Forum Index > News and Announcements > 10/7/2014 - Dye Usage Now Tracked
Page 4 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Nareen
Level 70
The Hallowed
Threads: 21
Posted: 10/8/2014 at 9:24 AM Post #31
About the dying of themed pets.. I know it's obvious that they aren't really 'true themed' pets anymore when they have been dyed to get a different colour, but what if you dye it in the limits of colour swings that are acceptable for themed pets? Like, if you catch or buy a themed pet that got a colour on the unfortunate spectrum of colour swings and you dye it to look better but still fit the theme - for example, taking a colour code from a different themed pet of the same kind that you like better - and apply it to your themed pet, does that mean it's still no longer a 'true themed'?

I don't plan to dye any themed pets, but this is something I've been wondering about..
Gamergirl1162
Level 60
Fright Master
Threads: 5
Posted: 10/8/2014 at 1:00 PM Post #32
Question, If we dye a pet, dose it tell what you exactly you dyed, like a gene or something? :|
Shadow
Level 60
Threads: 144
Posted: 10/8/2014 at 1:33 PM Post #33
About the dying of themed pets.. I know it's obvious that they aren't really 'true themed' pets anymore when they have been dyed to get a different colour, but what if you dye it in the limits of colour swings that are acceptable for themed pets? Like, if you catch or buy a themed pet that got a colour on the unfortunate spectrum of colour swings and you dye it to look better but still fit the theme - for example, taking a colour code from a different themed pet of the same kind that you like better - and apply it to your themed pet, does that mean it's still no longer a 'true themed'?

I don't plan to dye any themed pets, but this is something I've been wondering about..

If the label says it's a themed pet, it's a themed pet no matter what color you dye it as far as I'm concerned.
Edited By Shadow on 10/8/2014 at 1:39 PM.
Dyschordia
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 2
Posted: 10/8/2014 at 5:58 PM Post #34
I think if we have to worry that we even touched a pet with Dye in the same colour swing, We're all being far too picky. Before long, No one will want to interact with anyone else, because there's too many complications and it's not fun anymore. At the end of the day, I say if it still fits in the colour spectrum, dyed or not, and has a themed tag, Then it's still a themed pet.

Think about it this way, I can dye my hair, but that doesn't change who I am. If I dye my hair bright purple, then sure, some people may not like it but I am still me. If I dye my hair a lighter shade or two from my own color, Then seriously? What's that different about me?

So relatively, If a themed pet is dyed some out there color, then sure, Purists be purists, You don't have to accept the pet. But there's no reason to hassle the other person, just because they don't fit what you consider to be a "themed pet." But if it's the same color swing and you're still hassling over it, Take a chill pill. It's a game, and the color was even possible regardless of Dye.

All in all, People over complicating everything is really sucking the fun out of things. You can't accept a gift without worrying that someone will get mad if you sell it later, or sell its babies, or do anything with it. You can't dye a pet, or someone might decide its not Pure anymore, Even if it looks better.

You might as well not do anything involving trading pets or anything else til you sign a full contract agreement of rules and guidelines about a pet.

And sure, Even I can acknowledge that there is some things that are pretty rude to do, like reselling a pet you took as a gift yesterday and said you were going to cherish.

But if you open 20 tabs following a pets heritage line and find one pet coloured slightly off but still in it's color swing, and flip your lid over it... Log off of Sylestia for a bit and reconnect with reality. It's just not the end of the world and there are much bigger things to be concerned over, even in the Sylestian Realm.

I expect to take some heat for this post, but I do want to put out there that I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just think some of people's expectations are so high its creating a fairly unwelcoming environment, and we're all forgetting that there are lots of young children on the site, who just aren't going to understand taking things to that level of seriousness. Not to mention, people aren't even being nice about these things anymore, and that's the worst part of it all. When did we forget to set our differences aside and agree to disagree and still be nice to one another even when we disagree?
Xavion
Level 75
The Perfectionist
Threads: 434
Posted: 10/8/2014 at 6:09 PM Post #35
That's all a matter of opinion really. To me, so long as the color can be proven a natural color of the theme's color swing then it's still pure. But if it's a color that isn't supposed to be there, it's no longer considered themed because of it.

People who breed themed pets aim to replicate the colors of the theme itself. Either for personal goals, or even to help other players who never found the themed pet with the traits they wanted, or who simply weren't around when the theme was released.

I'm a themed pet breeder myself, so to me, and to those seeking purebred pets, the color is the most important part of it. If a pet has been dyed away from the theme's color pallet, then the offspring colors will go to all sorts of whacky changes that take it farther and father away from what it's supposed to be. These offspring aren't considered pure because of it. If it isn't a replication of the theme, it isn't a part of the theme - simple as that. If someone wants a purebred themed pet with a certain trait visible, then they want that themes exact color, not some random variation.

If the dyed color is true to the theme (as in, 100% accurate with no variation from what naturally occurs) then it'd still count as pure. But it's a very tricky thing to do. Pet dyes are known for their wild color swings, especially the lessers. The slightest change in the tone of the color - even if it appears right to the naked eye - can cause wild changes in the offspring. A bit too much red on a near-white color that's meant to be a shade of blue, and suddenly the offspring can be a light shade of purple. The colors on offspring will be ANYWHERE between the colors on the parents, either a replica of the mother or father, smack dab in the middle, or anywhere else along the scale. So above all, accuracy would be important; it may not be worth the risk of trying unless you plan to use a few Greater Dyes to get it perfect.

I actually had a couple of awkward results with my Barn Owl Nytekrie due to their base color 1. It's a near-white, but some had different tones. I had a pink offspring and a yellow offspring hatch from two different pairs of beige-y parents. Released the offspring since I didn't want to keep breeding pink and yellow Barn Owls.

Though I'm not sure if it'd even be possible, it'd actually be pretty interesting to see a specialized pet dye that's made specifically for people who want to dye their themed pet, but keep it within the theme's natural colors. I've seen a few themed pets where the traits blend together which can make them disappear from sight - such a dye would be quite useful in those cases.

As for tags on dyed themed pets, in the beginning tags didn't even exist - it was allabout the colors. For breeders, it's still about the colors since that's what makes themed pets so desirable for breeding. It's a known color scheme that people already have a demand for; being able to help people get the themed pet they want is quite enjoyable. :)

Just the views of a 6-vis themed pet breeder. Strong views, perhaps, but...*shrugs* Eh. I'm passionate about my pet breeding hobby. :3
Edited By Xavion on 10/8/2014 at 6:33 PM.
Imperium
Level 75
Guardian
Threads: 386
Posted: 10/8/2014 at 6:39 PM Post #36
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=17861&page=4#35
Author: Xavion
Time Posted: 10/8/2014 at 6:09 PM
That's all a matter of opinion really. To me, so long as the color can be proven a natural color of the theme's color swing then it's still pure. But if it's a color that isn't supposed to be there, it's no longer considered themed because of it.

People who breed themed pets aim to replicate the colors of the theme itself. Either for personal goals, or even to help other players who never found the themed pet with the traits they wanted, or who simply weren't around when the theme was released.

I'm a themed pet breeder myself, so to me, and to those seeking purebred pets, the color is the most important part of it. If a pet has been dyed away from the theme's color pallet, then the offspring colors will go to all sorts of whacky changes that take it farther and father away from what it's supposed to be. These offspring aren't considered pure because of it. If it isn't a replication of the theme, it isn't a part of the theme - simple as that. If someone wants a purebred themed pet with a certain trait visible, then they want that themes exact color, not some random variation.

If the dyed color is true to the theme (as in, 100% accurate with no variation from what naturally occurs) then it'd still count as pure. But it's a very tricky thing to do. Pet dyes are known for their wild color swings, especially the lessers. The slightest change in the tone of the color - even if it appears right to the naked eye - can cause wild changes in the offspring. A bit too much red on a near-white color that's meant to be a shade of blue, and suddenly the offspring can be a light shade of purple. The colors on offspring will be ANYWHERE between the colors on the parents, either a replica of the mother or father, smack dab in the middle, or anywhere else along the scale. So above all, accuracy would be important; it may not be worth the risk of trying unless you plan to use a few Greater Dyes to get it perfect.

I actually had a couple of awkward results with my Barn Owl Nytekrie due to their base color 1. It's a near-white, but some had different tones. I had a pink offspring and a yellow offspring hatch from two different pairs of beige-y parents. Released the offspring since I didn't want to keep breeding pink and yellow Barn Owls.

Though I'm not sure if it'd even be possible, it'd actually be pretty interesting to see a specialized pet dye that's made specifically for people who want to dye their themed pet, but keep it within the theme's natural colors. I've seen a few themed pets where the traits blend together which can make them disappear from sight - such a dye would be quite useful in those cases.

As for tags on dyed themed pets, in the beginning tags didn't even exist - it was allabout the colors. For breeders, it's still about the colors since that's what makes themed pets so desirable for breeding. It's a known color scheme that people already have a demand for; being able to help people get the themed pet they want is quite enjoyable. :)

Just the views of a 6-vis themed pet breeder. Strong views, perhaps, but...*shrugs* Eh. I'm passionate about my pet breeding hobby. :3

Can't we look at the simple solution here?

If the color isn't what it's supposed to be in the offspring, then simply find the design or in the tagged griffi's case, find one with it's "Pure" natural colors and re-dye the off color to make it fit the scheme again. For wheel pets, you would need greater pet dyes, for wild caught they have as much chance as a regular generated pet in it's color swings for it to be of the same effect.

And instead of saying that a tagged themed pet's offspring's aren't pure, can't we just be correct in saying "unnatural coloration" rather than a complete refusal to except something for what it actually is? An offspring from two tagged pets of the same tagged is a purebred, an offspring from a tagged pet that's color has been changed is unnatural in the coloration, but still a purebred.

Think of it this wayby your logic, if it's touched with a pet dye then it's no longer a purebred themed, what-so-ever apparently. If it was re-dyed back to it's natural colors, then it still wouldn't be a purebred in your usage because it has been dyed.

I mean this with no malice nor any intent to start an argument, but just to help be correct here...

Taken from dictionary.com:

Purebred

adjective
of or pertaining to an animal, all of whose ancestors derive over many generations from a recognized breed.
noun
a purebred animal, especially one of registered pedigree.

The lineage is still pure by all means, the coloration is merely flawed.
Edited By Eimell on 10/8/2014 at 6:48 PM.
Xavion
Level 75
The Perfectionist
Posted: 10/8/2014 at 6:55 PM Post #37
Very well, "unnatural" is the term I will use from here on out, since it seems that's a more socially acceptable term. I've never meant to step on so many toes with it, but apparently I have poor choice of wording.

Thanks for the vocabulary lesson, Eimell! <3 I fear my social skills are on the 'horribly blunt and crude' side, so it wasn't all that simple a solution for me (I'm basically a hermit >_>). Hopefully "unnaturally colored purebred" won't be offensive.

Also I didn't know that the wild themes have the same color swing chance as regular generated pets; no wonder I got some weird colors on the Barn Owls. Interesting information - I'll keep it in mind for future pet designs.

Edit to answer to the edit:

Though, when it comes to real life comparison there are factors of 'purebreds' that can't be replicated with themed pets here. A Vulnyx will still have the same base as a Vulnyx, themed or not. There is no difference in the size, the proportion, the shape, or anything else to that end that marks a purebred in the real world. And here, all of the genes and mutations can appear in regular ones as well as themes, so there are no specific things to note on there either. The only thing themed pets have that sets them apart from other pets of their species would be the colors, and nothing more.

Well... perhaps that's a years' old way of thinking. When I started breeding themed pets, there were no tags - to me it isn't important, just an easier means of finding a themed pet on the search. Apparently the tag itself now holds a lot of pull in what a themed pet a theme. I'm behind the times, but that's nothing new. XD
Edited By Xavion on 10/8/2014 at 7:04 PM.
Nareen
Level 70
The Hallowed
Threads: 21
Posted: 10/8/2014 at 6:59 PM Post #38
Thank you, that's actually what I was interested to hear! I was of course assuming that it would be given to get the right colour code, either by luck, trying often enough or eventually with an item that's going to be released at some point.

It would be actually pretty cool to get a dye that's specifically for themed pets and dyes a colour only in a given range.. Or maybe a copy dye that makes it possible to copy one certain hex code? Guess there is a lot of room for stuff that could be added to the diamond shop. :)
Xavion
Level 75
The Perfectionist
Posted: 10/8/2014 at 7:15 PM Post #39
You're welcome. :)

(Though just to update, since it's turned into something so offensive it would now be considered an 'unnaturally colored themed pet' with 'unnaturally colored purebred offspring.')

If the need ever arises for you, I've actually been working out a way to calculate the full color swing on themed pets. A friend of mine has a couple of 'glitched' tagged pets from the last Fall Festival; tags hadn't been added at the time, but they were implemented weeks after the festival ended and it backtracked to them as well. They were given the tag, but they were actually found prior to the true release of the theme as regular pets, and have a regular pet's colors for every slot.

So... I've been going through all ten colors to see if I can figure out the full swing for the theme. (I like working with numbers and patterns. >_>)

Copy Dye... That sounds like an interesting way to go. It'd probably have to be more pricey than a greater pet dye, but it'd definitely do the trick. It'd probably have some other good uses as well, like pet projects made with essences. Perfectly matched parents would be quite helpful. I still have some broken colors on one of mine...
Imperium
Level 75
Guardian
Threads: 386
Posted: 10/8/2014 at 7:18 PM Post #40
You didn't really step on my toes at all. xD I understand both sides of the argument.

I want to eventually dye Tharja, whom I captured in the wild into the unflawed coloration of Evenings Tempest, a mystically generated BI Nephini from the egg auction. The colorations vary in up to around 30 points in many of the color slots making Tharja seem awkward to me as I know her coloration, although natural is far off from the mystically generated Sylesti.

Here's a side by side comparison:

I'll eventually use greater pet dyes to get her nearly exactly to the purest coloration of the BI Nephini as possible~ it doesn't flaw the colors even though I've used pet dyes and it doesn't take away that she's a BI Nephini.

After she's re-dyed, her offspring won't be any less purebred BI Nephini, but less flawed in coloration as far as color swings go. I can only hope that folks would understand that I didn't alter the colors out of the scheme, but attempted to improve them at least as far as on Tharja.
Edited By Eimell on 10/8/2014 at 7:19 PM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.