pets *should* be expensive, and that is where I think the problem lies. (just a quick note on 6vis though, since those are aesthetic based, if the 6vis doesn't have good colors or traits, according to the site in general, then no, they aren't going to be worth a lot of money). Having a wide range of prices is good for any site. It allows players to obtain pets quickly, then find out what exactly they like, and then start working on obtaining pets that they really want, which should be more expensive or time intensive to obtain.

This is why I feel that releasing is the way to go. Perhaps releasing could be one of the areas that gets revamped. To me, there really is little incentive to release, because the increase in finding a lost grove nest is incredibly small, and the only two times I have found one, they were both non-themed dishwater pets.

This isn't even counting the players who aren't at lost grove yet, who have no interest in lost grove nests, or playing the lost grove etc.. So, releasing *really* needs a revamp, in order to make it more enticing to the average player (not just breeders, not just players in the lost grove, but players from the newest newbie to the oldest veteran).

Perhaps there could even be levels to releasing. Max stat and 6 vis pets should be higher priced, because those are the ones that have the time investment into. So, make it so the best rewards or the payout is higher for those types of pets. Want themed to be more expensive? Make it so that themed pets give you more rewards than just taking a random capture pet and releasing it. Have tiers for the various pets based upon what *should* be more expensive to buy off the AS.

However, I don't think that having pure gold is a good idea for an incentive, as that can cause an influx of gold in the economy which, while it might drive pet prices up, in the long run would probably end up driving many players away.

Instead, create various items, all consumable, that can be given out for the different tiers, and it won't be release one pet = get one item, it will be more like release 5-10 pets = have a 90% chance to get low tier items. The more pets you release the higher tier items you can obtain. Perhaps throw in some existing items, though that has to be carefully balanced to not tank those prices. Toss some exclusive avvie items rarely, (because those would probably be the hardest to get rid of as you only need one of each avvie item).

Some items I personally would like to see would be an item that can allow you to recreate your starter pet. When I first started, I didn't quite realize about breeding and how genes are passed down, so I gave my pet 2 carries and 1 visible. I would dearly love to turn his two carries into one visible, especially because I no longer like one of those carries (at the time I had a slightly different color palette and it didn't show up the way it does if I turn it visible in the generator). I now know more about carries vs visibles, and breedings and more importantly, about qitari traits in general. This would allow you to add any more visibles than you could at the beginning, but it would allow you to 'reshuffle' your starter pet, colors and traits. Most likley it would be only if it hadn't been bred, and restricted traits would be disallowed.

Another item I would love is one to turn a carried into a visible. My second pet I gave luxurious locks to, changed his colors, and made the mistake of scrying him with his tricolor mane visible. If I could turn that visible, he would look like he had cotton candy for a mane. Again, there would be restrictions, to prevent it from being just something to take a 6 carry and turn it into a six visible. Only one can be used on a pet, pet must be unbred, perhaps only captured pets etc..

Toss in perhaps lesser pet dyes, and try to get the community interested in dyeing pets that are 'dishwater' standard and turn them into 'non-dishwater' pets. This would create a sink for any influx of lesser pet dyes that might be seen, so the price of them might not be affected a great deal.

Another idea that could be used in conjunction with the above is perhaps, very very very rarely, releasing pets can gain you a retired themed egg, ranging from no traits at all to 3 visible. (no trait and one carried would be most common) This would allow players to obtain themed pets, but they would have to release a lot of pets (and by a lot I don't mean 300 like for the releasing section of the patriotic event, but more like 1000-5000+ pets for one) The longer a theme has been retired, the less likely it is to show, making more recent themes a more common prize to be obtained.

Another idea from the thread linked (I assume) is to make release quests. Sort of like how Flight Rising has exalt bonuses, create a task board like area where players have various pets they need to release for gold and/or prizes. These can range from things like 50 qitaris, doesn't matter what, just as long as they are qitaris ,to X vis pets, to potentially even more complicated requirements.

In general, make releasing a fun activity and something that players actively want to do, for reasons other than getting a lost grove egg or trying to help the economy. (also, for the revamp, keep the 42 day limit for lost grove eggs and as a trait that can be randomized in the task board, but get rid of it for most other releasing tasks, so that any adult picture pet can be released and count towards benefits)

One thing to note, and this is especially true for new players, is that when you join, you are told that the emphasis is on breeding your pets. I know when I first joined I was looking for ways to add traits, and found threads where it was basically said 'this isn't a thing because we want players to breed pets to obtain what they want'. This creates the idea in players heads that the object is to breed. While many do projects, there are others who like breeding random pets just to see what comes out.
Electrifying
Level 70
The Tender
Threads: 28
Posted: 10/4/2019 at 2:46 AM Post #40
Have to say, prices will always drop. I would say the expensive price of the ny'vene was because they were a newly released pet and not representative of their actual value.

I played Flightrising from the first week, people were going on and on about the state of the economy as dragon prices plunged. I remembered when 600k Treasure for an ungened Imperial was a steal. But the high prices were because supply was low. Now that Imperials are cheap and plentiful, they are used as exalt fodders.

Sylestia is not a place to get money from breeding pets, since there is nothing to gain from releasing pets, apart from the themed bonus from the lost grove.

In Flightrising, you see adult dragons stay at 6.5k Treasure because you can earn more money from 'releasing' them.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
This Page loaded in 0.013 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.