Forum Index > Suggestion Box > (Closed) Inactive player purge
Page 1 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Cub
Level 54
Threads: 4
Posted: 4/24/2024 at 5:41 AM Post #1
Heya. (updated a lot)

I noticed there being a lot of inactive players, or players like "last online 2013". :0
To reduce server load, save data and space and keep Sylestia neat,
I suggest a system of inactive player deletion.

How would it work?

If player has nothing paid content, haven't been online in 3 years, and they have under 10 pets with no actions between other players (such as breeding or lineage) then they can be deleted with the system.

I noticed that there is no option for player deletion, and I just want to say that:
It's a player right to be able to delete their account if they want to.

- Cub :3

I do understand vintage. Didn't know that people breed them from inactive players and ofc lineage cuts apart. Good points <3
I'm more concerned of those who have abandoned their accounts completely and has 0 to 1 pets. :P They do take up data form the server and the environment too. I want this server to be clean as possible.

Something is better than nothing <3 A suggestion that can be adjusted however the admins want to. I encourage to delete those with few pets that have clearly abandoned this game and have nothing valuable on this game.

Here's about environmental impact for fun:

"For instance, if everyone around the world deleted just 10 emails (spam or not spam), that would save 1,725,000 gigabytes of storage space, which is around 55.2 million kilowatts of power." (according to The Good Planet)'

But if nothing, I vote for any type of deletion that a player can do themselves for freedom rights! It could also be just "owner unknown" so the pets stays in line.
Edited By Cub on 4/25/2024 at 3:23 AM.
Katty
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Threads: 202
Posted: 4/24/2024 at 6:29 AM Post #2
This is hard though cause imagine spending rl money on a game and go to trot back to it after an absence of 6 months cause life got busy and your account was purged. That would present alot of issues i imagine. I dont think any games so purges that regularly even neopets its 5-10 years between purges
Cub
Level 54
Posted: 4/24/2024 at 8:30 AM Post #3
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=108468&page=1#2
Author: Katty
Time Posted: 4/24/2024 at 6:29 AM
This is hard though cause imagine spending rl money on a game and go to trot back to it after an absence of 6 months cause life got busy and your account was purged. That would present alot of issues i imagine. I dont think any games so purges that regularly even neopets its 5-10 years between purges

Of course the amount was a suggestion. <3 For payed players that time could be even longer!

Based on Howrse for example, they delete accounts after 180 days (6 months). I suggested somewhat the same amount.

So few years is understandable for "life happens" situations. I was more concerned of those who have abandoned their accounts completely and has 0 to 1 pets. :P
They do take up data form the server and the environment too.

I want this server to be clean as possible. I've seen those "help reduce Server Load, stats disabled" in players profile pages and wondered if I could suggest something for help! <3

I don't really see much complications with this.
- If you have been offline, you get notified two times. All you need to do is log in once and it resets. It takes just a minute to do and your account will be saved.
- If someone has paid for something, they could have longer wait time. After all, it's just money if they decide not to play. There could also be 30% return payment if they have a valid reason to quit and apply for it.
- This also is a reason to make a real account with real email. If someone uses a fake email, they risk losing their account for good.

So if any type of cleaning system is applied to this server, it would do lot's to the universe and smooth loading. <3 I personally am a minimalist, and I've seen how much good cleaning up clutter does, so I want to share it everywhere I can :D
Dracaena
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Threads: 58
Posted: 4/24/2024 at 9:10 AM Post #4
6 months would make a lot of people mad; I've seen it - people complaining about that when it comes to Howrse; all the money they spent that was wasted just because they went to college for a while and couldn't afford distractions. 6 months is not very long.

If this was a thing on Sylestia, i'd say 5-10 years would be more reasonable, and only if the account doesn't have a lot of pets, or lots of pets up for sale and breeding, etc. I've bought quite a lot of very old themes from inactive accounts.
Faeyla
Level 75
Trickster
Threads: 36
Posted: 4/24/2024 at 10:06 AM Post #5
A big no for me. Older themes can be very difficult to find for breeding projects and many of these older accounts have these pets set up for breeding. Delete the account and bye bye pets to breed with.

If the concern is finding active players (personally not something I've ever been concerned about), there could just be a box added to click on in the player search area.

Krin has stated in the past that deleting accounts is something he wants to avoid, so I doubt server loads are an issue. There are a lot of games where accounts are never deleted and they do just fine.
Cub
Level 54
Posted: 4/24/2024 at 10:10 AM Post #6
Okay, maybe no one gets the environmental point of this. :P Bummer.

I do understand vintage tho. Didn't know there are skins like that on those accounts.

But yeah. Something is better than nothing <3 It's a suggestion that can be adjusted however the admins want to. I encourage to delete those with few pets that have clearly abandoned this game and have nothing valuable on this game.

Heres about the environental impact tho with Email example:

"For instance, if everyone around the world deleted just 10 emails (spam or not spam), that would save 1,725,000 gigabytes of storage space, which is around 55.2 million kilowatts of power." (according to The Good Planet)
Edited By Cub on 4/24/2024 at 10:19 AM.
Imperium
Level 75
Guardian
Threads: 386
Posted: 4/24/2024 at 4:16 PM Post #7
I'm pretty sure that message for reducing server loads is like...SUPER old. I remember having lag issues in Sylestia a long time ago but that's not normally the case anymore. I don't know if Krin intends to keep that message on those pages after he's finished recoding the site but I do recall that he's not a fan of (1) deleting accounts/pets and (2) sending out emails to try to get players back on site.

Sylestia has always been a nice place where it doesn't try to force you to constantly be active in fear of losing progress or your account. The best thing about Sylestia is that it does not EVER delete users or their pets. In my opinion being able to trace a pets full lineage is better then the trashy look of "disappeared horse" messages I see whenever I visit my unicorns on Howrse.

I appreciate that you care about the environment but there are other ways to go about it rather then arguing to tear a core value of Sylestia away just because you don't see the need for it. Have you considered making a club on the site that offers pointers like the one you made to help the environment or even in the off topic forums? (Once again, something you can do here that you would never be able to do on Howrse.)
Eid0lon
Level 75
The Perfectionist
Threads: 43
Posted: 4/24/2024 at 4:25 PM Post #8
I have to say, I had a hiatus for 2 YEARS because of personal reasons and factors that were not in my control. If my account had been deleted, I would have been absolutely heartbroken that all my pets and progress was gone. Couple that with the fact that any important emails I get from anyone, even family (unless their contact is put as a VIP), go straight into my spam folder. I'm sure others have had similar things happen, and if they did intend on coming back, lets say after a 7 month hiatus, they would have to restart all over again. I understand your concern about environmental issues, but I would strongly suggest perhaps making a club or something using the forums (in the correct places, of course) to get more people to look at them.
Frostfal
Level 75
Cutely Creative
Threads: 53
Posted: 4/24/2024 at 8:49 PM Post #9
I'm a bit mixed on this. While I don't think that an automatic purge would be the best idea, a voluntary account deletion action where players could choose to delete their accounts if they wanted to might be nice. This could help with the server issue without actually deleting accounts left and right.
Cub
Level 54
Posted: 4/25/2024 at 3:07 AM Post #10
Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know deletion isn't an option at all, which to me sounds wrong :c
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.