Forum Index > News and Announcements > Introducing Starter Bundles
Page 2 1, 2, 3, 4 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Electrifying
Level 70
The Tender
Threads: 28
Posted: 4/5/2017 at 11:26 PM Post #11
Man, if I haven't already bought 2/3 kits I would go for them!
Dragonnadder
Level 71
Nature Walker
Threads: 32
Posted: 4/5/2017 at 11:31 PM Post #12
Oh. My. Gosh. That is a seriously-
this is a joke, right?
this is unbelievable.
Dryad
Level 60
Threads: 2
Posted: 4/6/2017 at 2:14 AM Post #13
As a pretty new player (Maybe a month, now?), I still don't know what half of these items actually do, and would not feel comfortable spending money on them. Most have a summarized description, but a lot of the information is lost on new players, especially the vague explanations (What counts as 'extremely accurate'?, What is the point of pet costumes, just aesthetics? etcetc).
One thing I've noticed is that researching information is little hard here on Sylestia, as there is no forum searching. I often find myself Googling key words, hoping for the best, or spending a hefty amount of time digging through pages trying to find answers for specific things.
So my 2 cents here, I guess, is if you want to entice new players into spending money here, make sure they're well informed on the carrots you're dangling! :)
Edited By Dryad on 4/6/2017 at 3:05 PM.
Lavelle
Level 60
The Majestic
Threads: 77
Posted: 4/6/2017 at 7:26 AM Post #14
I have to be honest and say that I think hoping to get money out of a player within the first 14 days of account creation is possibly not the best idea as it feels rather pay to play.

Now, of course, we know that these items are not a necessity and nobody needs to spend to get these items really - you can even acquire diamonds on the currency exchange - but we are thinking the very first two weeks of play from when someone first signs in. They'll spend time customising their avatar, going through the tutorial, trying to learn the site and adjust to it. These things can easily take days.

This, alongside the fact new players need time to actually learn what these items do through exploring the game and levelling up to a point where they would actually use these things (without wasting them and later regretting it) and 14 days isn't a lot of time. For more "hardcore" players who might join having a 14 day timelimit on being able to get ahead in the game is something that I think would be offputting. We all know that I am someone who is willing to spend money on gaming sites (aka me picking up these bundles as a newer player would be in the realm of possibility) so I do feel my opinion on this might be something shared by others so I'll come right out and say it - if I joined a site and had 14 days limited time offer to spend real money and get items which, even if I'm not sure what they do, are clearly items I want - I would not spend the money and I would be put off because that is essentially asking for money from me immediately after signup.

I can understand we older players having 2 weeks to pick these up, but I strongly suggest you change these starter bundles to be available for something like the first eight weeks after account creation. That's time for someone to understand the game and want to contribute to get a limited time offer on a reasonable timescale.

EDIT to add: Forgot to say, do love the idea of these bundles, nice idea, definitely would have bought as a newbie... after a couple of weeks ;)
Edited By Lavelle on 4/6/2017 at 7:44 AM.
Kyokai
Level 60
The Majestic
Threads: 53
Posted: 4/6/2017 at 9:07 AM Post #15
Awww! Such a good deal; I wish I hadn't bought my 2 out of the 3 kits.. But then, I did get 2-3 years' use out of them so... Can't cry over spilled milk I guess.

It's definitely a good deal. There's some talk about 14 days not being enough time. I both agree and disagree. Most mmo games with subscriptions offer a 14 day free trial, after which you have to start paying which is generally 15 bucks. PS4's trial is only 7 days for you to figure out if you like it. So, 14 days seems okay to me, however with the cost being 30 bucks, which is totally fair for what is being bought and I'm jealous that the newbies / people-who-didn't-already-buy-these-things get such a good deal, perhaps the time should be 4 weeks.

*shrugs* Since it would end up being wasteful for me to purchase, as much as I want to *sniffle*, none of this really concerns me. I just wanted to add my (perhaps unwanted) two-cents.

I like the bundle a lot. If there are currently concerns people have with not being able to get info about this site (which is currently an issue), I think it'll be solved when the site gets the MegaZone and we eventually move from Beta.

Also, also.. I would totally get the bundle if I could give / sell the other kits to someone else. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen but I thought I'd also throw that out there~
Lavelle
Level 60
The Majestic
Threads: 77
Posted: 4/6/2017 at 10:20 AM Post #16
Kyokai that's actually part of my main concern. Sylestia is wonderful regardless of whether or not you spend money on the game, but actually having something sat in a diamond shop with a 2 week timer on it as a new player suggests the need to make a payment choice within the first two weeks.

Of course, the issue is that we know it's not a true representation, it's what it will appear as for a new player who doesn't know the admins, doesn't know the community and doesn't know the intricacies of the game that concerns me. If it brings up thoughts such as free to play/trial periods as you mentioned even to those of us who are already integrated in the community, how would it appear to a new player? Is that the way Sylestia really wants to go?

I'm just a player so I genuinely don't know what path the admins want to take Sylestia down because it's nothing to do with me, but this really sticks out to me. It's a very short period of time in the grand scheme from discovering a game to losing the option to purchase.
Edited By Lavelle on 4/6/2017 at 10:21 AM.
Lostwords13
Level 71
Vanquisher of Undead
Threads: 113
Posted: 4/6/2017 at 10:39 AM Post #17
I do like the idea of the bundles. I honestly really wish we had them when I was new (despite some of the items not even being in existence at that time haha) but i do also agree with Lav. 14 days seems like a very small window for what is contained inside...

For the most part, the items are more geared towards breeding, namely the philters and test kit. When a newbie joins, their starter is only an adolescent. They will get a second pet, which may or may not be an adolescent as well, but those are the only guaranteed pets a newbie will have. Just looking at those two pets, they won't be able to breed for a while after that 14 day time period, which is when the test kit would be most useful.

As for the other items:
The scanner would be nice, yes, but that early on a newer player will not have a lot of stable space. Therefore, chances are they are not going to be catching a lot of pets within that first week or two. In general,a this point users are still trying to understand the game rather than catch pets with certain traits.

The infertility kit is another thing entirely. Similar to the test kit, new users are not going to be breeding a lot within the first few weeks. One of the biggest reasons people even use the infertility kit is to prevent people from reselling/overbreeding projects they have spent ridiculous amounts of time, energy, and money on. A new player of 14 days wouldn't even know what these /are/, let alone actually have use for the item. Now an advanced new player who picks up quickly and starts on a project right away, could probably make use of it after a month of two.

I just feel like the timeframe is too short. During 14 days, a new player of average freetime is not going to be fully aware of what these items do. They are still going to be focused on learning the game mechanics, leveling their starter pet, and working on the storyline. I feel like for the first 2 weeks, a new player would not have invested the time or energy into breeding etc like these are geared towards. Besides, at that point they will not have a lot of stable space or gold to feed pets, so will likely have /fewer/ pets as a result. At such low amounts, many older players are willing to test pets etc for free. Until a user starts getting several pets per testing request, there isnt a huge reason to have these items. Its honestly jsut the time period that doesnt feel right with me.

As Lavelle said, its kind of a rough first impression to have something like this with that short of a timer. It feels to me like asking a player if they want to be a free to play player or a pay to play player, and if they dont choose RIGHT NOW its going to be a disadvantage for them. One of the things that really drew me in when Is tarted was that I could be free to play and if i later decided to pay for stuff, i could still do so without having a disadvantage to those who had been able to buy diamonds on day 1. It's honestly what made me /willing/ to pay in the future.
Edited By Lostwords13 on 4/6/2017 at 10:42 AM.
Elimini
Level 66
Fright Master
Threads: 48
Posted: 4/6/2017 at 10:53 AM Post #18
As someone who has joined within the past year, I can honestly say that I do not feel like 14 days is enough time. Had it not been for friends in the beginning, I wouldn't have any idea what most of the items included in the bundles would be for. It wasn't until fall festival that I knew what pies were or what they did and it was some short time before that that I knew what prismatic philters were for and the importance of them. Not everyone who joins Sylestia is lucky enough to have been brought to the site by friends and would not have that support or feel comfortable enough to ask a stranger about the importance of these items. Overall, I think that the bundle is great but at $30 USD and a limit of an account age of two weeks, I do not feel that this is fair. Had I joined and saw that, I would most certainly feel as though it was pay to play. At that young of an account age, users would not have enough time to reach the 2,500:1 diamond conversion rate to cover the cost of 8,250,000 gold if they chose not to spend real money. This also makes me think of how long it took me to realize that you could exchange one for the other which was quite some time through, once again, the help of friends. I really hope that this is a flashy enough thought to show you the importance of raising the limit. It's an astronomical amount of gold and or diamonds for someone between just signed up and the account age of 14 days to reach.

I would love to see this timeframe lengthened to months rather than weeks, maybe factoring in the amount of time between festivals and allot for time after where people are buying and selling and making the most income sitewise where they would potentially garner enough gold to exchange to buy the items.
Edited By Elimini on 4/6/2017 at 10:56 AM.
Katelynn4545
Level 71
The Artistic
Threads: 345
Posted: 4/6/2017 at 2:35 PM Post #19
I can see where you are coming from, but I don't think lengthening the time will fulfill the purpose you want. It takes a long time to save gold for a diamond exchange, but its more for small items, not a large Item like the fest packs or this starter pack. Also this is not the only way to obtain the items in the pack, so players can always save up to buy after the 14 day period, and this may be a more preferable option as somethings can't be traded other players.
But I do think 14 is an odd number, that's two weeks, and I know as someone having been her for almost three years now that I and others have always considered Newbies anyone 32 days or under. A month is about the max amount of time it takes to fully implement yourself in the site and get to know the community and make a financial decision. Two weeks just seems a bit rushed, but any more than a month would be too long for new players.
I also feel it should be made known to new players that they will not be at a disadvantage if they do not buy the pack.
Thanks for doing this to begin with Krin, and I hope this feed back helps Elimini ^-^

Katelynn4545
Edited By Katelynn4545 on 4/6/2017 at 2:36 PM.
Elimini
Level 66
Fright Master
Threads: 48
Posted: 4/6/2017 at 3:19 PM Post #20
You misunderstood what I was saying. I was just pointing out that 8,000,000 gold to exchange for diamonds within 2 weeks of signing up is unfeasible so it makes it a pay only option given that short period of time.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.