Forum Index > General Discussion > Released Pets Stigma and Concerns
Page 2 1, 2, 3 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Lokiarti
Level 61
Threads: 107
Posted: 1/13/2017 at 9:45 PM Post #11
released pets in the megazone? beware of the flying cats then. :D

well, recently I've started to dye my pets a lot! I mean, those lesser dyes are not toxic, right? right???
that helps me to correct their colors if they have nice traits but a horrible color scheme. however, I prefer to use no more than one or two LPDs, otherwise it becomes too expensive - if I don't like a lot of colors and the pet's traits are not the ones I need the most, I'd rather release it and try to breed another one.

I'd like to point out that none of my pets are themed (except those that I'm planning to sell). myself, I wouldn't dye a themed pet, though I don't mind if others do it - there was a discussion of that in the suggestion forum as far as I know.
Xavion
Level 75
The Perfectionist
Threads: 434
Posted: 1/13/2017 at 9:48 PM Post #12
>__>

I have personally released so many pets that when I try to search for them, I get the error message.

Too many results. Please narrow your parameters.

Even searching for just the un-named pets, I get the exact same result. :D

Going through species to species, I estimated about 30k pets released by me. And with the dozens of projects yet to come, that number will continue to grow.

So obviously, I see absolutely no problem at all with releasing pets. It isn't like the game is saying "euthanize the unwanted pets! >:}" Instead you're just letting them return to the wild, which is where most of the species come from anyway. (All except for the Puffadore and the Ny'vene.)

As for the reason why I have so many released pets. One word: PROJECTS. I've been working countless themed and unique projects for more than three years now. Many projects I've completed, and whatever is left when I'm done is given the boot to make more space for the active projects. If a hatchling comes along that's a step DOWN for the gene pool (ie: not enough traits, or not the needed/wanted traits) it gets the boot; can't use it without risking even more failed hatchlings, and don't want to hold onto it just to take up valuable stable space. If a breeder runs out of usefulness and the next generations are superior enough, that pet will get the boot, too. If a completed project pet is put up for sale and sits around for months and months, it also gets the boot. Pretty though it may be, no one wants it, I don't need it, but I DO need that stable slot!

Without releasing these, I would have needed 400 stables by now. Heck, I'm already at 40!

The only time that seeing released pets does give me a sad feeling, is when it's one of those exclusive themed pets that many players spent THOUSANDS of diamonds just for one. It wouldn't have taken too much effort at all to find a new home for a pet like that, (there's a forum group dedicated to keeping these around!) and themed pet collectors tend to really love and appreciate their tagged beauties. Some even have a real passion for collecting some of the less wanted traits, like Mourninglily's love of Tentacle Winged Aeridini.

So, there's my opinion. :3
Lokiarti
Level 61
Threads: 107
Posted: 1/13/2017 at 9:48 PM Post #13
poor baby factories, oh my. I actually felt bad for naming all my 6-vis cats... well, "6-vis". that helps a lot when I'm searching through my pets though, but when you put it like this... too bad there's no option to mark a pet some other way than naming it.
Fennecfyre
Level 46
Threads: 6
Posted: 1/13/2017 at 10:10 PM Post #14
-cackles- Yeeees, feel the guilt >:D Nah but for real though, at the end of the day this is all virtual, so ya'll run your stables the way you want to. This is a good site for churning out names, though, if you do want to try naming some of your beasties. And I agree with Loki, having a secondary way to tag/write notes on pets would be useful.
Lavelle
Level 60
The Majestic
Threads: 77
Posted: 1/13/2017 at 10:21 PM Post #15
I'm an outspoken fan of the virtues of releasing your pets. There are simply too many pets for there to be demand for all of them, so we end up with hundreds of pages of pets set for 1 gold clogging up advanced search only being bought by newbies who haven't yet realised that it costs money to stable and feed your pets. This, in turn, inevitably leads to people desperately posting threads in Pet Auctions trying to sell pets because they need the money to pay to feed their pets/space so their hatchlings won't get released because they bought more super cheap pets than they could handle because people will post absolutely anything for 1 gold in the mistaken belief it'll lead to a quicksale rather than it just sitting there for weeks in amongst all the other super cheap pets. Better for pets that aren't wanted and are worth essentially nothing - 1 gold - to be released and allow the economy to breathe a bit. Let newbies save up and purchase more expensive pets they can afford to feed once they've learnt the mechanics of the game rather than there being a cycle of buying cheap pets, not being able to feed them, rehoming them with someone else who won't be able to feed them and will try and sell them asap, and so on and so forth.

Releasing isn't a permanent feature, and there wouldn't be any of the gorgeous multi vis projects we see around without it. The release contests we occasionally get are a welcome relief in my eyes.
Savynn
Level 75
Sweet Solver
Threads: 214
Posted: 1/14/2017 at 12:27 PM Post #16
I've wondered before that if the ability to see lineages was an earlier feature if things would be different. But by the time that we could see lineages there were already so many pets that had already been released. Then again, sylesties breed really, really fast. So even then I doubt the community in the end would care that much. I think it would be very tiresome to come up with so many names for project pets, etc.

I'm personally happy that the community here is more easy going about naming. Naming a pet a name that it'll have permanently is rather stressful to me.

I have a problem with a lot of unnamed pets myself. It's not that I don't care about them. It's just that I'm not very creative with coming up with names. I'm both picky and uncreative. And to make it worse the only way to undo a name that you don't feel good about is to nurture for philters of amnesia. I think if philters of amnesia were more easy to obtain I would have a lot more named pets. If I'm going to nurture pets for something, I'd rather it be dyes. I have tons of pets that I want to make look prettier. So long as they're currently unnamed, I can still name them later. There's a comfort in that.
AuroWander
Level 74
The Hallowed
Threads: 16
Posted: 1/15/2017 at 11:45 AM Post #17
I have released a bunch of pets. They all got plenty of love but just had to go. I was stark out of space, I wanted to bed Griffis. So I slowly worked my way through them all. It doesn't bother me too much. They were mainly ugly nixis. I still have some. I really love the ones I do still have.
Jade07
Level 50
The Artistic
Threads: 219
Posted: 1/15/2017 at 2:41 PM Post #18
i try not to release but i always have no space i hated when my favorite qit i bred tanaca got released i never would have i hated it i cried to my mommy a little and even tho i am 9 i never cry to my mommy i hate to release anything even give up pets on a unnamed site to a quest that will probably give me money [its note her]
Luxa
Level 75
Threads: 85
Posted: 1/30/2017 at 3:56 PM Post #19
I adore buying and releasing pets that are set up for 1g. The pet was probably not appreciated and its one gold sale price was lowering the value of its species, i help them out and set them free. There is a difference between a free pet on the advanced search, and accepting a free pet from someone. If it's for cheap on the advanced search, i buy and release, if someone gives a pet to me, i keep it or find it a home.
Ephemeral
Level 75
Guardian
Threads: 168
Posted: 1/30/2017 at 4:28 PM Post #20
I personally have not released too many pets, but I have released cute pets because I did not have the space, I feel really bad for releasing them, especially a couple nice regen puffs. XP I dislike having to release project pets.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.