Players 2,371 350
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,251,830 1,159
Generated 656,350 34
Captured 1,190,833 51
Bred 6,404,552 1,074
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > General Discussion > How do you name your pets?
Page 1 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Littletoes101
Level 60
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 74
Posted: 9/27/2015 at 7:48 PM Post #1
I was wondering how people name their pets here on Sylestia? I usually just get my names from a random name generator, or think of them randomly, but I know some people have certain themes or ways of naming their pets.
Mikazukichan
Level 75
The Artistic
Threads: 313
Posted: 9/27/2015 at 8:37 PM Post #2
For me, it depends on what type of pet it is. If it's a pet that is part of an ongoing project and I'll only keep it as long as it is one of the best breeding options for that project, it gets a name that tell me about which project it is and which traits it has. Like for my Starry Night Vulnyx project, they get a name like Starry AcdEf (which means it's part of the Starry Night Vulnyx project and it shows G1 and M2 and carries G3, M1, and M3).

If it's a tagged pet, I usually have a naming scheme for that theme. For example, the Monarch Zolnixis I have are all named after famous couples (since the projects I was going to do with them were 'Beloved', 'Mysterious', and 'Lovely').

If they are not themed, but are project progenitors, they get a name that represents what the project is about. So, for my Midnight Waltz Aeridinis, I chose the names of Waltzes from some of my favourite ballets. For my Rave Lighiras, they got names or popular rave songs.

And for non-project pets that I have just because I like the way they look, or they are other people's project babies? I just name them whatever I feel they should be named.... which tends to leave me with a lot of un-named babies because their names haven't floated into my head yet XP

And.... yeah. That's mostly how I name my pets XD
GhostlyFours
Level 60
The Sweet Tooth
Threads: 61
Posted: 9/28/2015 at 4:05 PM Post #3
i go online to names and just search random things

Like with my forest guardian lupora (Her name is Sashura) i searched "Forest Guardian" in Google and there was a link i clicked and in that list i saw Sasha and Sakura, and i just mixed the two...

but with some others, the name just comes to me when i look at them after a while... but i sometimes ask my friend to help me, and that helps motivate me to make creative names (he just says the randomest of names, and that gets me going to make a good name xD)
Pheonixpharaoh
Level 60
Master Egg Hunter
Threads: 28
Posted: 9/28/2015 at 4:06 PM Post #4
for me i think of what said pet reminds me of, like with my lupora Vincent reminds me of Vincent Valentine
SpaceElf1
Level 75
Ghost Writer
Threads: 673
Posted: 10/8/2015 at 1:24 AM Post #5
I usually name my Themed using some kind of...theme.

For one (short) example, my Deep Sea Sylvorpas are named after vessels that explore the deepest parts of the ocean. So far, I have Alvin, Clelia, and Cyane.

Most of my non-Themed pets have names taken from their parents' names and/or their traits. For example, I have a Generated Nixi named Soul Armor. He has Vis Pearl Armor (as well as Vis Star Runes). Now, Zolnixies are pretty obviously taken from kitsunes. Legendarily, a kitsune carried one or more "pearls," balls of light that, possibly, contained the kitsune's soul energy. So I named him--

"Soul Armor"

When he had a puppy with Sky Princess, I named the puppy--

"Sky Takes The Soul"

(It's the title of a song, and it combines her parents' names.)
Cyanidae
Level 70
The Hallowed
Threads: 56
Posted: 10/9/2015 at 6:27 PM Post #6
It...varies.

Species have a general theme. Zolnixi is all japanese names, Lupora and Bulbori are all Celtic/Irish sourced, Faelora and Vulnyx have Greek names, etc etc etc. Or there's Luffox, where i name them all after food(mostly desserts and candy), and Ny'vene have titles for names(Princess Pillage is my favorite).

Sometimes i just have a name i like and want to use, like i have a few Faelora named after nuts, and my Aurleon and Lunes are almost completely themeless.

I do try to match names with meanings or characters/people that reflect the pets, especially with themed. My Vampiric Griffi are named after characters from Carmilla, my white Ligh is named Falkor after the dragon in the Neverending Story, etc. Or Peppermint the Faelora, she's red with white stripes from Numbat. Exclusive get named after what the theme is based on, usually.

I like behindthename and fantasynamegenerators for ideas and help, too.
Fox
Level 75
Master Sylestiologist
Threads: 398
Posted: 10/14/2015 at 1:33 AM Post #7
I name my ny'venes words from the Skyrim dragon language (Dovahzul).
My puffadores are always food themed.
For everything else I usually pick descriptives (words describing colours or traits) and translate them to Latin or Greek, or sometimes other languages.
For pets that I do not mean to breed or legendaries I sometimes add titles, such as "Nitor the Bright". Sometimes they do not have titles.
For official themes I name them the theme + king/queen. For example "Monarch Queen".

I am working on a more consistent naming system. ._. I love organization and consistency and right now it's a mess. T-T
Vulpie
Level 75
Spooky Shopper
Threads: 4
Posted: 10/14/2015 at 6:08 AM Post #8
For me, I combine names if I'm truly stuck. In this case, I try to find two names that have a fitting meaning, but I try to stick within the same language. So two of my Nephinis have two Greek names combined into one. While the names are slightly longer, they're pretty unique (to me at least) because of they way they're pronounced.

However, some of my themed pets are named after personal OCs or characters from stories I make up. I even have a stable that's dedicated strictly for a novel I'm working on.

For gifts from friends, I tend to leave those Un-named, as I want to give them the best fitting name possible.

Other times, I use the languages that I feel might fit with the pet. This may or may not go with the combining of names that I mentioned above.
Fife
Level 60
The Sweet Tooth
Threads: 40
Posted: 10/14/2015 at 11:10 AM Post #9
I find I generally prefer one word names.

Sometimes I'll break this rule but for most of my puffs I pull up Old-Fashioned Baby names online. I'll scroll through them picking out my favourites for each one ^ ^

For other pets sometimes I'll just come up with a name based on the pets appearance or sometimes, depending on my mood, I'll just come up with a random suitable name.
Starwhale
Level 38
Threads: 0
Posted: 10/18/2015 at 10:40 PM Post #10
I name my pets whatever I want, but use a random name generator based on species for when I get stuck.

For example, Daisuke's name came from a Cat Person name generator.

For my mission pets, I name them based on corruptions of the trained stat. Estiar is Strength (Estiar - ES TEE ARE - STR) and Dexter is Dexterity.
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.