Forum Index > Suggestion Box > Free Spot/Free Tree/Dumping Ground
Page 1 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
MourningLily
Level 65
The Eggstraordinaire
Threads: 59
Posted: 12/27/2016 at 6:37 PM Post #1
Not sure if this has been suggested yet, but thought it was worth mentioning. If it has been suggested, feel free to lock and delete ;)

I wish we had a place we could dump the things we no longer want and/or that have very little resale value - where people people could then grab it if they want. Several other games have a place like this...

So for all those random nightfall outfits/staffs/swords, gnarled vines, swirling snows, philters, etc we could 'donate' them to the free area and then others could pick one item from there once a day or once an hour or whatever. It'd be a way to get these things out of our inventory rather than just throwing them away/'selling' them from our inventory for 0 gold. We could even donate unwanted pets there.

And hey, a newbie might be able to get their hands on something they might find useful!

Thoughts?
Edited By MourningLily on 12/27/2016 at 11:49 PM.
Whitefang2468
Level 16
The Sweet Tooth
Threads: 20
Posted: 12/27/2016 at 9:40 PM Post #2
I like this idea! It's a lot better than just selling unwanted items or putting them on the broker, where no one will buy them anyway.
Flute
Level 70
Enchanted Explorer
Threads: 340
Posted: 12/28/2016 at 5:17 AM Post #3
I feel like this is coupled with the same thought process as the pound ideas, but just lumped together with items. o:

Which isn't bad, though I want to also bring in some input from my experience with Furvilla's Giving Tree, Aywas's Donation Box, and my vague memories of the Neopet's tree way back when.

Foreseeable issues or suggestions with this sort of feature:

- overflooding of unwanted items/pets, leaving no visibility for actual items of worth, and easily devaluating whatever the site community overproduces
(can you imagine thousands of gnarled vines across the free tree page? lol)

- because of the issue above, community may feel the need to create initiatives to "clean up the dump/tree", dedicating time to gathering and discarding devalued items
(this is remniscient of releasing contests, where people bought up the pets and released em, which caused tensions; from an automated site view, having the tree automatically empty itself/release the unwanted pets after a certain amount of time might help keep the tree from having the same old junk/pets staying around and cluttering view)

- having items stack would be a great benefit, instead of displaying each item individually -- each player can only take one item and that's okay
(however, this may be different for pets, as each pet is unique; might need to separate pages between items and pets)

- items that were overproduced from seasonal events may stay there after the seasonal event ends, which can clutter the area with irrelevant items unless cleaned

- anonymity versus giving credit to whoever donated to the tree/dump - I prefer having both options!

- small, non-gamebreaking rewards for donating towards the tree/dump would be nice as well; not too much of a reward to warrant spamming with junk, but enough for a nice thank you?

Overall, with mindful implementation, I think that this could be a nice feature. ^^
Catalina323
Level 62
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 50
Posted: 1/5/2017 at 10:25 PM Post #4
i like it!
Jade07
Level 50
The Artistic
Threads: 219
Posted: 1/14/2017 at 11:25 AM Post #5
love it if i had room i could get the puffadoor breeding par and rory pair i always wanted also maybe we could donate gold too i could easily pick up the scrap gold and buy myself a new stable
Savynn
Level 75
Sweet Solver
Threads: 214
Posted: 1/14/2017 at 12:06 PM Post #6
The thing I've been thinking about lately is going back to a wishlist idea. I think wishlists have been suggested before but I was trying to hammer out in my head a modified version of it with avatar items. What I had so far was only being able to add avatar items to a wishlist that are not already in your wardrobe (and maybe even inventory). That way, you can easily send people items that they want and do not have. It would make gift giving a lot more convenient. Just not sure if it's worthy or not of it's on suggestion thread as it is. And setting it up so that only avatar items a person does not own already being added to the list, would make it more difficult to hoard items for them to sell later.
Edited By Savynn on 1/14/2017 at 12:06 PM.
Jillyana
Level 61
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 27
Posted: 1/15/2017 at 1:21 AM Post #7
I remember this from Neopets. and it was HORRIBLE! The only thing that ended up there was pets that noone wanted as well as stuff that noone wanted. This is basicly just an idea that screams "I want to apear genrous so I will put this here". If you want to help newer players just look up new players and offer to help them trhough a email. If you want spare gold, sell the junk and releace the unwanted pets so you dont have to feed them. This is not necesarry at all and just takes up space on the server. Even if the tree is cleaned up with a frequent it takes a lot of memory and serves no real purpose other then making players feel genrous by offering what can only be called as "junk".

No suport from me im afraid.
Lokiarti
Level 61
Threads: 107
Posted: 1/17/2017 at 12:20 PM Post #8
I think wishlists, as said above, would be a better idea.
Carrotbae
Level 67
Fancy Pants
Threads: 158
Posted: 1/17/2017 at 6:41 PM Post #9
Hmmm... I think maybe just giving a random item out might be better, since a lot of players would spam refresh to get what they want. So, the tree would become worthless really fast. Because if I donate a prismatic philter, someones just going to look for that item, not leaving it for someone else. So, a surprise item might be better.

Next thing, instead of letting everyone throw junk there, limit it to donating, like, 5 items a day. That should be plenty to keep the tree full. And let people get something out 4 times a day (every 6 items) that way it stays stocked, but not over stocked.

Another point: Only let so many items be in the junkyard. For example, if I go to donate something an error message might pop up saying "Tree Full: The giving tree is filled with 1000 items, come back later when the tree has room". Or, if you are donating armor and its 'full' give a message of "Armory Full: The giving tree's armory is currently full, come back later when the tree has room.". This way the tree doesn't become un balanced with too much of something.

I also would not give a reward for donating. People might see it as a way to get quick money for pets/items. I mean, even 50 gold might be too much. I could breed a lot of eggs, and just sell them off for 50 gold. 100 pets = 5000 gold. That would add up fast and OP the economy.

----------------------------------------------

So I think maybe a wish list would be better for the time being.
Kirarose
Level 60
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 13
Posted: 1/28/2017 at 6:26 PM Post #10
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=42217&page=1#3
Author: Flute
Time Posted: 12/28/2016 at 5:17 AM
I feel like this is coupled with the same thought process as the pound ideas, but just lumped together with items. o:

Which isn't bad, though I want to also bring in some input from my experience with Furvilla's Giving Tree, Aywas's Donation Box, and my vague memories of the Neopet's tree way back when.

Foreseeable issues or suggestions with this sort of feature:

- overflooding of unwanted items/pets, leaving no visibility for actual items of worth, and easily devaluating whatever the site community overproduces
(can you imagine thousands of gnarled vines across the free tree page? lol)

- because of the issue above, community may feel the need to create initiatives to "clean up the dump/tree", dedicating time to gathering and discarding devalued items
(this is remniscient of releasing contests, where people bought up the pets and released em, which caused tensions; from an automated site view, having the tree automatically empty itself/release the unwanted pets after a certain amount of time might help keep the tree from having the same old junk/pets staying around and cluttering view)

- having items stack would be a great benefit, instead of displaying each item individually -- each player can only take one item and that's okay
(however, this may be different for pets, as each pet is unique; might need to separate pages between items and pets)

- items that were overproduced from seasonal events may stay there after the seasonal event ends, which can clutter the area with irrelevant items unless cleaned

- anonymity versus giving credit to whoever donated to the tree/dump - I prefer having both options!

- small, non-gamebreaking rewards for donating towards the tree/dump would be nice as well; not too much of a reward to warrant spamming with junk, but enough for a nice thank you?

Overall, with mindful implementation, I think that this could be a nice feature. ^^

I love this plan and I think it would clear up most of the problems of having a drop box
as for the pet drop box I think it would be good if you could search through the pets by species, color, traits, and gender.
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.