Forum Index > General Discussion > The Sylestia Times - December 2013
Page 1 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Threads: 116
Posted: 12/31/2013 at 8:15 PM Post #1
Edited By Everlost on 12/31/2013 at 8:46 PM.
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/31/2013 at 8:15 PM Post #2
Monthly Recap

Hey Everyone! Where's the Breaking News? Well, it's right here! 'Cept, we've had a small name change. Breaking News is now called Monthly Recap! Enjoy. :)

The December Outfits were stunning this month. Don't you think? The birds were an especially hot item. Everyone was rushing to get some!

We also had some new Genes to go along with the Festival.

The Winter Festival was also quite astonishing. We barely had time to finish the Fall Festival before plunging into this one! Nevertheless, our Admins have outdone themselves. The Caroling feature was quite well received. Many Sylestians had enjoyed Trick or Treating. The Caroling gave them a chance to continue, this time with different prizes!

Likewise, the Wheel of Festive Cheer has made a dent in all our minds. I'm sure everyone is vying for one of the exclusive pets available from the Wheel.

The new species was also intruduced. Say hello to the Griffi!

This pet, just like the Lighira and Ryori, is only available during the Winter Festival. Quite beautiful, don't you think?

Finally, the First Anniversary of Sylestia's Creation has come and gone. This wonderful site has been live for an entire year! I, for one, can say that I've enjoyed it for almost all of that time. I'm so glad I found this site. :)

Article by Everlost
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/31/2013 at 8:19 PM Post #3
Behind The Scenes - Interview with Vella

1. How did you become an artist? Was there something that inspired you?

Honestly I'm not 100% clear on how or why. Mostly I remember someone I met in high school I became friends with, Mewitti (http://mewitti.deviantart.com/), and I really admired her skill. I drew for fun then but didn't really take it seriously until much later...another friend started teaching us how to do comics so I decided I wanted to do that for a living, but that kept changing and morphing until my goal today to be a game artist.

2. How did you start doing art for Sylestia?

Fai actually saw my gallery on DeviantArt and liked my style, so she emailed me with an offer to do work for the site. I'd always wanted to do petsite art so I accepted and here I am!

3. Where does your inspiration for the Avatar outfits come from? Are you given a description from Fai and Krin?

Usually yes, I'm given a theme or specific description of what they'd like, much like when making the pets they provide many references and inspirations. I like to add my own twist to outfits though, assuming it's approved by Krin and Fai. I personally draw a lot of inspiration from fantasy games, like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy.

4. Could you describe the steps you take when making a new Avatar item?

Using the Ice Queen dress as an example, I was given a loose reference to some pretty dresses that incorporated a lot of floof and flow. I wanted to include some ice in the design, it being snow related, and also I enjoy the slightly slimmer form Ice Queens tend to have, such as the snow leads in Frozen or Narnia. Once I've got my inspirations down, combined with Fai's references, I typically have a very strong sense of what to draw. With the Ice Queen dress, this included gems, a corset, and a form fitting bottom that draped to the floor, along with icey shoulders and a nice deep furred neckline. From there it gets sketched, approved (or changed), inked, shaded, highlighted, adjusted, then colored in! After that it's given to Krin and Fai for final review and they put it into the game. :>

5. Some of the outfits in Sylestia are very detailed, is it difficult to draw them?

At first it was, but now I've done it so much it's not so hard to actually draw them anymore. The most difficult part is making them detailed without it looking too cluttered when it is shrunk down...I'm still working on mastering that completely, haha!

6. How long does it usually take to make one outfit?

It varies depending on complexity, but roughly 30 minutes to 2 hours or so.

7. What kind of an outfit/item do you enjoy making?

Hmmm there's nothing specific! I really have fun dressing up the avatars in general!

8. Anything you would like to say to readers?

Thank you guys so much for reading, they do a great job with the newspaper and I'm sure they appreciate the support! Also thank you all for playing and supporting the site! I for one really appreciate the feedback you guys give me and it tickles me pink when you all are out playing and enjoying the game we all put so much love and time into, Krin and Fai especially! <33

Article by Starfall
Edited By Faiona on 1/1/2014 at 12:29 AM.
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/31/2013 at 8:21 PM Post #4
Behind The Scenes - Festival Findings

Creating and Running a Festival

For this months newsletter, I was asked to write about everything that goes into creating and running one of our festivals. I will begin by describing the design and creation process for a festival. Typically, we try to begin about 2 months in advance with the design phase. This involves some basic brainstorming about what we want the festival to be about. For example, with the Fall Festival, we wanted it to be about fall (obviously), harvesting, and of course Halloween.

Once we have a theme, we then try to list a bunch of artwork that well require for the festival. This includes genes, mutations, many avatar item sets, exploration backgrounds, map pixel art, other miscellaneous artwork that wed use, and usually a new species. When we have our list, we then begin commissioning all of the artwork as soon as possible. The earlier the artwork can be completed, the sooner we can begin implementing it into the game, which is a very time consuming process.

At this point, theres usually a few week gap between any actual site-related work beginning on the festival. With concern to the festival, that gap is used to complete our commissioned artwork. Faiona will typically spend this time working with the artists on designing and creating all of our required artwork and making sure everything is completed on time.

About two weeks before the festival begins, we usually begin the coding process. So far, this has been different for every festival. Ideally though, it would begin with the implementation of the commissioned artwork. This means going through all of the artwork and editing it in Photoshop; such as organizing the layers as needed, touching up some coloring here and there, and fixing any complications that werent noticed during the process of creating the artwork. Once that step is finished, we then begin to upload each individual part into the Site. Just to give you an idea, if you look at just a single species, such as the Griffi, there are over a hundred different .PNG files involved in the entire species: each colorable part, genes, mutations, shading and lineart. Even just a simple avatar outfit is about a dozen different files. So as you can imagine, this process takes many, many hours between Faiona and I.

Once the artworks uploaded into the site, I then have to do database work to make them actual things, such as turning files into a species, or a gene/mutation, or an avatar outfit. This process is pretty streamlined now a days, but early on this was a tedious process. I have made a lot of improvements to make this process pretty much as automatic as possible.

When all of the artworks in the game, I then would ideally begin coding the unique features to the festival. For example, for the Winter Festival, this includes the exploration zone, Holiday Caroling, the Wheel of Festive Cheer, the Holiday Shop, etc. This process can be time consuming, but for the most part its not too bad, especially compared to going through all of the artwork. I can usually create a feature from scratch in under three days. If the foundation is already there (like the exploration system), it usually only takes a day or two.

Finally, with the bulk of the festival coded in, we would then ideally begin the polishing process, or the running part. This includes making sure that everything functions properly, tweaking drop rates and spawn rates, setting prices, creating Forum Games, and creating announcement posts. There really isnt a time frame for this process as its mostly ongoing throughout the festival. But none of it is very time consuming.

So that pretty much sums up the entire creation, implementation, and running processes of a festival. Festivals are pretty much by far the biggest time consuming things we have worked on so far. In total, it usually takes about 2-3 weeks of work for Fai and me to complete everything and thats on top of the multiple weeks that our artists work on creating all of the artwork. But its definitely worth it. Festivals are the most loved events on Sylestia and its a great way for us to introduce new content on a regular basis. So far, we always try to make every festival better than the previous rather than just rinsing and repeating content.

What do you enjoy most about the festivals?

I would say that what we enjoy most about our festivals is how much more our player base plays. Its always so nice to see 60+ players in the festival zone constantly farming named, chests, or just searching for unique wild pets. Its also fun to database watch and see how many times players trick or treat, or carol, or spin the wheel, etc. Having others enjoy something you create is a priceless feeling and thats by far the best aspect of our festivals (for us).

What do you enjoy least about the festivals?

The worst aspect of the festivals is obviously just the amount of work required especially work thats on a strict timeframe. Its very disappointing for us when were super far behind on releasing festival content like weve been for the Winter Festival. As the bulk of the festival is based on new artwork, were very reliant on having the artwork available. For the Winter Festival, there were a lot of unforeseen obstacles that delayed an already rushed time table. The end result was a huge backup in artwork that were still working on getting finished up. Thankfully, we have a group of amazing artists who have been willing to work throughout the holidays on getting everything finished up as quickly as possible.

What have we learned for future festivals?

The biggest thing that weve learned from the last two festivals is that you can never start too early on an upcoming festival. In 2014, we will most likely push the Fall Festival up by about an entire month. This will give us a much bigger window to prepare for the Winter Festival and avoid what happened this time around.

Article by Krinadon
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/31/2013 at 8:29 PM Post #5
User Spotlight

Ethel is an amazing Sylestian. After reading our article from last month about pet prices lowering, she was inspired to creating the Operation: Ny'Vene. Her plan is to buy Ny'Venes and either release them or give them new homes. She hopes to increase the price of Ny'Venes. On her thread, she states that she's always loved the species and can't beleive how low the prices have gotten. Ny'Venes are fabled. A supposedly rare species. She's alarmed that they are handled as if they were the normal species of Sylesti.

1) What inspired you to make Operation: Ny'Vene?
Ethel: well i guess it started that day when Krinadon and Faiona went through and released all the pets selling under 1K, thats when the idea first came to me. it is obvious that sylestias economy for slightly older pets is vary bad, however i really didn't have any drive at that time and so i played with the idea for a time before letting it go. i got my drive when i learned how far the Ny'venes had droped. i have always loved Ny'venes and to find out how bad off they were really made me sad. thats when i decided to bring Operation: Ny'Vene to life

2) How did you come up with it all? I mean, I never would have thought of everything you did!
Ethel: well, it really gets down to money... doesn't everything? what i mean is i really don't have vary much money. at this time i have 33K total, so i knew i'd have to find some way i could trade with people. i want the project to be completely non-profit, which means any money i make from the project goes back into the project, however at this time making money from a pet that i payed as much/more to get then i sell it for is not getting me anywhere, i also know that in the beginning not many people are going to buy the Ny'venes, i would not be getting any return... the answer was when i remembered a reforming group from a really old site [one that i can't even find anymore] it was called Muddies for Buddies. the group took "muddy" pets and offered nicer ones in return. unfortunately i don't have my Muddies for Buddies post active yet but it also gave me the idea for the trade post. if i could trade much wanted pets for ones people are really trying to get rid of then i would be able to get somewhere. so far all the pets i have put in my trades post are all pets i have bred myself, from pets i already had. the Muddies for Buddies post will be set up as soon as i have enough "uncommonly nice" looking Ny'Venes to start it.

3) What are some challenges you've faced?
Ethel: at this point....None. not really, i know this will all be trial and error but so far i have had vary little trouble. the one trial i faced was vary quickly fixed. When i started i had only one tab to use not really enough room for what i had planed. however the vary next DAY the thread was open someone offered to give me the 500 diamonds i needed for the new stable *cough, cough* Darkwingedangel * cough cough* lol ^.^

4) Has the project been going well?
Ethel: i'd say it has, for the most part. sense the Winter Festival there has been little activity but i'm sure thing will start up again as soon as its over :]

5) How many Ny'Venes could you say you've relocated, recolored, or released in the short time you've been running the project?
Ethel: just about 81 myself so far. [not going to specify relocated, recolored, or released] and my first helper Soltra8 has saved at least 17 as far as know, [i don't think there are any she hasn't told me about ^.^]
so about 98 total

6) Is there anything you'd like to say to the audience?
Ethel: yes there is.
this is one of the best sites i've ever been on. i have never seen such kindness shown from senor players to newer, i have never herd of anyone being mean to another on the whole site. some could argue that the site is still new but its been here for a year now and there are over 13K players. i believe this site is worth playing and this is just my way of giving back to the people who have been so nice to me over the few months i've been here. to rebuild something worth rebuilding. i'd like to say thanks to anyone who has help someone they didn't know, just because they could... this is just the best way i know how to repay you ^.^

Article by Everlost

Newbie Spotlight

1. How did you find out about Sylestia?
Bludragon: lol I followed an add/link From the Dragon Cave site. I liked the images in the add so i thought i would take a look.

2. What made you want to join?
Bludragon: I think the artwork for the most part got my attention, but after i got into the game i liked the activities that revolved around the breeding and nurturing as well as the technicalities of passing on colors and traits. Math is fun for me! ^_^

3. What were your first impressions?
Bludragon: At the risk of being redundant my first impressions were about the artwork. As i started to learn about the game, I would have to say that this is a well thought out game that just needs a little polish, which, i am sure will come with time.

4. Do you like the community on Sylestia?
Bludragon: Yes i do, i tend to ask a lot of questions and everybody has been very helpful in the chatrooms. I have not had a chance to browse the forums very much yet but that will come with time. I expect that they will display the same camaraderie and helfulness that i see in the chat room. I am looking forward to finding some discussions about the more technical side of the game.

5. Are you enjoying the Winter Festival?
Bludragon: Well i came a little late in the game for the Festival, but i am doing what i can still do to participate, although, some aspects of it seem to require a little higher level to succeed at than i am at so far. But i keep trying all the same. Who knows i still might get something really cool out of it

6. Do you plan to keep playing for a while?
Bludragon: Yes i am enjoying this game very much and i have every intention of staying on for quite a while. I am looking forward to when i can start breeding my own Sylesti.

Article by Everlost
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/31/2013 at 8:38 PM Post #6
Flute's Notes!

Hihi Sylestian's! It's your instrumental note-maker again. c:

I noticed that the market is trying to revitalize the pet market again. I really don't like making too much comment for one side or another, but I'm not too fond of releasing pets.
The best way to not release pets is to not make pets worth releasing. Why add to the population of pets Sylestis that no one would like? Often, such pets are made through breeding. The less they carry/show traits, the less likely they are wanted by someone else. And in general, we would want homes for Sylestis, whether they're housed for battle or breeding, right?

So I decided to do an article on breeding tips. c: (The first 3 tips are mainly for new players or people new to breeding. There are a few afterwards that I'll aim towards veterans of breeding.)

1. Understand what breeding is, and what your goals are for it.

Breeding is pairing two pets together to make one more pet. Essentially, you made 2 pets into 3 pets (2 parents and a child), and 3 pets takes up more space in your stable than 2 pets. That's more mouths to feed, if you're tight on gold to feed your stable as it is, so be wary of that.

Essentially, breeding is to create a different pet than the parents they come from. It can be either in colors (pairing blue pet+white pet yields a pretty light blue pet), or in traits (pairing a female carrying one gene and a male carrying the same gene possibly yields an offspring showing the gene).

-Most breeders breed with the intention to create better offspring than the previous generation. The parents would carry several traits (so they'd be pretty plain looking), but their children can possible show the traits, and thus look desirable to the breeder's effect.
-What adds to the riffraff of unwanted pets are undesirable pets, usually lacking any carried/visible traits. Most breeders want to give these pets away, but if they're valuable species, they end up"devaluing" the species.

When you breed two pets together, you should know what exactly you're doing. You're making another pet, which is the result of what the parents have combined. What are you going to do with the pet after it's born? Breed it again? Use it in battle? Give it away?
If you have no real reason to have another pet in your arsenal, don't breed it. It becomes another mouth to feed, or another pet to give away or release. :c So unless you have plans with the pet, breed wisely.

2. Read breeding guides!

Comprehensive guide to breeding! Good for people who wanna start breeding pets that end up better than their parents. c: (Like 1vis+ parents and the like)
How to breed a 6-vis!
Go to the Breeding section of this guide and read more about it!
Have any more questions? Ask a Mentor! They probably have breeder vets that can spare some tips of their own. ;D
They're all link-clickable. c:

The point is, you should learn more about breeding before doing it. What pets should go with what, and what would come out of it? How does one get more than 2 visible traits in one pet? How can one make a "desirable" pet? Everyone starts from somewhere, but it's better to know a few crucial things in breeding, such as making traits visible, so you can create nicer pets.

3. Make a budget!

Even if you're breeding, pets are still pets. They need to be fed, and so do their babies.
And what pets you start with also determine a cost. Are you using essences to generate your first parents? Are you starting with pets you already own? Would you rather buy pets with multiple carries to begin with from other users?
Also, it isn't about money alone. What about time? Is a 4-gen project worth the potential months it takes to reach the end result? (That being said, will you use certain essences or pies to shorten the process?)

It's important to figure out your goal, and the map to get there. Figure out on paper a genetic tree that will lead to your end pet, and if you have enough gold and time to carry on with it. A simple 2vis project would take a lot less resources than say a 4vis.

Protip: If you're not too picky about resources, you can always buy offspring from the pet search (on the new layout, under the Username search, click Advanced Search). Often, you may find multi-carrying pets at low costs, cheaper than essences. You can always recolor the pets/end result with lesser pet dyes (buyable from broker, or scale shop). c:

I think I wrote quite a bit for new breeders. xD
Here's some tips I thought of on how well-established breeders can fix the pet market a little.

Limit pet distribution. A LOT.
According to supply and demand in Sylestia...we have a LOT of supply. Auctions for fabled pets everywhere, for example, spread the pet population of a rare pet over and around. People who use those pets to breed more end up having MORE pets, then where would those pets go? Raffles to give them away.
Whether people want to restore the pet market or just find good ways to make the most of their pets is up to them, but if breeders really want to fix the prices to what they think is a good value, they have to limit the supply of pets themselves.

-Keep your projects exclusive enough to make a difference. If you distribute your pets from the get go, your end result won't be as popular, per say. Keep giving out the 1vis2carries of your 3vis project, and by the time you get a 3vis, you'll have users making 3-4vis or 2vis3carriers without going through all the work you did.
-Limit your sales until you have some valuable products. Don't sell your 1vis2carriers or anything less and expect top dollar for them. Keep breeding until you have a bunch of 3vis or more, and sell those! It's worth it selling them, as they're more complete of a breeding result.
-If you can't release your pets, literally GO to newbies and offer your "failed" pets to them. Psst, don't tell them, but they're so new, they probably don't know what a pet market is. O: Giving them a failed pet won't break the economy, because they still have a low amount of gold to work with, and have to level up until they have enough gold to buy premium pets. That being said, it's a good start and it's a good way to let go of your pets without being too guilty.

Buy less. Breed smart.
Personally, I haven't had to buy multivis or multicarry pets in awhile. I started small with my fabled pets, like say a few couple of bought nephini offspring from a few players, and one of my own. But by choosing what pets to breed to wisely, not only do I have 0 problems with having offspring that share the same parent, but I cut down on big prices. I feel like breeding fees from the Pet Search are much cheaper than buying pets. All you need is to breed the rest on your own! A great space-and-gold saver. c:
Just remember, there are good-traited mates out on the Pet Search that can yield good offspring as much as the offspring that high-class breeders sell.

Whether you sell or not is up to you, but I have noticed people try to sell off their pets. Instead of selling the low tier norm of 5GP pets, just controlling the distribution of pets controls the supply of pets, and thus the prices. c: Those are my thoughts. I'm sure other players think otherwise though, so play how you wanna play!

Anyways, that's enough noise from me. Have a happy holidays and a happy Winter Fest! c:

Article by Flute
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/31/2013 at 8:40 PM Post #7
Economic Standing

Merry Christmas Sylestia! For December, I bring your request pricings. I'll be going into detail about the prices of Luporas, Holiday pets, and of course, our newest Fabled species, the Griffi!

Lupora: I'm afraid the pricing for this species is grim. A five-traited or 3vis Lupora can be purchased for as close to free as the site gets, 1g, and a six-traited for about 500g. A 3vis3carry can up your price to about 5.5k, and the first 4vis checks in at 6.5k. 4vis2carry checks in at 10k, 15k for a 5vis1carry, and 25k for the fabled 6vis. Take this pricing with a grain of salt, however; there are a huge amount of Luporas for sale on the site and although I was as specific as I could to try and get an accurate pricing, I have no way of knowing what was left out. Also, as with any species, breeding projects babies go for much higher than others due to coloring being much better and have specifically selected traits.

Griffi: Even with the festival being almost two weeks in already, the price for Sylestia's newest species are still encouragingly high. Of course, they are at that period every new Fabled goes through when those with no traits sell for almost nothing and have an extreme jump with even a single carried trait. Not many people seemed to be putting their captures up for public sale, so these prices are averaged more from what I've seen on the pet auctions forum than anything else. A bred Griffi with nothing can still be sold for up to 5k, depending on the gender and coloring. One carried trait can up the price to 10k, and a visible or three carries can up the price to almost 50k. Captured Griffis are another story entirely. Commons sell for maybe 1k-2k, but an uncommon, in my own experience, can go for between 30k-60k., depending on gene and gender. A rare capture can go for upward of 100k, dpending on whether the trait is visible or two carried, and can climb to 200k. Overall, if maintained correctly, this species has a chance of staying quite high in price even after the festival ends.

Now for our special Holiday section! Due to the sheer impossibility of going into detail on every Holiday pet that has ever been released (Especially since I only joined during the very end of the Summer Fest!) I'll touch on a few of the major ones (AS Griffi, FF Ryori, and the wheel pets) and do something a bit more general for the remainder.

Arctic Storm Griffi: This is the pet almost everyone in the Winter Fest zone is hoping to run into. They're proving a good deal more rare than the Fall Fest's themed Ryori, however (My hat is off to you for that, Krin and Fai!). For the most part, they seemed to be going for diamonds, and one with a visible up to 1000 of them. If you manage to catch an AS Griffi and are willing to part with it, you're going to have a fair amount of money coming to you!

FF Ryori: There three variations of Fall Fest Ryori: Spooky, Blood Scream, and Halloween. And they go up in price in that order. Being out for the entire fest, Spookies are the most common, Blood Screams following thanks to be out the second half of the fest, and the Halloweens by far the most expensive, thanks to only be available a couple days.
Spooky: Being so common in comparison to the other two, Spookies are wildly undervalued and can be purchased for little more than regular Ryori with the same amount of GP.
Blood Scream: To price a Blood Scream, just add maybe 10k-15k on to how you would price a regular or Spooky Ryori, perhaps a little extra if it's a female. They're not that uncommon, just be careful when purchasing! Tracing bloodlines is never a bad idea, especially if the price seems a little on the low side.
Halloween: If you're lucky enough to have a Halloween pair, you're about to make some serious bank. Even a baby with only one or two carries can go for well over 100k. A multivis is more likely to sell for diamonds than for gold.

Holiday Variations: With the holiday pets, only two things really make a difference in price; gender and whether or not they're captured. A baby from a Holiday pair, unless it's from a very early Holiday before the site had many members, isn't likely to go for more than 3k-4k more than a regular pet. Captured and unmutated, however, depending on the species and how long it's been since they were capture-able., can go for a great deal more. Patriotics are only just now increasing in price thanks to all the new genes and mutations coming out, since breeders want to work them into their lines. So for those holding onto FF pets, don't give up yet! The prices will increase as long as there are people breeding them.

Article by Selestial
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/31/2013 at 8:41 PM Post #8
Passion for Fashion

Alright fashion padawans sit your fab tushes down cause were gonna talk about looking good while buried knee deep in snow. As always, the newest items are safe bets for seasonal fashion, and between the monthly avatar sets and the winter festival this seasons selection does not disappoint. The Snegurochka and Witch robes, paired up with some Frost or Snowflake wings, let you show off a warm and snug avatar bundled up against the elements. The detail on these outfits are stunning, and work well both with some accessorize or even on their own.

The Adventurers Winter Garments, while simpler in design, is ideal for winter fashionistas that love to accessorize. This outfit can pull off tons of item combinations while always looking great, and rarely appearing cluttered. Its versatility puts it among my top items for the season.

Our newest back items, the winter veil and swirling snow, both create a wonderful delicate look that matches many frosty fashions. The swirling snow in particular is eye catching, as it adds quite a bit to the avatar without being overpowering, and it covers up those areas around your avatar that typically end up as white space. I recommend testing this out with several items, and Ive found it works practically well with the Glowing Branch Wings of Frost, as their glowing effects complement each other wonderfully rather than clash, as I originally expected.

An unexpectedly popular item this winter, the Summer Flame Wings have proven they arent limited to just the summer months. When not wandering out in the snowy wilderness, these wings really bring together any toasty indoor look. All thats missing from this look is a warm glass of cocoa, and perhaps someday well get to see our avatars wielding fancy mugs and drinks, as the gothic chalices just dont have the right feel for this cozy look.

Now that were all decked out and lookn fancy, lets turn to our dream avatar contest winners for some exceptionally stunning avatars
1st: Edibbs

Edibbs pulled off a gorgeous Mrs Claus this time, and utilizes items from a wide variety of sets that blend well together.

2nd: LunarShinobi

LunarShinobis Fireplace Fae is a creative take on the winter season with gorgeous warm colors. The impressive use of the brownie headdress and her staff give a real sense of a cozy fireplace on a winter evening.

3rd:
A tie between Mahado and Morrow!

Marrow is a shining example of a great avatar that keeps it simple. A few gorgeous items that go great together, she looks ready for a winter.

Mahados Ice dragon makes good use of the NyVene costume, and creates an impressive icy beast.

Thanks again for all our participants this month! The winners will be contacted soon about their prize diamonds, and next months contest should be up and going in the next couple weeks. The contest thread now has a ping list, so please notify me if youd like to be added to it! As always, thanks everyone for all the gorgeous avatars, it was tough judging and I look forward to seeing you all create next! Until nexttime fashion padawans!

Article by Ash
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/31/2013 at 8:43 PM Post #9
Starter Interviews?

Serenity: Hiya Everyone! I'm Serenity, Chi's Starter Sylesti! She's...not available right now...(Please ignore the angry shouting from the closet. ...It's just those rowdy hatchlings again. ...Really. It's not Chi. What kind of Psycho do you take me to be, Locking my Adventurer in a closet?! I am insulted!) *Huff* Well, Since Chi's lo-... Unavailable right now, I'll be doing her article this month! Since, you know, I AM a Nixi, I can't exactly interview people. You can't even understand me right now. This is all a figment of your imagination. Moving on. I'll be interviewing Other Starter Sylesti! Our First victim is...The first Starter I happen to come across.
-Later-
Serenity: Oh Oh Oh! I know you! You're Kazuki, Savynn's Starter!
Kazuki: Hello, Hyper active Nixi.
Serenity: Mind answering a few quick questions?
Kazuki: Not at all.
Serenity: Yay! First one, when your adventurer created you, did you turn out how she hoped? Or did she mess up like mine, giving me visible banded stripes! *Grumble Grumble*
Kazuki: Possibly a little washed out, but I am mostly black.
Serenity: Valid point! Were you based off of anything in particular? Or were you just a Randomize button-er?
Kazuki: I was based loosely on Taiki, a character from the Twelve Kingdom novels by Fuyumi Ono.
Serenity: Cool! Now, one last question. Has your Adventurer ever used a Pet dye on you, or are you completely original to this day?
Kazuki: Savynn has considered doing so, but she never has.
Serenity: Original all the way! Alright, as I said that was my last question. Thank you much Kazuki! Cya around!
-Later-
Serenity: Man...I've been walking for like, /forever...Next Tame Sylesti I see, I'm interviewing!!
Mystery Sylesti: You've been walking for less than a minute, Nixi.
Serenity: GAAAH!
Mystery Sylesti: Sorry, Did I startle you? My name is Llomerynn. I am Tippy...er, Tpll's starter.
Serenity: You're a meanie, Llomerynn!
Llomerynn: Pleasant to know.
Serenity: Well, as long as I'm talking to you...questions?
Llomerynn: I don't see why not.
Serenity: Yay! First, I think I recall seeing a picture of you a while back. Victim of Pet dyes?
Llomerynn: I consider myself in no way a Victim. I look very amazing now.
Serenity: So you're calling yourself ugly, before pet dyes happened?
Llomerynn: *Splutters* I am /saying/ I looked amazing before, and I look very amazing now! Tippy's favorite color is orange, after all, and I stand out so brilliantly!
Serenity: ...Am I being rude? Chi's been trying to get me to 'learn what the blah I'm saying comes across as', whatever that means, but I really don't think I'm being rude. It's very effective when battling.
Llomerynn: ...You are...a very /strange/ nixi.
Serenity: Aww, thank you! *Big grin* Next question! What were you based off of, either the first or second times around? Or were you just a Randomizer button-er?
Llomerynn: Like most when starting on sylestia, Tpll really didn't have much of a plan. She has told me that when creating me, she simply messed with a few colors until she found combinations that looked well together.
Serenity: Your colors did and do look very good together...
Llomerynn: Is that all, Nixi?
Serenity: I sense you don't like me. ...Yep, That's all! Cya later, Llomerynn!
Llomerynn: Hopefully that later is a /much/ later...*Grumble*
-Again with the Later-
Serenity: Help! Heeeelllp! I'm droooowwwwwnnnniiinnnnnng! *Dramatic blubs* Someone save meeeee! Oh why oh why did I lock Chi in that closet?! *Flailing*
Mysterious Sylesti: What in the name of Admins are you /doing/?!
Serenity: Droooooowwwwwnnnnniiiiiiinnnnnng!
Mysterious Sylesti: You're sitting in a /puddle/ for goodness sake!
Serenity: Heeeellllp!
Mysterious Sylesti: * Aggravated Sigh* *Yanks her out*
Serenity: Oh joy oh joys I've been saved! *Gasp* And by a magical being of the water!
'Magical being of the water': Have you never seen a Sylvorpa before?
Serenity: ...Oh. Well then. Uh...In Hounourith of you savingith my life...ith, Magi-...Sylvorpa, would you grantith me the pleasureith of includingith you intoith my articleith?
Sylvorpa: ...What's with all the 'ith's?
Serenity: I thought it'd make me seem posh. No?
Sylvorpa: No.
Serenity: ...OK! First question! What's your name, O awesome one?
Aluna: My name is Aluna, but call me Al. My adventurer is Everlost.
Serenity: Isn't that a girl's name?
Aluna: Next question. *Glare*
Serenity: Hmmm...When you were created, what was Everlost's image when she went in?
Aluna: I was based off of the default Sylvorpa image on the generator page, with a few tweaks.
Serenity: Really?! Chi did that once! Except, you know, she didn't give it tweaks.
Aluna: Interesting...Next?
Serenity: Right! What's your position with Ever?
Aluna: I am a Battle pet. My position is as a Tank. I've been used to breed every now and then, but not often.
Serenity: Sooo....WHAT EMBARRASSING THINGS HAS YOUR ADVENTURER DONE TO YOU?!
Aluna: Wha-?!
Serenity: ANSWER OR I WILL BEAT IT OUT OF YOU!
Aluna: ...!
Serenity: ROAR!
Aluna: *Flees*
Serenity: GET BACK HERE YOU! *Chases*
-Elsewhere, sometime later-
Chi: One...More...Time...! *Rams into Closet door*
Door: *Creaks and splinters*
Chi: *Kicks door open rest of the way* VICTORY!
Serenity: *Wanders in* Guess I should let Chi...out...Oh -beep-.
Chi: SERENITY!!!
Serenity: Eep! *Runs away*
Chi: GET BACK HERE DAMMIT!!

Article by Chi- Serenity: NO IT WAS ME!
Everlost
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 12/31/2013 at 8:44 PM Post #10
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
This Page loaded in 0.013 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.