Posted: 7/1/2020 at 1:28 AM Post #1
Edited By Limor on 7/1/2020 at 1:32 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 293
Posted: 7/1/2020 at 1:28 AM Post #2

written by Limor, edited by Limor

Now much happened this month and lets take a look at it! So this month we saw the end of the Spring Festival, which was yesterday. Now it's time for us all to get ready for the summer festival - get your designing caps on, if we're lucky summer fest design thread will out in the next month!

Too start off lets get you those winners of the site help games!

Scavenger Hunt!

Candy Guess

Word Search

Create A 3 Visible Spring Pet
Aspenanimations

Hanitsirk

Kalores

First Place
Amberfur

CeruleanCrow

Penami

Second Place
Skor

Spaceelf1

Sunriseland

Third Place
Hanamomoya

Xedite

~~~

Now onto some other site news! A couple issues ago we mentioned the need for a new artist and we are all still awaiting the announcement for who it is, nothing has changed yet but us on the times still have it in mind :)

Now you all may be wondering what about those promised pet traits? Due to the work of the spring festival their release has been pushed back and we are all excitedly awaiting to see them released - which will hopefully be any day now!

Now onto some good news about traits! The Qitari mane(s) got an update! Nebula and Fire manes both got a small update. They now pull from m2, c3, a2, and ec.

(if you have photos showing old examples please contact me, Limor)

and that's all for this month! Hope you all found this insightful.
Edited By Limor on 7/1/2020 at 1:33 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 7/1/2020 at 1:29 AM Post #3

Games made by Limor, edited by Larkien

Note: All winners are put into a drawing to get a final winner!

Last time, no one submitted a finished slider, so that prize is still up for grabs!

Picture Slide
https://www.proprofs.com/games/puzzle/sliding/may-sylestia/
Here is the finished image:

A picture slide is a sliding picture puzzle. To win the prize for this, you must send a screenshot of the finished photo that includes your time and number of moves. Whoever has the shortest time and number of moves will win this prize:

Word Search

Here, we have your average word search. To complete the word search, pop it into a drawing program like MS Paint or FireAlpaca, and once you're finished, DM the messages to Limor. Don't share your answers! The prize is this pet:

If you ever want to play old Times games in your free time, they can be found here!
Edited By Limor on 7/1/2020 at 1:34 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 7/1/2020 at 1:29 AM Post #4

Written by Limor and Orcastration, edited by Limor

The Legend trilogy by Marie Liu.

This book series is also incarnated in movie form, though he book is much more clear when it skies a to....certain things. Set in the future, in a flooded and broken (kind of) world, with very futuristic tech except in the divided United States, n known as the Republic and the Colonies if I remember right. the series focuses on two teens: June, the Republic's Prodigy (a person who scored full points on a test all children take to determine their status and if they live or die), and Day, a vigilante who escaped being killed for presumably having he lowest score ever received, though there is some debate on that......Anyways, both teens eventually meet and over the course of over series, restore both he Republic's and the Colonies and stop the war between the to while trying not to fall in love. There are three books, Legend (referring to Day) , Prodigy (referring to mostly June although the title can apply to Day as well)- and Champion (once again referring to Day though technically the term te s to both teens) and the series is a bestselling series. The series is geared towards a young adult audience, although it is certainly suitable for most teens as well.

(Fun fact: my cousin got me hooked and into another series by the same author)

and that's it for book review! Now onto Limor's podcast review!

Hello all and back with another podcast review! This podcast review we'll be taking a look at Spooked. Spooked is narrated by Glynn Washington, who is the Grandson of a seer. This podcasts is about people who have experiences with the ghostly and otherworldly nature of our beings. This is a podcast of the ghosts and the mystical, sure to send a shiver down your spine. A segment taken straight from the description of this podcast sums it up nicely, "A student of magic, Glynn has traveled the world in search of the mystic, the strange, and the divine. I cant explain everything Ive seen. Washington admits. I keep wondering, what am I missing? Thats really what this show is all about."

And that is all I have for you today, I hope you all enjoyed hearing about this Podcast and give it a look over! It can be found on Spotify, YouTube, their site, and a few other places! Let me know if you've heard any podcasts you want me to review or what you think of past podcasts i've reviewed!
Edited By Limor on 7/1/2020 at 1:37 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 7/1/2020 at 1:29 AM Post #5

Have a birthday next month? Want a happy birthday message on the Times? DM Limor for more info!

Edited By Limor on 7/1/2020 at 1:39 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 7/1/2020 at 1:29 AM Post #6

Written by Mosslight2 and Sadie, edited by Limor

Q: Why do you dislike water sprites so much?
A: Theyre just so annoying, and have never contributed anything to Sylestia at all!

Q: Whats your favorite thing to do?
A: I dont have a single favorite thing, but I love playing with other Sylesties! I also like creating huge waves and splashing others!
Edited By Limor on 7/1/2020 at 1:40 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 7/1/2020 at 1:29 AM Post #7

Written by Duckbunny427, Edited by Limor, Comic by Aspenanimations

Here is the artist interview with Byteme96!

When did you start doing art?
A billion years ago. I honestly don't know.

What is your favorite thing about art?
Isn't is just amazing that one can transform plain objects (blob of clay, paper etc.) into something people will admire and love?

What do you love making art of most and why? (people, animals, sylestis, etc.)
DRAGONS!!! A trillion, billion, Quintilian dragons! Why? Isn't it obvious? BECAUSE THEY ARE AWESOME! (Yes, I am crazy.)

What is your favorite style of art and why? (Digital, pixel, painting, etc.)
Probably traditional. (Because that's the only type I've ever done.)

Any tips for new artists?
Even if you can only draw stick figures, as long as it's original, you're (maybe) going to be SUPER famous. A dude got tons of money by selling a ripped canvas. It was his 'art'. Not kidding.

Anything else you want to add?
DRAGONS!

Examples of art:

and here is a comic by the Times very own Aspen!
Edited By Limor on 7/1/2020 at 1:44 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 7/1/2020 at 1:29 AM Post #8

Written and Edited by CeruleanCrow

Welcome Welcome all! Your local Zolnixi Reporter Faron with a very interesting scoop on the latest and greatest design competitions. Ranging from pet designs to avatar designs, well even cover art and writing contests! Any contest will do! Well now during this month of June you know that the prizes keep rollin and the contests keep runnin!

We all know D.C.U from last months issue has a very interesting concept! This doesnt stop other users from creating design chains where a prompt is given every week or so. Here we have a participant from Snini9s Design Contests, Sleepyhollow! Tell me dear what were your motivations for joining the thread?

I'm a sucker for free pets lol. And if a player is holding the design contest, there won't be as many entries as the contests the admins run. Savvy? *wink wink*

Fascinating! Ill tell you there are a lot of contests out there and every one of them holds great value! Now please, any prizes catch your eye?

Not so much in the current (6/30) round, but previously I won these cuties:
https://www.sylestia.com/view/pets/?petid=5473900
https://www.sylestia.com/view/pets/?petid=5473872
https://www.sylestia.com/view/pets/?petid=5404299

Incredible yes! We all love new friends in our stables! Alright, so what about other participants? Any that you think puts up a great challenge?

Well the themes rotate every week or so. For the current round, it's Elements. I really like the Cherry Tree Guardian Ferrikki submitted by Lpscat120.

Yes yes! I think so too! I must say everyone is giving their all in these contests! Any prompt you were particularly excited to design for?

I liked the first one the best so far. The theme was Animals, so it's quite a bit easier to design a pet based on a real animal sometimes. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that I won....

Amazing! THank you so much dear, your input is greatly valued here! So now we come to a contest that has popped up on the front page quite often, a sign up form to design Puffadore pets! Some great names are on the list, so we turn to the host LostCry for their opinion on their own contest! Please tell us all LostCry, what were your motivations behind this contest?

Well, I had a LOT of regenable puffadores from before the revamp! I LOVE puffadores, but somehow when I was breeding them all, more came out female than male. Since I have so many extra female puffs without male counterparts, I thought I'd do a little tournament for the community to participate in! And, who knows? Maybe someone will win their dream puffadore!

Amazing! Id join too if I could design, but being a reporter will have to do! So now what about prizes? Any specific ones being handed out?

First place will receive a puffadore of their own creation! The top design will have their pet generated for them, no charge! The second place winner will receive 20k gold, and third and 4th place will both receive 10k gold.

Fantastic! Those sound incredible to win and to see! How about the participants themselves? Do any big names or small names catch your eye?

Stormclan666 and Mossflight2 both have me placing bets on their designs! But, the winner is not decided by me. All people from the community may vote on the design of their choice for each round!

Wow! Thats a tall call for the community! Last question, why was there a trait limit put on the designing?

Because the puffadores I own are regenable, that means I cannot use traits that were added after the revamp. Sad, I know, but I'm still thankful for the creative freedom that we do have!

Thank you so much LostCry for your amazing contest and insight into the workings of it!

Well folks youve seen it for this month! Many other contests are out there and just begging for attention! Be sure to join up as many as you can, flexing those designer skills and getting on the top spot! For now, this is Faron, signing off for Junes issue! See you all next month and Happy Designing!~

Faron Sprites were based on a fanganronpa sprite collection. Under the guidelines of Fair Use we are able to publish them in this free online newspaper. Thank you for your consideration.
Edited By Limor on 7/1/2020 at 1:47 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 7/1/2020 at 1:29 AM Post #9

Written by Limor, edited by Limor

A few links to check out when making designs are:
Themed pet reference pages by Xavion
Comprehensive Guide to Themed Pets by Lavelle
Guide to Themed Pet Contests by Scathreoite

For this round of the Designer's Guide I teamed up with Torey!

We decided to tackle the rather unknown Loveland Frog! The Loveland Frog is a type of Cryptid and me and Torey both wanted a creepy (but fun!) theme for you all to enjoy! Below you will find both of our steps and creations on making this wonderfully creepy design (and how we each took different approaches!) Now Torey is a talented designer and I found them my browsing the themed threads, who knows maybe one of your designs will catch my eye and i'll invite you on the times as a guest!

Torey's Loveland Frog

Genes
I like to have a specific theme or scenario in mind when designing pets and choosing traits, and for this one I thought of an aged cryptid trying to survive in an urban, populated world, maybe living in a swamp off a highway. Since the topic was the Loveland Frogman, I started with(but didn't keep) green as the main body color. Next I see how much of the body the first and second genes cover, and toggle between gene and secondary body colors. I didn't like how green looked with the genes, so I switched green to more of an accent. I based my palette on the greens, oranges, and reds of aged copper to give off an old, faded, and forgotten vibe. Google images is really helpful here as it gives me an idea of what colors to use. I also Googled 'aged copper color palettes' as metal can be tricky to replicate with one color because it has texture and a shine. The end result has an interesting variety of copper values (and reminds me of a fire-bellied toad!).

Mutations
I pick mutation colors last since they go over genes, and I normally have one or two genes visible while messing with mutations. I like to think of them as a finishing touch, and they're normally another shade of a color I already used or something that complements the main color. If I had designed this as a Themed pet, I would've mixed and matched random traits to make sure most looked good together before submitting it. Since I only needed one design, I picked traits that matched my scenario.

Keep on trying!
I'd say that when designing, keep an open mind and be flexible. I've scrapped color palettes and themes that I felt stuck on or didn't look as good as I hoped; I coincidentally scrapped the first design I had for this prompt because I just wasn't happy with it. Even if it takes twice as long, it's so satisfying to make a design you're genuinely proud of. And thank you for letting me guest feature here!

Limor's Loveland Frog

Genes
For me, as you all may have noticed, I love the brighter colors. I'm a fan of those muted color pallets with some strong pops of color. For this design I wanted a brighter vibrant greenish yellow to pop! So what I usually work with is building up darker to lighter. The way the Electric Shock traits work it is a g3 but it doesn't cover much so it gets placed under the darker trait colors. For the color I used to pop I used an electric green-yellow to pop in the g2 petals area. The darkest color in the design is the g1, Red Panda covers a decent part of the Luffox so I wanted it to be the darkest body part of the color. That lighter green is used as a transition from the darker color to the neony pop!

Mutations
For mutations I wanted them to contrast against the body and genes, so I used some more mellowed out colors. None of these colors are too dark, and they aren't to light. I fell away from saturating these colors as I feel this adds a better blend and pleasant appeal to the design. I made the horns the brightest color of the mutation - though not to bright but bright enough to stand out from the body. The hearts I made pale white as glowy sort of traits and mutations always work better with white colors. The tail is just a random green color, that if brought in would work with the design - though many luffox tails don't show the m1 color.

Keep on trying!
It took me years to get a design on the themed list so remember keep trying! I've been designing since I first joined in 2016, so I have almost 4 years of designing (coming up July 5th!) under my belt. Remember as with any other skill practice, practice, practice! Keep in mind things like color theory as that will really help!

I enjoyed working with Torey and I hope you all found this fairytale fun design concepts entertaining!
Edited By Limor on 7/1/2020 at 2:03 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 7/1/2020 at 1:29 AM Post #10

and follow onto the next page for more!!
Edited By Limor on 7/1/2020 at 2:03 AM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3
This Page loaded in 0.014 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.