Players 2,378 347
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,249,188 796
Generated 656,304 9
Captured 1,190,741 49
Bred 6,402,048 738
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > News and Announcements > 2/20/2015 - Windchaser Luffox Egglings a...
Page 3 1, 2, 3, 4 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Tigerwoodsthebeta
Level 16
Threads: 0
Posted: 2/20/2015 at 2:06 PM Post #21
I'm only on the first map of the game and no one like notices me.... and i have no money on my hands to buy diamonds mainly because my dad so i have no tickets.....

~ Tigerwoodzthebeta
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,119
Posted: 2/20/2015 at 2:14 PM Post #22
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=22848&page=2#18
Author: Charzarddragon819
Time Posted: 2/20/2015 at 12:57 PM
Overall I do think this is a great idea to change features and do something different from the same old wheel. But I guess my worry is like it is no matter what; people who have more money can afford way more of the premium items and more chances of getting the special pets. The only reason this is my concern is because since I've been on Sylestia, I have loved how players who don't spend money can still have a chance at premium items and fest pets if they put a lot of time into the game.

I honestly would love to see Sylestia stay in a more user friendly light than a business. I certainly understand that you guys(Fai and Krin) and your staff have to make something and the more you make, the more you can implement new things/hire new people/do good things for the site in general. XD I'm mentioning this because I hope whatever new feature is implemented will be similar to the wheel and other fests in that users who can't afford a ton of lucky tickets or other premium things can still have a shot to win- I hope it isn't decreased is what I'm saying, to favor content that you must pay for.

I also understand the concept of having diamond currency in the first place- its a source of revenue but players get the good stuff in return! They get special items and essences and much higher chances at winning wheel pets or the jackpot. I just never want to see Sylestia turn into a site based on capital instead of being just a really awesome pet game like it is now.

Sorry for the wall of text- I hope that sort of explained my feelings! I'm not trying to rant on anything, just hoping to share my opinion.

Lol, unfortunately, Sylestia is a business. Faiona and myself devote our full time to Sylestia. We have no other form of employment or income.

That being said, we have and always will strive to focus on the "fun" factor first. You can't have a successful game if it isn't fun. And this change is addressed to both aspects.

As game developers, it's our job to balance things - everything. You can't just create an Utopian world where everyone gets everything that they want when they want it. It would cause the game to be exciting for about a day and then become boring and stale. There'd be nothing to work for, nothing to progress, etc. So as developers, it's our job to figure out a balance so that things are obtainable, it's fun to obtain them, but when you obtain them you're granted with a feeling of satisfaction and it feels like an achievement. Accomplishing all three of those goals simultaneously is all about balancing. At the moment, the wheel is unbalanced and is hurting every aspect of Sylestia. We're adding too many Themed Pets and not getting enough value out of each individual Theme which overall is diluting Themed Pets. Additionally, we're adding way way way too many items into the game that otherwise wouldn't naturally be there causing them to become undervalued and no longer special.

So, as I've said, we will go back to the drawing board and rethink the Wheel concept so that we can release an improved version. But keep in mind that Sylestia is our full time job - so we do have to add premium items and ways for the Site to generate income otherwise we wouldn't be able to support ourselves and the Site.
Lovecraft
Level 60
Threads: 17
Posted: 2/20/2015 at 5:54 PM Post #23
I know alot of people complain about the Wheel of Dreams, but I liked it. Sure I got tired of getting philters I probably won't ever use, but still it was a nice thing to have. Will miss it.
Gamergirl1162
Level 60
Fright Master
Threads: 5
Posted: 2/20/2015 at 6:09 PM Post #24
True, to much of everything would cause it to be an easy lost of interest, like a dead thread... ;~;
MourningLily
Level 65
The Eggstraordinaire
Threads: 59
Posted: 2/20/2015 at 7:54 PM Post #25
Well the gambling soul in me will dearly miss the wheel, but my credit card thanks you for the forced break :P
Edited By MourningLily on 2/20/2015 at 7:56 PM.
GoldGryphon
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Threads: 74
Posted: 2/20/2015 at 8:21 PM Post #26
LOL! I have to completely agree with ML's take! :) My gambling side is going "awwww"... but my sensible side is going this is a good thing!

I do understand the business end and the consumer end of these thoughts. My husband and I run a business as well, and it is a constant thought process on how to keep things going smoothly, and also keeping it up to date. How to keep the different kind of customers happy, because that is what we all are... different kinds of customers, we all have different play styles, different likes and so forth.

I agree on what you are talking about and look forward to seeing what you come up with!
SpaceElf1
Level 75
Ghost Writer
Threads: 673
Posted: 2/20/2015 at 8:57 PM Post #27
Fai and Krin, you do what you have to in order to keep the site fun and yourselves with a roof over your heads, etc. I am not really concerned about the changes, because (1) inflation can ruin a game and (2) smart game site owners know that the people who get to really enjoy playing for free are the people who will decide they want to spend RW cash on the game. Games that are "play for free, pay to enjoy" don't last, and few people jump into a game and immediately start spending RW cash on it. This game has the potential to run for years. You two came up with it in the first place, so I don't think you're likely to blow it. (Crsses fingers. Wai8tg, that mskes ity hardn t type.0

To everyone who can't spend RW money in the game, guess what; you are still contributing to the success of Sylestia. You chat to other players, you create breeding projects that are interesting and that other players buy pets from, you run contests, you help new players feel welcome. These are all things that help the game and therefore help to keep the money-paying players here. (Also, Diamonds can be purchased with gold as well as with RW $, which is awesome.)

Finally, unless you are a minor, you may, in fact, be able to spend RW $ here, and you just haven't thought about it yet. Ever go out to a movie? How much is a ticket? US$ 11.00, or maybe $ 12.00? That's a lot of Diamonds, especially during a sale. A movie lasts maybe 3 hours. How many hours a week, month, year do you spend in Sylestia?

I probably spend $200 a year, at least, on books. Checking out just one book from the library instead of buying it would give me $2-15 I could buy Diamonds with. My point is, I was firmly against spending RW cash on an online game until I started putting in perspective. You can't hold Sylestia Diamonds in your hands, but you can't hold the content of a film or a book in your hands, either; you are buying enjoyment.

Think about it.

PS I vote for a future feature that allows me and my pets to adventure together with a friend and their pets. I'm just sayin'.
Reviren
Level 75
Collector of Souls
Threads: 32
Posted: 2/20/2015 at 9:13 PM Post #28
This had me laughing, as i find it incredibly true as it hits so close to home XD I know i shouldn't spend my money, but i find i have to do it anyways.

Also, to everyone else, Id just like to say this: As one of those really "lucky" players who has quite a number of wheel pets, I have noticed that I NEVER received a wheel pet while spinning with a lucky ticket. All my luck came from the normal tickets that anyone and everyone can get during the course of the festival.

Although i should note i have no life, and therefore spend almost every free hour playing during festivals; i simply continue to walk in a circle around the map hitting every foe and chest on the map. And i make sure to fully participate the site events, such as defeating X amount of bandits to get to the Queen of hearts.
Charzarddragon819
Level 60
The Tender
Threads: 69
Posted: 2/20/2015 at 11:04 PM Post #29
@Krinadon

Thanks for replying to my response, I really didn't think you would XD

Anywho, I wasn't saying to get rid of premium content completely! And I definitely understand better when your full time is on the site. I'm really happy that works for you guys, I feel like that would be an amazing job to have, running your own pet site. Also, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all this to me. It just proves that even though this is your job and business, you guys still do your best with it. I guess when I say business, I think of how games are all devolving to being micro transaction heavy, or I get scared that things could go towards Neopets where they don't even try to balance things and focus on profit profit profit.

I just really hope Sylestia will always be that site that stands out with user-friendliness, a great community, and opportunities for all players to get awesome items and pets, even if it is more difficult without paying.
Edited By Charzarddragon819 on 2/20/2015 at 11:07 PM.
Sonatine
Level 69
Snow Wars Mastermind
Threads: 19
Posted: 2/21/2015 at 1:19 AM Post #30
I will be sad to see the wheel go, as the gambler's high excitement from spinning and the communal griping about the odds are fun for me. We may complain about it without end, but it brings us together.

That said, I understand that there needs to be a change; even if I like having an extra masterful snare or two sitting around, it makes sense to keep premium items at least somewhat exclusive, and the current setup makes that difficult. Naturally I'm curious about what will replace the wheel, though, and I'm sure that whatever changes are made will be well-planned, and for the better.

In the meantime, I'll entertain myself by imagining a future in which philters have become rare and precious commodities, and we will tell new players stories about the "good ol' days" when philters fell from the Sylestian skies instead of rain.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.