Forum Index > Bug Reporting > Site lag
Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Lanfear
Level 75
Spooky Shopper
Threads: 329
Posted: 8/28/2018 at 9:14 PM Post #1
Not sure what is going on, but I am not the only one experiencing it the past couple of days, but today seems really bad...to the point where avatar is crawling at a snails pace in the zone...

I have cleared my cache, and it does absolutely no good. Other sites are fine, not sure if host is having issues or updates or what...but its horrible :/

Sometimes, when its not lag, im speedy as heck...for maybe 10 minutes...and then back to a very slow, irritating crawl :((
Krinadon
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,114
Posted: 8/28/2018 at 10:52 PM Post #2
I think a lot of it is perception with how exploring works - I'm assuming you're basically just talking about exploring.

Since there's no forced delay on input (or output), the exploration loads at basically the max speed it possibly can given your connection and how quick the server can respond.

Since normal response times are as low as in the hundredths of seconds, it doesn't take much to make this feel 2, 3, 5x as slow. For example, if you're used to 0.02 response times and then all of a sudden it's jumping up to 0.10 response times. While that's only an increase of 0.08 seconds, it's 5x slower.

As far as I'm aware of, the server isn't having any issues. But a thousand things both locally or server-side can cause an increase of 0.08 seconds in load times - as that's not much at all.

Some games I play, despite having basically the best internet this country can offer, I'll run into 200ms latency during evenings routinely and then ~75 during off times and I know 100% it's not my internet. It's just general traffic, congestion on the pipelines to the server and back, and sometimes even the server itself.

TLDR: There probably isn't any real solution. The reason it feels laggy is because there's no limitation on load speeds so even the smallest increase in loadtime can be felt when spamming explorations. I would not consider a response time of a tenth of a second slow at all (that's 100ms, which is often considered a very strong connection for live action games - and for me, I typically average 10-20ms on Sylestia), however:

Loadtime of 0.10 per = 10 actions per second
Loadtime of 0.02 per = 50 actions per second

That is a MASSIVE difference for only an increase of 0.08s in load times, which is virtually nothing and can be caused by virtually anything.

Edit, just to add one final note - most other games have forced delays. For example, if you're playing like World of Warcraft, there are global cooldowns and such of typically 1-1.5 seconds. So having 50-100 or 200 ms is typically hardly noticeable.

But as I said, for Sylestia, we have no such forced delay.
Edited By Krinadon on 8/28/2018 at 10:57 PM.
Lanfear
Level 75
Spooky Shopper
Posted: 8/28/2018 at 11:06 PM Post #3
That makes a ton of sense. Used to be a Wow player, currently into Lotro.. But usually my characters don't come to a standstill, or walk like a sloth...I rubber band really really bad tho on WoW...

Its crazy the differences with servers between mmo's and browser games, and all the resources used.
Usually I can tell when its on my end, but its become difficult on browser games lol.

Today tho, here, id have 30m spots where my character would just move a spot, and take another 2-5 seconds to move another spot....and then once that whole thing ends, I'm just lightning speed.And this is just in the fest zone. LG is a bit different as far as lag, its more constant, char is just seems to be slower which is fine, its the LG, lots more added into there.

Thanks for the explanation, there have been several folks that have mentioned the lag in the last couple of days, thought I would ask.
Krinadon
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Site Administrator
Posted: 8/28/2018 at 11:13 PM Post #4
Don't get me wrong, exploring has a TON of room for improvements on my end (coding wise). It was one of the first things built on this website and due to how intertwined it is with everything, I can't just "fix it up". It has to be torn down and rebuilt or not changed at all.

So it's super inefficient in a lot of the things it does and there really is no easy, even moderate, solution available at this time.

I can't go by others since I basically only see my own response times, but like just now in the Festival zone my response times are about ~15ms - which is about as fast as any game can possibly respond while loading a bunch of data.
Lanfear
Level 75
Spooky Shopper
Posted: 9/5/2018 at 9:47 PM Post #5
Tell me this is normal...

Going thru a huge bout of site lag again, so thought it do a tracert

I mean, I have internet...lol, router checks out, all lights on, cords plugged in.. everything seems fine? except moving thru zone...only reason Im asking, is because I've not ever seen a tracert like this before haha

(a little unnerved about the whole net neutrality bs, so a tad paranoid about being slowed down too,but dont think there is much of a way to check that)
Edited By ALatteJava on 9/5/2018 at 9:50 PM.
Krinadon
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Site Administrator
Posted: 9/5/2018 at 11:03 PM Post #6
That isn't very normal, no lol.

Occasionally, locals will be blocked even if they are working fine so sometimes you may see some timeouts for the local until it hits the actual pipelines. But all timeouts other than our server itself is definitely not good.

This would be something to show your ISP and have them help you with.
Lanfear
Level 75
Spooky Shopper
Posted: 9/5/2018 at 11:30 PM Post #7
Ahh thanks. Yea, still trying to find out why I get these hiccups, because it seriously drives me nuts, to the point I've often thought about switching providers but the two other ones are worse, or at least were in the past when we trialed them.

Did find it strange! xD
Krinadon
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Site Administrator
Posted: 9/6/2018 at 1:21 PM Post #8
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=65562&page=1#7
Author: Lanfear
Time Posted: 9/5/2018 at 11:30 PM
Ahh thanks. Yea, still trying to find out why I get these hiccups, because it seriously drives me nuts, to the point I've often thought about switching providers but the two other ones are worse, or at least were in the past when we trialed them.

Did find it strange! xD

A game I've been playing lately; I've been having issues with. During prime time (when I typically play b/c it's at the end of the day), I average 150-200 latency which... is very noticeable and very foreign to me. I've played other games, like WoW, and I get 15-30 latency.

And then on top of that, lately, I keep getting minor bouts of drop outs. Sometimes even long enough where I get disconnected from the server.

Nothing else seems to have the issue other than just that game but I'm not really noticing other people on that game having my same issue so it seems isolated to me lol.

So it definitely is just one of those things where it "shouldn't" be happening, but it most definitely does and it's usually very hard to pinpoint why or how to fix it. But even multi-million triple A games suffer from it while using a top of the line Fiber service in a pretty popular area.

The best place to start though is always with your ISP. You are directly their customer and they have the most tools and information to diagnose a connection issue. If they come back saying, "It's not our fault, it's xyz's fault." Then you can take that information and reference and contact xyz for further diagnosing.

This Page loaded in 0.010 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.