Players 2,356 356
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,256,924 1,133
Generated 656,451 15
Captured 1,191,067 33
Bred 6,409,311 1,085
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Games, Contests, and Giveaways > The Joy of Designing: Round Three - Desi...
Page 1 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
BobRoss
Level 61
Fancy Pants
Threads: 102
Posted: 5/6/2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1
The Joy of Designing: Round Three - Designs
Ends 5/20

Workshop Two: Coming Soon!

This a closed contest to those who made it through the application process. A big congratulations to all the applicants that made it into the competition! I can't wait to see what exciting things you come up with. (:

General Contest Information

The third round will kick off today (5/6). You will have until the Sunday after next (5/20) at 11:59pm to submit designs for the round once it is posted. The week after will be just for voting. But! I will release the prompt or theme for the next round at the start of the voting thread so you have around two weeks to work on your designs. It will alternate design/voting/design/voting... However, this means there is potential for you to work on these designs early, but be eliminated via the voting round.

Voting - please do not reveal your designs to anyone until voting is over! Revealing your designs or getting your friends to vote for your design set will result in an automatic elimination. This means don't submit these designs in other contest and please don't submit them publicly on the generator! Everyone will receive 3 votes. You may vote for three different designs/design sets. You may not put all three votes on one set, but you may elect to vote for less than 3. All applicants are allowed to vote, but! You may not vote for your own design. I will know who's design belongs to who - so no sneaky stuff. :P YOU MAY NOT CHANGE YOUR VOTE IF YOU'VE ALREADY VOTED - there will be no edits allowed. Please let me know if you'd like to be pinged for the voting threads!

Workshops - I will be hosting a workshop during each voting week. These workshops are designed to help you learn some fun tips and tricks about designing as well as give back to the community some as well. People in the contest and out of the contest are welcome to participate in these workshops! Those from our contest who participate will be awarded an extra vote for the next round. I will specify which round it applies to in the workshop description to eliminate confusion. The second workshop will be released today after this thread goes live.

Questions - If you have any questions please send me a private message and do not post them in this thread. Please put The Joy of Designing: Round Three - Questions in the subject line. This is because I don't want any questions relevant to the designs created to affect the blind vote.

Round Themes - I will detail around 3 designs that fall into a theme for each week. It will be less writing intensive than the application though - perhaps a couple sentences here and there.

Submission Information

Official Submissions - Upon completing your designs, I ask you DO NOT save them to the generator publicly! This is very important as it ruins the blind vote. Send them to me via a PM with the subject line The Joy of Designing: Round Two - Designs. Please submit the image links with a size of 250. Please don't submit them to your moderator as the moderators were only being used in the application process.

Late Submissions - I understand life happens and things get in the way! What I have decided to do is allow submissions past the deadline through the voting week, but! The voting thread will be up within 24 hours of the submission deadline. If you submit past that time, you risk losing out on votes because the voting thread will still be going up on time. I.E. If you submit late - the voting still goes up, but your submissions will be added to it later. Thus, some people may have already voted.

Early submissions - meaning you submit up to 24 hours before the deadline - I will happily give you feedback on and allow you a resubmission as long as it is still in before the deadline. You may not ask for advice and then submit the revised designs past the deadline. Your original set will be used.

Round Three Theme - Literature

This round is the opposite of the last round. You will not have picture references available to you. Instead, you must use literature and your imagination as your guide in the creation of your designs. Perhaps these designs seem redundant, however, they are designed to push the boundaries of your imagination in different ways. One is going to focus on imaginative landscapes, one on characters, and lastly something that represents a theme at work at the heart of literature. I will post a list of potential poems, books, and themes below to help any of those who might struggle to find one. If you need help with this design, please keep in mind I am happy to help give feedback and advice as long as you submit up to one day before the deadline of May 20th! Please use different species for each design set!

Design Set 1 - For this design set, I ask you create an identical design pair based on a character, human or creature, featured in poetry or literature - I only ask that the contents of the work be kept Sylestia friendly! Please include a link to the poem, a small excerpt you based your design off of, or title of the work if you used the whole piece of literature to create your design when you submit.

Design Set 2 - For this design set, I ask you create an identical design pair based on a setting featured in poetry or literature - I only ask that the contents of the work be kept Sylestia friendly! Please include a link to the poem, a small excerpt you based your design off of, or title of the work if you used the whole piece of literature to create your design when you submit.

Design Set 3 - For this design set, I ask you select a popular theme or archetype found in poetry or literature - again being Sylestia friendly - and create a pair based off of it. This pair does not have to be identical in design or species!

I can't wait to see what you all come up with! Because this is posted early, you get two weeks to work, however, there is the possibility of being eliminated in round two's voting round - so please keep this is mind!
Edited By BobRoss on 5/6/2018 at 7:00 PM.
BobRoss
Level 61
Fancy Pants
Posted: 5/6/2018 at 5:24 PM Post #2
List of Potential Poems:

The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe
The White Doe by Petrarch
She Walks in Love by Lord Byron
Ozymandias by Percy Shelley
The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost
The Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll
Invictus by William Henley
Shel Silverstein poems are also fabulous :P

List of Potential Literature:

Frankenstein
Til We Have Faces
Alice In Wonderland
Les Miserables
The Importance of Being Earnest
Hamlet
Dr. Seuss Books

List of Potential Themes:

Human vs Nature
Duality
Own Worst Enemy
Redemption
Faith vs Doubt
Fate and free will
Pride and downfall

Edited By BobRoss on 5/6/2018 at 6:58 PM.
Dinnerbone
Level 75
The Artistic
Threads: 40
Posted: 5/6/2018 at 11:36 PM Post #3
pinging self as a reminder!
Fiolei
Level 75
Fancy Pants
Threads: 71
Posted: 5/7/2018 at 7:43 AM Post #4
just a ping to remind self as my memory is worse than a goldfish
Aamore
Level 70
Wondrous Witch
Threads: 66
Posted: 5/7/2018 at 7:58 AM Post #5

This might have been mentioned somewhere within your post but I could not find it. I was simply wondering if we were allowed to us personal pieces of literature for these entrees. I could show you what literature I am talking of so you can decided whether it is allowed or not if you wish. I was simply wondering. ^ ^
( I had something else to ask you but I completely and totally forgot so I might be pinging you at another time )
BobRoss
Level 61
Fancy Pants
Posted: 5/7/2018 at 4:43 PM Post #6
You absolutely may use your own personal literature - though if you do, I recommend posting a link to it, a snippet of it, or synopsis so voters are really able to get a feel for where your design is coming from. (:
Aamore
Level 70
Wondrous Witch
Posted: 5/11/2018 at 8:14 AM Post #7

Bump
Aamore
Level 70
Wondrous Witch
Posted: 5/15/2018 at 9:01 PM Post #8

I am just telling you beforehand, but, I might have to withdraw from this contest. They are picking up school owned laptops tomorrow due to school coming to an end. Sadly, I have no other device than a VERY slow tablet to access Sylestia on. It's truly saddening. Anyways, just wanted to let you know this in case I randomly disappeared. This contest has been SO much fun to partake in and I really hope I can continue to participate in it.
Dinnerbone
Level 75
The Artistic
Threads: 40
Posted: 5/15/2018 at 10:26 PM Post #9
By literature and poetry, you didn't mention anything about being in print, so it can be anything right? Characters from stories written by friends, and so on?
Edited By Dinnerbone on 5/15/2018 at 10:26 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 293
Posted: 5/19/2018 at 10:42 AM Post #10
When will the designing portion end? I didnt design any because I was waiting to see who made it to the next round, do we have longer or is it still the same deadline?
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.