Players 2,353 346
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,255,791 1,456
Generated 656,436 9
Captured 1,191,034 46
Bred 6,408,226 1,401
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > General Discussion > So how do you feel about inbred pets?
Page 2 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Fox
Level 75
Master Sylestiologist
Threads: 398
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 12:29 PM Post #11
It doesn't actually affect anything right now. I know on some pet sites they are really really picky about inbreeding and sometimes it doesn't even affect anything and people still check inbreeding %. Personally I don't care.

And like Xavion mentioned, I also use 3 regular essences to make any projects so even if inbreeding affected something like stats I would still inbreed my pets to get to my goal... because let's face it. Using 16+ essences to avoid inbreeding compared to using 3... there is no way I would pay for 16 for one 6 visible project.
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,119
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 12:54 PM Post #12
This thread has been moved to: General Discussion.
Talyn
Level 67
Trickster
Threads: 181
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 1:02 PM Post #13
All my project pets are inbred. To the degree that I wouldn't be surprised if they all come out as 100%, since I do my projects with 3-4 generated parents depending on the number of visibles I'm working with...

If I were worried about inbred, I'd be flipping out. XD However I don't care. Lol.
Edited By Talyn on 1/23/2015 at 1:03 PM.
Elise
Level 75
The Artistic
Threads: 99
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 4:29 PM Post #14
Like everyone so far, I don't care. Meh, if I could breed kids with their parents, I would. It's a GAME and should remain that way.
Lizswordmaid
Level 70
Knight
Threads: 3
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 5:15 PM Post #15
I would just like to point out that in real life, inbreeding is often done when breeding animals for specific traits as well, especially if it's a rare breed. For example, colts will often be bred back to their mothers in order to get specific traits. Of course, with these cases you do have to be careful since this can cause genetic problems, but oftentimes its a way to increase the number of animals you have with specific traits. So, I have no problem with it since it is a real animal breeding technique.
Edited By Lizswordmaid on 1/23/2015 at 5:16 PM.
Deathdust
Level 60
Seashell Collector
Threads: 120
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 5:29 PM Post #16
It doesn't effect anything, plus a lot of projects are just too expensive to do without inbreeding or hoarding all of the themed pets in the case of 6 vis themed projects, so I personally do not care. It is cool to see though. My new goal is to breed the most inbred pet. >:)
Olooriel
Level 75
Frosty Hands
Threads: 24
Posted: 1/24/2015 at 1:42 AM Post #17
I agree that it isn't particularly feasible to breed a 6vis without inbreeding, especially a themed, so for those I don't care either. But then I'm not that into 6vis anyway, I tend to find them a little too cluttered.

For a 2- or 3vis though (and that's most of my offspring pets), I must say I do care. After all, it's easy enough to breed something like that with no inbreeding if you put just a little bit of effort in it. It doesn't need to have 37 generations to finally get what you want.
Edited By Olooriel on 1/24/2015 at 1:43 AM.
Wonderfulwander
Level 75
The Dreamer
Threads: 110
Posted: 1/24/2015 at 2:20 AM Post #18
An inbreeding coefficient is defined as the probability that a being has of receiving two identical alleles from the same ancestor. In real life, this can be very bad if the ancestor had a recessive for rare diseases, as its inbred offspring could get both copies of that recessive and then have a terrible genetic disease.
- Krin

In real life, or on game sites where inbreeding is a concern, it's because people do not want too much inbreeding or there is a higher chance of getting recessive genes that will often cause genetic diseases.

However, since genetic traits are recessive, especially newer (arguably more valuable and desired) traits, the game is designed to want recessive genes being passed down. Sure, there are ways to reduce the amount of inbreeding, but i'll say it's not practical, especially for big projects.

Inbreeding just often have a negative stigma due to its implications in real life, but since this game is often about getting the recessives you want, I'm not bothered by it. =P
Olooriel
Level 75
Frosty Hands
Posted: 1/24/2015 at 7:43 AM Post #19
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=21808&page=1#7
Author: Xavion
Time Posted: 1/23/2015 at 9:36 AM
Harmless enough on the game, so... *shrugs* Eh. I just don't think of things in human terms. Also I've known of it long before the lineage came out - I use it for my 6-vis breeding strategy. Fastest way to get everything done. And for essences, with the lax breeding restrictions you can get even a 6-vis project done with as little as 3 regular essences.

Sylestia is a game - the pets aren't alive, and more importantly they don't die. So long as you can remember that, it isn't all that big a deal.

Not to mention, can you imagine how tedious it would be to check every last pet of a lineage just to avoid it? For breeders, you would have to check every last pet's line to find where things match up, and then miraculously manage to remember all of it just to avoid breeding them on the breeding grounds. Talk about aggravating! Especially on themed pets where all of the colors look the same. I'll give a good example.

This is one of my Reindeer Griffi. 6-vis, but I'm using her only for breeding traits rather than keeping her.

This is her lineage page.

This is the lineage page of her great grandfather.
This is the lineage page of her great grandmother.

This is the lineage page of her other great grandfather.
This is the lineage page of her other great grandmother.

This is the lineage page of her other, other great grandfather.
This is the lineage page of her other, other great grandmother.

This is the lineage page of yet another great grandfather.
This is the lineage page of yet another great grandmother.

For each of those grandparents, there are EIGHT more pets to check. If any of those lines still go further, that's another EIGHT pets to check. And trust me, I looked. It happens.

To get the full spectrum of the entire lineage with only TWO of the eight grandparents, it took me 29 tabs. I'm sure by the end had I done the other great grandparents as well, I would have had nearly 100 tabs open just to look at the full lineage of one pet.

Having to find a non-related pet for THAT would mean another 100 tabs or so to see the full lineage of yet another pet. Then several long, tedious hours (probably spanned over ten or so days since that would probably be a thousand or so pets to look through and compare) spent comparing all of these pets, just to see how many of them are the same to see if breeding them would reduce or raise the inbred percentage.

So considering all the work required to actually control this factor... no. I honestly don't think inbreeding will be that big of a deal when it comes to pet value. If anyone is seriously that disturbed by it, I invite them sort through my thousand or so 6-vis project pets and pair them together by the lowest relation and tell me how to do my projects by their absurd standards. I'll even breed their ideal least-imbred 6-vis themed pet for free.

(Total sarcasm. Seriously, don't try it. 100 tabs per pet? Average of 25-100 pets per theme, with some themes with up to 200 or so pets? Over 20 themes in total? That's easily 50,000 tabs worth of lineage pages. Don't do it. By the time you're done 30% of those pets will be released, another 200% will have been born and added to the projects, and hopefully at least 10% of those projects will be entirely finished.)

Also, try waiting for a 21st generation zolnixi to give you an inbred percentage. I wanted to see for myself, but after four minutes of calculating I got bored and decided to play Pixelmon.

(No rudeness or offensiveness intended with this, I just wanted to make clear the point that even if I did have a problem with the inbreeding - which I don't - the steps needed to avoid it would render the whole process moot. May as well give up on breeding if inbreeding is of enough import to sell or retire your pets. It's nearly impossible to avoid unless your goals are short-sighted; mine, however, consist of several 6-vis pets for themes, which has a limited gene pool from the very beginning... Right. Pixelmon.)

As for the "try waiting for it to calculate", as far as I understand how this works, it should only take a few minutes max for a new pet - once the server is caught up with everything, which at the moment it isn't, so all recently bred pets (last I checked, everything younger than October 2014) are still in the queue waiting to be processed, regardless of how long their lineage is.
Edited By Olooriel on 1/24/2015 at 8:55 AM.
Roseydove
Level 71
The Dreamer
Posted: 1/28/2015 at 10:35 PM Post #20
Hm, seems like nobody here is bothered by it. And I'm not either. It's just a game. :3
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.