Players 2,353 346
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,255,791 1,456
Generated 656,436 9
Captured 1,191,034 46
Bred 6,408,226 1,401
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > General Discussion > So how do you feel about inbred pets?
Page 1 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Olooriel
Level 75
Frosty Hands
Threads: 24
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 2:36 AM Post #1
And now that we've got the option to check for it, does that change how you feel about it? Has anyone else been going through their stables checking for it, and what did you find? What's the highest inbreeding percentage that you've found? What's the highest generation clean pet you own? What will you do with your ibred pets - keep and continue breeding, keep but retire, sell, release?
SpaceElf1
Level 75
Ghost Writer
Threads: 673
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 3:07 AM Post #2
I was wondering about that. Does inbreeding actually hurt anything? It does in real life, but Sylesties don't have harmful or fatal recessives.
Olooriel
Level 75
Frosty Hands
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 3:15 AM Post #3
I don't think it does... Without harmful genes, the only way it _could_ affect them would be lowering stats due to health issues or something, but I doubt there's plans for that. Within three generations it shouldn't be possible, and beyond that it'll probably just turn that little green 0 into a nasty red number ;)
Still might reduce the pet's value though, depending on how the community feels about it, so I'm kind of curious how people see it. I know it is seen as a taint on other pet sites where it also doesn't have any effect on the pets looks or abilities.
Edited By Olooriel on 1/23/2015 at 4:38 AM.
Alchemy
Level 75
Trickster
Threads: 109
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 6:34 AM Post #4
I personally don't care about the inbreeding. Sylestia is still fairly small. Its bound to happen, especially with tagged and project pets.
Marsandin
Level 75
The Jolly
Threads: 20
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 6:59 AM Post #5
I'm also with the group that doesn't care. I care more about colors and traits then it's genealogy. I do care of course for tagged/themed pets, but normal pets no.
Olooriel
Level 75
Frosty Hands
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 7:53 AM Post #6
I just realized that I accidentally posted this in Games and Contests rather than General Discussion, could it be moved? Sorry about that.
Edited By Olooriel on 1/23/2015 at 7:53 AM.
Xavion
Level 75
The Perfectionist
Threads: 434
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 9:36 AM Post #7
Harmless enough on the game, so... *shrugs* Eh. I just don't think of things in human terms. Also I've known of it long before the lineage came out - I use it for my 6-vis breeding strategy. Fastest way to get everything done. And for essences, with the lax breeding restrictions you can get even a 6-vis project done with as little as 3 regular essences.

Sylestia is a game - the pets aren't alive, and more importantly they don't die. So long as you can remember that, it isn't all that big a deal.

Not to mention, can you imagine how tedious it would be to check every last pet of a lineage just to avoid it? For breeders, you would have to check every last pet's line to find where things match up, and then miraculously manage to remember all of it just to avoid breeding them on the breeding grounds. Talk about aggravating! Especially on themed pets where all of the colors look the same. I'll give a good example.

This is one of my Reindeer Griffi. 6-vis, but I'm using her only for breeding traits rather than keeping her.

This is her lineage page.

This is the lineage page of her great grandfather.
This is the lineage page of her great grandmother.

This is the lineage page of her other great grandfather.
This is the lineage page of her other great grandmother.

This is the lineage page of her other, other great grandfather.
This is the lineage page of her other, other great grandmother.

This is the lineage page of yet another great grandfather.
This is the lineage page of yet another great grandmother.

For each of those grandparents, there are EIGHT more pets to check. If any of those lines still go further, that's another EIGHT pets to check. And trust me, I looked. It happens.

To get the full spectrum of the entire lineage with only TWO of the eight grandparents, it took me 29 tabs. I'm sure by the end had I done the other great grandparents as well, I would have had nearly 100 tabs open just to look at the full lineage of one pet.

Having to find a non-related pet for THAT would mean another 100 tabs or so to see the full lineage of yet another pet. Then several long, tedious hours (probably spanned over ten or so days since that would probably be a thousand or so pets to look through and compare) spent comparing all of these pets, just to see how many of them are the same to see if breeding them would reduce or raise the inbred percentage.

So considering all the work required to actually control this factor... no. I honestly don't think inbreeding will be that big of a deal when it comes to pet value. If anyone is seriously that disturbed by it, I invite them sort through my thousand or so 6-vis project pets and pair them together by the lowest relation and tell me how to do my projects by their absurd standards. I'll even breed their ideal least-imbred 6-vis themed pet for free.

(Total sarcasm. Seriously, don't try it. 100 tabs per pet? Average of 25-100 pets per theme, with some themes with up to 200 or so pets? Over 20 themes in total? That's easily 50,000 tabs worth of lineage pages. Don't do it. By the time you're done 30% of those pets will be released, another 200% will have been born and added to the projects, and hopefully at least 10% of those projects will be entirely finished.)

Also, try waiting for a 21st generation zolnixi to give you an inbred percentage. I wanted to see for myself, but after four minutes of calculating I got bored and decided to play Pixelmon.

(No rudeness or offensiveness intended with this, I just wanted to make clear the point that even if I did have a problem with the inbreeding - which I don't - the steps needed to avoid it would render the whole process moot. May as well give up on breeding if inbreeding is of enough import to sell or retire your pets. It's nearly impossible to avoid unless your goals are short-sighted; mine, however, consist of several 6-vis pets for themes, which has a limited gene pool from the very beginning... Right. Pixelmon.)
Barcode454
Level 61
Mojo Master
Threads: 246
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 10:34 AM Post #8
I personally could care less if something is inbred on this site :3
Gingerpaw
Level 60
Fancy Pants
Threads: 48
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 11:04 AM Post #9
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=21808&page=1#8
Author: Barcode454
Time Posted: 1/23/2015 at 10:34 AM
I personally could care less if something is inbred on this site :3

Same ^^ Makes no difference to me.
Entr0py
Level 75
Enchanted Explorer
Threads: 178
Posted: 1/23/2015 at 12:23 PM Post #10
i agree, it doesn't really matter, its not hurting anything
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.