Players 2,402 361
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,244,056 1,095
Generated 656,241 59
Captured 1,190,530 56
Bred 6,397,190 980
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Player Guides > Xavi's 6-vis Breeding Guide!
Page 4 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... 11, 12, 13 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
SheVampire
Level 72
Sylestiologist
Threads: 274
Posted: 3/22/2015 at 4:54 AM Post #31
Hi Xavion,
What do you do in the case where you are breeding your first generation pets, and keep hatching a bunch of males that are way stronger in their traits than any of the girls that you hatch? Like let's say you keep getting 4 carry males, and your girls are mostly 1-3 carries. Do you release the males? Do you keep some that are very strong for later generations, or gender bend them? Do you keep girls that have 1 carry or less - is it worth it at all to keep a girl that carries none of the traits, or does it depend on how desperate you are for girls?
Xavion
Level 75
The Perfectionist
Threads: 434
Posted: 3/22/2015 at 8:46 AM Post #32
In the case of multiple males of the same generation with matching traits, I usually keep 2-4 of the best, and release the other males.

Like, say you have three 4-trait, five 3-trait, and four 2-trait.

The 2-trait you can definitely cut out of the project, and you can probably cut out some of the 3-traits well. (Unless they hold a specific trait you need for the project that's only available on that pet, of course. Always best to check first.) The 4-trait males will be your best options for breeding, since they have the most to give to their offspring. (And do make sure that there is at least one that isn't at all related to the others whenever you can - helps avoid the dreaded 'pets refuse to breed' instances.)

Granted, if I'm extremely low on females and have the funding I have been known to gender-bend a few that have suitable traits to help the project move on. Those 3-trait males would make mighty find females if all I had were 1-trait and 2-trait girls.

And if I'm desperate enough for females, I will lower the trait requirements for keeping them. So long as the males have enough traits to spread, even a 1-carry egg-layer can still produce a few good offspring to (hopefully) yield some better females in the next generation.

It also depends a lot on the pet, however. Fabled pets have a 1-week cooldown, so there are much less eggs being produced. Early on there's much less competition for staying in the project. At 1 week cooldown? An egg is an egg! I'll take whatever females I can get until I have at least 10 breedable females to pick and choose from.

On a non-fabled species with the 3-day cooldown, I'm a lot more strict on the hatchlings. I can always try again in a mere 3 days after all, and if I'm keeping at it constantly I can have another 8 eggs bred from the exact same pair to try and get a better result, BEFORE the 1-carry even reaches adulthood. I'd rather release the 1-carry, since chances are in a week I'll have a much better sibling that can breed instead, and the 1-carry will most likely produce sub-par offspring.

As for a no-trait offspring, I always immediately release them.

The goal is to breed the traits up. A no-trait can only yield an equal or a lesser result, with the highest chance obviously pointing to the lesser. Not worth the space. Not worth the food. Just not worth keeping.
Kitsunegail
Level 54
Threads: 5
Posted: 4/30/2015 at 12:14 PM Post #33
Hi! This is a super helpful guide, and I refer to it often. I have a quick question, though. You say it is faster to start with two males and one female than one male and two females because any females you breed will be able to breed with the other male. Wouldn't it work the same with two females and one male? As in, any males you breed will be able to breed with the other female? I hope this made sense....
Xavion
Level 75
The Perfectionist
Posted: 4/30/2015 at 1:18 PM Post #34
You can certainly start off with two females and one male, and indeed any male offspring of one female can breed to the other. :)

The deciding factor is that even if you breed multiple males breedable to the first two females, you will still be limited to only breeding eggs from those two females. Which means that up until you have multiple other generations, you'll still have only two eggs per cooldown.

With two males and only one female, you can breed all female offspring the the unrelated male, which means you can increase your number of eggs per cooldown cycle with the very first generation, for every female hatched. (As opposed to all of the hatched females being related to the only male, and thus being unusable for breeding until you have male from the next generation, nearly a month later. So... lots of wasted space and chances to breed with that setup.)

Hope this fully explains it for you! If not I'd be happy to detail it further! :D

(Or to make it simpler: more breedable females = more eggs. Female offspring need a mate moreso than male offspring who can't make you an eggy :P )

Edit to fix the italics error. >.< I made this post out on my tablet.
Edited By Xavion on 5/1/2015 at 9:56 AM.
Kitsunegail
Level 54
Threads: 5
Posted: 4/30/2015 at 5:04 PM Post #35
Ah, I see. I knew I had to be missing something. Thanks!
Starfire9250
Level 70
Seashell Collector
Threads: 6
Posted: 10/25/2015 at 3:27 PM Post #36
Now this question has been haunting me for a while since I am starting to make some wonderful progress on my Mystic Night Faelora project.

But what do you do to the other pets in the project when you have achieved your 6-vis breeding pair and offspring?

I mean do you keep certain ones, only keep the starting generation and 6-vis/carry gen and release all the others?

Because as we all know we will eventually need to make room in our stables for other breeding projects.

BTW: THANK YOU FOR READING!
Xavion
Level 75
The Perfectionist
Posted: 10/25/2015 at 7:21 PM Post #37
That's really up to personal preference. :)

Once I consider my project completely finished, I'll usually release everything except for the finished result. The lingering breeders are basically useless at that point, so I give them the boot. It's actually my favorite thing about finishing a project since it frees up so much stable space. @.@

I do make occasional exceptions if the generated pets are on the species revamp list, just in case they'll be available for regeneration. I was lucky enough to obtain a handful of generated Sylvorpa that were regen-able after their revamp, and with them I was able to set up a 6-vis project with flawless colors. (Very useful, since it involved a lot a whites.) I've almost completed the project, and when I do I'll be releasing the generated pets and the other breeders.

The Faelora will be revamped eventually, so I would keep those just in case. It may be worth it in the long run since they may be up for a full regen whenever the time comes. From an old project to something completely new - always useful. :D
Starfire9250
Level 70
Seashell Collector
Threads: 6
Posted: 10/25/2015 at 7:30 PM Post #38
Thank you! I really appreciate your response cause I have up coming breeding projects that I have to account for!
Chrispina
Level 60
Trickster
Threads: 7
Posted: 12/12/2015 at 11:39 AM Post #39
I keep seeing the word disrupted in regards to themed pets. What does this mean? I love your guides. Very informative!
Xavion
Level 75
The Perfectionist
Posted: 12/12/2015 at 7:24 PM Post #40
A while ago the admins added in a new philter called a "Philter of Trait Disruption (Themed)" which allows players to randomly swap out the traits on a tagged themed pet, provided that it has not been bred.

To be more specific, say you get an exclusive pet egg but it hatches with traits that you don't like. With the Philter of Trait Disruption, you would be able to scramble the traits to get a randomized result of different traits. The pet will still keep the same number of traits, and on occasion not all of them will be changed, and the results are completely random. (Meaning you can't choose a trait or slot for the pet to receive.)

The best example I can give is Imperium's post of her Disrupted Mahi Mahi Aurleon.
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=24911&page=6#60
Author: Imperium
Time Posted: 10/19/2015 at 8:42 PM
Before:

After:

The pet went from looking mediocre, to looking outright GORGEOUS thanks to the philter. :)

(Prior to the philter, what you got was it. Non-exclusive pets could be mutated to add a trait, but the exclusive ones that generally took a lot of work and/or luck to acquire were a total hit or miss with no way to change or add traits. Those were dark days for the ugly exclusives...)

Feel free to ping me if you have any more questions! :D
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5... 11, 12, 13
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.