Players 2,541 413
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,205,120 843
Generated 653,649 74
Captured 1,186,817 93
Bred 6,364,562 676
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Games, Contests, and Giveaways > ~Writing Contest for Great Authors! 2017...
Page 1 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Threads: 113
Posted: 10/21/2017 at 7:50 PM Post #1
2017 Writing contest!

Welcome one, welcome all to this writing contest! I have decided to start hosting these contests for, all you great authors out there, and yearly, if I can! It is a bit late this year, but nevertheless! Let's do this!

Do you love writing and have a passion for it? You've found the right place!

How this works:
Depending on how many people participate, this contest will have a couple of rounds. It will work in an elimination kind of way, where each round a couple of people are out, and the rest continue on to the next round! If you manage to get to the finals, you will get a prize! The winner, of course, will get the best prize, but there will be runner ups! Each round there will be different themes and sometimes poems will be required.

So, what is the prize? Well, you get tons of respect from me, definitely and probably a lot of other people. You get lots of fun out of this, at least you should. The final prize would be probably an amount of gold, avatar items, or even pets! Every person in the final round will get an offspring of their choice from my pets, and the final prize will change every year.

This year, I was thinking of something around 40k gold and maybe some themed pets.

Rules
- Have fun above everything else!
- Please write accordingly to the theme or what is required
- As long as I can understand your story, it's okay. Which means, try to use the correct grammar and spelling.
- Keep it appropriate!
- Blood and Gore is okay, including other stuff that might be triggering. But if you do write about it, you MUST put a warning beforehand.
- Don't be mad if you didn't make it into the next round; there will be a next year!
- You may edit your story as much as you want before the allotted time
- Any changes or submissions after the time limit will be ignored
- If someone does not enter a story before the alloted time, they will be automatically eliminated
- Under the condition that in the final round, nobody enters a story, I will be choosing a random person from the previous round and giving a reward, but the reward will not be the final prize

Participant list

Dragongem23
Livinginmyownreality
Foxee223
Pickless
Fengarii
Skyraven
Dracornpotato
Griffinlokison
Aurusei
Flute

ROUND ONE
Round one ends the tenth of November, 12 PM game time!
You must write ONE of the three following:
- Write a fantasy story with the theme: Loss
- Write a two paragraphs on your opinion on new technology
- Write a realistic fiction of any type you want

ROUND TWO
Round two ends the second of December, 12 PM game time!
Write ONE of the following:
- Steampunk/Sci-fi crossover
- A story of a character having a dream and somewhere in the story include a flying pig and a blue fish (<The pig and fish don't have to be major characters)
- A story with exactly 743 words

ROUND THREE - FINALS
Ends December 31, 12PM game time!
Write ONE of the following:
-A 4-6 stanza rhyming poem about the end of the world
-Dystopian story with the element of a fake Eutopia
-Winter is coming, and it is a time of death, coldness, ice, and yet it is a time of life, warmth, and fire. Use these elements to write a story of two characters, one on the side of death, cold, and ice, and one on life, warmth, and fire. The six keywords must appear somewhere in your story at least once!

Edited By Dragonrider1542 on 12/22/2017 at 4:17 AM.
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Posted: 10/21/2017 at 8:11 PM Post #2
ROUND ONE Participants
Dragongem23 - Story entered
Livinginmyownreality - Story entered
Foxee223 - Story entered
Pickless - Story entered
Fengarii - Story entered
Skyraven - Story entered
Dracornpotato - Story entered
Griffinlokison - Story entered
Aurusei - Story entered
Flute - Story entered

ROUND TWO Participants
Livinginmyownreality - Story entered
Pickless - Story entered
Skyraven - Story entered
Dracornpotato - Story entered
Aurusei - Story entered
Flute - Story entered

ROUND THREE Participants
Aurusei - Story entered
Flute - no entry
Dracornpotato - no entry

Edited By Dragonrider1542 on 12/22/2017 at 3:50 AM.
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Posted: 10/21/2017 at 8:34 PM Post #3
Reserved
Dragongem23
Level 63
The Tender
Threads: 254
Posted: 10/21/2017 at 9:08 PM Post #4
I would love to do it!

Going to do the realistic fantasy

Survivor

Ariella's parents pushed her into the bomb shelter behind her house,they ran back inside to grab her younger brother.She hid under the pillow on the cot as she heard the bomb drop.The ground shook,she whimpered in fear.After the shaking stopped she slowly crawled outside and saw the remnants of her house.Eventually she found a Jewish family that took her in.Soon the Nazi's came and killed the people that had taken her in,they tried to kill her too.But she fought back.After she beat them she Vowed to help fight against them at all cost.She disguised herself as a man and joined the army.After fighting many battle the war was won.She died happily after marrying another soldier and having 3 kids and 6 grandkids.She was A survivor of WW2 and she fought for the ones she lost.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 293
Posted: 10/21/2017 at 9:24 PM Post #5
Realistic Fiction - based on children who live with rebel groups in Syria fighting back against their government. (Their 'president' is pretty much a Dictator, also this was inspired by a documentary i watched about children in Syria, very interesting if you want the link I can send it)

Gore warning

The small girl huddled in her bed, glancing out the window from time to time. Sheets flapped in the area just near her window acting as sniper blinds. Just over the top of the sheets she could see the sky. Flashes of exploding shells could be seen. They looked almost like fireworks but she knew better. Tonight they were closer then usual. Quietly she crawled out of her bed and walked too her mothers room. The room was dark with no lights. She shook her mother's shoulder, "Mother the shells are closer then normal should we go downstairs?". Her mother yawned and rubbed her eyes, almost instantly alert. "Get your sister, your father is fighting so it will be just us," her voice had a worried tone to it. The small girl nodded, darting away from her mother to get her sister. She shook the older girl's shoulder, waking her up. "Come, the shells are close and Father is away fighting." The older girl nodded, silent. The two of them went to their mother and with a silent nod all three of them ran. Above them the sky was lit up with explosions, shaking the ground beneath their feet. Slowly they stopped to a fast walk as they reach the over hang of a building with a hole in the side of it. The three of them dart in, knowing if they didn't soon life could end for them. They had done this a thousand times. Nothing had ever happened. The smallest girl gave a terrified shreek when she looked back. A bomb was coming. She dove to the side. Her mother sister were to late. A bright flash and then nothing. The small girl crawled out of her little hiding hole. The wall had saved her but her sister and mother weren't so lucky. The running feet of her father could be heard in the distance. With a choked sob the little girl started to cry. No more shells exploded, everything was quiet except for the running feet of a scared father and the sobbing of a little girl.
Foxee223
Level 46
Threads: 25
Posted: 10/21/2017 at 10:43 PM Post #6
what does loss mean? and i would love to join
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Posted: 10/21/2017 at 10:48 PM Post #7
Loss is a bit hard to explain. Basically, something really important is lost, such as lives of loved ones, freedom, your country. Basically stuff like that.
Foxee223
Level 46
Posted: 10/21/2017 at 10:53 PM Post #8
oh ok thank you :d
Foxee223
Level 46
Posted: 10/21/2017 at 11:51 PM Post #9
I'm writing realistic fiction based on a real story in Turkey.

I WILL ADD WHEN MORE IDEAS COME INTO MY MIND :0

Moving Out

"Kamal are you all packed up?" said a voice in a rush, BOOM! another bomb landed on Syria. It was a chaos; people running around trying to save them selves, Fog filled up the whole place. "Yes mom" Kamal said racing down stairs with two full bags. The women with black long clothing glanced at Kamal, she gave him a small hug and pushed him to the door, "go boy! yallah!" she shouted. Kamal opened the big glass door and ran out as fast as he could to the train station. Planes on the air, people dead on the floor, it was scary. cold air shivered his body, he couldn't see what was coming for him. all he heard was screams and guns. finally he arrived into a big group of kids, ages seven to seventeen, maybe? "Kamal you are here! we were almost leaving with out you!" barked a man dressed like a teacher, "i -" Kamal couldn't finish his sentence but another bomb landed close.

the teacher pushed all children inside a small bus. it was tight, dark and smelly. "hey Kamal" whispered someone "yes?"

"do you know where we are going?" it was a voice of a girl, a small girl. Kamal turned his head to the girl that was sitting right next to him, her eyes were shining inside the darkness, she was frightened her body crouched up on one of the seats they were sitting on. yes, Kamal knew it wasn't the best place to travel but they had to stay strong. she was looking right into kamal's eyes searching for an answer "i do not know Aysha" Kamal looked away, he was a 15 year old boy who has never traveled far away from home, nor has he ever left his family to fight for their country. "i miss my mother Kamal, i miss her" the tears rushed down Aysha's face "don't worry, we are going to a place safer than home" Kamal put one hand on Aysha's hair, slowly combing it with his fingers. "shhh" a really deep voice came out, a man with big fluffy beard put one hand up in front of the kids, everyone was quite, like if everyone lost their voice so quickly. The men walked off the bus. "Kamal?" He turned his head back to Aysha "what's happening" she asked sticking her head out, looking at the slightly open door. "I think they are trying to let us pass" Kamal looked at his feet and looked back up. Scared faces filled the bus, everyone seemed to be hoping to be safe. After a hour or two, three men came back in. One of them made a hand sign to the driver, and kamal felt the bus moving not slow but not fast either. It was obvious he was scared like the others, but he tried hard to not show how scared he was. It smelled worst than before and the bus was so warm inside. There was shouting outside, and a man came in openings the door. "We have arrived to our first stop" the men's voice sounded like a dying bear. Everyone rushed out. At last Kamal and Aysha got out, with amazement in their eyes. Big trees and a long road. "We are not in our arrival spot but here we will rest"
Edited By Foxee223 on 10/22/2017 at 2:49 AM.
Shibui
Level 70
Nature Walker
Threads: 63
Posted: 10/22/2017 at 1:30 AM Post #10
This is a fantasy story about loss.

I apologise, but for some reason quotation marks do not work, so I hope you can still read the dialogue without too much difficulty.

Prologue:

The battle of the Elves

One battlefield, two armies
One of goodness, one of evil
Individuals standing tall
Against the terror and heartbreak
Fighting a pain that shouldnt be
Bonds broken, families shattered
Bloody corpses lining the field
Children screaming, women crying
Tears mixing within filth and dirt
No war could be victorious
Not with all the losses and death
War is pain, full of suffering
People torn apart, loved ones lost
War is not the way to fix things

It was the Zyun that started what would later be called The first Elven war. Elves didnt fight. Elves were peaceful beings. They kept to themselves. Elves didnt harbour feelings of vengeance, hate or vanity. Considering all this, why would any creature feel the need to harm them? To be truthful, there was no reason. However the Zyun thought differently. They believed that the elves held a heavenly power. That they were biding their time until they would release it on the world. The Zyun were cruel and ruthless, they wanted to experiment with the elves. Dissect them, discover all their secrets. However not all the creatures of Cerndae agreed with them. The deep dwelling, fearless dwarves disagreed. As did the majestic, scaly dragons. The slim, tough Veidors and the mesmerising, skilled Sheegyns sided with the elves. The mischievous, Pygmy Gremlins and the nature-loving dryads. No creature sided with the Zyun. The elves would surely win this battle, right? Sadly, they did not count on the cunning of their enemies. The Zyun had created a weapon. A weapon in which would be used mercilessly. One shot and the creature that it was aimed at would disintegrate. They called it the Zi Defoi. This is the weapon that provided the Zyun with the win of the war. Thousands of Elves, Dwarves, Dragons, Veidors, Sheegyns, Gremlins and Dryads were lost. Too many gone. What remained of the Elven battalion retreated. Numerous elves captured and experimented on until the were no longer of use, they were then disposed of, adding to the death count. This story is about the elves and how they handled the pain. The heartbreak. The fear as they were hunted down. One by one taken. This tells the tale of two particular elves, and a Dragon.

- Lyadrus Mistrage
Leader of the Elven Resistance

Chapter 1:

Cerndae
146pzt (Past Zyun Takeover)

~Arearcias P.o.V~

I was sitting on a fungi infested log in the middle of a small clearing. The sun was low in the sky, at about five oclock. The cool autumn breeze filtered through the trees, sticking my neck hair on end. I rubbed my upper arms as goosebumps took over the pale skin, like a parasite feasting on its prey. I looked around and spotted Thyll. He was about 40 yards away, slightly into the forest, collecting firewood. About time, I thought, its freezing.

I continued to watch him until he blindly ran into one of the redwoods. I laughed. He shot me a venomous look while rubbing his forehead. His long legs carried him towards me, into the center of the clearing. He dropped the sticks and kindling on the dirt ground and walked to Ivonouss saddle bags which held all our gear. The leather tent, water bags, flint, metal pot and spoon, wooden bowls, spices and root plant, and rope were unloaded and dumped unceremoniously onto the floor. I decided to get up and help him out, mainly because my buttocks were becoming sore. He began to stack the sticks in an inward type bowl shape and dropped bits of kindling inside it. I grabbed the pots and spices and dragged them towards his fire pit. I went back to collect the water bags.

Are there any streams near here, do you know? I asked.

Yeah, go through those trees and to the right, you should be able to sense the fishs mana. He replied, pointing towards the trees.

Ok, Im going to fill these up and collect some water to boil. I said while gesturing to the water bags and pots.

Be quick, Ivonous should be back soon.

Right, did he say what he was getting?

He said he sensed a large amount of mana, probably a large animal of some sort.

I hope its Buksharah, that would be so good! I exclaimed, I love Buksharah meat with a passion.

Nah, they are too rare. Its probably one of the D-class deer that Ive heard live around here.

Way to crush my dreams, I complained.

No problem, thats my job, He joked while winking at me.

Youre evil. Im going now. Be back in a few.

Okay, Ill set up the tents while youre gone. He called as I was walking away.

I bounced along, excited for a potentially good meal. I mean, Ive been eating plant roots and leaves for the last couple days. I havent seen meat for a week. I followed the instructions Thyll gave me and reached the stream. I tipped out the remains of the water in the water skins, which would have tasted like leather. I bent down to fill them up and then proceeded to fill the pots too. After making sure I could balance them all without anything leaking, I carefully dawdled back to the opening. I spotted Ivonous lying by the fire. Thyll was still setting up the tent, pulling ropes down and tying them to large, heavy rocks.

Did you get Buksharah? Please say yes! I chirped.

I fear it is only Deer, mlady. We should be thankful for the meat, Ive been sensing a continuous decrease in our protein levels.

Oh, ok. I was looking forward to Buksharah though. Also, for the hundredth time, stop calling me mlady. Its Arearcia. A-R-E-A-R-C-I-A, I spelt out for him.

Yes, mlady.

How have we known each other for 10 years and yet you still call me mlady even though I tell you not to?

It is natural for dragons to call their masters friends mlady or sir. Its is a sign of respect for them. I simply cannot help how I say things mlady.

Fine, what about lady Arearcia? I glared at him.

I will try mlady, I will try. He sighed and glared back.

It was silent as we death stared.

This is very entertaining, I broke the stare as I looked to Thyll, the speaker, who had wore an amused face.

I marched towards him and wrapped my hands around his throat, pretending to strangle him.

I head Ivonous let out a deep chuckle. I removed my hands when Thyll started to fake suffocation. He dropped to the floor, pretending to writhe and die, which made me laugh too. I slapped him playfully and reached out my hand to help him up.

After he had stood up and brushed off his leggings, I noticed a burning smell. I looked over to fire which the pots were hanging over. It was emitting black smoke as a piece of meat had fallen in and charred.

Who dropped the meat? That was a perfectly good chunk, that piece could have fed two elves! I exclaimed.

Thyll look puzzled but shook his head.

Wasnt me.

Me neither, mlady.

Seriously, who did it then?

Maybe it was you, Thyll answered innocently.

No, it wasnt me.

You were the one at the fire last.

Are you really accusing me?

Young master, mlady, we have plenty of- Ivonouss reasoning went unnoticed.

Yes Im accusing you.

You have no proof.

You were the last one there.

Young ones, stop th-

Thats not proof.

I dont care.

Fine.

Fine.

Im going for a walk, I said angrily and huffed off.

I heard Ivonous call me, saying something about how we should stick together. I ignored him, they could deal without me. I walked deeper into the forest until I found a hollowed out tree. I crawled inside and sat as I fumed. Why would I waste valuable meat? Why would he accuse me? I know it was a petty reason to argue about, but it made me angry. Didnt he trust me? Weve been best friends and companions for 11 years, what reason would he have not to? I continued to ponder on similar thoughts when I heard: Quick mlady, come back. We must leave immediately. That was Ivonouss mindlink, he didnt use that unless there was an emergency.

I rushed back to the clearing to find it deserted. Where are you mlady?

Im at the camp spot. Where are you? Whats wrong?

Its the Zyun.

What!?!

Yes I know, we must leave, Im heading your way now. Stay where you are.

Ok, please be quick.

For some reason, it felt like hours before I heard Ivonous approach and spotted Thyll on his back. Thyll was screaming, his words lost due to distance. He gestured behind me and I turned. I saw numerous torch lights making their way through the tightly knit trees. I saw silhouetted figures of creatures I fear the most. I froze and stared, fright clouding my sense of thought. They were getting closer, far too close. I was still standing there as the silhouettes emitted shouts as they recognised me as an elf, the kind they hunted down. There shouts were met with screaming from none other than Thyll. The Zyun were running towards me as the Thyll and Ivonous flew. I was in the middle. Who would reach me first? I really hoped it was Ivonous. The Zyun had archers who were pulling out their bows and reaching to their quiver for arrows. Ivonous was 5 yards high as he flew over me, Thyll stretching out his hand. I grabbed it and he started pulling me up. I had one hand on Ivonouss saddle when I saw a look of shock cross Thylls face. I watched in horror as he slowly toppled off Ivonouss back, a prominent arrow through his midsection.

I screamed as he fell down. Down towards the ground. Down to the Zyun.

I dont know how long I was screaming for. Was it just as Thyll fell? When he hit the ground with a sickening thud? When I took in his mangled limbs and arrow wound? When I thought he would die? I had no sense of time during these moments. Just continuous screaming and horrifying scenes.

Finally, after the Zyun began to cautiously approach us, did I stop. Ivonous began to fly in circles around Thylls body. Making a barrier. I was about to jump down and save Thyll when one of the Zyun shouted.

Stay where you are. We have the Zi Defoi, we will shoot.

I looked to where he stood, lesser ranked soldiers milling around an object that I could not see. They dispersed once the Zyun that had originally shouted gave them a gesture.

As they dispersed, I took in the most dangerous weapon that Cerndae had ever encountered. It was one of the Zi Defoi, in which they called it. It was one of the weapons that the Zyun produced and defeated elves like myself with in the First Elven War.

Move out of the way or I will shoot. Dismount now!

I heard him shout again. I began trembling, knowing things would get a lot uglier than they were. I was still shuddering when Ivonous swiftly shot off the ground and into the air. He started soaring at his fastest.

I stared back at the clearing, seeing Thylls still body. I was still in shock. He was leaving Thyll. We were abandoning him. I was abandoning him.

I began screaming again, clawing at Ivonouss scales and shrieking at him to go back.

We cant leave Thyll! What are you doing?!? We have to go back and save him!

Mlady, we are heavily outnumbered, we must retreat.

So we live and Thyll dies?!? How is that fair!?!

They are not going to kill him immediately. They will experiment on him.

And thats so much better, how?

It gives us time to rally some troops from base and rescue him. Now we must leave!

But-

We are leaving. Its what Young Master Thyllrand would want. We will come back for him. I swear.

Thyll! Well be back for you! I promise!! I shouted down to him. He didnt move, still unconscious. I began sobbing, he never looked this vulnerable. It was unlike him so much.

I continued sobbing as Ivonous started soaring higher into the sky, away from the forest. Away from Thyll. Away from my friend, companion...lover?
Edited By Pickless on 10/24/2017 at 9:28 PM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.