Forum Index > Games, Contests, and Giveaways > Name This Puppy Win Perfume
Page 3 1, 2, 3, 4 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Celuwen
Level 60
Mojo Master
Threads: 10
Posted: 12/15/2015 at 4:36 PM Post #21
Just a note, finding a decent set of names that didn't involve smoking (either legal or otherwise) has been tricky. ;) Pro-tip, don't search for water puff.

I eventually found something though: Aircraft nicknames. It doesn't give you the Puff at the end, but it does offer a huge list of possibilities. Plus you could customise them slightly, thus: Aardvark, the nosy Puff, etc.

Anyway, here's the list: Yes, apparently Puff the Magic Dragon is also an Aircraft nickname. :)

So I learnt something new with this, SpaceElf.
SpaceElf1
Level 75
Ghost Writer
Threads: 673
Posted: 12/15/2015 at 5:42 PM Post #22
Aaaarrrggggghhhhh!

I thought I'd found his name--and the naming pattern--but then someone else made a suggestion of name and pattern before I could post that the contest was over. And I looked at that suggestion and thought, "I've found his name and the naming patte--waitaminute...."

Esylana suggested further plays upon the song "Puff the Magic Dragon," and showed me that there are a lot more ways to play upon that song than I ever realized. This list shows the pattern:

Puff's Magic Dragon
Jackie the Dragon's Friend
Anemone of Honali
Fancy Stuff Puff
Sea Puff's Tail
Magic the Paper Dragon
Paper the Magic Puff
Frolic the Magic Puff
Autumn Mist

But then Celuwen reminded me that "Puff the Magic Dragon" is an aircraft's nickname, which allows for all sorts of naming possibilities based on aircraft nicknames plus a description implied by the named. Celuwen linked to an list of aircraft nicknames and gave a "starter" name: Aardvark the Nosy Puff. Here's a link to that list: http://web.mit.edu/btyung/www/nickname.html As you can see, there are all sorts of names that lend themselves to being used in the pattern: Pinball the Kinetic Puff; Thud the Power Puff; Little Hummer the Vocal Puff; etc.

Side note to Celuwen: I not only knew about the airplane (also nicknamed "Spooky"), I once witnessed it in operation. Believe me, once was enough; that gunship is seriously frightening.

So now what do I do? I've gone from having no ideas to having two great ideas.

So--

First, Celuwen and Esylana each get a Perfume of Themed Attraction. Fair's fair, and you both knocked it out of the park.

Second, if you were pinged for this announcement, thank you very much for participating.

Third, if you were pinged for this post or for the very first post, please vote on which names and naming pattern I should use. I honestly can't to decide between them.

(Special thanx to Evilmaracas for linking to a useful list of all sorts of dragons and for reminding me about Custard the Vengeful. )

(For Mewsalot: Scintilla.)
PhoenixTalon
Level 60
The Majestic
Threads: 12
Posted: 12/15/2015 at 7:11 PM Post #23
Edit: Lol i was too late >.< stupid me
Edited By PhoenixTalon on 12/15/2015 at 7:12 PM.
SpaceElf1
Level 75
Ghost Writer
Threads: 673
Posted: 12/15/2015 at 7:13 PM Post #24
Not stupid, Phoenix; I should have put that the contest is now over, except for the voting, in an edit on the first post. I have now fixed this.
PhoenixTalon
Level 60
The Majestic
Threads: 12
Posted: 12/15/2015 at 7:16 PM Post #25
Lol I suppose... if there were honor rolls in my school i would have high honors (but i mean when u spend every nanosecond of your free time on a computer shouldn't u be moved up in tech class..?)
Amarok
Level 75
Fancy Pants
Threads: 105
Posted: 12/15/2015 at 8:08 PM Post #26
They are both very good naming schemes! It is a little difficult to vote, but here I go:

I choose Esylana's naming theme and the puff's name to be Jackie the Dragon's friend.

Because Dragon the Magic Puff + Jackie the Dragon's Friend has a very nice ring to it.

And although the aeroplane theme that Celuwen suggested is pretty cool, I think it is more suited for Aurelons. (come to think of it, that could be an idea for an AW Aurleon project or something...)
Esylana
Level 70
Enchanted Explorer
Posted: 12/15/2015 at 8:50 PM Post #27
Glad I could help!

That said, I abstain from voting - I don't feel like that'd be fair on my part. :P

And again, thank you so much for hosting this - I like coming up with names for pets. ^_^
Celuwen
Level 60
Mojo Master
Posted: 12/16/2015 at 4:49 AM Post #28
Oh cheers Space. :D

I was reading up on "Spooky", it was scary enough just to read. I can't imagine seeing it in person. I did find it fascinating though and ended up sucked into the topic for the evening. Just like the cute Axolotls. :)

Glad you've got lots of naming choices! I do love naming pets. :)

(I won't vote either, btw, as it seems a bit wrong)
GryffonJoieaux
Level 65
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 25
Posted: 12/16/2015 at 6:53 AM Post #29
I'll break the ice with a vote. :) I love Celuwen's idea. It's quirky and completely different from anything I could have expected. I've no idea which one to choose for the puff in question, though. Maybe Tinkertoy the Fancy Puff?
Trixxy
Level 35
The Majestic
Threads: 2
Posted: 12/25/2015 at 10:55 PM Post #30
Puff the magic dragon!! AVPM!!
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.