Forum Index > Roleplaying > The Isle of Abilities
Page 4 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... 52, 53, 54 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Britters
Level 72
The Eggstraordinaire
Threads: 167
Posted: 7/26/2018 at 1:14 AM Post #31
Tox forced himself to shake off his uneasiness that had come with the nightmare, and quickly changed his clothes, grabbing Fang before striding quickly from his room. He hated being confined. It if it weren't for the fact that it got insanely cold at night here, he would sleep outside. Besides needing to get out of that tiny room, he wanted to get a jumpstart on the day. There were only a few more days before the regular "check-ups" would start happening again, and that also meant they would get resupplied.

Walking through the hallway, listening to the continuing shouts and shock and, in some cases, elation Tox was reminded of the day he had been introduced to Fang. He hadn't screamed, of course, but waking up face-to-face with a cobra had been quite a jolting experience. He also had not been very happy about having this...creature seemingly attached to him. He wanted no attachments here, to anyone or anything, that part of his part was over. Fang made it very clear he wasn't going to "beat it", as Tox had shouted at him rather colorfully during the first few weeks of their acquaintance, so he had resigned himself to the snake's companionship.

"Tox!" came a sudden, and rather shrill voice behind him as Tox reached the common room, "I'm so glad you're up early!" Tox grimaced heavily and sighed.

"We all have the same alarm, Crypt," he said, turning around to face the, well...blonde cheerleader moron came to mind when he looked at her. This had been an ongoing thing, her ambushing him during the day, and with increasing frequency lately. He understood why she was doing it, it was painfully obvious she was trying to get him to pay attention to her, to find her attractive and swoon, and despite his best efforts to make it clear he had absolutely zero interest in her, he worried she would never stop.

-----

It should be stated for the record, that Reach was not afraid of owls, or birds in general, or...really any animals besides like slugs or rats. Surprises scared her. Change had never been easy for her to deal with, for she found solace in routine and things that were familiar to her. The events of yesterday had changed her life so drastically, and she had struggled to come to terms with all of it. She had, barely, with the help of her new friend Wire, but to wake up to yet another surprise...had not gone over well for her.

"A familiar?" she asked, perplexed, leaning back slightly as Wire showed her the rather large moth perched on her arm.

For a moment she was somewhat grateful that the other woman took off on a tangent, for it gave Reach to gather her thoughts. It did seem correct that the other people who had arrived with them yesterday were clamoring up and down the hall about having found critters in their rooms. What an absolutely bizarre thing to take place. Why on earth would they all be given these creatures? What purpose did it serve?

"Oh," she said once Wire hit the brakes on her rambling and inquired about the animal Reach had discovered in her room, "I believe it looked like a barn owl. I don't understand why they've all appeared to us like this...let alone how. I'm afraid I might not have given mine the warmest of welcomes." She glanced guiltily behind her at her open door. The idea of another friend seemed like a pleasant one but...she was having a hard time being comfortable with all of this.
Creativity
Level 71
Cutely Creative
Threads: 253
Posted: 7/26/2018 at 8:09 AM Post #32
It was inevitable. Brain hadn't even spent a total of half an hour working on her Theory of Everything - which was becoming increasingly difficult, by the way, as she had all the information but couldn't quite find the basis for her link - before she was ambushed by two of the compounders, likely needing information to settle an argument. It happened all the time; she didn't know why she bothered feeling irritated at all anymore.

'Have no feelings, Mneme. If you possess none, then none can be used against you.'

The haunting voice of her mother, spoken in one of her rare bouts of sobriety, sent a shiver down the girl's spine. She straightened, put her pen down, and looked up from her notebook as two women slipped into the other side of the bench. "Remember my name, Brainy?" one teased with a sly smile.

"Of course." God, her voice sounded hollow even to her. "How could I f-forget, Wasp? And Nerve," she acknowledged the both of them. Wasp had been a part of her own batch, while Nerve had arrived two batches later. The two had took to each other rather quickly, and Brain wouldn't call it a stretch to suspect the two of romantic relations.

Wasp suddenly reached over and snatched the notebook away from her, causing the redhead to flinch. Sudden movements near her always frightened her, and she hated it. Her heart was beating fast as Wasp flipped lazily through the notebook. "Theory of Everything? Of course, you would be writing this," Nerve laughed as she glanced over at it.

"Did you come here for something?"

"We did!" Nerve took the book and tossed it to the side. It slid across the table and fell to the ground dejectedly, Brain's eyes never leaving it. They both leaned in close and her gaze snapped back to them. "Is water wet?"

Brain had to bite back a laugh at the cliche question. "That's a controversial statement that has yet to reach a conclusion. I could list off several reasons for each side of the argument," was all she said.

-

Another scream sounded as some other soul discovered their newly acquired pet, and Wire couldn't hold back a little chuckle at it. "I am afraid you are likely not the only one," she grinned, looking out into the hallway. One of the guys was holding a blue jay and showing it off to Domino, who was, in turn, showing off her bat. "Those some are happier about it than others."

Little Mbali started crawling up her hand and arm, fluttering her wings lightly. Wire was briefly entranced, again, by the gorgeous eyespots on the bottom of the wing. They seemed to consist of only a handful of colors, and yet, at the same time, infinitely many shades of those colors. It was absolutely stunning, and she couldn't help but reach out with her other hand and gently stroke those wings. Little Mbali accepted it, and even stretched her wings out a little for more.

But Wire returned her attention to Reach. "A barn owl? Why not take it out? I am sure it will not hurt you. After all, I swatted at Little Mbali earlier and it had hurt me, as well. Not much, as it was light, but still. I can only assume they are a part of our Abilities, though why they appear here and have not appeared before we were here is beyond me," she caught herself rambling once again and had to stop herself before she launched into another tangent.

She had to hold herself back from apologizing. She knew that she shouldn't have to apologize for it, but her brother would always shoot her menacing glares when she would do it with him, and it had become a sort of second nature when she realized she would do it.

Anything to keep him from forcing her to steal when they did not absolutely need it. If apologizing for her talking made him less likely to punish her, then she had no qualms about doing so. But she was away from him now, and she knew that she had to coax herself out of that habit, for it was a terribly unhealthy one.
Britters
Level 72
The Eggstraordinaire
Posted: 7/27/2018 at 12:22 AM Post #33
Tox was well aware of the way many of the women on the island viewed him. He was physically fit, attractive features, piercing brown eyes, and since his arrival he had been bombarded with girls trying to flirt with him, be physically close to him. At first he had reacted angrily, but then they usually wanted to try harder and after a while he found that an aloof and "mysterious" facade kept most of them admiring him from afar, which suited him just fine.

Crypt had been at the game for months now, with no sign of letting up. The sudden commotion over by Brain's table gave Tox just the opportunity he needed.

"Excuse me," he said gruffly to Crypt without even looking at her, and strode quickly over to the table where the two women were pestering the redhead, "Get out of here, both of you. Now."

There was no hesitation in his demeanor, there couldn't be. Disrespectful behavior led to problems, it didn't matter who was behind it, it didn't matter what motivation they had, it had to be quelled immediately in a place like this. Tox stared the two women down, his arms folded across his chest. Even Fang was staring imposingly at them. They seemed for a moment as thought they were thinking about retorting, but after a few moments they seemed to decide as a pair to cut their losses and walked away. Tox watched them go, making sure they were exiting the room before turning back to Brain. His brown eyes scanned her table, taking note of any damage that the other two might have caused. The only thing out of place he could see was her notebook was on the floor. He scooped it up and handed it to her in one fluid movement, glancing at the title.

"Theory of Everything," he mused softly, "So how do you know when you've completed it?" The question sort of came out of nowhere, but his curiosity was genuine...surprisingly.

-----

Reach had noticed early on in their acquaintance, which in all fairness only started yesterday, that Wire had something like a calming effect on her. She could already feel her heart rate had gone back to normal, her chest didn't feel like it was being squeezed, and her hands were not shaking. It seemed a minor miracle to her, and she found herself actually relaxing as she gazed down the hallway, which had begun to fill up with others that had arrive with them yesterday.

"Yes," she said, returning her gaze back to Wire and her large moth, "Perhaps I should."

With a deep breath Reach turned and walked back across the hallway to her room. She stepped inside and found the barn owl from earlier still perched on the chair, looking as though he had simply been casually awaiting her return. She took a few more timid steps towards him until she was right in front of him. Him? How was it she even knew it was a him? But perhaps that was all part of the connection Wire had mentioned before. She gave the owl a very small smile.

"Hello," she said to it, waving her hand at it a bit in greeting, which felt silly, "You're quite a handsome fellow, aren't you?" At this compliment, the owl perked up and seemed to sort of preen, even opening his wings to briefly display his impressive wingspan. Reach actually laughed, a very rare sound. "And proud too, I see. Hm...I think I know just the name for you, my dear. My name is Emm...Reach, and it is a pleasure to meet you Mr. Darcy." Yes, it seemed fitting, and a way for her to hold onto her old life, where she would read her favorite Jane Austen novel over and over just for the comfort it brought her. Mr. Darcy seemed to approve and hopped right onto her arm...which of course caused her to shriek.

"Ah! Wire! What do I do?"
Creativity
Level 71
Cutely Creative
Posted: 7/27/2018 at 9:47 AM Post #34
It was sudden, Tox coming to the table and scaring off both Wasp and Nerve. Though, in retrospect, Brain found that it was not all that surprising. After all, didn't he always swoop in to 'rescue' those that were under taunting by the other prisoners? Did he fancy himself some sort of savior, purposed to stand up for those that would not - could not - stand up for themselves?

Her heart began doing double time and she felt her hands begin to tremble. She carefully removed them from the table and folded them into her lap to remove the evidence. She was not some weak damsel in distress. She didn't require rescuing. 'Get over yourself.'

She swallowed hard, fixing him with a glare. She wouldn't take it. She didn't need it.

"I was handling them just fine on my own, you know. You don't have to swoop in as some holy savior," she spat, and her voice was dripping with more venom than she had ever heard it. "Perhaps you should save your chauvinistic heroism for those that actually care and want it."

But then he had picked up her book and was asking her about it, likely before he had processed what she was saying. She softened slightly and her gaze traveled to a spot in the bottom right corner of her vision, possibly with guilt; she couldn't quite tell.

"When it all m-makes sense," she murmured in reply to his question.

-

As Reach retreated back into her room, Wire followed partway and leaned against the doorway. Little Mbali took flight only to land on her shoulder instead. Wire spared her only a glance before returning her gaze to reach and the rather stunning owl in the room. The owl itself had gorgeous tawny, brown, and white colorings, and a rich face.

Wire smiled lightly as Reach interacted with her familiar. The normally timid girl was slowly coming out of her shell already, and Wire could see it. She had always felt that, if life was going to beat you around anyway, it was best to make the most of it rather than hide within yourself. Though, of course, she could only imagine what Reach's power might entail mentally. She knew that her own wasn't the cleanest, but the other girl had seemed particularly afraid of her own Ability, and given what Wire knew of it, she was more sympathetic towards her shyness.

But still, watching her interact with the owl - Mr. Darcy, she had called him - was enriching and it left a warm feeling in the South African's chest. When he hopped onto Reach's arm, she screamed and called out for Wire, who, consequently, could not contain her mirth.

Shaking her head and laughing, Wire approached and gently stroked the owl, still perched on the other girl's arm. "You pet him," she stated simply. Her laughter faded into a smile. "He is not going to hurt you. If he hurts you, then he hurts himself. I believe we are connected that way. I had swatted Little Mbali at first to try to get her out of the window and save her from those that would squash her, and I had felt it on my own arm."
Britters
Level 72
The Eggstraordinaire
Posted: 7/27/2018 at 1:43 PM Post #35
Tox was not a knight in shining armor, that much was certain. He had never really cared about the way other people interacted with each other. When Kicker, the previous de facto leader, had still been alive Tox had watched him break up arguments in a calm and collected way, keeping things peaceful and in order. It wasn't until the first few weeks after his death that Tox had discovered why those things were so important, and it wasn't long after that he realized someone was going to have to step up and sort things out...he just wished it hadn't ended up being him.

"I know you were," he said simply when Brain got a bit indignant, "You know as well as I do that they would have just kept pressing your buttons, and regardless of how well you were handling it, that kind of behavior can't be encouraged because other people won't handle it as well." All of that was said with no real condescension, he was simply explaining his reasoning. Brain had been here longer than he had, and Kicker had been a member of her group. She knew why it was he felt that way.

"But wouldn't there always be...more to add?" he asked her in regards to her work. He noted her slight change in behavior but didn't react to it. Brain had always been a bit odd, though that wasn't unlike anyone else here, and he had gotten used to it. However, before he could even expect a reply from Brain, that voice sounded behind him again...

"To-ox," Crypt said, somehow turning his already shortened name into two syllables, "Aren't you coming to breakfast? Would you like to sit with me?" Tox closed his eyes briefly. He had been sure he'd seen her walk out the door when he came over to Brain, but then again her ability was camouflage so it was always hard to tell exactly where she was at any given time.

"I, uh...can't," he said, not even turning around to look at her, "I'm...already having breakfast with Brain."

The last bit came out in a rush, and even Tox himself was shocked it had come out of his mouth. He looked down at Brain in somewhat of a panic. His eyes were widened slightly and he was trying to give Brain a look which he hope explained just how badly he needed her to play along. It wasn't that he couldn't simply tell Crypt point blank to leave him the hell alone, but his past experience had proven that only made them try harder, and again it all came back to trying to keep peace and order. If Crypt simply thought that he'd made other plans, that would make it easier for her to just move on. He only hoped Brain would understand the situation, she was supposed to be super smart...
Creativity
Level 71
Cutely Creative
Posted: 7/27/2018 at 3:31 PM Post #36
It was almost painful, how much Brain wanted to tell Tox how she wasn't like other people, and she had no feelings, so it didn't matter how people treated her. She honestly couldn't care less. But, he just cared about the compound, and she supposed that made more sense. It still didn't make her feel any better about it. She didn't want to accept help because that only opened doors for more help to be offered.

'Little Duck, won't you let me help you?'

'I am not weak.'

Okay, sometimes - scratch that, most of the time, Brain cursed the accessibility of her own memory. She'd like to leave the past in the past forever, but her darned mind was so easy to connect minor thoughts and details and it was so very tiring.

"A Theory of Everything is not a work that lists all of the aspects of the universe. If that were true, then one w-would have to include every fact, every line of dialogue spoken by every single person throughout history, a database so extensive and swiftly-growing that one could not learn all of it," she let out in one breath. She met his gaze again, having calmed herself. "A Theory of Everything is a link. Something that connects all of the aspects of life and the universe."

They were approached by a woman who had been there for some time now - Crypt, as Brain recalled it, having been the one to interpret the woman's tattoo. Brain lowered her head slightly, having every intention of staying out of the conversation for a pure lack of interest in the flirting. But then Tox dragged her into it. Her head jerked up, but Crypt seemed not to notice, focusing on Tox. But then her dark eyes turned on the redhead and Brain felt her face slowly becoming as ruddy as her hair.

She met Tox's gaze and she recognized the plea in them. Every bone in her body was screaming at her to screw it all, to detach herself from the conversation and situation in general. But around Tox, she felt different. She didn't want him to have to deal with the clingy woman any more than she'd want to deal with her herself. So, she thought about it, and then took a deep, steadying breath.

A smile was plastered onto her own face and she turned her face back to Crypt. "Yes, and we have plans for the rest of the day, as well. Sorry," she put on an apologetic pout and shrugged her shoulders.
Britters
Level 72
The Eggstraordinaire
Posted: 7/28/2018 at 1:18 AM Post #37
The relief on Tox's face was plainly evident when Brain made the decision to help him with his ruse, thankfully she was the only one who could see his expression. He knew she was probably not happy with him, but he would take that over trying to deal with getting Crypt to let go of her obsession with him using the direct approach. He had tried that a few times and it always got messy one way or another, either the girls being so crushed they couldn't function, or they just got...very, very angry. He hated it.

Thank you, he mouthed to Brain and then turned to face Crypt, "Sorry, Crypt, my hands are tied." He gave her a smirky grin, letting her apply any subtext to that that she wanted. The more the better really.

"Fine," Crypt said after a minute, her voice clearly indicated all was not fine, and the look she shot Brain almost mad Tox worried, "If you'd choose her over me then you're not worth the time." She actually turned her nose up at them and flipped her hair as she stalked away...who does that? Tox watched her leave, frowning, and then shook his head slightly and turned back around to Brain.

"I'm really sorry about that," he told her, "She has been hounding me for months and I needed to give her a reason to give it up. I can't..." He trailed off briefly, realizing he didn't want to reveal to much. "I just can't be distracted right now. New batch of people, check ups coming up soon. Not the time to dilly dally around."

His voice sounded confident, but inside Tox's emotions were on a rampage. His reasons for always turning away any of the female attention that came his way had nothing to do with not wanting to be distracted. He simply couldn't be close to anyone like that. It was no longer possible for him to have relationships, or close emotional attachments to anyone for any reason. After...his sister...after what he did...he just could never take that chance ever again in his life.

"So," he said, taking a seat next to Brain, "Guess we're stuck together for the day. Have any plans?" It was a rhetorical question, Tox knew what she did all day, but it might not have come off that way...
Creativity
Level 71
Cutely Creative
Posted: 7/28/2018 at 1:33 AM Post #38
It was true that Brain didn't like to consider herself an intelligent person. She knew a lot, yes, and she had her infinite memory, but knowing was far different than doing and experiencing and thinking, and she realized too late that she had screwed up. Her hands were trembling again at Crypt's comment, not because she was insulted - she knew she wasn't attractive, and she didn't particularly care, either; She had no feelings, after all - but because something nagged at the back of her mind and told her that Crypt didn't consider their imaginary plans to be quite as platonic as Brain had meant them to be.

She was so caught up in her realization that she didn't even hear Tox's first words. But his voice drew her out of her own headspace and she caught the tail end of it. Quickly trying to recover herself, she pushed her glasses farther up on her nose and stared down at her hands.

"I... I think we may have misled her," she murmured rather than acknowledge his question. After all, it wasn't hard to predict her plans. They were the same as they were every other day: spend some time at the compound's library, work on her notes, and avoid people in general. If he couldn't figure that out by now, then he was far less observant than she had originally taken him to be.

Slowly, she let her eyes meet his again and put a valiant effort into voiding them of any and all emotion. "I don't consider myself an expert in the area of feeling and connotations, but I think I may have implied our plans to be more implicitly intimate than I had meant to convey." Oh, yeah. Her ears were burning by now, but she did her best to keep the color from invading her face. "Did you hear her tone? She was almost jealous. What reason would anyone have to be jealous of me, other than if they thought I had something - say, you - that they didn't. I can't personally think of anything else they would want from me."

She took a steadying breath and let it out slowly. "We can't let her operate under the assumption we are more than friends, because if so, then she will expose our folly and we will be g-grossly humiliated in front of the scores. Perhaps you should go set her straight. Tell her the truth before she gets any ideas."
Britters
Level 72
The Eggstraordinaire
Posted: 7/28/2018 at 1:01 PM Post #39
It was incredibly hard not to laugh, Tox noted, as Brain went off on her spiel about how they had likely "misled" Crypt and how they needed to "set her straight" about the intentions and implications of the two of them having plans with one another. Yes, the impulse to laugh was very strong, and Tox was beginning to have a hard time keeping a straight face. He picked up a pencil from her table and began to twirl it around in his fingers just to give himself something to do.

"Those are all very good points," he said, trying to keep his tone as serious as he could, "But I have no intention of going over to her and telling anything. She can think what she wants to think, it makes no difference to us or anyone in the compound except that now I might be able to avoid getting ambushed by her from now on." He glanced down at the table and realized he had never give Brain back her notebook. He did so now, and flashed her a grin.

"Now, again I'm sorry for dragging you into this, and that its made you uncomfortable, but really all I'm asking you to do is eat a few meals with me. To most it'll just look like we're discussing things pertaining to the compound, that I'm stepping more into my role as leader and that will be all. If Crypt wishes to think theres more to it then that just means more freedom for me." He paused a moment, the pencil still spinning about as he thought. "If you would really rather not have my company then, though, I can go."

There an odd sensation, a brief passing of something not unlike disappointment which came over Tox. He couldn't quite fathom where it had come from, but he found himself coming to the realization that he truly wanted Brain to be willing to help him out in this. He told himself that it only had to do with wanting Crypt to give up her hold on him, but something in the back of his mind nagged at him that that wasn't all it was. But what else could it be? Brain was "safe" in that she had never shown any interest in anyone in the entire time he had known her, therefore she was not likely to develop any feelings for him while they kept up this ruse. That was all these feelings could be related to, there was no other explanation for them.

-----

Reach found herself entering a hyper observant sort of state of mind. She did this sometimes as a tool to cope with her panic and anxiety. Her icy blue eyes focused on the tiniest details as she gazed at Mr. Darcy perched upon her arm. His deep black eyes, which under other circumstances might look rather disturbing but in his somewhat heart-shaped face with its pale cream and rich brown hues, they looked warm and inviting. His grip was strong, but he was carefully causing her no pain with his talons. He seemed calm, almost obliging as he stared at her, seeming to be showing nothing but an infinite patience as he simply waited for her to make the next move.

"My apologies," she said to him, realizing that it didn't feel the least bit odd to be talking to an owl, "I've never had really had a pet before." She took a deep breath and reached out a hand towards him. He seemed to lean into her hand once it made contact with his soft feathers. She smiled again as she stroked his wings a few times, and she could feel a warm sensation flowing through her body. It was an unusual feeling for her, particularly lately, but she realized she felt happy.

"Perhaps we should take them both outside." Reach glanced backwards at Wire. "I'm not sure where they've come from, but they would probably enjoy a chance to stretch their wings." She also realized that she would rather like some fresh air, and now she had friends to enjoy it with.
Creativity
Level 71
Cutely Creative
Posted: 7/28/2018 at 4:24 PM Post #40
With every word Tox spoke, Brain was becoming more and more uneasy about the whole situation. He was okay with it? It was unadulterated fibbing, and painful fibbing at that. Not that she would ever admit to such an emotional hurt aloud. Still, she couldn't believe that he would be okay with this- this-... Fake dating. That's what it was. She shook her head slowly and tried not to let her sudden fear show on her face. He couldn't be okay with this.

She most certainly wasn't! That was for sure! She was preparing himself to tell him off, just so she could forget about all of this and bury herself in her frustrating research once again, away from people and away from everyone who wanted things from her. She was tired of being used.

But then, he seemed genuinely worried at her hesitation. He very truly wanted her help with this. How could she say no? Just like she did to everything else in her life, she was going to give in and help someone else at her own expense.

I have no feelings.

Her mantra rang in her head and she swallowed hard before hardening her gaze in resolution. "Sorry, I'm just being silly," she forced a smile onto her own face. Actually, she was rather adept at lying, having done it her whole life, though she was still not completely happy with it.

"I can help you. I do want to warn you, however, that I've never truly experienced something that might be convincing, and so I may not be the best candidate to provide the most credible act. Are you sure there is no one else you can ask, someone who is more well-versed in the subject?" It was worth a try.

-

Well, Reach had most certainly made a good point, and Wire quickly found herself getting lost in her own mind. Where had the pets - familiars, were they? - come from? She could only guess that it had something to do with the compound. After all, strange scenarios often brought strange occurrences and events. Though what exactly caused them to appear was both frightening and exhilarating. Wire made a mental promise to herself that she will discover why they were here, where 'here' was, where the pets came from, why they had their Abilities... The list could only go on and on.

But then again, her brother did always tell her that she was too curious for her own good.

It had never stopped her before!

"That is a good idea," she responded to her friend before leading the two of them outside of the dormitory building that their batch had been set in. The courtyard was almost as tired as the people within it, dragging themselves around like zombies toward the cafeteria.

Little Mbali was relieved to be out in the sunlight, Wire thought, as she immediately took to flight and flew around her happily. Wire grinned and watched her new pet. It was true that her brother had always told her that they couldn't afford a pet. If she wanted one, then she would have to steal more, and then the issue became a battle between her wants and her morals, the latter of which emerged from the fight victorious every time, much to her loneliness.

"Reach, this place is... Indescribable. There is so many questions here," she changed the subject suddenly, turning towards her friend with eyes shining. "I am going to find the answers. I promise you that. I will find them. Will you help me?"
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5... 52, 53, 54
This Page loaded in 0.014 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.