Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,119
Posted: 1/3/2015 at 3:44 AM Post #1
We have gone ahead and adjusted all of the Avatar Eyes once again.

Hopefully, this time, everyone can agree and be happy with the adjustments. =P

If you are still seeing the old versions, just hard refresh the page to reload the image.
Edited By Krinadon on 1/3/2015 at 3:45 AM.
Imperium
Level 75
Guardian
Threads: 386
Posted: 1/3/2015 at 7:20 AM Post #2
I never much bothered griping about it when they were off center, but I can say I do appreciate that you centered them. :D The eyes look much better now~ Thank you Krin~!
Silkalivedoll
Level 69
Warden of Umbra
Threads: 6
Posted: 1/3/2015 at 12:31 PM Post #3
*blinkblink* They were off-center? I never noticed. XD
Shadow
Level 60
Threads: 144
Posted: 1/3/2015 at 12:36 PM Post #4
I never noticed they were off before and really don't notice any difference now. They look the same to me. XD
Edited By Shadow on 1/3/2015 at 12:37 PM.
Zelly
Level 65
The Hallowed
Threads: 55
Posted: 1/3/2015 at 3:33 PM Post #5
Wow... that looks.. really bad..

Let me explain a bit more in depth: Symmetry is more than just 'Are the eyes centered', it's also the spacial make up of the features involved. If you exaggerate two features stylistically (Face width and eye size being the two which would be exaggerated here on Sylestia as per anime styles) you need to account for where these exaggerated features sit to actually pull off the full image as a whole.

Whilst this may be working nicely for a lot of the small sized eyes, a lot of the larger sized eyes suddenly just stopped doing that at all, so they look very comical and off. By squishing these big eyes together, your eyes are drawn to the width of the head around these large eyes, and they start looking like someone stuffed a cartoon character's head full of helium and it's about to pop.

TLDR version: Large anime eyes like that really can't handle being so close together.. the size means they need to be placed further apart not to look.. well. Cross eyed and terrible..
Edited By Zelly on 1/3/2015 at 4:01 PM.
Flute
Level 70
Enchanted Explorer
Threads: 340
Posted: 1/3/2015 at 5:15 PM Post #6
Hate to say I agree, but I agree. ;;
when I was taking screenshots, am I just seeing these or are these eyes scaled to be smaller if they were bigger before?

It might be me being biased because I'm used to the old eye placements, but it'll take me longer to get used to:

I was going to look for more examples, but I see that some/most of the bigger eyes' sizes have been downscaled to be similar sizes to one another. It'll be easier getting used to them.

The change was a bit drastic, but I know it was meant to make the revamping of hairstyles/other features probably easier. Though yes, they do look squished together (like they're compensating trying to be centered within hairstyles) compared to before and will take getting used.

Like, it was a good choice to scale sizing, and not much can be done now, but they seem so close to each other. ;w;

It's mainly noticable probably with people who are used to bigger eyestyles. The smaller ones and the newly released ones (I honestly haven't used) don't seem as affected.

edit 2:

didn't want to make another post, but a comment to Zelly's post below mine:
I think a key factor here was size of the eyes. If one eye alone is bigger than the gap between both eyes, its easier to notice that it looks "crosseyed".
Which is probably why most of the eyes were scaled to be smaller. The smaller the eyes, the less noticeable it is (because the gap between the two eyes isn't as noticeable).

A bunch of the new eyes (along with slit/oval shaped eyes) don't seem to have a cross eye problem (so you can have more space between the eyes and around the eyes in general), but the bigger, rounder eyes probably run into the problem of that unfamiliar too-close-for-comfort territory. :c

I don't want to gripe, and I'll have to get used to it anyways (thank goodness I'm using a slit-shaped eyestyle at the moment aha). The easiest way to amend this problem is to use another eyestyle, and maybe the future will pay off for it. Though I still agree with Zelly's points.
Edited By Flute on 1/3/2015 at 6:58 PM.
Zelly
Level 65
The Hallowed
Threads: 55
Posted: 1/3/2015 at 5:34 PM Post #7
Went ahead and made a comparison image too to show how severely these eyes are effected. I honestly don't think I can use them anymore now, which is a shame since they're my usual favorite eyes. If I used them now, I would feel like my avatar looks like someone went into The Sims and played with the sliders til the sim looked deformed.

I'm going to go ahead and further my explanations here too. I want to explain the science behind 'looks wrong' a bit. Now, if you look around a bit at guides on how to draw a human face, you'll inevidibly run into a guide that looks a bit like this one:

See that line down from the eyes? In facial symmetry that line should trail roughly from the middle of the eye and hit the same rough area of the bottom of the face every time. If you look in a mirror you can make this imaginary line down your own face and it should roughly plan out fairly closely. So lets look at a drawing most everyone knows. Betty Boop:

Betty Boop, in spite of having an extremely hyper-unrealistic style of illustration, has been drawn with facial symmetry in mind. Run an imaginary line down the middles of her eyes and you'll see they fall roughly at the same sections of the bottom of her face as the more realistic drawing. This is what causes Betty Boop to still score high on a facial symmetry scale, considered as a scientifically measurable scale of attraction, in spite of her extreme features.

While my hope would be that the site would not set a precedent for expecting very large and very small eye sizes to all look 'correct' or be facially symmetrical from the same exact point on the face (at least establishing one for large eyes and one for small would be a lot more ideal), if this thing 'must' stay, please consider sizing down some of the larger eyes so they will look less incorrect with these settings.
Edited By Zelly on 1/3/2015 at 6:53 PM.
Malas120
Level 75
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 174
Posted: 1/3/2015 at 7:29 PM Post #8
At first I didn't know why everyone was all like "the eyes don't look good anymore" but then I went to my wardrobe,my eyes are to......low....or something.
Edited By Malas120 on 1/3/2015 at 7:30 PM.
HibernusMortis
Level 60
Mojo Master
Threads: 7
Posted: 1/4/2015 at 9:27 AM Post #9
Honestly...I never had the problem with the eyes.

But if you do, one fix is.....you can always wear shades! :P

Edited By HibernusMortis on 1/4/2015 at 9:27 AM.

This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.