Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > News and Announcements > 6/10/2014 - Stables Upgrade v1.0
Page 10 1, 2, 3... 9, 10, 11, 12 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Shadow
Level 60
Threads: 144
Posted: 6/13/2014 at 7:31 AM Post #91
I wish the need to feed pets was done away with altogether. I've always fed them anyway, but I don't like spending the gold to do it to be honest. In my first barn there is nothing but Mystical pairs, 7 tabs worth. That's a LOT of Mystical pairs. At what, $20 per pair, you figure out how many hundreds of dollars I've spent to make them. And now I have to worry about them going 'unconscious' on me if I forget to feed them, something going worthless on me that I've already bought? That doesn't sit well to put it mildly. It's almost like saying 'Buy the diamonds to make your dream pairs and the stables to house them and now keep paying to use them', which is why I've never liked feeding to begin with. :( And really, why do pixels need to be 'fed' anyway? lol Can't you come up with another idea, Krin?

"We feel that if you want to own a large amount (or any amount) of pets, you should be expected to feed them."

I feel that if I want to own a large amount of pets, especially ones that I spend real money to generate, and real money to buy more barns for, nothing else should be expected. :D
Edited By Shadow on 6/13/2014 at 7:52 AM.
Divinis
Level 60
Trickster
Threads: 30
Posted: 6/13/2014 at 7:53 AM Post #92
Most pet games require some kind of "care" be provided for said pets. Food is Sylestia's version it seems since it is attempting to rectify two other issues - we need gold sinks if we want gold to be worth anything, and we need less pets available for breeding if we want to curb overpopulation. This method will definitely remove absent player's pets from the breeding pool and possibly encourage people to downsize the number of projects they have going at once? I think we should at least wait until the stable hands and food are implemented to see how easy/cheap it is before getting in a huff about it. Gold isn't exactly hard to come by at the moment.

I think it's also important to point out, you can reverse their unconsciousness with one click of a button... even if you left them starving for months.
Edited By Divinis on 6/13/2014 at 8:17 AM.
Divinis
Level 60
Trickster
Posted: 6/13/2014 at 8:20 AM Post #93
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=14747&page=9#87
Author: Krinadon
Time Posted: 6/13/2014 at 2:40 AM
[quote=242596]

I can't really do it for tab names because there wouldn't be enough space.

The reason the tab names are smaller is so that they can fit 14 characters. If they were large like the "Tab 3", they could only fit maybe like 8-10 characters, which isn't very many to write out a description.

Okay what if you just make the tab names stand out a little more? Light grey isn't the easiest on the eyes ;)
Shadow
Level 60
Posted: 6/13/2014 at 8:39 AM Post #94
Maybe for some gold isn't hard to come by, but for me it certainly is. I joined the game for one reason...to create pairs and breed pretties. That's it. Yes, I do play the story line part of the game, but I'm sluggish at it. It's fun, and I do like it, but it's not the reason I'm here. I get bored with that part of the game quickly, that's nothing against that part of the game, that's just me. I don't get bored creating pairs. Ever.

I don't have a real issue with feeding, as long as it's relatively inexpensive, even though I really don't see any need whatsoever for it. 'Most games do it' doesn't cut it with me. Just because 100,000 people smoke crack doesn't mean it's right and everyone should do it. lol I have an issue with the pets going useless...they actually die now?... If you don't feed because, God forbid, you can't get on here awhile or go on a vacation, or the internet is out two-three weeks, like it was for some on another game I play during hurricane Sandy, it is a little like being 'punished' when you come back and all your pets are dead. Because of a RL situation beyond my control, I couldn't play for months. I guess I should be glad that my pets weren't all just...dead and gone...like they would have been on another game I used to play. I'm more worried about RL events beyond people's control wiping out their pets if they can't come on here for awhile...

And if people downsize, the admins get less money when people need room and have to buy barns. You'd think the admins would want people to UP size, not downsize..

As far as 'overpopulation' goes, well, either people keep buying more barns, which the admins will appreciate, or they MUST eventually become more picky with their pets and release some. And really, overpopulation is a given on any pet game. More people joining means more people breeding. There's no getting around it. Maybe the admins should offer 'stable mascots' for gold each month and let something like that be a gold sink....tiny, cute pets that live in your stable, up at the top, not in a stall.
Edited By Shadow on 6/13/2014 at 8:44 AM.
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,119
Posted: 6/13/2014 at 9:37 AM Post #95
To all those concerned,

The reason most games, including ours, has some sort of care/feeding system is because gold sinks are required in any game. Without gold sinks, gold becomes worthless and devalued. Caring for your pets is the most basic way to have a gold sink that progresses as you play through the game.

We are very aware of the fact that there are players with dozens of stables out there and over the course of time, will acquire even more stables. Math + math says eventually it will become too expensive to take care of the pets in these stables. We are not oblivious to this.

The Stablehand system will address these issues directly. Why haven't we re-enabled feeding? Because the Stablehand system isn't available yet. We've already stated that.

So there is no reason to make assumptions about how everything will work before it's even been released how it will work. And the reason we haven't released how it will work is because we haven't 100% decided yet. We're not going to announce changes that may or may not end up being implemented.

Oh, also, being unconscious or malnourished - they're basically the same status. Only now it will cost a little extra to revive them rather than just feed them - although with the difference in feeding prices it probably ends up being where the new system altogether is still cheaper.
Divinis
Level 60
Trickster
Posted: 6/13/2014 at 9:40 AM Post #96
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=14747&page=10#94
Author: Shadow
Time Posted: 6/13/2014 at 8:39 AM
Maybe for some gold isn't hard to come by, but for me it certainly is. I joined the game for one reason...to create pairs and breed pretties. That's it. Yes, I do play the story line part of the game, but I'm sluggish at it. It's fun, and I do like it, but it's not the reason I'm here. I get bored with that part of the game quickly, that's nothing against that part of the game, that's just me. I don't get bored creating pairs. Ever.

I don't have a real issue with feeding, as long as it's relatively inexpensive, even though I really don't see any need whatsoever for it. 'Most games do it' doesn't cut it with me. Just because 100,000 people smoke crack doesn't mean it's right and everyone should do it. lol I have an issue with the pets going useless...they actually die now?... If you don't feed because, God forbid, you can't get on here awhile or go on a vacation, or the internet is out two-three weeks, like it was for some on another game I play during hurricane Sandy, it is a little like being 'punished' when you come back and all your pets are dead. Because of a RL situation beyond my control, I couldn't play for months. I guess I should be glad that my pets weren't all just...dead and gone...like they would have been on another game I used to play. I'm more worried about RL events beyond people's control wiping out their pets if they can't come on here for awhile...

And if people downsize, the admins get less money when people need room and have to buy barns. You'd think the admins would want people to UP size, not downsize..

As far as 'overpopulation' goes, well, either people keep buying more barns, which the admins will appreciate, or they MUST eventually become more picky with their pets and release some. And really, overpopulation is a given on any pet game. More people joining means more people breeding. There's no getting around it. Maybe the admins should offer 'stable mascots' for gold each month and let something like that be a gold sink....tiny, cute pets that live in your stable, up at the top, not in a stall.

Your pets do not die. They go unconscious - which as stated is reversible with the click of a button and a little gold. And most pet sites do it because ALL pets require care.
pet1
pet/Submit
noun
a domestic or tamed animal or bird kept for companionship or pleasure and treated with care and affection.
To compare that to smoking crack is a bit... dramatic.

And gold is currently easy for everyone to make actually. Missions do not require you have any expertise in battling, and take only a few moments to send your pets on. They even level your pet. The only thing you have to do is 1) dump all their points into one stat 2) remember to send them. No it's not an exciting part of the game, but it is easy and not very time intensive.

I realize that this is not going to be THE solution to overpopulation, but yes I do think it will make a slight impact. People new to the game will not be able to afford to breed 10 pages of basically worthless sylestis and try to pawn them off on people in the auction forum. Other methods of population control are currently being discussed that worry me much more than having to feed pets.
HibernusMortis
Level 60
Mojo Master
Threads: 7
Posted: 6/13/2014 at 10:34 AM Post #97
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=14747&page=10#92
Author: Divinis
Time Posted: 6/13/2014 at 7:53 AM
Most pet games require some kind of "care" be provided for said pets. Food is Sylestia's version it seems since it is attempting to rectify two other issues - we need gold sinks if we want gold to be worth anything, and we need less pets available for breeding if we want to curb overpopulation. This method will definitely remove absent player's pets from the breeding pool and possibly encourage people to downsize the number of projects they have going at once? I think we should at least wait until the stable hands and food are implemented to see how easy/cheap it is before getting in a huff about it. Gold isn't exactly hard to come by at the moment.

I think it's also important to point out, you can reverse their unconsciousness with one click of a button... even if you left them starving for months.

Heck, it seems so far only Divinis and myself understand the concept and reasoning behind all of this.

For months now, I've been reading various posts about how the prices of pets are slowly hitting rock bottom, and people not being able to sell them at all, or at a price way lower than what they anticipated.
The reason for this is simple....way to many pets in the game which lowers there worth drastically. The feeding system should help fix that issue.
As for feeding sure they are only pixels....but you can't use that as a reason for not feeding. Games in some aspects are suppose to simulate some real life aspects, having to eat is one of them. If something doesn't eat it starves to death, but in this game instead of dying and losing the pet all together, its only rendered unconscious and can be revived.
I mean what if the pet did starve to death and you lost them do to not feeding?

I'm sure this will also require a little more thought put into the breeding process also, so as not to produce so many unwanted pets, and to try and get that select batch that you are aiming for.

Oh...and for gold...as Divinis stated...run missions if you dont feel like battleing.it only requires a couple of minutes to do a couple times a day and can get you an eask 50K-100K a day in gold if not more. If you are more active and participate in the raids and do the quests and tasks/dungeons, its no problem to make between 150K-200K gold a day. More than enough to keep a large amount of Sylestis well fed.

And on the issue of stablehands, I believe it was stated elsewhere in these forums, that they will be "for hire" if you are going to be away for a while and can't get on to feed your pets. You will hire stablehands and they will feed your Sylestis for you. And if you're rich and lazy...I guess you can just hire them and have them do all the feeding work, regardless if you come here everyday or not. :P

and on another note......
Thanks Krin for adding the levels to the stables! :)
Edited By HibernusMortis on 6/13/2014 at 10:57 AM.
HibernusMortis
Level 60
Mojo Master
Threads: 7
Posted: 6/13/2014 at 11:43 AM Post #98
Also remember that there is a plan in the future for an NPC pet dealer that will buy unwanted pets from you.
That will help out gold wise, those mass breeders looking for that perfect Sylesti in every batch of 200 Sylestis bred. :P
Shadow
Level 60
Posted: 6/13/2014 at 1:13 PM Post #99
Thank you for posting your enlightening definition of a pet for me, Divinis. I wouldn't have known what they were otherwise.

As for pets being 'worthless', I'd say that's in the eye of the beholder. What you consider 'worthless' someone else might value highly.

Oh, I totally understand and comprehend the idea behind feeding. That doesn't mean I have to like it.
Edited By Shadow on 6/13/2014 at 1:17 PM.
Zelly
Level 65
The Hallowed
Threads: 55
Posted: 6/13/2014 at 1:41 PM Post #100
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=14747&page=10#95
Author: Krinadon
Time Posted: 6/13/2014 at 9:37 AM
To all those concerned,

The reason most games, including ours, has some sort of care/feeding system is because gold sinks are required in any game. Without gold sinks, gold becomes worthless and devalued. Caring for your pets is the most basic way to have a gold sink that progresses as you play through the game.

We are very aware of the fact that there are players with dozens of stables out there and over the course of time, will acquire even more stables. Math + math says eventually it will become too expensive to take care of the pets in these stables. We are not oblivious to this.

The Stablehand system will address these issues directly. Why haven't we re-enabled feeding? Because the Stablehand system isn't available yet. We've already stated that.

So there is no reason to make assumptions about how everything will work before it's even been released how it will work. And the reason we haven't released how it will work is because we haven't 100% decided yet. We're not going to announce changes that may or may not end up being implemented.

Oh, also, being unconscious or malnourished - they're basically the same status. Only now it will cost a little extra to revive them rather than just feed them - although with the difference in feeding prices it probably ends up being where the new system altogether is still cheaper.

I'm well aware of this. But some games also figure out ways to make gold sinks in some way amusing, fun, rewarding, or all three. You have made this gold sink none of those, and stable hands don't sound like they are going to change that fact any so far.

A *well implemented* gold sink doesn't *feel* like a gold sink. This one sort of painfully obviously does. Sites that handle this particular gold sink well find methods of making it not just 'Let me pour all this gold into the toilet for no reason cause it's good for the economy of the site.' They make it have perks so it doesn't feel so completely pointless. That's what Sylestia really needs. It's not about not having gold sinks. It's about building them so they don't look like a gilded toilet with a flush me sign. =P

Edit: Ugh. I only wanted to quote the part of about gold sinks being necessary but the new forums quoting system decided it wanted the entire post instead. Meh.

For those who seem to think the feeding system will somehow fix the pet devaluing problem.. have you ever played another pet site? I am guessing no. >.>

New players + Active Players that do feed + New genes = More Pets. Plain and simple. Forever. You can *never* make there not be more supply than demand on a pet site. It doesn't happen. The NPC to sell to, to make a baseline price on pets will do considerably more for the economy.
Edited By Zelly on 6/13/2014 at 1:50 PM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3... 9, 10, 11, 12
This Page loaded in 0.013 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.