Threads: 57
Posted: 2/4/2019 at 9:29 PM Post #13
You can put me on, I might need help and I can always help
Cryptidwoods
Level 60
Benevolent Brewer
Threads: 41
Posted: 2/4/2019 at 9:33 PM Post #14
Um hi? I'm Winter. I'm pinging everyone on the list, so sorry in advance if you were busy. I was just wondering if someone could help me with my art class(I'm supposed to do a portrait that represents myself, and I really need help), and maybe my Latin too. Sorry if I'm just wasting your time.
Murph
Level 67
Threads: 287
Posted: 2/4/2019 at 9:50 PM Post #15
I can't help with the latin, but I might be able to help with portraits! when you say 'represents' yourself, do you mean in a literal way (like a normal self portrait) or like a symbolic/metaphoric way with all your interests and things?
Icterus
Level 29
Threads: 23
Posted: 2/4/2019 at 9:52 PM Post #16
I'm in art classes right now and have some experience in the field, what exactly do you need to accomplish and what materials are you using?

Also can you add me to the pinglist? ((I totally forgot how to ping, ugh sorry for the confusion))
Edited By Icterus on 2/4/2019 at 9:55 PM.
Cryptidwoods
Level 60
Benevolent Brewer
Posted: 2/4/2019 at 10:25 PM Post #17
The project is a self-portrait that I feel represents me. While I think they meant it in the literal sense also, I think its mostly supposed to be, like you said, symbolic or metaphorical with our interests.

For the materials I'm using, they didn't really specify beyond the fact that I had to draw and color it. I want to try watercolor as I recently got a new set, but I never learned how to paint people with watercolor(They only taught us how to paint landscapes).

For what I want to accomplish, I think I want me in a purple-ish blue outfit with a galaxy in the background. I also want flowers somewhere in it, but I don't know where. I also kind of want a sylesti in it, because I fricking adore this game.
Edited By Winternova668 on 2/4/2019 at 10:27 PM.
Icterus
Level 29
Threads: 23
Posted: 2/4/2019 at 10:43 PM Post #18
Okay, first of all do you have lining pens? It works wonders with watercolor, however you should test them out with the water colors beforehand to check for bleeding. Paper is important too, however generic watercolor or mixed media paper should get the job finished just fine. (I personally use extra thick strathmore).

When working on a project you may want to pull up some references of body poses or even use your own photos of yourself to get the desired proportions. References of clothes and flowers may do well too, I encourage you to try experimenting on papers before you decide what you like.

When working with watercolor always be patient and let the paints dry before trying to add fine details or else you'll end up with muddied sadness. When layering colors you have the liberty to mix or not to mix depending on what you like, however remember to add colors lightest to darkest to add value to your piece bit by bit. A pallet my be helpful to save colors you like, such as skin tones and flower colors that you'd be able to access at later time.

On your subject matter I find it not lacking in any big ways, If executed right it will turn out to be stunning! However I do recommend to look up refs of animals with similar body structures to Sylesti to get everything down pat.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.
Carrotbae
Level 67
Fancy Pants
Threads: 158
Posted: 2/4/2019 at 11:39 PM Post #19
Hey! I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I can try. The first step in all of the art classes I've taken (drawing, jewelry, pottery, painting) is sketching. Usually I take about 10-20 minutes and sketch out on a extra piece a paper a rough draft. That way you can experiment and look at placement, balance, color and create a concept so you don't mess up on your final piece.

Next is decide a plan. Will you do background first? Do you want to do foreground first? Is it better to paint the background then the foreground so you don't smudge the foreground early on? It makes it so much easier if you have a plan of action.

My next suggestion is: sketch, contour, refine. This is what my drawing/painting teacher taught me. First you want to do the skeleton of the drawing. Then starting adding definition, this would be big shaded areas. Finally go back and take out grid lines, add fine detail etc. I don't know how gridding works with water colors (mainly used acrylics or free handed watercolors), but it can be very useful to make your base.

Sorry I can't be of more specific help ^^ I hope your art piece turns out the way you like it! If you're comfortable uploading a picture of it, I'd love to see the final project!
Cryptidwoods
Level 60
Benevolent Brewer
Posted: 2/4/2019 at 11:50 PM Post #20
Thank you both for the tips! I'm sure that it'll really help.

Also, when my project is done I would be happy to upload it! Thank you both again, it really means a lot to me :3
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3
This Page loaded in 0.010 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.