Author Thread Post
Kelardy1
Level 60
Threads: 47
Posted: 1/13/2015 at 6:52 PM Post #31
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=21475&page=2#18
Author: Krinadon
Time Posted: 1/13/2015 at 6:08 PM
All wings are now coming from the shoulders. This was done so that we could avoid having mutations all clash with each other.

I understand what you're saying here but it clashes really badly

the image is that of my fallen qutari that I had to fix (I've thankfully not generated this project yet) but the wings just look down right bad, and if these where living things, the location of the wings wouldn't be good for a living thing and a few friends of mine and I where talking and from an anatomical standpoint came up with this agrugment:

yeah that little issue with the wings, they're not attached in an optimal position, the bones of the wings and the bones of the front legs would mesh, so they'd either be attached or both limbs wouldn't be able to move properly. But they can't come from the shoulders, at worst a species with that kind (a quadruped) of clash would cause a lot health or mobility issues. Even paralysis if one of the limbs in that area bent into the wrong socket. Below the scapula is the most optimal area for wings on a 4 legged creature
which is usually midback

Either way the movement of the wings or the movement of the legs would force the other to move
So essentially someone riding the QItari that happens to hook their legs underneath the wings would make the beast unable to move at all
Or the beast would try to move and the joint would break
IT would be a very weak or in-agile species
if they had wings there

my original fallen had nightmare armor but it doesn't look 'nightmare'-ish enough anymore -.-

Edited By Kelardy1 on 1/13/2015 at 6:55 PM.
Marsandin
Level 75
The Jolly
Threads: 20
Posted: 1/13/2015 at 6:53 PM Post #32
I AM SO HAPPY!!!!

Thank you all (artists and admins) for making this game and putting so much time and effort into it. The qitari look amazing.
Teefa85
Level 75
Crystalline Cleaver
Threads: 11
Posted: 1/13/2015 at 6:59 PM Post #33
Oooooooooh...my girl Ebony is looking really nice!

Maimah
Level 67
Sylestiologist
Threads: 58
Posted: 1/13/2015 at 7:07 PM Post #34
erm boss? the dragon scales are staying white

(they should be black)
Ky3
Level 60
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 0
Posted: 1/13/2015 at 7:13 PM Post #35
Kelardy is absolutely right... The anatomy with the wings is horrendous, and painful to look at. Even taking into account that this is an artistic rendering of a fantasy animal, a good fantasy animal design still follows rules of basic anatomy. There is artistic licence, and then there is bad anatomy. This falls into the latter, sadly. Which is made even more unfortunate because the update as a whole is absolutely breathtakingly amazing.

Fix this... please... Think of all the poor, helpless, hideously deformed, vestigialy-winged Qitari... They don't deserve this.
Edited By Ky3 on 1/13/2015 at 7:14 PM.
Fimbry
Level 74
Site Moderator
Threads: 0
Posted: 1/13/2015 at 7:15 PM Post #36
About the wing placement, it was decided to do it this way to keep everything in one one spot to avoid clipping. We didn't want the wings to get in the way of armor too much and they would completely destroy saddles if they were placed back, so shoulders seemed like a reasonable spot.

Also, if we were to make the the wings coming from behind the shoulders, having its own specific clavicles connecting to a pectoral girdle of some design, it would lead to smaller wings due to the box. While I realize it would be more correct, given the confines of working with mutations and a 500px box, this was the best compromise we could come up with. :) Plus most images of Pegasus I've ever seen show the wings coming from the shoulders, we figured it would work the best out of our options. I hope you understand!
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,122
Posted: 1/13/2015 at 7:18 PM Post #37
Because all of the colors are white? =| I don't understand lol.
Weretigress
Level 24
Threads: 1
Posted: 1/13/2015 at 7:19 PM Post #38
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=21475&page=4#35
Author: Ky3
Time Posted: 1/13/2015 at 7:13 PM
Kelardy is absolutely right... The anatomy with the wings is horrendous, and painful to look at. Even taking into account that this is an artistic rendering of a fantasy animal, a good fantasy animal design still follows rules of basic anatomy. There is artistic licence, and then there is bad anatomy. This falls into the latter, sadly. Which is made even more unfortunate because the update as a whole is absolutely breathtakingly amazing.

Fix this... please... Think of all the poor, helpless, hideously deformed, vestigialy-winged Qitari... They don't deserve this.

Although I have no official power to say so, I would recommend that the users who have an issue with the wings state their issues with it in a polite fashion--more flies with honey than vinegar and all that. While all the artists and designers are professionals, it certainly does put a damper on one's day to read snide comments about something that they spent a great deal of time on. Critique should be constructive, not tear someone down. :)

Please also consider that the space requirements for working on the wings, as well as making sure that they don't cover other mutations too heavily (ie, having them flung forward in a way that utilizes perspective to make them appear larger) constrains some of our options.

All that said...I really don't see much of the problem. The shoulderblade attachment is par for the course for fantasy quadrupeds, primarily dragons and pegasi. :)
Velyanthe
Level 60
The Hallowed
Threads: 22
Posted: 1/13/2015 at 7:23 PM Post #39
Color 3 controls the scale color; the mutation slot doesn't do anything to the scales' color, just shape.
Kelardy1
Level 60
Threads: 47
Posted: 1/13/2015 at 7:25 PM Post #40
I'm not at least overly upset with it in it's entirety, I like almost everything else Besides the wings. Maybe it wouldn't look as bad if it the wings and the scales looked a little more blended, as it is now the wings just pop out at one, if a few scales where up into the wings at least around where it connects, or feathers down over the connection it might not look as bad. Because as it is now, the edge looks like they are just ghosting out of the shoulder
Edited By Kelardy1 on 1/13/2015 at 7:27 PM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5... 10, 11, 12
This Page loaded in 0.013 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.