Forum Index > Roleplaying > The Isle of Abilities
Page 2 1, 2, 3... 52, 53, 54 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Britters
Level 72
The Eggstraordinaire
Threads: 167
Posted: 6/28/2018 at 12:14 AM Post #11
Tox had been on the island a long time. He had isolated himself for the most part at first, not because he was shy, but because he simply didn't like being around other people. Slowly, it had become a necessity to socialize, and he knew there were several of the girls (and possibly one of the guys, though he did his best to ignore that) that found him attractive. He didn't mind the attention, as long as it stayed at a distance. With Brain, he supposed, he found it a little easier to interact with her because she buried herself so deeply in her books, she paid attention to little else.

"Um, no," he said, raising both eyebrows as she started stuttering horribly, "I don't think anyone noticed. I'll go grab it so everyone gets their ration tonight." He turned to leave but then turned back, a frown on his face. "Are you...okay?"

He wasn't sure where the concern came from, probably mostly out of curiosity. Brain was somewhat essential to several aspects of life on the island currently. Not to mention that any of them becoming sick was a major problem for a lot of reasons. Something contagious could potentially be very dangerous, but also a trip to the "doctor" was not something any of them wanted.

-----

Breathe in...breathe out...breathe in...breathe out. Reach continued her slow, deep breaths as she sat on top of the wooden crate. She had discovered meditation some years ago, and it had gone a long way to helping her pull her life back together after...but no, there was no need to think about that. What was important right now was for her to become at peace with her situation. It was very clear she was stuck here, there was no escape. She had to adapt, she had to...

Her head snapped up when Wire approached, her icy blue eyes wide behind her glasses. She stared at the other woman as she spoke, taking in her words and at the same time trying to maintain control of her panicked emotions. This was what her new life was about, trying to learn how to be around so many other people. She had managed to do it in London, she only had to overcome her fear of the unknown and do it again.

"Wow is one word for it I guess," she replied very softly, as if her voice had no more color to it than the rest of her, "I suppose for my part I was...in shock. I wasn't ready to let go of my old life...my old self." She shook her head slightly, realizing she was rattling, which was rude. "In any case I accept your apology...Wire, was it?"
Creativity
Level 71
Cutely Creative
Threads: 253
Posted: 6/28/2018 at 12:33 AM Post #12
She had risked a glance up at his face, just one, but that was enough. He looked so awfully unimpressed with her eloquent lack of articulation. Granted, as soon as the glace was over and she had gauged his reaction - something that, she knew, she would never forget, no matter how much she'd have liked to in that very instant - she glued her eyes back on her badger.

Thor had noticed the new arrival and was now perfectly willing to forget the entire existence of the pen in favor of waddling to the end of the table and reaching out a paw to the newcomer for attention. Like the little attention hound he was. Brain almost smiled at him, but her heart was racing too fast.

Stupid hormones!

But, oh. Now he was asking her if she was okay, with an unexpected concern in his voice, likely because she can't seem to control her own voice around this flaunting peacock.

Brain told herself she wouldn't dare to glance again. "I-I'm fine. No need t-to worry, T-Toxin." Upon saying his name, however, she did glance up at him and, surprising herself, met his gaze bravely. "I don't have feelings, anyway." She tried not to notice how words became easier to say with her little mantra.

-

Almost immediately, Wire regretted ever coming over to the white woman. She was extremely, unbelievably standoffish, and looked like she'd rather have the earth swallow her up than engage in any conversation with the dark-skinned woman. But, even if that were the case, she did a pretty good job of hiding it in her voice as she spoke.

"I guess none of us really asked for it, huh? Forgive me, I am eager for a new start, and was not aware that others might not be so," Wire laughed humorlessly while nodding in confirmation of her name, now feeling the shame for her earlier assumptions of the other newcomers.

Still, she was in this goshdarn conversation, and she was gonna complete it. Realizing that she had really given no room for the conversation to continue, Wire figured she'd have to be the one to continue it, and make it a worthwhile exchange.

She leaned back against a tree, crossing her arms over her chest now. "So, why do you think we are here? I mean... We have such strange new names. I wonder..." She narrowed her eyes slightly. "Can I trust you? What was your name again... Reach? See, I pay attention sometimes."
Britters
Level 72
The Eggstraordinaire
Posted: 6/28/2018 at 11:41 AM Post #13
Everyone in this place had their quirks. It was to be expected really, given all of their different abilities, and they had some people with really bizarre things they were capable of here. Despite that, most still just acted like regular people for the most part. Brain, however, remained a mystery to Tox, and very strange, somewhat dull mystery. Perhaps that was why he had talked to her more comfortably than most others during his time here. She didn't stare at him in the way the other girls did, too in love with her books he imagined, she was just...odd.

"Tox," he corrected automatically, with only a slight scowl, "Are you planning on joining the group for dinner?" He didn't continue at first because there was pressure and a tug on his arm where Fang was seemingly try to pull his hand out to the badger on the table. This was Brain's familiar Tox knew. He glared half-heartedly at the cobra and then absently reached a hand out and scratched the other creature's fuzzy head. Then he finished what he was saying.

"It would be useful if you were able to give me your thoughts on the new arrivals. Its a larger group than normal and I don't want any surprises."

-----

Emmeli...Reach, she was going to need to get much better at thinking of herself as this new person, had begun to fidget with her hands in her lap. She supposed it was better than them shaking uncontrollably. Her heart had stopped pounding which was also a good sign. She was still afraid, still uncertain about this place and her situation, but she was beginning to get a handle on things, and that was good. If she could maintain control of herself then there was less likely to be any...accidents.

"I suppose for many a fresh start would have some appeal," she mused quietly. What she didn't voice was her belief that maybe she too was in need of a fresh start. Her previous life had been comfortable, yes, but it had still felt empty somehow. Her blank slate apartment, her cubicle job that required her to talk to no one, her non-existent social life. Yes, perhaps she too could find something positive to hold onto in this place.

"Hm?" she said at first after Wire began speaking, too caught up in her own thoughts to have caught much but the last bit, "Oh, well...I suppose when you get right down to it we all need to try trusting one another in this place. I suppose...yes, yes you can trust me." It seemed odd, but that simple statement felt like a step forward to her. A step towards leaving Emmeline behind and letting Reach come forward.
Creativity
Level 71
Cutely Creative
Posted: 6/28/2018 at 12:08 PM Post #14
Briefly, Brain took her eyes from Tox's in order to watch her familiar as he accepted the head scratches and promptly rolled onto his back for belly rubs. She reached forward and administered the much-desired attention on his tummy, figuring it should not be Tox's job to take care of her needy creature.

"Perhaps," she answered him vaguely, noncommittally. Okay. So, he wasn't big and scary and overly dominant, no matter what his hair might suggest in terms of animalistic cultures. It was becoming slightly easier to talk around him, to him. "Though y-you know I'm n-not one for small talk usually. I-It's mindless and boring and it t-takes up r-room in my memory that c-could be used for more ef-f-ficient knowledge," she rambled slightly, bringing herself, once again, to meet his gaze.

His eyes were stunning. Absolutely stunning. They always had been. Sure they were a simple dark brown in coloration, but the way that they scrutinized everything at once, as is silently passing instantaneous judgments on every object or person they landed on. Calculating. Cautious. And yet, warm, in a sense. Calming, she might even venture...

If that were something she would think about! Which, it wasn't!

She resisted the urge to give her head a little shake, instead moving on to his next inquiry. "Well..." she sighed. "Brick s-seemed the most passive of them. His name implies a h-heavyweight Ability. Jay was scared out of her wits. Her actions sort of resembled a b-bird, I might v-venture. Blow, I couldn't really discern much about, I'll be honest. Art has a unique o-oddity to her eyes, what is known as partial heterochromia. Different c-colors within the same eye. Morph is just a kid, definitely A-Arabic, seemed sort of content with h-his new name. Wire was tense, but almost s-smiled, I think, when I gave her the new name. J-Jet seemed hostile, but f-flighty. Mist didn't seem like she paid that much attention at all. Domino had a t-triumphant air. Jazz r-rolled his eyes at his name. And Reach... Well, aside from what you saw, I felt a sort of ch-chill when I touched her. She was the m-most frightened, for sure."

-

Again, Wire held a mental debate. Actually, though, this one lasted longer than her average two seconds, but every set of data had outliers. For the five-second duration of her new mental debate, she narrowed her eyes at Reach, trying to figure out if the girl seemed like she would call her a freak or sympathize, maybe empathize.

But still... If the reason for their being in the camp was what, or similar, to what she thought it could be... It would be too perfect. Too explanatory. She had to know! After all, it was the only thing unique about her as a person, and she had already established via powers of observation that race, ethnicity, and gender were most certainly not the reason for their being taken.

"You see," she began, mental debate ended as it usually ends. "I can do something that I am fairly certain no one else can. I am not going to go into details, but... I have to know." She knelt down so she was more level with the pale-haired and pale-skinned woman. "Are you able to do something that no one else can?"

She paused, trying to gauge Reach's reaction, but then decided to continue as to ward off any hostility she may have accidentally conversed. "I mean... If you can, and I can, then I would be willing to bet my mother's necklace that that ability is the reason why we were brought here. You do not need to tell me what it is if you can, though," she covered quickly.
Edited By Creativity on 6/28/2018 at 2:01 PM.
Britters
Level 72
The Eggstraordinaire
Posted: 6/28/2018 at 4:46 PM Post #15
Tox was an imposing figure, a fact he was very aware of, and in fact he prided himself on it. His muscles, his demeanor, even his shockingly colored hair kept everyone respectful of him for the most part when he had had to step into his role as unwilling leader, but once again most were content to not be very close to him. This suited him well. He listened very intently to everything Brain said to him about the new arrivals, his concentration in stark contrast to the opinion some may have of him as not being very intelligent.

"So for the most part not unlike any other group," he mused aloud, absentmindedly scratching at the stubble under his chin, "Thats good, then. Everyone is so different from one another as far as background, race, and especially abilities, I worry about things getting out of hand. Its not like we need another reason to diminish our numbers..."

Turning his head to the side, Tox stared out through the doorway, on which he was once again leaning casually. His deep brown eyes scanned the courtyard, observing the others as they went about their evening duties. Everyone was performing as well as usual, and some of the new arrivals seemed to have decided to try helping out in what ways they could. That boded well for the days to come, when they would be fully integrated into the day-to-day workings of the place. But to what end? That was always the question Tox asked himself...

"Anyway, thanks Brain," he said to her, turning to leave and then pausing briefly, "I just wish I could understand what our purpose is here. I know we've figured some of it out on our own through the years, the familiars, the studies they run on us, but...there has to be more to it. Don't you think?" He turned his gaze on her, his expression intense.

-----

If Reach (there see, that was getting easier...) was being honest with herself, their surroundings were quite beautiful. The humidity was going to be a problem, particularly with her hair, but what vegetation existed within the compound and what she could see over the top of the walls was simply stunning. As the evening progressed there were streaks of color that were starting paint themselves across the sky as the sun set. It seemed strange to make such an observation, but she supposed that if this was to be her new home...well, it could be worse.

When Wire knelt down in front of her, Reach felt her body jolt, instinctively wanting to put more distance between them, but she stamped it down and managed to hold the other woman's gaze. As Wire began speaking of abilities, Reach chewed on her lower lip, subtly flexing her fingers as she rested her gloved hands on her knees. She had a suspicion that Wire was correct, that these abilities were what had brought them here, but that idea scared her deeply and she wasn't sure she wanted to admit anything, for that would make it real...

"I...," she began meekly, having every intention of lying, but in an unusual moment of courage she cleared her voice and tried to speak with more conviction, "I...can...see things. When I touch objects or...or people." She faltered on his last bit, balling her hands into fists, her boldness running out of her like water down a drain, but it had been there, however briefly, and that was worth something.
Creativity
Level 71
Cutely Creative
Posted: 6/28/2018 at 6:02 PM Post #16
Of course, at what seemed to be the end of what information Tox needed from her, he began to turn away. She expected that. After all, what was it that her mother always called her? A walking encyclopedia. How could she forget? So many people in her life had used Brain for information, for knowledge. And she considered herself a rather generous, giving person, so she was usually more than willing to dispense what knowledge they required unless it was for folly.

But when the world sees you as one thing and you continuously act as the thing in service of the world, it is given that, over time, you will melt and shift and shrink and expand to fill out that very mold. So, in a world that had viewed Brain as nothing more than, well, a walking encyclopedia her entire life, what force was there to stop her from becoming just that?

She was startled, to say the least, when her prediction suddenly turned to ash as Tox turned back around quickly, suddenly. And then he was speaking again, but he wasn't asking her for information. Her eyes narrowed slightly in concentration behind her glasses as she listened to him speak. Could it be that he was pitching information to her, rather than retrieving? What an odd concept it was to her, who had never been given much her whole life.

"An idea..." she murmured to herself as he stopped rambling. Her gaze slid away from his, focusing on a vague spot on the ground. "I think a l-lot of things, Tox. I know a lot of th-things. But I never claimed to b-be intelligent." Her voice was hardly more than a mutter, and as she spoke, she could feel a painful pounding in her chest at the reality of it.

Swallowing hard, she met his gaze once again, her eyes now more vague than they had been before. "Forgive me," she laughed dryly, humorlessly. "I shall not be joining the group for dinner. I've had a remembrance." In one swift motion, she gathered her notebooks in one arm and scooped Thor up in the other, and then quickly walked off.

-

Wow. Wire hadn't expected Reach to actually divulge her power, even if the description was vague, to a point, and it definitely raised more questions than it answered. But one thing was for certain. Well, almost certain. There was a connection established. Wire had a special ability, and so did Reach. And, perhaps the redhead did, too. After all, she read the numbers within a matter of moments. It was obviously some kind of code, and to decipher it that fast! It was unheard of.

Wire would bet her own life that the freckled woman had an ability, too. Maybe some sort of knowledge. Perhaps that's why they were there. Because they were special.

And yet, Reach had spoken her own power, or some watered-down version of it, without any obvious fibbing. And Wire considered herself pretty good at detecting lies, though it wasn't any sort of Ability like her chant was, obviously. But ever still, Reach had told the truth, and now Wire would feel like a donkey's rear end if she did not do the same.

So, she sighed and, once again, rubbed at the back of her neck. "I am sorry. Could that have to do with how you reacted to the redhead touching you? Though, I do not quite know what you mean by 'things'. You sound truthful, so I must be the same, out of courtesy," she took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "In the simplest phrasing, I can make people do...things?" she offered.
Britters
Level 72
The Eggstraordinaire
Posted: 6/29/2018 at 2:23 PM Post #17
It was hard labeling anyone as an "oddity" in this place, given that they all had odd things about them, but Tox felt like Brain was a hair odder than the rest, not that that was necessarily a bad thing. Most people here formed cliques, or joined pre-formed cliques within days of their arrivals. Brain was one of very few who kept themselves isolated for the most part. He himself had been that way for a long time, but his physique made him useful around the compound and he had found himself grudgingly interacted with most of their fellow abductees.

"Whatever," he said, amiably enough, when she made the decision not the join them for dinner. She rarely did, but he liked getting her opinions on the new arrivals from further observing them. He watched her walk away, her red hair catching the light, her badger under one arm, and he frowned again slightly. He heard Fang's soft hiss from his arm and scoffed. "Shut up."

Tox pushed himself away from the doorway in a fluid motion and headed in the direction of the woodcutting pile. Things had progressed despite his absence, and before he lost his train of thought he decided to go retrieve the wayward box of vitamins. Brain had said that new girl, Reach, the one that had given her the chill when she'd touched her, had sat down on it. He remembered the woman as having icy blonde hair, and it didn't take long to spot it amongst the green vines that trailed down the walls. The dark-skinned one that he had reprimanded earlier was also over there. He hesitated briefly before walking over there, but they needed that crate.

"Hey," he said gruffly as he strode towards them, "I need that crate you're sitting on."

-----

Why had she said? What had she been thinking? Reach's mind went into a short tailspin as she thought about just how few people had ever known about her ability in her entire life. She had been very careful, she'd had to be. There were plenty out there who would think to use her abilities for their own purposes. With a sickening twist in her stomach she began to wonder if that was why they had been brought here...

"Y...yes," she said to Wire, her eyes closing briefly as she tried to quell her fear, trying to focus on the conversation, "Its...unpleasant when it happens with people. Everything is...jumbled, objects are...cleaner." Her voice faltered, but she felt a spark of pride in herself for managing to speak at all about this. If everyone here had an ability and that was indeed why they were all here, it seemed unwise to try denying anything.

"Like mental manipulation?" she inquired, her tone genuinely curious.

Before there could be any answer, however, the large Asian male from earlier came walking up to them. Reach's heart slammed in her throat when he spoke, but she managed to keep enough wits about her to stand up from the crate and step aside, pressing herself against the stone wall. Her eyes were wide as saucers again, her hands shaking at her sides.
Creativity
Level 71
Cutely Creative
Posted: 6/29/2018 at 10:04 PM Post #18
It was the same old thing. Being treated like she was more than she was. Like she was less than she was. Brain was tired of it. Tired of other people defining her. Who had the right to decide what she was going to be? Who she was going to be? How should anyone beside her have that right? A memory flashed at the forefront of her mind, one of the many hundreds that constantly plagued her at each second that she saw something, each sight bringing a million things to mind in this godforsaken memory.

...'God has no place on Earth for a creature like you! Cursed with memory but too stupid to do anything about it!'...

...Then there was Tox! By the fire in her father's eyes, she swore that he seemed different than the others. She thought he was going to be someone who understood, who wouldn't treat her like she knew everything in the world.

And even with her newfound (albeit brief, she suspected - after all, she had had temporary fits like this before) resentment for the green-haired piece of well-cooked beef, the very thought of him being near her and the sight of him retreating as she threw a second glance backwards was enough to make her heart pound. How dare he affect her so!

She hunched her shoulders and walked ever faster towards the dispensary - that was the only place she could think to go. Maybe Dr. Jezschaououghenn would be free for talking. Maybe... If not, she would have to recover on her own, without any healing, heated discussion about religion and how it serves more a curse than a blessing.

-

The woman, Reach, had seemed, if for a moment, tense, before she relaxed the slightest degree that she had reverted again. But it was interesting, as if Wire could sense the very wheels churning in Reach's mind. Her own heart was racing in her chest at having just revealed the information what she most feared being controlled for, like her pigheaded brother had done since she was too young to go against it.

But it felt almost lighter, telling someone. As if she were finally accepting, by revealing what she could do, that the very such Ability was what got her out of her old life in the first place. It was not her own volition, but it definitely had a subtle taste of bitter revenge to it, nestled in deeply with the sweet salvation and citrus-y confusion that the situation had aroused. Some hint of bitter revenge, for that which her brother had so desperately relied on was that which had betrayed him.

She had been so preoccupied in her thoughts that she almost didn't hear when Reach began speaking again, but was quick to return from her mind and rejoin reality. She instantly scowled at the woman's question of her Ability, though, and was about to say something when they were so rudely interrupted. And, look at that! The intruder was none other than the flaunting donkey that had commanded them earlier.

Scowl still in place, Wire returned her gaze to Reach, intending to answer before addressing the invader. "That is an ugly word. Manipulation. I do not like it." She cocked her head to the side. "I suspect I am about as fond of my own Ability as you seem to be regarding yours."

Her head turned towards the peacock man, and her scowl deepened ever more. "We did not invite you, weeaboo. Perhaps you should leave without your crate and propose a kinder way to enter our conversation. Go. Start it over. Go and then come back, introduce yourself, and ask to see the crate," she demanded, and then turned her head away with a scoff. "And the rest of the world call my people barbarians..." she couldn't help muttering.
Britters
Level 72
The Eggstraordinaire
Posted: 6/29/2018 at 11:46 PM Post #19
Tox didn't consider himself a cruel or violent individual. He intimidated people with a combination of his demeanor and his harsh tones. However, he could really be a jerk. He had a lot of resentment towards the world, and towards people. He had been thrown to the gutter, made to eat out of garbage cans and later made to do unspeakable things just to survive. So no, he was not inherently a nice person, and it showed...often.

Brown eyes pierced into Wire, Tox's jaw worked as he let her words flow over and through him. This whole place was filled with different personalities, different levels of hot-headedness, and he had had many...issues with others in the past, mostly when he had first arrived. It had been necessary for him to curb his own attitude. It wasn't because he felt the need to be nicer, it was simply a matter of survival. The entire compound functioned on a careful balance, a status quo, and to maintain it they all needed to "get along".

"Tox," he stated, very plainly, his voice sounded as though it had been forced out through gritted teeth, "This is Fang." He nodded pointedly at the vivdly colored Cobra coiled around his arm, who was eyeing the pair of women quite intently. "I do not have time to...start over. But feel free to call be a barbarian." He stepped forward and picked up the crate with ease. He nodded to both Wire and Reach, a mature gesture on his part he felt, and stomped away at speed. He needed to put distance between himself and that dark-skinned woman before his self-control tore itself into shreds.

-----

Men were a problem for Reach, she was very aware of this. She knew exactly why Tox frightened her so, but it didn't make it any easier to stand there, nearly shaking from fear, and try to talk herself down from such a reaction. She could only vaguely hear Wire responding to him and she chose to focus on Wire's face, to ground herself. Slowly, as Tox said his peace and began to walk away, she finally could feel her heart rate return to a normal rate (well, for her anyway). When he had finally retreated she let out a large breath, as though she had been holding it, and slid down the wall until she was sitting on the ground.

"Thank you," she breathed out, closing her eyes briefly, "For dealing with him...thank you." She ran a shaking hand through her thick, wavy hair and tried to reel herself back in. It was not an easy thing to do, but she had to try hard because this was not her comfortable London flat. This was her new life.

"I didn't meant to use the term manipulation negatively," she explained, clinging to their previous conversation like a lifeline, "But I can most certainly understand being uncomfortable with your ability. Touching someone's mind, in any way, is...messy." She said this last word as though it was the worst thing in the entire world, and to Reach it truly was.
Creativity
Level 71
Cutely Creative
Posted: 6/30/2018 at 8:57 AM Post #20
To say that Wire was pleased when the big brute of a man - Tox, that's what he had said - walked off after greeting them and introducing himself and his odd snake, as she had instructed, well, that would be an understatement. She beamed in triumph, especially since her new companion's sudden tenseness when he was around did not go unnoticed, though she did choose not to verbally acknowledge it, if only to save the skittish girl some grace.

But still, even as Tox stalked off with the crate, Wire turned to face Reach again, grin still spread across her face. "Although, he did not ask our names. How impolite," she laughed, shaking her head mirthfully. When Reach seemingly wanted to return to their previous conversation, though, she cleared her throat and listened intently to what the pale-haired girl was saying.

Wire hummed in agreement at the use of the word 'messy'. Her gaze travelled back down to the ground, fixated on some root sticking out of the dirt. She lightly toed it with her foot, all laughter gone from her features now.

"A fitting word," she murmured. "Though your Ability seems to be much more scary than mine," her voice was a bit louder this time. "I suppose that, in the wrong hands, well, voice, mine could be used for many dastardly things, and... That is not really something I like to consider. I like to consider myself a good person, you know?"

She was surprised at herself, opening up in this way. But perhaps there was something about this Reach, something that made her so trustworthy. As if she had more secrets than Wire could ever have. And considering she had kept all those secrets for as long as she might have, Wire reasoned that Reach likely wouldn't care about hers. Besides... It felt good getting it out in the open. As if she didn't have to hide herself behind her brother's wrath anymore.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3... 52, 53, 54
This Page loaded in 0.013 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.