Forum Index > Suggestion Box > Sylesti Death and Diamonds
Page 1 1, 2, 3 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Nee
Level 61
Threads: 12
Posted: 9/14/2013 at 7:12 PM Post #1
Hello everyone,

I was reading through a few of these ideas and a lot of them revolve around players not having enough space in their stables for all the sylestis they have. Well, how about having sylestis age and then die? I suggest this because it will free up the space in your stables and would also allow Sylestia to earn some more money selling a product that would stop and/or slow down the aging process.

However, if sylestis do start dying, then I would suggest for Sylestia to compensate the loss with a diamond or something of equal worth for the sylesti that died, because people have spent real money on these sylestis and the the death of a valuable sylesti could cause people to become angry over its loss. Hopefully, a diamond would cushion the blow and would turn their minds to purchasing Sylestia goods with their new diamond.

Moreover, with this chance to earn diamonds without first having to purchase them, Sylestia would then reach a new audience of children unable to purchase online game goods. In this way, Sylestia's economy would receive a boost because of new individuals participating in the market. In addition, sylestis listed For Sale would start having real value and would start being sold for more gold than 01 golds, because there would be space for them in players' stables and also because the sylestis' genes would become a perishable commodity.

Furthermore, with the hatch-rate matching or surpassing the death-rate, the breeding aspect of this game would become more than just cosmetic but would actually become a challenge, like beat the clock. For instance, you have a year from the moment your sylesti hatches and you need to train it and then breed it to receive the best quality hatchling possible before its death. This aspect of the game would ensure that the dedicated player would become even more active while also causing the causal player to become more active and, as a result, both types of players would spend more time on the site and Sylestia would have more opportunities to sell their products.

Then, lets not forget the value of a diamond. With more diamonds in the system, the objects worth diamonds do not loose value but gain a larger customer base. Although some players will patiently wait for their sylestis to die of natural causes and collect their death diamonds, other players would see these diamonds as a reason to buy more diamonds just so they can buy that nifty new gadget or essence or philter or custom order all the sooner. Either way, the player ends up spending money, either dollars for diamonds or gold for sylestis to age and die, which would fuel the Sylestia economy, which would ultimately result in Sylestia eventually earning back its original death-diamond.

In the end, I believe having sylestis die would be a benefit to this game. It would cause money to be spent and sylestis to be sold at a faster pace and it would add a level of challenge to this game that I believe is lacking in its current form.

So, what do you all think?

Sinarri
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Threads: 0
Posted: 9/14/2013 at 7:45 PM Post #2
I'm going to have to disagree to the idea. I don't know about other players, but I am quite fond of a lot of my sylesties, and I'd hate to permanently lose them, even if I did get something in return.
Nee
Level 61
Posted: 9/14/2013 at 8:11 PM Post #3
Quote From:
Originally Posted: 5/2/2024 at 10:54:52pm

I'm going to have to disagree to the idea. I don't know about other players, but I am quite fond of a lot of my sylesties, and I'd hate to permanently lose them, even if I did get something in return.

@Sinarri

Hello Sinarri,

I am glad you posted, because you have given me an opportunity to point out a part of my idea that I think many will miss.

I agree that there are sylestis of mine that I don't want to die because I have spent so much time in their training and so on. But with death comes the incentive to breed the best hatchling possible because you only have that sylesti for a short time. Also, the game Sylestia wants to make money off its players, so they would almost assuredly end up offering new products intended to prolong a sylesti's life and/or make it immortal, which would allow for you to save the few sylestis you are attached to and then reap the benefits of death from the others.

Now diamonds don't have to be the death compensation. It could be an essence or something, and that's up for debate too. I just thought diamonds would be easier overall, since with diamonds you could buy essences.
Crystal25152
Level 66
Trickster
Threads: 365
Posted: 9/14/2013 at 8:20 PM Post #4
@Nee
Why don't there be immortality stones and pandora box?
Edited By 7997 on 9/14/2013 at 8:21 PM.
Nee
Level 61
Posted: 9/14/2013 at 8:27 PM Post #5
Quote From:

@Nee
Why don't there be immortality stones and pandora box?

@Crystal25152
Hi Crystal25152,

I believe you are referencing Howrse's black market items of Pandora Boxes that are used to bring back the dead. Well, I don't see why they wouldn't be offered, since there can be all types of products made available to mitigate sylesti death. However, for them to become available, sylestis have to die first.

Edited By 7885 on 9/14/2013 at 8:40 PM.
Karenza
Level 70
High Warlord
Threads: 59
Posted: 9/14/2013 at 9:35 PM Post #6
I hate to make a short post on such a long explained, well-thought out post, and I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk for this, but NO.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Some of my Sylesties are worth more to me than all the diamonds and items and essences in the whole of Sylestia combined. I apologize. I'm 100% against this idea. There's no incentive they could possibly offer to make my pets dying be worth it. I'd like to think a lot of people would feel the same way, but I can only speak for myself.
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,119
Posted: 9/14/2013 at 9:46 PM Post #7
At this time, we don't plan on ever making Sylesties die. It is a decision we made at the very beginning and we intend on sticking with that decision for the indefinite future.

However, we have been brainstorming multiple ideas to address the issue of too many pets. We are definitely aware of the growing trend and will be implementing some attempts to improve the issue in the near future.
Nee
Level 61
Posted: 9/14/2013 at 10:24 PM Post #8
Quote From:

I hate to make a short post on such a long explained, well-thought out post, and I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk for this, but NO.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Some of my Sylesties are worth more to me than all the diamonds and items and essences in the whole of Sylestia combined. I apologize. I'm 100% against this idea. There's no incentive they could possibly offer to make my pets dying be worth it. I'd like to think a lot of people would feel the same way, but I can only speak for myself.

Hi Vevina,

I do not think your post caused you to sound like a jerk, just adamant about your opinion.

I hope you don't mind, but I went to look through your stable and I noticed that you have many very pretty sylestis and I agree with you that they are worth protecting. I can even see why you think their deaths would be such an extreme loss. However, I also have to say that, due to this very desire to protect these sylestis, - a feeling many more players will share - it therefore makes sylesti deaths all that more profitable to Sylestia, because it is in the business of making money off its players and they already know that people will pay for immortality potions, just as they'll continue to pay for diamonds and other game bonuses.

So, unless keeping all these sylestis alive suddenly becomes worth the cost of maintaining all that game memory for creatures that do nothing but sit in a stable and starve, sylesti death was probably already a foregone conclusion anyway. All I did was just write up a proposal, offering players the opportunity to dictate terms before their sylestis go marching into that long good night.

Then again, maybe I am wrong.

All I know for sure is that constantly feeding sylestis that don't die seems a little weird to me, same as trying to imagine the world that they live in. Always there are more hatchlings, but never will there be enough room or food to provide for their growth. They can never escape the ever present pain of starvation, and so they must suffer forever. They can be knocked unconscious, but they never ever die. Sounds like one of Dante's infernos to me.

Karenza
Level 70
High Warlord
Threads: 59
Posted: 9/14/2013 at 11:28 PM Post #9
I know Krin has already addressed this thread (and on that note, YAAAY!), but I want to respond to the points made to me anyway.

Quote From:

it therefore makes sylesti deaths all that more profitable to Sylestia, because it is in the business of making money off its players and they already know that people will pay for immortality potions, just as they'll continue to pay for diamonds and other game bonuses.

If this game ever goes that route, I will stop playing it. There are plenty of nicer ways they can make money without permitting our pets to die.

Quote From:

All I know for sure is that constantly feeding sylestis that don't die seems a little weird to me, same as trying to imagine the world that they live in. Always there are more hatchlings, but never will there be enough room or food to provide for their growth. They can never escape the ever present pain of starvation, and so they must suffer forever. They can be knocked unconscious, but they never ever die. Sounds like one of Dante's infernos to me.

One of the great things about games is that they don't have to be realistic. Realism can add to a game in great ways, just as fantasy can. In real life, I have a cat. I feed her, clean up her messes, and give her my love. I know one day she's going to leave this world, likely before I do. That's fine, because it's real life, and that's how real life works. Sylestia isn't real life. It's fun and unrealistic, and that's part of the appeal to me. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about losing pets from aging or starvation. They'll live for as long as this site does, and that's an acceptable break from reality for me. It's a lovely fantasy the makers of this game have given us.

Also, I make sure I have plenty of gold to buy and restock my feed every day so that all my pets will always have full tummies, even if I'm going to sell/release them. Feeding a pet is one of the first things I do when I catch a new one. I keep well stocked on potions/elixirs and make sure to keep their health up in battles so they won't get KO'd as much as I can possibly ensure it. They do all the hard work for me, so I feel it's only right to make sure they're being well taken care of! Just because some people aren't taking good care of their pets doesn't mean we're all doing the same.
Ash
Level 70
The Hallowed
Threads: 44
Posted: 9/15/2013 at 12:40 AM Post #10
As Krin said, there are currently some methods in development to help cut down on the evergrowing sylesti population.

That said, this sounds like more of a hindrance than a benefit. Many many gold sinks have been created recently, and gold sinks should generally be done in a way that makes players happy (for example, the roaring success of the new gold prices for Puffadores and Nyvene have certainly taken some gold out of the system) and crafting will be soon to come which will remove another massive chunk, no doubt. However, making pets die is a gold sink that punishes the players, rather than rewards them, especially players that take breaks from the game. I know plenty of people who, even though the game came out less than a year ago, have taken several month breaks. Someone takes a break and if the pets they are attached to are going to just die, there's very little incentive to return to the game. Sure, it may make them play for a little bit longer than they would have, but eventually people want to put down a game for awhile and go play something else.

Also, this could potentially hurt the economy of the game, diamond sales, and increase overpopulation, depending on what the rewards were for a sylesti's death. Giving anything other than a small gold reward would result in people keeping their stables full of unwanted pets so that they could collect whatever diamonds/essences they would get at their deaths. If it gives diamonds, diamond sales would likely fall because there's an easy way to get them in game. If it drops essences, the worth of essences would once again fall because 1: why buy them when all you have to do is have a single stable tab dedicated to unwanted pets and then every once in awhile you'll get 25 essences. Absolutely no effort involved, and multiply that by however many spare stables some people have.

Of course, these are not guaranteed results, but they outcomes that I think should be considered before making this kind of decision.

I just don't believe this could lead to an overall benefit for the game. You are correct in that it would help with a few specific problems, however those are problems that can be fixed through other means, and implementing this would cause as many issues as it would solve.
Edited By 2539 on 9/15/2013 at 12:45 AM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.