Forum Index > Player Guides > A Guide to Roleplaying
Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Typhlosion
Level 75
Wondrous Witch
Threads: 331
Posted: 5/19/2015 at 5:21 PM Post #1
Hello there! Welcome to the world of roleplaying, or RPing. Loads of people do it, but

What is Roleplaying? In short, Roleplaying is just that. You play a role. It's like interactive creative writing if you know what I mean.

What kind of role? That depends on the roleplay! For example, if your RP is about Sylesties escaping their owners, you would be playing the role of a runaway Sylesti looking for shelter, food, and possibly friends.

This seems complicated, how would I know my character? By making one. RPs always have a character form, like this one:

Form:
Name:
Other:

What do I do with a form? You fill it out and make your character for the roleplay. For example:

Name: PurpleStarlightWolf
Species: Wolf
Other: Hi! :3

Ok, I have a character, now what? This depends on where you are Roleplaying. There are two main types of roleplaying that associate with the places you roleplay them.

Chat RP: Chat roleplay is short and uses *s and no quotation like you would use in regular roleplay.
Example: Roseydove: um... *whistles* oh nothing
The *s in the roleplay are used to demonstrate actions, while the regular text is speech.
Normally for chat roleplaying your character is yourself and you don't need a form. (Unless you become someone/something else then your character might not necessarily be you.)

More Examples (Received from the Sylestian Book of Quotes):
ColonelHazard - *drunkenly stumbles around field taking wild swings at scarecrows* Fight me!
Vulpie: D: The egg has rejected me! *throws it down a cliff and watches it roll down*
FForFox: *looks at absol eagerly* o 3o

Other times *s are used in chat:
users often correct their grammar in chat if they don't get something right, often using 1*, so watch out for that too.

Sometimes they are used for emphasis,
ex: Xovinx: Oooh, I *love* that Griffi! You did strike it rich. :D
Edited By PurpleStarlightWolf on 5/19/2015 at 6:00 PM.
Typhlosion
Level 75
Wondrous Witch
Posted: 5/19/2015 at 5:59 PM Post #2
Forum RP: This is the kind that requires forms. But you can't just start roleplaying once you've made a form, you must be accepted by the roleplay creator before you can actually start roleplaying. *s aren't used here; actions are plain text while " " are the symbols you use to demonstrate speaking.

To roleplay, of course you have to get into character, I recommend if you're confused about your character to use these steps (in whichever order):

1. Think about the character's personality and what he/she would do in the situation given to you in the roleplay
2. Think about the history/backstory of your character and how that might help/make it harder for your character in this situation
3. Think about the basic plot of the story. Consider what your character could be doing in the situation.
For example: if the plot of the story is your locked in a prison cell you can't be partying at a tropical island.
4. Think about the other characters in the roleplay. Maybe include them in your post, have your character interact with them if you can.

How do I make a plot for a roleplay? Have you ever written a story? Think about what the back cover would say for that story. That is the plot (more or less). A plot is the basic idea for the roleplay or story. Plots are the consistent theme of what's happening and all the elements of a good roleplay revolve around the plot, nothing in a roleplay can be done without one.

How long does a roleplay last? Honestly, that depends on the variables at hand. How active the roleplayers are, how long the plot goes on, etc. Really, it's up to you how long it lasts.

Ask me your questions and I will provide answers!
Typhlosion
Level 75
Wondrous Witch
Posted: 5/19/2015 at 6:00 PM Post #3
Reserved for more questions and answers, but please do post!
Shrike
Level 60
The Hallowed
Threads: 134
Posted: 5/20/2015 at 1:49 AM Post #4
I would add a section on roleplay etiquette. For example, a lot of intermediate-advanced roleplays especially, expect their players to avoid things such as godmoding, powerplaying, creating "perfect" characters, and the like. Other things to avoid in roleplays: One-liners, attempting to twist the plot in a way that fits your character, trying to stick your character in places he or she doesn't logically belong, or would fit into. Other than that, this is a good start.

One last thing, you may want to add information about varying levels of roleplaying. I generally categorize RPs like so:
-1 sentence through 1 paragraph: Beginner
-1 through 2 paragraphs: Semi-lit
-3-4 paragraphs: Low lit
-4+ paragraphs: Literate/Advanced

Some roleplays (not so much on here, but on other sites) have literacy limits. I.e. you wouldn't be allowed to participate in the RP if you could not post at least a paragraph per post.

This Page loaded in 0.007 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.