Forum Index > Suggestion Box > Design Theft
Page 4 1, 2, 3, 4 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Royal
Level 70
The Majestic
Threads: 15
Posted: 10/9/2019 at 7:39 PM Post #31
Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it doesn't exist... I also didn't think this was an issue cause I'm not very good at using the generator but it's clearly a problem. Plus it's really easy to steal a design on this game. So I guess I'm serious.
Orcastration
Level 73
Fishy
Threads: 316
Posted: 10/9/2019 at 8:19 PM Post #32
But then we got the thingy from krin last time about how this not against the rules apparently

But its frowned upon in in design community and official contests so...I guess that's still better then nothing????
Jemadar
Level 74
Grand Protector
Threads: 25
Posted: 10/9/2019 at 10:03 PM Post #33
One issue is that it can be very difficult to prove design theft. I could take a random design I found and liked, change the colors around, and would that still be theft? if I kept the exact same hex codes? What if I decided that I liked the theme but wanted it pastel, or crystal colors? Same colors, just different hues. Is that design theft? What if I never saw the other design, but just came up with the colors independantly. How do you prove I actually saw the other design? What if I took a theme and applied it to a different species?

Even in the contest threads, I often read the first post, maybe glance at the first couple of entries, then go off and design if I have an idea. I then post that design in the thread, and often will never look at any other design.

There is no way to prove this is how I do things, just as there is no way to prove I look at every single post in the thread.

So, I think that is why the site decided on the stance they did. It can be very difficult to actually determine whether someone stole another person's design or if they were just inspired by that design, or just came up with the same theme on their own.
Squarebug
Level 75
The Sweet Tooth
Threads: 51
Posted: 10/10/2019 at 5:32 AM Post #34
I'm probably just repeating information at this point, but I do agree with most people. I went for a quick scroll through the festival design threads of recent times and noticed a few designs that were alarmingly similar to each other. Whether this was intentional or not is entirely up for debate.

I'm not entirely sure how something like design theft could be managed though... Sure, in the long run, a punishment of some kind might deter people from thieving designs, but it may also throw people that have accidentally created similar designs under the bus. It may be devastating to some people if they were punished for design theft if they hadn't had any intention of copying a design that they may/may not have ever seen before. It may end up just end up inflicting damage where it isn't needed.

I don't enjoy seeing people designs being stolen and I don't think that it is fair to on the person at all. They've taken their time testing different shades, colours, hues and traits to create a design that they're happy with and it's sad to see that people feel the need to copy their designs.

I doubt there will be any sort of design theft punishment of this site, and I can respect that. From what I've seen the admins are able to control design theft to an exceptional standard.

I'm really not good at projecting my opinion, sorry if I contradict myself/make absolutely no sense... It happens a lot.
Edited By Smolblu on 12/5/2019 at 2:25 PM.
Orcastration
Level 73
Fishy
Threads: 316
Posted: 10/10/2019 at 1:48 PM Post #35
Nah its fine. I understand (hten again I dont make sense myself and ocnstantly confuse my former stand partner)

it's like the protests in HK. Face masks = banned, but you have nonsupporters who wear masks for health reasons.
Wooloothedarklord
Level 58
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 107
Posted: 11/24/2019 at 6:15 PM Post #36
update: i was just affected by design theft a user named Askergold stole my flaming rose design and renamed it 324 and it got 5 LIKES WHEN MINE ONLY GOT 2!!!! (IM SO FURIOUS [gosh i get what y'all mean])

mine:

his

you might be like "uuh pickle, tjose are the same design" THATS BECAUSE THEY ARE. THEY DIDNT CHANGE A COLOR GENE OR MUTATION!
Wooloothedarklord
Level 58
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 107
Posted: 11/24/2019 at 6:17 PM Post #37
>:( above
Dewshine
Level 75
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 328
Posted: 11/26/2019 at 9:42 AM Post #38
I have had any of mine stolen mostly cause i keep them private, but this is something i support very much. Yes i know they are just designs but i would be a mix of both annoyed and ticked if someone just went and stole a design i made for a pet or for that matter even if it wasn't my design i would still be annoyed to see someone stealing it from the person who actually made it. It's wrong on so many levels to steal something that isn't yours.

But something like this needs some way to be reported, like some kind of warning as well.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4
This Page loaded in 0.010 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.