Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Fan Fiction > Niereth's Lair
Page 1 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
AtomicBomb354
Level 61
Threads: 4
Posted: 12/22/2016 at 11:47 AM Post #1
WARNING! This fan-fiction will be dark, and contains scenes of mild/ moderate violence.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This fan-fiction is now finished!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, this is my first attempt at writing a fan-fiction, so all feedback is greatly appreciated. Until this is finished, please send feedback/ questions via PM - it'll help to keep the story easy to read This is now finished! Please feel free to leave feedback below!I will aim for a chapter a day, but there may be times when I don't add one.

This fan-fiction contains a non-canon villain and items, and I also have not played through the entire story, so there could be a repetition of themes/ plotlines from beyond the Enigmatic Grotto.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Characters:

Niereth

Llyiixzsis

Exotic

Xylis

Ultima

Starborn

Dr'zelro - Click on the image to see the full-size version (also click again on the image to zoom it in - the details are blurred otherwise).
(He looks far too futuristic... But I can't draw, so I suppose it'll do.)

Phantom Star

Darkspark

Jax II

Kiren

Ari

Ash Queen

Shadowstorm

*My avatar, at the time of writing this, had the Novice Adventurer's Outfit in the same colours as shown on my current avatar, except the fur and details on the boots were white*

More characters will be added as I write.
Edited By AtomicBomb354 on 2/7/2017 at 3:18 PM.
AtomicBomb354
Level 61
Posted: 12/22/2016 at 12:34 PM Post #2
Prologue

Point of View: Llyiixzsis

The soft pattering of water was my only guide through the darkness. Clutching the handle of my burnt-out lantern in my jaws, I padded over moss-infested stones. Dampness masked every scent, and the murkiness held its cold hands over my eyes, disabling my sight.

It's got to be here somewhere, I thought, feeling my way along the walls.

Soon, my eyes adjusted to the lack of light. I became aware of previously unseen features - the stream, flowing between cracks in the rocks; black vines, hanging dead from the ceiling; a narrow path, leading away from the cave.

The narrow path caught my attention. I squeezed between the small gap of an entrance, pressing my ears back against my skull in frustration as I found myself scrabbling against the slippery ground. Eventually, I made my way through, and wandered along the claustrophobic track.

To my relief, it opened up into a cavern. Light streamed through a hole in the roof, pointing down at the featureless centre. I stuck to the shadows cautiously.

A smell was overwhelming my nostrils. It was the smell... of something. Something burning, or burnt. It was unpleasant, and I almost backed out of the room. I steadied myself, reminding myself of my goal before I did. Just get the vase. Then you can go back.

There was movement. My eyes locked onto it.

A large, looming figure, curled up, its sides rising and falling. A slender tail was haphazardly draped over the grey environment.

Curiosity overcame my instincts, and I began to make my way over to it. My steps were light on the ground; my muscles were tensed, ready to flee at the slightest indication of danger.

The sight of the creature was distracting. So distracting, in fact, that I almost overlooked the golden vase not too far from it. I crouched down, glancing between the monster and it. It's so close - I have to be careful.

My heart was pounding in my chest as I ran my paw over the intricate markings. From a distance, the vase was not as impressive, but, up close, I could see why it was so precious to its owner. I checked it for scratches, and found that it was in impeccable condition still.

I rushed. When I began to drag the object away, I was desperate to return as swiftly as possible. And that was my first mistake.

CLANG! Metal scraped across a stray pebble.

Growling came from the immense beast as it unravelled itself. Green, glowing eyes stared intensely down at me. Its wings extended, showing a beautiful yet intimidating display of grey and red. Standing up, it opened its mouth and released a burst of flame into the air.

Run! My thoughts screamed at my muscles to move, yet I simply seized up. My eyes widened as the Ny'vene lowered its head to my height. It sniffed at my brightly-coloured pelt and let out a snake-like hiss.

Then my world was set ablaze.
Edited By AtomicBomb354 on 12/25/2016 at 12:33 PM.
AtomicBomb354
Level 61
Posted: 12/23/2016 at 11:53 AM Post #3
Chapter 1: Fire from the Cave

Point of View: Ultima

"Ultima!" a voice called. I turned my head to face its source.

Xylis was the self-proclaimed 'Prince of the Stables', always ordering others around to do his work. His movements were graceful - that was something that could not be denied - but his manner was detestable. To himself, he was a Zolnixi of high birth, his genetics selected specifically to create a being of beauty; to others, he was a delusional egotist, living his life denying his flaws.

I was one of those in the stables who refused to address him formally, as he had told us to. This had fed a hatred for me that festered in his heart. He thought of me as too dumb to notice, but in truth, it grew on him like a disgusting mould, twisting his face into a scowl every time I was in his presence.

"What is it, Xylis?" I questioned. Xylis looked down his narrow snout at me as he spoke.

"Two of the guards claim to have observed several blasts of fire from the Trollsblight Caverns last night. They say that it was an intense orange, and that they came at minute-long intervals. Did you happen to see them?" My gaze went to the meadows beyond the walls of the Haven, eventually focusing on the mass of rock protruding from the ground.

"No. I do not recall that." I paused to attempt to scrape together my memories of the night before, but all that came to mind was the occasional wild Sylesti that I had noticed travelling across the meadow. "Perhaps I was not awake at the time. I do not spend all of my time up here, you know." I heard Xylis shift on the spot and flutter his wings a little in frustration.

"Fine. I will ask around the town then." I thought I heard something else muttered under his breath - it sounded very much like "You disappoint me", but I could not be certain. Before I could say any more, he was gone as quickly as he had arrived.

Could there have been fire? I doubted that I could have missed an event like that while conscious.

I extended my wings out, feeling the wind gently brush under and above them. I sprang upwards and into flight, and glided down to the dirt path below. Landing softly, I made my way through the quiet town to the plaza.

I managed to find my fellow Ryori, Exotic, with ease. He was perched on the edge of the fountain, watching everyone go about their daily lives. When he saw me, he bounded down with a grin on his face, blue eyes aglow.

"Ultima, my good friend. What brings you here?" Ears perked forwards, he gave me no time to speak. "It's about that fire stuff, isn't it?" I nodded, indicating that I had something to say.

"Yes. Where is our owner?" Exotic's joyful smile vanished.

"Oh, he... I'm not sure. He's been all over the place since Llyiixzsis was sent out three days ago, and is worried that something terrible has happened to him. Due to this fire, the guards are considering disallowing anyone from going there, and he's gone to them to try and reason with them." Exotic gestured towards the town hall by tilting his head. "I would try there first."

"Thank you, Exotic. I will see you later." With that, I went to the hall.

I never liked the environment in the hall. It was always too quiet, always too cold, and for a Sylesti like myself, the size of it was daunting.

Amongst a small group of guards, there was a red-haired elf clad in a crimson jacket and dark boots. Despite his clear annoyance at whatever the guards were telling him, he was not raising his voice much.

He didn't seem to acknowledge that I was there when I approached, so I tugged on his clothing a little to divert his attention from his conversation. This worked, and his gaze switched from the people to me.

"Oh, Ultima. What's wrong?" I did my best to communicate what I wanted to say through a series of movements. It took several attempts until he understood what I was trying to say. "The caverns?" He crouched down. Lowering his voice to a mumble so that the guards couldn't hear him, he told me what was going on. "They don't seem to understand that stopping access is not going to help. We should be attacking whatever creature is causing it before it gets powerful enough or decides to destroy this place. My only concern... You remember Niereth? If it is indeed her... I don't know if I will have the resolve to slay one of my own Sylestis." At the mention of that, a distant look clouded over his eyes. "Listen, Ultima. I plan to go in there regardless. Ask Starborn to prepare for an expedition. Me, you and him are going there to find out the truth about the situation." When he stood up, he turned to the guards with a mask of fake emotion plastered on his face, hiding his feelings about everything he had just said.

As I began to leave, I peered over my shoulder at the group. They had continued talking, as if nothing had just happened.
Edited By Atomicbomb354 on 12/24/2016 at 10:16 AM.
AtomicBomb354
Level 61
Posted: 12/24/2016 at 11:09 AM Post #4
Chapter 2 - Capture

Point of View: Starborn

I could not hide my surprise at the idea that Ultima presented to me.

"He wants us to deliberately go against orders?" I wasn't sure whether I had heard what he had said properly. It seemed very out of character for the otherwise obedient Ryori to talk of such things.

"Yes." That was all he said, before spreading his wings in preparation to take off. With a flick of his tail, he launched into the air, leaving me standing slightly bewildered.

Three hours. I have three hours to decide whether I am going ahead with this madness or not.

A few minutes before we were due to meet, I made my decision.

Under the dim reflection of the moon, I could only just make out the shapes of my owner and Ultima. My white body contrasted greatly against the surroundings, and so trying to remain hidden was impossible.

"Starborn. I'm glad you could make it." Ultima came to my side, glancing around the empty streets. "We need to move quickly before we draw attention to ourselves. They close the gates in a few minutes."

We were about to leave when someone called out to us from above.

"Hey! What are you doing down there!"

It was a guard.

Seeing us Sylestis, he continued speaking.

"You're not going to the Trollsblight Caverns are you? It's off-bounds."

There was no response. Our owner simply sprinted ahead, trying to get beyond the walls before he was caught. The guard was alarmed, and instructed another guard nearby to chase after him. Ultima and I followed after him. I pressed my ears back, my paws striking the ground at a rapid pace, kicking up dirt. What am I doing here? My eyes flickered to the two guards closing on in us, shouting at us to stop.

There was a yelp, and a thud as one of us was tackled to the ground. I leaped to the side to avoid the commotion as the crimson-haired elf struggled against the grip of the two guards, trying to fight them off.

"Keep going!" he shouted to us, before one of the guards pushed him back to the ground.

We ran until they were out of sight. It seemed that the guards had only concerned themselves with catching our owner.

Breathing heavily, I spoke to Ultima.

"How did they... How did they know?" I spluttered "We... we weren't exactly stealthy, but... Surely he could have outrun them?" My thoughts were completely scrambled, shaken about as I ran. Ultima was just as clueless.

"I'm... I'm not sure. But, even if our owner is not with us, we must continue to do what we set out to do." He squinted, trying to make out our destination. From the ground, however, it was almost impossible to see. "There. Let's go."
AtomicBomb354
Level 61
Posted: 12/25/2016 at 11:51 AM Post #5
Chapter 3 - A Never-ending Nightmare

Point of View: Niereth

Get out of my head! Get out, get out, get out!

I rolled my head back to try and free myself, chains tensing and relaxing as I struggled. The heavy collar secured around my throat dug into my skin, pressing against nerves and sending pulses of agony through my body. Deep cuts in the dirt were carved by my flailing limbs, and froth flew from my mouth as I tried desperately to keep my body my own.

Get out!

"Niereth, it is useless to struggle." I felt the pressing of the second mind within my own vanish. My frustration-filled brown eyes were fixed on the face of my captor.

He was tall and slender, with white hair and striking green eyes. A scar distorted by a disapproving scowl ran from his eye to his jaw. Ebony armour with vibrant sections covered most of his figure, with the exception of the small gaps at the joints. The hood had been folded, and was instead crumpled at the base of his neck.

His name was Dr'zelro. He had taken it upon himself to repeat it almost every day to me - whether he was in control of me or not.

My response to his monotonous mockery of my strength was a blast of heat, drawn from deep within myself. The flames licked at the rocks and the ground around me, but did not go anywhere near Dr'zelro. Although he seemed confident in his abilities to control minds, he always seemed to have a magical shield activated as a precaution.

I felt him try again, and this time it was more forceful. I clamped my teeth around the air, imagining that I was biting through him. A cry escaped from my mouth as he powered his way through my mental defences and slipped into control.

I shook myself, though not of my own accord. I looked over at Dr'zelro, though it was not my eyes that were looking.

I was a spectator in my own body.

A smirk crossed the face of Dr'zelro's human body. His eyes were blank and lifeless, observing nothing.

I tried to force him back out again, but I was beaten. Slumping down in the corner of my mind, I watched helplessly as he made himself comfortable. He exercised my ability to breath fire, singeing as much as he could within a small radius.

Once he was done, he willingly let me back in control. I snapped out of my dream-like state, but, instead of being hurled into an unstoppable rage, I lay down, exhausted .

He had done what many thought was impossible. He had broken my spirit.

"Good. I see you finally came to your senses." He was about to turn away and saunter back to the room in which he rested, when something made him pause. Something within his green eyes shifted, his gaze now far more intense.

He was back again. I had lost the will to fight him, and so he began sniffing the environment and searching each crack in the cave walls using my body within seconds of taking over.

I felt the warmth building in my body's chest even before it was expelled. A deadly shot of fire escaped its mouth, slamming into the wall. One clawed foot was placed on a rock, and it was flung aside. Dr'zelro was deconstructing this side at a rapid rate, like a rabid animal.

Something darted from the rubble. This something turned into two somethings, then recognisable figures. I let out a gasp within my mind.

Starborn and Ultima. What are they doing here?

My tail whipped around, slashing at them. Dr'zelro was trying to drive them from the lair, but, being confined to a small area by the bindings he tied on me, he could not reach every corner, and so there were places where the Lupora and Ryori were just out of reach of any physical attacks. The flames, however, could reach those spots, and every time they only just managed to avoid being burnt. Each attempt to kill them made me flinch.

At one point, Dr'zelro was almost upon them. Acting out of instinct, I distracted him by trying to expel him from my body, fighting his actions with every ounce of strength I had. Both my friends seemed confused at this sudden change of attitude, but used the opportunity to flee through the main entrance to the cavern.

Once they were out of sight, Dr'zelro withdrew and went back to his own body.

"Niereth," he hissed "You... You still don't get it, do you?" From the satchel by his side he drew out a small, iridescent stone, no larger than the palm of his hand. "So far, I have gone easy on you, using very little force in comparison to what I can actually do. Since you don't seem to appreciate my gracious offer of not being as rough, I will demonstrate my full abilities." Grasping one of the chains, he jerked it, and my head smacked against the floor with enough force to dizzy me.

I was unable to react in time. He leaped forwards, and pressed the stone against my forehead. He grinned, showing his unusually sharp teeth.

"Try and fight this!"

The stone glowed green, and I could feel its burning heat against my skin.

My screams echoed around the caverns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note:

What a lovely chapter to write on Christmas Day. I hope that the 1 or 2 (or maybe even none at all) people that are actually reading this are enjoying it so far. And Merry Christmas (or, if you do not celebrate Christmas, then whichever festival you are celebrating) to you all!
Edited By AtomicBomb354 on 12/25/2016 at 3:10 PM.
AtomicBomb354
Level 61
Posted: 12/26/2016 at 12:08 PM Post #6
Chapter 4 - Return

Point of View: Xylis

The disappearance of Ultima and Starborn was a shock to everyone but myself. It was the imprisonment of our owner that concerned me the most.

When I enquired about it, the others simply fabricated explanations ranging from sensible to outright unbelievable.

"Maybe he was caught saying something that he shouldn't have," Exotic suggested "Or perhaps doing something that the guards weren't happy with."

"Far to broad of an explanation, Exotic," the young Lupora, Phantom Star, blurted out "To be more specific, I think he tried to climb the plaza tower to catch a glimpse of the Trollsblight Carverns! I mean, it makes sense - it's where he thinks Niereth went." Shaking my head, I responded.

"That makes no sense at all, Phantom Star. He has permission to walk along the walls - why would he do something illegal when he has an equally as good, and easier, might I add, legal method of looking?"

"Huh. Good point." Phantom Star glanced away, blushing a little, embarrassed. She was nowhere near as old as myself or Exotic, and hence did not understand the seriousness of the situation fully.

Before anyone could say any more, there was a shout from one of the guards. Two Sylestis were entering the Haven.

Ultima and Starborn.

Starborn's left hind leg was stained crimson with blood. Every time his paw touched the ground he sharply retracted it, causing him to limp awkwardly. Ultima was walking closely to him, supporting him slightly with his tail.

"Starborn, Ultima! What happened?" Exotic swiftly went to their sides. "Come on, let's get you to Miri." Ultima's eyes met Exotic's.

"What happened to our owner? Where is he?" His voice was laced with urgency.

"He was imprisoned." Exotic paused, a slight frown on his face. "Why is it so important?"

"In the Trollsblight Caverns... We... We just need to talk to him about what we found." Starborn was having difficulty speaking through gritted teeth. He coughed several times, almost blacking out. I decided to take control of the situation.

"Exotic, take Starborn to Miri. I will go with you, Ultima. That is if the guards let us see him."

It turned out that the guards were not so easily persuaded. They only let us through after Ultima explained every single detail of his story. Even then, we were watched with a sceptical glare by both of them.

Our owner was chained to a wall by his wrists and neck. He was sat on a wooden bench, his gaze pointed at the floor. When we entered, he looked up, his cyan eyes dull with negative emotions.

"Where is Starborn?" he asked, noticing that Ultima's Lupora companion was not present.

Ultima then told the entire story as best as he could, concentrating on trying not to leave out any details. I listened, curious to find out what had happened.

When the tale was finished, our owner had a dumbfounded look on his face, and was clearly unsure of what to say.

"I see... He sounds like someone I know... Dr'zelro, I think his name is." Our owner looked away, deep in thought. "Right then. I will... think about what we should do. You go and rest. I will address this matter once I am out of here."
Edited By AtomicBomb354 on 12/29/2016 at 10:50 AM.
AtomicBomb354
Level 61
Posted: 12/27/2016 at 1:45 PM Post #7
Chapter 5 - Ambush

Point of View: Starborn

As the last of the bandages were wound around my injury, Ultima came into view. He seemed disheartened by something - his gaze rested on the floor as he moved, and their was a sullenness to his body language that I had never seen before.

"Starborn." He addressed me with a flat tone of voice, his white eyes not meeting mine. "It is true. Our owner has been imprisoned. I am not sure why... but he has given us orders to remain within the Haven." I nodded, struggling to absorb the information. I had seen too much already today, and my mind was a disorganised mess of memories and thoughts.

A few hours later, and the sun had set, making way for the smothering blanket of darkness that was the night. Clouds concealed the stars, and the moon became a hazy blur that hung in the sky. Everything beyond the walls of the Haven were represented only by their silhouettes.

I found that sleep came easily, but I left the state of unconsciousness as soon as I entered it.

It had only been a few hours, and I was already being awakened. Though my alarm was not Darkspark's gruff voice, but screams of terror.

Dashing outside, I was met with an orange glow that was consuming the nearby building. One of the citizens of the Haven was cowering in fear, staring up at something with wide brown eyes.

Perched on the wall, Niereth released a blast of fire at a guard that tried to approach her, setting his uniform alight. The guard ran in a frenzy, his cries piercing the night. He was silenced when, in his pain-induced madness, he threw himself from the edge and hit the ground with enough force to snap his neck. I quickly looked away from the scene. My main concern was to aid with evacuations.

A group of people were fleeing through the main entrance and exit, but were pounced on by Niereth. Her glowing green eyes were fixated on them as they pleaded with her. She reduced them to ash without a single twitch.

Green. Something didn't seem right about that colour. Did Niereth ever have green eyes? I had never been close friends with her, so I had never really taken the time to notice her eyes. I shrugged it off, assuming that I simply wasn't remembering her correctly.

Whatever it was, she seemed far more savage. She had never been particularly rational, but there was a great difference between rebellious and murderous.

Before, she had appeared to fight something in her mind to stop her from killing us, but now there was no hint of the same effort. That was another thing that did not make any sense. None of it makes sense.

In the time that it had taken for me to ponder over this, Ultima had rushed to my side.

"Starborn! I need you to go to the prison. Our owner is in there, and-"

He was cut off by a loud crackling, and the snapping of wood. Charred splinters were flung into the air. Niereth took off as the building beneath her collapsed, and landed elsewhere, continuing her destruction of the town.

Without saying any more, I began to weave between the burning constructs, trying desperately to find the building in which our owner was being held.

It turned out that he had already been found and taken out. His restraints had been removed, and I found him in the plaza, gazing up at Niereth. He seemed to be deep in thought, and his eyes were filled with disappointment.

I gripped his jacket between my teeth and tugged at it. He glanced down, then pushed my head away with his hand.

"No, Starborn. Go elsewhere." I tried again, but all it did was make him angry. "Starborn! I said get away!" I stopped pulling at his attire, but refused to leave. Instead of telling me to leave again, he simply ignored me.

It was at this point that Niereth turned her head. She arched her neck and let out a threatening hiss.

A part of me wanted to leave at that moment. After my first encounter with the ny'vene, I was in no hurry to meet her again. My body tensed as she came over to us, her footsteps heavy on the singed ground. I glanced over at my owner. I hope he has a good idea.

There was a flash, and my owner drew out a weapon. A serrated dagger, its edge glistening. Hands shaking, he inched closer to her. It was clear that he did not want to fight her - not because of the size ratio, but because he did not want to hurt her.

Niereth had been his pride and joy. She may not have been his for very long, but the ny'vene's character had left an impression on him. It had been clear that he had enjoyed training her for battle, and now, all of those efforts were being used against him.

"Dr'zelro, you coward!" he shouted to Niereth "Always hiding behind a masquerade; always damaging someone else's reputation to achieve your own goals. How about for once you actually fight yourself rather than enslaving others and using them?" A grin stretched across the ny'vene's face, and she spoke.

"War isn't meant to be fair, you fool." It spoke, in the language of humans. This shocked my owner to the core - he took a step backwards, eyes wide. I too was surprised. A human... in a Sylesti's body? How is that possible?

Mustering all of the courage he could, my owner leaped forwards, slashing at Niereth's face. In response, she lifted it out of the way, turned, and then smacked her tail straight into him. There was a loud CRACK as it made contact with his ribs, and he was flung into a pile of rubble. There he lay, winded and stunned, his dagger knocked out of his hand.

The ny'vene then switched its focus to me.

I sprinted for cover, but it was too late.

A clawed foot slammed me to the ground. My eyes rolled back in their sockets as a splatter of blood escaped my mouth. I flapped my wings helplessly as I was lifted into the air and inspected by those cold green eyes that I had noticed.

"I know you. You're one of those pesky Sylestis that made it into my lair." There was a pause, waiting for a response, but I did not have the will to move. "Well, the less witnesses there are, the better."

The ground rushed up to meet me as I was swung downwards.
AtomicBomb354
Level 61
Posted: 12/28/2016 at 11:08 AM Post #8
Chapter 6 - Aftermath

Point of View: Darkspark

Legs shaking, I stood up, pushing debris off from above me. The dust was irritating my eyes, and, regardless of how rapidly I blinked, it would not go away.

The embers were dying down, but there was still an intense heat that hung in the air. Dark grey smog was omnipresent amongst the destruction, choking the survivors.

I noticed some movement, and so I bounded out of my sheltered spot and began to dig whatever it was out. Two large purple eyes opened, and began to assist me in freeing it.

The young Zolnixi pulled himself out and shook the dirt from his pelt. I recognised him from the hatchery - Jax II was his name, and he was known for his brightly-coloured markings on his otherwise monochrome fur. With a cough and a high-pitched "Thanks", he ran, searching for something with his nose. He was supposed to be at the hatchery, not here. I hope his searching isn't because he brought friends.

"You, Jax," I said, going over to him. He diverted his attention from the stone and glanced over his shoulder at me, one ear pricked forwards. "You were meant to stay at the hatchery."

"I... I know, but... I couldn't help myself. I wanted to know, and Ellanya refused to tell me," the pup answered, his voice heavy with guilt.

"You didn't bring anyone else, did you?" At this, Jax was reluctant to answer with words. He gave a slow nod, as if he was expecting me to lash out at him for it. I simply sighed. "Who? Who did you bring?" I let some anger creep into my voice, but not so much as to scare him.

"Ari. Ari and Kiren." His gaze broke away from mine. "Ari persuaded me to sneak out and come here." It sounded like he was averting the blame, but his words seemed truthful. I nodded.

"Then we must find them. Come. You shouldn't go alone - there could still be dangers lurking around."

It didn't take long to find them. Ari and Kiren were both cowering in the least-damaged building in the Haven. I gave them some harsh words, hoping that they would learn from this, but, seeing the glint in Ari's eye, I doubted that it would deter her from repeating this incident.

"Return to the hatchery," I told them "Do not go anywhere else. It is not safe here. I would take you back myself if I could, but I must stay here and find more survivors." The next thing I said was mainly addressed to Ari, but applied to all of them. "Use this as an opportunity to earn back my trust."

I watched them leave until they were out of sight, and then I headed in the direction of the plaza. The plaza had been the centre of the destruction, and I was certain that that would be where the most casualties would be.

The first thing I found was Starborn. Or, what was left of him. The sight of his injuries was horrific, and I was forced to turn my head away. I was certain that he was dead purely by his appearance.

A flash of red caught the edge of my eye as I ran around, searching the rubble. I leaped up, and found my owner lying in a pile of cracked rocks. His chest was rising and falling in an erratic pattern, and each breath sent him into a world of agony, judging by his expression alone. Dried blood covered his body, and he was holding one hand on his chest.

He gasped for air as I approached him. He reached out a pale hand and placed it on my head.

"Darkspark," he wheezed "Get... get someone. Don't try and move me yourself." He paused, and tried to speak again, but was sent into a coughing fit that caused him to cry out in pain every so often. Afterwards, his hand fell from me and he lay still and silently, watching my movements. I gave a nod and clambered down from the ruins of the house.

The desolate streets smelt of ash, and were eerily quiet. I would have imagined that there would be many survivors roaming the town, but there were none. Whenever I dug at the walls of broken timber and stone, only more rubble presented itself to me.

In a small, cleared space stood two guards and a group of civilians. The two guards were desperately trying to communicate with the civilians, but they were too shaken to listen.

I went up to one of the guards, who was trying to work out which of the people were strong enough to help search for me, and which had the ability to heal. The guard stopped what he was doing when he noticed me. I motioned for him to follow me, and he glanced over at the other guard.

"I think it wants me to follow him. Shall I?"

"Go ahead. It could lead us to more of them."

I tried to avoid the routes that would be difficult for a human to traverse, but there were times when they were the only way back to my owner. During those parts of the trip, I would have to wait patiently for the guard to catch up. We need to hurry, I thought, remembering the condition that he was in.

We eventually made it, and I led him over the sharp stones. My owner's eyes snapped open, and he gave a weak wave to try and attract attention to where he was. The guard went to him swiftly, but, as he began to lift him up, my owner shook his head.

"My ribs... Are broken," he said, barely able to speak above a murmur "I don't... I don't think I should be moved like that." The guard brushed his brown hair out of his eyes and shook his head.

"Well, there's no other way. You're just going to have to grin and bear it, I'm afraid." Ignoring my owner's further protests, he picked him up carefully, trying to keep him in roughly the same position.

With an extra person, it wasn't going to be as easy to return to where some of the survivors had congregated. Our journey was much longer, but it appeared that the guard knew vaguely where he was headed.

We returned to the group after wandering for a while.

"Do we have any medical supplies or methods of treatment?" the guard called out. Nobody answered.

"We have to wait until the sheriff finds us. Assuming that he survived the attack." The second guard was anxious to leave, but there was nothing he could do until someone of authority came through and gave orders. There was no organisation at the moment.

Just as the second guard spoke, a group of other guards were seen stood atop the walls of debris.

Amongst them was Sheriff Thyrm.
AtomicBomb354
Level 61
Posted: 12/29/2016 at 11:09 AM Post #9
Chapter 7 - Fighting Fire with Fire

Point of View: Xylis

"He has arranged to do WHAT?"

Darkspark's outcry was understandable, considering that it opened up the possibility of history repeating itself. I joined him by voicing my concerns.

"Has he not learnt anything? If he failed the last time, then surely he will fail again? Especially if you consider that there will be two this time." Ultima, as always, decided to defend this ridiculous idea, purely because it had been put forward by our owner.

"These two are not like Niereth was. Niereth was rebellious in nature, whereas the new ones are supposedly far more docile."

"Surely there are better, stronger, more trustworthy Sylestis that could be sent?" I questioned, daring anyone to counter that with a sweeping glare. I was, in part, referring to myself during that.

"And risk losing more of us?" Ultima retorted, rolling his eyes "You clearly have forgotten what happened to Llyiixzsis when he went to the Trollsblight Caverns. Admittedly, it wasn't to find out anything about Niereth or to fight her, but if he did fight back, he clearly did no damage of any sort to her. May I also add that that ny'vene defeated our owner and killed Starborn with no difficulty, alongside completely destroying the Haven." I scowled a little. He was right, and I hated it when he was. "Anyway, we need to go and find those two ny'venes. Since our owner is too injured to do anything himself, it is our duty to make sure that they are ready for the attack."

The two ny'venes we were referring to were called Ash Queen and Shadowstorm. They were siblings, and shared similar opinions and attitudes towards everything. Shadowstorm was a week older than Ash Queen, and as such was always reminding her of who had authority over the other whenever she tried to instruct him to do anything.

"Listen up, you two," I said, trying to get to their head height by climbing up onto one of the food barrels. Even though they were still adolescents, they towered over the rest of the Sylestis in the stable. "I trust that you understand why you are here. Not only did our owner decide that he wanted more ny'venes, but he also has a problem with one that went rogue recently."

"And our job, as far as I am aware, is to take down this ny'vene?" Shadowstorm's deep voice reverberated around the mostly-empty stables, bouncing around the timber frame.

"Yes, but, if it can be helped, do not kill her." Ultima hopped up onto a second barrel. "There is a human with her. His name is Dr'zelro, according to what our owner says. He may be too dangerous to take alive - we believe he controls Niereth with some sort of power. You'll have to be careful of that. We should ideally keep him alive too. Knocking him unconscious may work."

"Got it. When will we be going there?" Ash Queen's dark brown eyes were fixed on Ultima.

"A few days," Ultima answered "We would have more time, but we need to go there quickly, before they can strike again. The Haven is being re-built, and a second attack would be crippling." He bounded down from his position and nudged the door open with his paw. I aided him and we both opened up the exit so that the two could leave.

"We are going to the meadows to train," I explained "It is the safest place, and we don't risk the destruction of anything important. The only problem is is that the Trollsblight Caverns are in view, and we could be watched."

Several hours later, and streaks of blackened grass were visible across a large area of the meadows. Shadowstorm was sat down, looking out across the flat land. Ash Queen was exhausted, almost falling asleep where she was stood. The moon was beginning to rise over the distant Umbra Forest.

"Let's go back," I murmured to Ultima, noticing the darkness creep across the sky. Ultima nodded in agreement.

We were on our way back when Shadowstorm noticed something on the horizon.

"Is that...?" He squinted, trying to make out the shape. Ultima and I knew what it was immediately.

Niereth.

She was heading for the Haven.
Edited By AtomicBomb354 on 12/29/2016 at 11:11 AM.
AtomicBomb354
Level 61
Posted: 12/30/2016 at 2:18 PM Post #10
Chapter 8 - The Final Fight

Point of View: Ash Queen

My brother and I took to the skies, leaving the other Sylestis behind. I flew a little ahead of Shadowstorm, pulled along by the urge to feel the rush of battle. I announced my presence to the other ny'vene with a roar that shook the air around me.

Niereth turned her head. Her green eyes seemed to burn through me. For a moment, I was scared.

The larger ny'vene was upon us quickly. She rammed into Shadowstorm's side, trying to knock him into the ground. He let out a growl and tried to sink his teeth into her neck, but she gave him a powerful kick. I descended on Niereth, attacking her from behind, but she slapped me aside with her tail. I fell, but managed to swoop upwards at the last moment.

Xylis and Ultima were below, unable to help. This was our fight, and if they were to get involved, then they would inevitably hinder our attacks by getting in the way.

Shadowstorm bashed Niereth with his head, causing her to retreat a little. She winced, but stood her ground.

Before she could strike once more, I gripped Niereth's back with my talons. She flapped her wings more intensely, trying to support both our weights and shake me off. She succeeded when she flipped and dived, and my claws detached from her hide, dislodging some of her scales. An enraged screech escaped her mouth, and she twisted round, releasing a torrent of flame at me. I ducked underneath it, barely avoiding the orange beam.

Shadowstorm then came in from the left, grabbing Niereth's neck between his teeth and attempting to drive her into the ground. Blood ran from her wounds as she struggled, and eventually freed herself.

The battle seemed to last forever. Despite the fact that the older ny'vene was outnumbered, she managed to fight us off. My brother and I had a few wounds, but Niereth was in far worse of a condition.

One more blow was all it took. I rammed my head into her wing. I felt the bones in her wing struggle underneath the force.

SNAP!

Niereth cried out, and, unable to fly, crashed into the meadow below. Shadowstorm followed her down, landing by her side.

Breathing heavily, the green retracted from her eyes, revealing brown eyes heavy with sorrow. She tried to move, but her body was unresponsive, and she simply lay there, watching us. She murmured something, and I only caught a few words.

"Go... You... Controlled."

"Huh?" I moved closer in case she repeated what she said, but she stayed silent.

Then I felt something press in on my head. I stumbled away, gritting my teeth together. Whatever it was, it was painful, and felt like it was trying to bash its way into my head.

Shadowstorm noticed, and tilted his head to one side.

"What's wrong, Ash?" he asked. Niereth's eyes widened, and her legs scrabbled against the ground feebly as she tried to stand once more.

"Get... away," Niereth spluttered, her whole body trembling.

The agony continued, and the pressure increased, until I felt something slip in. There was a presence, hovering in my mind, wrestling with my consciousness for control. I lost balance as I began to lose control of my muscles. The unknown other's reach began to spread throughout me, until I could no longer move of my own accord.

Hello there.

I didn't recognise the voice. I began to panic, but my struggling was a waste of time. Whatever it was, it had a firm grip on me.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm borrowing your body for a short time.

My neck extended, and I let out a hiss. Shadowstorm got to his feet, preparing once more for a fight. Niereth let out a pained sigh, and simply observed what was going on, lacking the energy and the will to move from the spot on which she had collapsed.

I lunged forwards, accidentally injuring Niereth further as I scrambled over her body to attack Shadowstorm. In the reflection on his eyes, I could see two glowing, emotionless pits of green on my face. There was a dark scowl on my face as I grabbed Shadowstorm's wing between my teeth and tried to tear at it. In response, he let out a surprised yelp and hit me in the stomach with his foot. We jumped apart, staring at each other.

"Stop!" Both of us turned our heads.

Clutching his side with one hand and brandishing a staff of some sort in the other, our owner stood between Darkspark and Phantom Star.

"You." Words in the human language came from my mouth. "I thought I killed you. Well, at least you should be unable to stand." A toothy grin spread across my face. "Perhaps I should congratulate you, Zoarreth." Zoarreth? Who is he?

"So, you do remember my name after all." Our owner held out the staff, and it began to emit a crimson light. "I wonder, do you recognise this as well?" I felt the other presence in my head become fearful. My body was shaking.

"How did you find that?" I blurted out "You don't intend to use it, do you?" There was a pause in my words. "If you do, you'll kill both me, and this ny'vene."

"I won't. Dr'zelro, when I last used this, I had no practice with it. Between then and now, I have mastered this staff's power." There was a glint in Zoarreth's cyan eyes. "You can die like a coward, or you can use your own body and die a warrior." This comment did not affect Dr'zelro.

"Trying to appeal to my sense of pride? You clearly don't know me as well as I thought." I laughed maniacally, and pounced.

My body was suddenly frozen. The Zoarreth's staff had left his hand, and was now floating in front of him. He placed one hand on the middle and turned it clockwise until it was upside-down.

No! This... No! Dr'zelro was trying to deny what was happening in an effort to keep calm, but it was failing. The staff had us both trapped, unable to move.

I felt Dr'zelro being forced from my body. The staff's power was extracting his consciousness from me. Despite his best efforts, he was pulled out.

Dr'zelro's body faded into view. It had appeared that he had hidden himself from view with some sort of spell. He seemed dead, until he coughed and drew in a sharp breath. One hand on his chest, his breaths were short and rapid. He jumped up to his feet, pale.

"Didn't... You didn't expect that, did you?" His voice was shaky and uncertain, and a crooked smile was trying to mask his fear. Zoarreth glanced over at him.

"No, actually. But I anticipated that this might happen." With a single hand gesture, the staff came back to him. The colours shifted, and it became a light blue. The end caught alight with a blue flame, and Dr'zelro stepped back in horror. He drew his own weapon - a katana with green runes inscribed along the blade.

But it was not enough to block the staff's power. With a scream, the blue fire engulfed him, and within seconds, he had disintegrated completely.

Silence fell over us all. We couldn't believe that it was finally finished. Zoarreth's legs almost crumpled beneath him, but he steadied himself with the staff.

"It's... It's finally over," he breathed, a slight sadness in his voice "Come, let us return to the Haven."

Author's note:

Well, it's done now! I hope that anyone who read this enjoyed this.

Since this is my first fan-fiction, I would appreciate receiving a lot of feedback. There may be some errors - it's really cold in my room at the moment, so my fingers are quite stiff, which makes it difficult to type.

If enough people enjoyed this story, I may write more. I have a few ideas for further stories.

For those who may not understand where the name Zoarreth comes from - I felt that the name 'AtomicBomb354' would take away from the otherwise fairly serious story, so Zoarreth is my avatar's alternate name.
Edited By AtomicBomb354 on 12/30/2016 at 2:21 PM.
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.015 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.