Players 2,387 365
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,248,392 1,193
Generated 656,295 34
Captured 1,190,692 64
Bred 6,401,310 1,095
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Games, Contests, and Giveaways > The Joy of Designing: Round One - Voting
Page 1 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
BobRoss
Level 61
Fancy Pants
Threads: 102
Posted: 4/22/2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1
The Joy of Designing: Round One - Voting
Ends the 29th at 11:59pm

Workshop One: Open to All!

Voting

Everyone will receive 3 votes. You may vote for three different design sets - not individual designs. You may not put all three votes on one set, but you may elect to vote for less than 3. Feel free to leave comments for our designers about what you liked about their design and constructive criticism about what you would have liked to have seen done differently. All applicants are allowed to vote, but! You may not vote for your own design. I will know who's design belongs to who - so no sneaky stuff. :P YOU MAY NOT CHANGE YOUR VOTE IF YOU'VE ALREADY VOTED - there will be no edits allowed. Please do not reveal your designs to anyone until voting is over! Revealing your designs or getting your friends to vote for your design set will result in an automatic elimination. This means don't submit these designs in other contest and please don't submit them publicly on the generator! Please let me know if you'd like to be pinged for the voting threads! Please take the time to read each round's theme so you know the objective for each design.

Recommended: I recognize there is a lot to go through here, I ask you please pick out those you are drawn to, then look at all their information and references more in depth to make your decisions. (:

Round One Theme - Mythology

Please use different mythologies for each design set - if you use two mythologies in design set 1, please don't use either of those mythologies again. Please include any references used in the creation of your design.

Design Set 1 - For this design set, I ask you create a design pair based on god(s)/titan(s) in mythology - however these gods must be related in some way if you choose to represent more than one god in the pair. This is a fairly wide open category. The design for each may be totally different. You may use any species. You may use two different species for the pair. You may select any genders for the pair: two males, two females, or one of each. You may even choose two gods from different mythologies if you can tie them together. For example, you may choose the god of the dead from Japanese mythology and the god of the dead from Greek mythology for your pair. You may choose to do two gods who conflict, romantic interests, family, or are great friends. You may rather create a pair that represents one god. Please write a small description - one or two sentences - for your pair that includes the god, mythology, and the relationship if you choose to represent more than one god in your pair.

Design Set 2 - For this design set, please select a creature from mythology to be made into a pair. Include a male and female of the same species that show the same traits and palette. Please include the name of creature, the mythology it originates from, and how it is featured in the mythology.

Design Set 3 - For this design set, select a mythology you know little about and choose a god you find interesting or inspires you. Create a design pair (one male and one female) based off this god and include a small description about the god that includes what mythology, god, and why you selected this god. Please use the same traits, species, and palette. It is very likely there will be some research involved in this design!
Edited By BobRoss on 4/22/2018 at 4:15 PM.
BobRoss
Level 61
Fancy Pants
Posted: 4/22/2018 at 12:29 PM Post #2
Entry #1

Design 1:
Siblings Susanoo and Amaterasu
Japanese God of the Storm and Goddess of the Sun & Universe

Design 2:
The Scottish Kelpie
A large dark horse residing near water that lures humans into the water so it may prey on them.

Design 3:
Eostre
Germanic Goddess of Dawn
Closely tied to Easter, hairs, and spring.

Entry #2

Design 1:
Siblings Helios and Selene
Greek Titans of the Sun and Moon

Design 2:
The English Will O' the Wisps
Fairy-like creatures found in swamps which lure travelers off the roads to their deaths.

Design 3:
Danu
Irish Goddess of the Land - it's Fertility and Abundance
Nurturer and warrior.

Entry #3

Design 1:
Husband and Wife - Odin (Nyte) and Frigg (Ryori)
Norse God of Ravens, Wisdom, Healing, Death, Royalty, the Gallows, Knowledge, Battle, Sorcery, Poetry, Frenzy, and the Runic Alphabet and Goddess of Foreknowledge and Wisdom
I chose nytekrie for Odin to represent his raven companions, and ryori for Frigg because I felt ryori are an intelligent species and had traits I believe look fitting for her psychic abilities.

Design 2:
Celtic/Germanic Black Dog
Black dogs are nocturnal and (usually) malevolent entities found in European mythologies associated with death and the underworld.

Design 3:
Orunmila
The African Orisha or God of Wisdom
Born human and transcended upon death to become divine as a result of their extraordinary feats in life
I chose a lighira to represent Orunmila partly because lions are an iconic animal in Africa.

Entry #4

Design 1:
Siblings and Husband and Wife - Izanagi (male) and Izanami (Female)
Japanese God of Creation/Sky and Goddess of Creation and Death

Design 2:
The Greek Scylla
A sea monster who lives on the rocks in the water channel, opposite side of Charybdis.

Design 3:
Punga
The Maori God of Lizards, Sharks, and All Things Ugly or Weird

BobRoss
Level 61
Fancy Pants
Posted: 4/22/2018 at 12:29 PM Post #3
Entry #5

Design 1:
Sun Gods - Apollo and Ra
Greek Apollo (Lighira) and Egyptian (Ra)
While their colour schemes are very different and all around have a different approach, I chose them because of their relation to being the God's of the Sun. Apollo, according to Greek mythology, pulls the Sun through the sky on a gold chariot. He is also one of the most complex and important Gods. I chose to represent him as a Lighira because they are a proud, noble, and majestic creature which are all properties I see in Apollo. Ra, according to Egyptian mythology, is not only the God of the Sun but he is believed to have ruled over all parts of the ancient world. I decided to not go with the same fire like aspect for him because of the fact that he was more than just the God of the Sun.

Design 2:
The Romanian Vampire
I based my design more off of the European folklore that had the covered in dark shades unlike the more common pale glittering stories. Vampires have been recorded in most cultures thus leading them to be the protagonist in many tales of evil and demise. They are mainly found within Europe history and occasional cults.

Design 3:
Cernunnos
The Celtic Horned God of Fertility, Life, Animals, Wealth, and the Underworld

Entry #6

Design 1:
Fighting For Athens - Poseidon and Athena
Greek God of the Sea, Earthquakes, and Horses and Goddess of Wisdom, Athens, and Military Victory
Both of these gods were interested in being the Patrons of Athens. Each presented a gift to the Deity of Athens - Cecrops. Poseidon brought forth water, but it was deemed salty and Athena brought forth her spear and created an olive tree for peace. Cecrops chose Athena as the city's Patron and as a result Poseidon robbed Athens of a great deal of water - leaving Athens with water problems to this day.

Design 2:
The Chinese Kirin
The Kirin is a mythical hooved chimerical creature known in Chinese and other East Asian cultures, said to appear with the imminent arrival or passing of a sage or illustrious ruler. It is a good omen thought to occasion prosperity or serenity..

Design 3:
Bastet
The Goddess of Ancient Egyptian Religion, Warfare, and Cats

Entry #7

Design 1:
Husband and Wife - Hephaestus and Aphrodite
Greek God of the Forge, Fire crafts, and Fire and Goddess of Love and Beauty
For this I chose the morkko for Hephaestus because he looks big and strong, and has that feeling that he could work all day in the forge. The colors I chose were mostly to represent his being known as a god of fire and so I was looking for fire tones and cooled magma (hence the black) or smoke. The armor he wears is colored a more grey tone to symbolize the metal that he was known to work as a god of blacksmiths. The chains I used to indicate his disability, that of being crippled. I felt that even though he does great things even with the disability, the broken chains would represent that overcoming his disability, yet a reminder of it. I chose the aeridini for Aphrodite because I feel it is a beautiful and sleek sylesti. The colors chosen were those that I associate with love. The wings I chose to represent the little cupids could be seen around her, and the rose tail for the symbol of love. The Valentine's lace was chosen for two purposes: 1) to symbolize love and beauty, and 2) as a symbol of the magic net that Hephaestus used on Aphrodite and Ares when he caught them in their affair.

Design 2:
The Nores Rataoskr
Ratatoskr is the squirrel that is tasked with delivering messages between the eagle at the top of the Yggdrassl to the serpent at the roots. He runs up and down the tree delivering these messages day in and day out. There are some writings that depict Ratatoskr as keeping Thor alive after Ragnarok by feeding him pieces of Idunn's apples. I went very minimalistic with this design. I opted for browns with just a hint of red to them to represent the squirrel. I chose the Ferrikki because it so closely resembles a squirrel, but also because the male has the horns. The name Ratatoskr is believed to be broken down into into "drill tooth" and so I liked the antlers of the male to represent this aspect of the creature.

Design 3:
Meilikki
The Finnish Goddess of Nature, Forests, and the Hunt
Meilikki is the Finnish goddess of nature, forests, and the hunt. There is little that I could find on her outside of adaptations for fantasy roleplaying games. She was mentioned in the Kalevala, a Finnish national epic based on Karelian folklore. (According to wikipedia) She was known as a healer that would heal the paws of animals caught in traps that escaped or wounds received during courtships. She would also heal humans if they knew enough to ask for her help. Her name also comes from a word translating to mean luck. I had originally thought to use the lucky runes in g1 to represent this aspect of her, but it made the design feel too busy to me. The gene I went with here is more subtle but yet represents animals and how they have patterns to help with blending into their environments. I ultimately chose this species of Sylesti because I wanted the unicorn. I felt a connection when reading about Meilikki. I grew up in a rural area and spent a lot of time in the forests. I hunted with my father for food and gathered wood for our fire, but we never took more than we needed. These are values of Meilikki. I am a nurse and thereby a healer as is Meilikki. So I wanted to go with a unicorn because they are pure and beautiful creatures. The color scheme is a brown and green to symbolize the forest. I used lighter and darker shades of greens and browns to represent deeper areas of forest. The butterflies I did bright yellow because that to me was the shining of the sunlight dancing around her. And of course the blue peeking in from a clear blue sky. The Finnish national flower is the Lily of the Valley and so I wanted that represented by the spring flowers and so left them a softer shade of off-white.

Entry #8

Design 1:
Siblings - Amaterasu and Susanoo
Japanese God of the Storm and Goddess of the Sun & Universe

Design 2:
Egyptian Cats of Bast

Design 3:
The Morrigan
The Celtic God of War, Fate, Death, and Ravens
She who can shapeshift into a lovely woman, hag, or battle crow.

BobRoss
Level 61
Fancy Pants
Posted: 4/22/2018 at 12:30 PM Post #4
Entry #9

Design 1:
Both Sides of the Goddess Hel
Norse Goddess of the Dead
She is often depicted with a duality that splits her down the middle; Be it half flesh half skeleton, half blue half peach, or black and whit

Design 2:
Jackalope
American Mythology
They are wild, dangerous creatures whose looks bely their vicious demeanor. They are capable of mimicking human voices, and have been known to use this ability to lure people from safety, though theyve also been known to use the same ability to join in with sing-a-longs.

Design 3:
Sedna or Nuliajuk
The Inuit Goddess of the Sea and Marine Animals
In her origin story, she was human once and for one reason or another found herself hanging from the side of a boat. The person in the boat usually her father cut off her fingers leading her to fall down into the depths of the sea. Her fingers would become seals, and whales, walruses and all other sea creatures. Sometimes, the creatures of the ocean would get tangled in her long hair, and she would get upset because she had no fingers and could not comb them out. When this happened the sea would rage, and the people would not be able to hunt the captured animals. The only ones who could calm her down were the shamans, who would venture to the bottom of the sea and comb her hair for her, releasing the animals and otherwise soothing the goddess.

I chose her because her story interested me. It also gave me some vivid mental images to work with, and the aspects of her story the long flowing hair, her fingers being cut off, and the underwater element all drew me immediately to the idea of using Kelpari.

Entry #10

Design 1:
Father and Son - Kronos and Hades
Titan of Time and God of the Underworld

Design 2:
Wendingo
Inuit Mythology
A cannibalistic giant; a person who has been transformed into a monster by the consumption of human flesh.

Design 3:
Horus
The Egyptian God of the Sky and Presiding Pharaoh
A falcon headed man believed to be the king of all Egypt

Entry #11

Design 1:
Brothers - Zeus and Poseidon
Greek God of the Sky and Ruler of Olympian Gods and God of the Oceans, Earthquakes, and Horses

Design 2:
The Chinese Pixiu
It likes to bring it's master money and eats gold silver and jewels.
It's fur is supposed to be silvery white, but since it's often a jade ornament/pendant, I made it various shades of green, plus some golden hues.t's associated with luck and wealth. It's often put into jewelry as a fancy jade bead

Design 3:
Bastet
The Egyptian Goddess of Warfare and Cats

Entry #12

Design 1:
Anubis
Egyptian God of the Dead and Embalming

Design 2:
Native American Thunderbird
It controls the upper world, fights underwater spirits, controls rain and hail, like fighting and great deeds, and punish humans that are unmoral.
Little extra they were so big they could scoop up killer whales and when they flapped thunder boomed, also shot lighting out of their eyes.

Design 3:
Narasimha form of Vishnu
The Hindu God of Preservation and Sustain
One of the three Gods responsible for creation, upkeep, and destruction of the world.
Vishnu has several avatars - this is one of many.

BobRoss
Level 61
Fancy Pants
Posted: 4/22/2018 at 12:30 PM Post #5
Entry #13

Design 1:
Brothers Zeus and Poseidon
Greek God of the Skys and God of the Waters

Design 2:
Indo-European Werewolf
A human that has been placed under a curse and is inadvertently changed into a wolfman-like creature

Design 3:
Flora
The Roman God of the Flowers

Entry #14

Design 1:
Husband and Wife: Hades and Persephone
Greek God of the Underworld and Goddess of Harvest and Fertility
Feared by even some of the other gods hades was actually a very fair but stern ruler of the underworld. Persephone was the daughter of Demeter. Demeter hid her away to keep her innocent. Hades knew demeter would never agree to marriage and asked Zeus to help him kidnap persephone.

Design 2:
South American Carbuncle
Mostly sighted around the southern region of South America no one agrees on the carbuncle's appearance except that it has a jewel of some sort in it's forehead. Discribed many ways but mostly rodent-like traditionally. In recent times its discribed as cat-like or dog-like but have been discribed as everything from a rat to even a weasel or fox. They were/are hunted for their jewels which are said to bring fortune and joy.

Design 3:
Amaterasu
The Japanese Goddess of the Sun
Shes the sun goddess of shinto religion,The oldest japanese religion, and was born of Izanagi's right eye when he had to purify himself after breaking a promise to not look at the dead of the underworld.

Entry #15

Design 1:
Husband and Wife: Vishnu and Lakshmi
Hindu God - The Preserver and Protector - and Goddess of Wealth, Fortune, and Prosperity
Vishnu is is the Hindu preserver and protector of the universe. Lakshmi is the Hindu goddess of wealth, fortune and prosperity, and the wife of Vishnu.

Design 2:
Nordic Kraken
The Kraken comes from Nordic mythology and is a ginormous sea creature that resides deep on the ocean floor. The Kraken attacks boats and because of its size, leaves a whirlpool in its wake.

Design 3:
Bastet
The Egyptian Goddess of War, Cats, Sun and Moon
Bastet was originally a fierce lioness warrior goddess of the sun in Ancient Egypt, then became a goddess of warfare and protector of cats, then a goddess of the moon.

Entry #16

Design 1:
Brothers: Loki and Thor
Norse God of Mischief and God of Thunder

Design 2:
Zoroastrainism Angel
Angels are the messengers of Gods, protectors, or even punishers.

Design 3:
Cernunnos
Celtic God of Fertility, Life, Animals, Wealth, and the Underworld

BobRoss
Level 61
Fancy Pants
Posted: 4/22/2018 at 12:31 PM Post #6
Entry #17

Design 1:
Siblings: Helios and Selene
Greek God of the Sun and Goddess of the Moon
Helios and Selene, the Greek Titans in charge of the Sun and Moon. Children of Hyperion and Theia, with another sibling Eos, the embodiment of dawn, but these two designs focus mainly on the two.

Design 2:
Devon Hellhound
Hellhounds have been said to be as black as coal and smell of burning brimstone. They tend to leave behind a burned area wherever they go. Their eyes are a deep, bright, and almost glowing red. They have razor sharp teeth, super strength, and speed, and are commonly associated with graveyards and the underworld.

Design 3:
Aztec Quetzacoatl
God of Wind and Learning, Boundary between Earth and Sky
In his human form.

Entry #18

Design 1:
Across Cultures: Anubis and Marcaria
Egyptian God and the Dead and Greek Goddess of the Dead
These two god are both gods of Death. Anubis is from Egyptian Mythology and Marcaria is from Greek Mythology and is the Daughter of Hades.

Design 2:
Ethiopian Bouda
In Africa the Bouda is a Werehyena. It is believed the Blacksmiths in Ethiopia posses the power to transform into a Hynena during the night when they will robs the graves of the dead.

Design 3:
Japanese Amaterasu
Goddess of the Sun and Universe
In his human form.

Entry #19

Design 1:
Duality: Konohanasakuya-hime
Goddess of Life
Konohanasakuya-hime was featured in Japanese mythology. Although she was the goddess of volcanoes, her symbol was sakura (aka cherry blossom). The two designs differ greatly based on those two sides of her.

Design 2:
Irish Banshee
Banshees were creatures in Irish mythology who appeared and wailed/shrieked/screamed when a person was about to die.

Design 3:
Egyptian Khonsu
God of the Moon

Entry #20

Design 1:
Duality: Janus
Roman God of Peace and War, Beginnings and Endings, Doorways, Gateways, and Choices
Since the last three are hard to design around, I decided to combine the ideas of peace/war and beginning/ending in this design. Also, since Janus is literally two-faced and is defined by opposites and choices, he seemed an obvious muse for this challenge. I chose to use the qitari as the vehicle for this design because of the traits they have available.

Design 2:
Chilean Alicanto
Alicanto is a mythical bird from the Atacama desert and comes from Chilean mythology. This bird is said to have metallic coloured wings and they were supposed to feed on gold and silver. In Chilean mythology, it was believed that, if a miner followed the Alicanto without being caught, the bird would lead them to this gold and silver.

Design 3:
Hindu Brahma
God of Creation
Brahma is the god of creation in Hinduism, and is one of the three major gods of this religion (Brahma, Shiva, and Vishnu). The colours I concentrated on were: white, purple, yellow, and pink. I chose the sylvorpa as the vehicle of this design because of their lotus traits, since the lotus seems to be a big symbol in Hinduism.

Entry #21

Design 1:
The Story of Ra (Aurleon) and Apep (Aeridini)
God of the Sun and God of Chaos
From Egyptian mythology come Ra and Apep, in simple terms Ra being the god of the sun and Apep being the god of chaos. It is said every night Apep tries to stop the sun boat Ra is upon by either consuming it or stopping it in its tracks with a hypnotic stare.

Design 2:
Ewe Adze
The Adze is a vampiric being of Ewe folklore. The Adze takes the form of a firefly, and in firefly form will pass through closed doors and suck blood from people as they slept. The people would then fall sick and die.

Design 3:
Hawaiian Lono
Hawaiian God of Fertility, Rainfall, Music, and Peace
[Ive always been interested in Hawaiian culture and mythology but had little chance to explore it before, and I chose this deity in particular because I found it neat how heavily associated with rainfall he was and thought itd be neat to try and mix the plants that represented him with the rainfall theme./i]

Grapejuice
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 155
Posted: 4/22/2018 at 12:32 PM Post #7
I put one vote on Entry #3 (especially because of Greek Titans Helios and Selene)
BobRoss
Level 61
Fancy Pants
Posted: 4/22/2018 at 12:34 PM Post #8
Hello Grapejuice, there are actually 3 votes allocated to each voter. (: However, there are no edits allowed on votes. ^^" If you would like to use your additional two, feel free to leave them in another comment.
BobRoss
Level 61
Fancy Pants
Posted: 4/22/2018 at 12:36 PM Post #9
Courtesy Ping

Voting is Officially Open ~
Dinnerbone
Level 75
The Artistic
Threads: 40
Posted: 4/22/2018 at 12:43 PM Post #10
19, 16, and 5!

(I'm already on the pinglist right?)
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
This Page loaded in 0.015 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.