Forum Index > Suggestion Box > Purebred Tags [can it be done?]
Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Kyokai
Level 60
The Majestic
Threads: 53
Posted: 1/31/2017 at 9:19 AM Post #1
I know this has been suggested for a long, long time. I've suggested it once, several others have on the forums, in chat.. But I want to -discuss- if this is even possible.

I'm talking to any of you who have any coding knowledge (for I do not.)(and anyone else who wants to chime in, of course.)

Here is my way of thinking this would work...:

Mommy Qitari and Daddy Qitari are both exclusive tagged pets. They have a gold star because they are special. (this is already the case in the lineage.)

Mommy Qitari and Daddy Qitari have a baby. Baby Qitari now gets.. idk, a blue star for having the right parents.

One day, Baby Qitari grows up and meets the Blue Starred Baby Qitari next door, they have a kid, their kid gets a blue star because gram and gramps on both sides were special. Their kids meet other Bluestars.... etc.

If original Daddy Qitari goes back to the Wilderness to find the lost temple of Qitaris and Mommy Qitari gets remarried to Bob, the regular qitari, and has a kid, the kid would -not- get a blue star.

I tried to make this simple, does it make sense? I obviously do not know how to code that or if it is possible. It SEEMS like it would be because there are already gold star designated themed pets. Couldn't a ___insert something here___ check to see if the parents had gold stars?

At first, I was thinking that this would REALLY bog the system down by the time we get to generation 62, checking hundreds and hundreds of ancestors.. But not it if this system starts from the start. Eventually at gen 62, if there are 2 Bluestars having a kid, the kid will be a Bluestar. The system wouldn't have to recheck the line because it has been doing that all this time from Origin Mommy and Daddy Qitari.

There is another idea about stars designating themes on the stable page (Supported) and this -could- coincide with that idea, too... Bluestars for Purebred Offspring.

So, anyone, does this seem like something that could work?

Edit: To clarify something real quick; I'm only talking about the lineage pictures for where to put the stars (just as actual tagged pets currently have gold/yellow stars). And then perhaps the aforementioned stable star idea. I'm not asking to put anything on any pets themselves.
Edited By Kyokai on 1/31/2017 at 10:07 AM.
Icekitsune
Level 64
Season's Greeter
Threads: 31
Posted: 2/10/2017 at 3:44 PM Post #2
According to my husband in theory this could work, however he also said that depending on the complexity of the coding that is already taking place on the back end, could just cause a huge headache to the person doing the coding (at this point my husband said that semicolons would be the death of him).

I also asked him about if it would bog down the system and he said that if the current coding is implemented correctly and efficiently then adding anything else to that current coding as long as its entered correctly and efficiently then it would not bog the system down or see any real significant difference. However if anything else new is added and not enter correctly and efficiently could cause some issues.
Edited By Icekitsune on 2/10/2017 at 3:46 PM.
Faeyla
Level 75
Trickster
Threads: 36
Posted: 2/10/2017 at 4:43 PM Post #3
One of the issues I see with this would be what if both parents are tagged, but of different themed. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to verify the initial parents are the same theme since they are tagged, but what about future offspring? How difficult would it be to keep track of pb of x theme or y theme so that any babies from two different pb themes would not have blue star babies? I'm sure it could be done, I just have no idea how much of a coding nightmare it would be. :-P

I definitely would like to see some way of being able to search for pb for breeding purposes.
Krinadon
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,114
Posted: 3/15/2017 at 6:39 AM Post #4
The issue isn't going forward, it's going backwards.

I could easily add a system that, now, on demand, tracks Purebred Offspring as they happen starting from the start.

The hard part is going backwards through our already 3 million existing pets and seeing if they should be Purebred Offspring. No matter how it's done, it would be a pain in the butt to code the algorithm to detect it and then set up the server to slowly run this parsing code probably over the course of weeks before it could catch up - maybe even months.

I can't have it work 100% because then it'd lag the server out. So I'd have to just do like a handful of pets per script run.

It's actually how the Inbred percentages work, only they are restricted to only like 9 or 12 or something generations back. Some pets are like 40+ generations at this point. I had to cut it at 9/10 because past that it literally takes like over 5 minutes or over like a GB of memory to parse.... and those are the limits I have in place.

So figuring out if a 30 generation pet is purebred would be ridiculously taxing on the server.

(Edit as a specific example. At just 10 generations back, that's 1,024 pets. However, for the inbreeding percentages, I also need to know who each of those 1,024 pets' ancestors are. It ends up to a crazy amount of pets.

Now... imagine those 30 generation pets... A 30th generation pet would theoretically have 1,073,741,824 ancestors to parse through.)

So... there's that issue.

The other issue is just simply if it's something we want to add to the game. I don't think it would necessarily be something we wouldn't want to add, but something like that would require careful consideration.
Edited By Krinadon on 3/15/2017 at 6:43 AM.
Catalina323
Level 62
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 50
Posted: 3/28/2017 at 6:05 PM Post #5
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=43265&page=1#4
Author: Krinadon
Time Posted: 3/15/2017 at 6:39 AM
The issue isn't going forward, it's going backwards.

I could easily add a system that, now, on demand, tracks Purebred Offspring as they happen starting from the start.

The hard part is going backwards through our already 3 million existing pets and seeing if they should be Purebred Offspring. No matter how it's done, it would be a pain in the butt to code the algorithm to detect it and then set up the server to slowly run this parsing code probably over the course of weeks before it could catch up - maybe even months.

I can't have it work 100% because then it'd lag the server out. So I'd have to just do like a handful of pets per script run.

It's actually how the Inbred percentages work, only they are restricted to only like 9 or 12 or something generations back. Some pets are like 40+ generations at this point. I had to cut it at 9/10 because past that it literally takes like over 5 minutes or over like a GB of memory to parse.... and those are the limits I have in place.

So figuring out if a 30 generation pet is purebred would be ridiculously taxing on the server.

(Edit as a specific example. At just 10 generations back, that's 1,024 pets. However, for the inbreeding percentages, I also need to know who each of those 1,024 pets' ancestors are. It ends up to a crazy amount of pets.

Now... imagine those 30 generation pets... A 30th generation pet would theoretically have 1,073,741,824 ancestors to parse through.)

So... there's that issue.

The other issue is just simply if it's something we want to add to the game. I don't think it would necessarily be something we wouldn't want to add, but something like that would require careful consideration.

*don't know if I should ping you or not*
i guess you could start a system that tracks down pbs right now(cuz the later you start, the more pets you're gonna have to check through!)

anyway....
maybe you could host some kind of a contest? the winner or the top 3 sylestians winning would get all their sylestis checked for purebreds. Then you can put, idk, a pb tag on them.

if that doesn't work... uh... maybe i can think of another idea? *racks brain*
Aquari
Level 70
The Majestic
Threads: 79
Posted: 5/1/2017 at 6:14 PM Post #6
I think it wouldbe kind of redicilous to trackn down 30 generations, but you could start with the 10 generation form the original parents, as for the other generations that are not tested/marked if people woul like to have them marked as a pb we could start a form, or you could say that any Pb past 10 genererations has been dilluted due to too much inbreeding, therefor they are nolonger pb.
Edited By Aquari on 5/1/2017 at 6:16 PM.
Kyokai
Level 60
The Majestic
Threads: 53
Posted: 5/2/2017 at 10:23 AM Post #7
@Krinadon if you happen to read this.

I didn't want to ping so I didn't but I wanted you to know I (finally) saw your post. Sorry about that. >.<

Totally makes sense. And that's what I was really hoping wouldn't be the case. I greatly appreciate the answer though, so that I 1. know to stop trying to question this and 2. better understand the process behind the curtain.

In my head it seemed like a fluid ability that would somehow work on its own, easily. Like the elves that work on shoes in the middle of the night. I don't know how to explain my (clearly broken) thought process, but I thought it would be easier.

But I can't express my gratitude for explaining this to me; it's just an idea that had been nagging (screaming) at me so it's nice to have closure and I can put this to rest.

So while I greatly appreciate everyone's comments on this, there doesn't need to be any more because this is not a viable option. Thank you all, and thank you for your time, Krin!

This Page loaded in 0.009 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.