Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Other Fiction > Project I've Been Working On
Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Duucksauuce
Level 36
Threads: 1
Posted: 4/5/2019 at 7:54 PM Post #1
I've never done something like this before, so this'll be a first, and in that, I mean trying to share my story on a forum like this. Most my stuff is on Wattpad. I'd be willing to give it to any who ask, or you can just read my bio lol.

I desperately need input of the constructive variety. I'll put chapters that are already out here too.

Ok, here's chapter one. I hope anyone who looks at this likes dragons! Well that or dragon like people.

It's a warm evening, just barely starting to cool off from the sun's heat over the day and here on the beach, so many people have littered their scaly shed everywhere. Not everyone lets off their scales since they don't have them, but there's always someone. My beach towel's still moist from a few hours ago, still holding onto the sand I tracked onto it from walking out of the water. I've got a now empty lunch bag slumped over and being used as a pillow beside me.

"Starting to get late," he says while adjusting the lunch bag.

"The beach doesn't close for another half hour. I think we're fine for a bit," I explain.

"You just don't want to move. Too comfortable?"

"Says you, who went and stole my bag and hasn't stood up in over an hour to even go to the bathroom!"

I shove the bag out from underneath him and watch his head fall backwards into a mound of sand he made with a thud. He props himself up on his elbows and tries to shake the sand from his hair. He gives a quick glare before finally sitting up.

"Shouldn't have used my lunch bag, Austyn," I laugh.

"Shouldn't have left it out for someone to take it."

He tosses the bag back over to me and stands up in a stretch. I keep seated and look out to the setting sun. It's already a golden evening with the sun casting dark shadows of the islands onto the water. Sometimes I hear the sounds of something large out there from the island, like now. It's a low rumble, barely more than an echo at this point. I want to see what's over there at some point.

"Not my fault when someone steals it when failing to get a gir-ACK" I feel the sting of something hitting my face.

The thing that hit me falls into my lap and begins to roll away. The beach ball falls into the sand and I'm left still feeling the sharp edges of the plastic cutting into me, even if it's already gone. I can feel the redness already begin to fade when Austyn picks up the beach ball.

"You good there, Donny?" he asks.

"Other than the beach ball to the face, I'm fine. It hurts," I say.

A group of kids come running up to us looking up at Austyn. One of them has a patch of scales on their arm and points to the ball.

"Can we please have our ball back?" the kid asks.

"Yeah, sure," Austyn nods.

He tosses the ball to them and the kid catches it with ease. The one who asked for the ball back begins to take a step back with a smile on his face.

"Thank you-"

"What do you think you're doing?!" a woman shouts.

"I'm just getting our beach ball back!" the kid shouts back.

"Get back here. Leave the ball and come back."

"But-"

"Now, or you're grounded."

The woman is pointing to her side and glaring heavily at the both of us. The kid and his friends walk back with their heads hanging low. He starts to turn back, ball in hand.

"Sorry to-" the kid starts.

"I said drop the ball and get here now!"

I can see the wavering lips of the kid before he turns back and makes his way over to the woman. He drops the beach ball, watching it lightly bounce off the sand and roll away from him. All I can do is watch them walk away with that lady staring back at us.

"Don't talk to people like them. They're not worth your time," the lady whispers to them.

"I don't see what's wrong with them."

"They're the Nulled. You don't want to be near people like that," she says.

They begin walking away and I can't stop glaring at that awful woman. My fists are balled as I get up and grab my towel.

"The Nulled? The Nulled! She's one of those crazy people, can you believe it?" I grumble.

"Don't think about it too much, Don. The more you do, the worse your mood will be later."

"Hard to do when I run into these kinds of people all the time. One of these days, I'm going to find myself doing something I'll regret!"

I make a choking motion to an invisible imaginary figure in front of me. Austyn just shakes his head as he picks up my lunch box. Dusting it off, he hands it to me.

"Maybe it's time to head home now?"

"Fine."

We walk away from the beach and down from the parking lot. Austyn is looking up at the sky where a couple of people fly overhead. I can feel the wind from how low and fast they zoom by. I watch them enter a tree house. Austyn heaves a sigh with a small smile on his face.

"What's with you?" I ask.

"Just me thinking about flying again. Most I get is to look up at them, but the idea of it...it sounds amazing. Just imagine it," he explains with a sigh.

"Well, with the kind of attitude we get, I'm sure they'd fight you all the way to you owning yourself a pair of mechanical wings."

"Maybe. Maybe not. The one reason for it all is because he have no features. Getting our own could just be it, even if it's just to shut people up for a day."

An idea hits me hard in the head, ripe and ready for me to turn into reality. My pace slows while I'm thinking it out but this is worth it if it works.

"You're a genius, Austyn!" I gasp.

"What are you on about? Me? A genius?" he laughs.

"You're the one who gave me the idea."

"What idea?"

"You see, you said just change up your appearance a bit and they'll be sure to leave you alone."

"Oh that. What are you gonna do?"

"How about some hair dye, fake horns?"

He stands there in thought for a good long second before breaking out into laugh.

"Yeah that ain't fooling a toddler so the only being fooled is yourself!"

"Yeah ha ha ha...no really! Why not try it?"

"Only if it looks real and I look cool."

"Can only find out if you're willing to."

We keep walking back to my place, making sure not to be too noticeable in our loud conversation. While Austyn is thinking over his choice, I keep looking forward at the incoming intersection we have to walk through. There's a few cars driving through and no one on the sidewalk except for one person looking our way. I can't help myself but keep trying to get a better look at the guy since something about him seems off. Beneath the man's hood are glowing jungle green eyes lighting up a long and thin smile that's... a beak? He looks like he's staring at me. That's reinforced by the small slow wave. I glance away, unsure of what I just saw.

Must have been a hobo.

Looking back, I see the person is gone. Where could he have gone? He isn't down the road and I don't see a trail of him anywhere. Maybe I was imagining it.

"Donny? Ya hear me?" Austyn asks.

"Huh?"

I look him, trying not to look back at where the strange man was.

"I said, what about a simple hair dying?"

"Oh! Yeah...sounds like a good idea," I nod my head.

"Now it's my turn to ask what's on your mind."

"Nothing. Just thinking again."

"About?"

"Just dumb stuff."

"Oh do tell."

We cross the street and are already almost to my place.

"It really wouldn't be that interesting."

"Oh come on, it must be."

"Oh I guess thinking about a spilled milk container isn't dumb," I lie.

He chuckles.

"Funny enough but dumb, yes."

Walking up to my place, Austyn is already parting ways. I'm still thinking about the creepy man. Passing through the gate in, I make sure to look back to see if that man is still lurking about. I let out a sigh seeing that only Austyn is on the side of the road.

"See ya tomorrow, Austyn!" I call out and wave.

"See ya!" he shouts back.

I unlock the door and begin to head in but something makes me pause. The slow rumble from the ocean sounds again. Today is particularly loud. I close the door behind me and toss off my shoes near the shoe rack. I can hear the TV from out here in the kitchen which can only mean one thing. I snag myself a quick snack and head into the living room for the stairs leading up to my room.

The couch is occupied and I take a moment to see what's playing.

"Four reports of wyvern attacks in the past week add up to the countless attacks from the whole of this month. It is highly advised that people either remain inside or travel in groups to keep the wyverns from targeting you," the news reporter says.

"It's good to see that you're back, and a little earlier than I thought you would be, dear," mom says as she stands up from the couch.

"Yeah, Austyn and I just chose to not to do anything else. The beach was getting annoying," I say.

"Well that's too bad. Anyways, dinner's in the fridge if you're hungry. I'm going upstairs."

"Alright then."

Mom heads upstairs and I go the same direction. Dinner will be good, but I'm feeling like eating later. Stepping into my room, I'm met with the darkness. It's a stumble through to find the light and turn it on. I end up sitting at my computer and getting ready to play a game, if I can find anything that I feel like playing right now. A little message pops up at the bottom of the screen.

Witchy: hows the day treatin ya?

I type in my response.

Dargon: Just another meh day, wasnt so bad just hanging at the beach with my friend

Witchy: didnt do anything more?

Dargon: not really. ocean's bit loud tho

Witchy: what?

Dargon: guess i mean the wind

Witchy: makes sense. Ya wanna play a game?

A loud sound booms that I can't ignore. It's loud enough that it sends shivers down my spine and I would have jumped out of my skin if I could. There's no way that I'm the only one who can hear it this time, as it has been with the rumbles.

"Uc uttulgun hot! Fouev zer!" the rumble speaks.

I've never heard it sound like that before, with the words so clear but making no sense. Is there a language I've heard before? My heart is pounding and I've jumped out of my seat. I run to my window and push open the curtains. Orange and white town lights glow all the way to the beach but I can't see anything, nothing but a single island out of the many heading out to the horizon has the leaves of the trees on it shaking. I can't take my eyes off what's happening.

I can spot flashes of green and purple light breaking through the trees and reflecting off the water's surface. Something is happening over there and I'm curious enough to go near it, even if it's for the better that I don't. It's a fight to take my eyes off the island and turn back to the computer, even more so to set away from the window and sit down.
Duucksauuce
Level 36
Posted: 4/5/2019 at 7:54 PM Post #2
Dargon: something just came up, gonna see what it is

Witchy: thats fine, i'll be waiting

I switch over to talking to Austyn. I don't know if he's going to see my message in time but I want to ask anyways.

Dargon: did you hear that sound?

No: what sound? there's no way that i could have heard u

Dargon: it sounded like someone in an another language speaking at the sound of ear hurt

No: no

Dargon: so thats just a me thing then

No: r u ok?

Dargon: yes i think im fine

No: might wanna have yourself checked out

Dargon: theres light coming off the furthest island

No: wot

Dargon: look for urself out there, youll see it

I get up for a quick second to see if it's still going and sure enough, the lights are still shining. I hear the notification that he's responded.

No: what is that?

Dargon: I don't know but it doesn't look like Beast Control

No: ok so maybe ur not crazy.

I go to check outside to see what's happening, if it's still there. The lights are dimming until they stop all together. I begin to turn to tell Austyn the news on the computer, but the island is still moving out there. Trees are still shaking in the evening light until something takes off from the island, something large. It looks like a...can't be.

There's no way.

Yeah, that's just a large bird, right?

I can't stop staring as the large creature rises higher and higher into the sky, followed by a hord of what look like wyverns but it's so hard to tell from this distance and with poor lighting. A message sounds from my computer. I don't want to stop looking at what I'm seeing here. What if it vanishes from my view when I take a moment? No, no, it will be there when I come back. The bird is moving slow enough that it wouldn't be moving from the view my window gives.

I run over to the desk and find it's a message from Austyn.

No: i dont see lights

Dargon: look up into the air

No: wat is that

Dargon: im going outside to look

I step away from the computer and bolt down the stairs, skipping steps at a time to get out there fast as I can. I just hope mom isn't bothered by it. I push open the kitchen door and look up to the sky. Other people have stepped outside with phones pointed to the sky. There's the signature click of photo taking.

"Can you guys see this? I think this is real proof of dragons! They're real!" one person exclaims to their phone.

"No way this is a dragon. While large, this thing isn't nearly as big as from documents from ancient history. That, and it looks more like a bird," another claims.

"I think it's got babies!"

"No, you dummy! Those are wyverns."

I step out onto the side of the road, looking on as I hear the bird like creature giving out small roars. In an instant, the beast makes a hard turn back to the ground with wings folded. The shape of it is getting larger and larger until it falls into the woods. Those dots of creature behind the large one are definitely wyverns. They descend into the woods after the beast and the lights begin again.

Green and purple flash between the branches once more.

"Hello, Beast Control? There's a concerning and dangerous looking incident happening over here," someone calls.

The trees are creaking and I can see some of them toppling with a push and shove. Leaves flutter up into the air and debris is starting to head our way. It's getting closer and closer with each passing second. The mess of a fight is heading straight for the house! I rush to the door and run up the stairs, knocking hard on mom's door over and over.

"Mom! Mom, we gotta get outta here! There's something coming in the woods and I think it's big enough to destroy the house!" I shout.

The door slowly opens and I grab her by the arm.

"What in the world has got you acting like this?" she asks.

"Just step outside and take a look at this!"

She stops moving as I try to tug her along. I keep ahold of her wrist, hoping she won't question what's happening.

"I need you to explain what's happening."

"We're in danger!"

I run back out the door without looking back. If she follows, I'll know only when I feel I'm far enough from this danger. I hear the door shut behind me seconds later as I step out to where I was before. People are staring behind the house. The sounds have gotten so loud, roars echo in the valley around the town as they come closer. I run to the left as the trees part and the head of a wyvern is the first to break through.

Something about it doesn't look right. It has hair on it's head and it's twice the size of a normal one. I've never seen anything like it before as it runs out, wings spread wide open and charging forward. It ignores the boundaries of the backyard fence and breaks through it as it runs forward at...me!

Where's the beast that this giant heavily armored wyvern was fighting!? They were fighting all the way here. I turn for the yard across the street as the wyvern comes bounding forward. I can't jump over their fence and going left or right would lead into the creature's limbs.

"Help me!" I cry out.

No one moves a step, not even mom. She's standing there as the wyvern traps me with large sharp teeth pointed at me. The eyes are focused on me as I feel myself shrinking down to the ground. A large roar breaks out from the forest causing the wyvern to look back for a half second. I try to crawl underneath the wyvern. I starts to take off and I can already feel the breath I've held in release. I begin to stand up and the claws of the wyvern are suddenly wrapped around me, holding me tightly as it takes to the air.

"Donny!" mom calls out.

"Help me!" I shout.

I wish BC was here when it came. Now I'm snatched up and going higher and higher into the air. The wyvern keeps flying up, even as I watch the giant beast break out from the woods and launch after it. It gets closer and closer until it's right at the tail of the wyvern. It certainly looks like a bird with the beak and golden eyes, feathery wings, and...horns? Four legs? There's no way this can't be a dragon.

"Fo lifk he, ani sifo!" the beast screams out.

"This is my prey, not yours! It comes with me to Heru Een!" the wyvern shouts.

"Aue uk, fo ic he!"

"Let me go!"

I begin to slam my fists into the wyvern's feet in an attempt to hurt it, but these scales and it's skin is so thick. There's no way that it felt an ounce of anything at all through it all. If only I had some ounce of draconic blood to help me. The bird like dragon flies over the wyvern and unleashes a flash of green. I don't know what's happened until tree roots come into my vision and wrap around the legs of the wyvern. I think the dragon went and bound it's wings and I only find out when I stop heading up and feel that single weightless second before gravity takes over.

By instinct, I'm screaming for my life and covering my face with my hands. The ground is starting to race for my face as the seconds pass. Suddenly, the fall is stopped. I don't know what stopped it but opening my eyes and removing my hands reveals I'm still in the air...and with a single small wyvern following.

"There's still a wyvern left!" I call out to the dragon, who I'm assuming is the one keeping me from dying.

It doesn't respond to me. Does it speak english? What is that language? The dragon keeps flying until it reaches the valley. It drops both me and the wyvern with a sudden drop. I don't think it really cares that I'm here. I guess I can consider myself lucky. The moment this wyvern is too tired to hold onto me, I'm running for town. I can't see where the dragon landed but I hear the solid thud of it hitting the ground.

"Why did you take this child, ani?" I hear a woman ask.

The wyvern gives a small chuckle.

"Why would I tell the likes of you?" it says.

"How do you want to die?"

"More like I should be asking you how you want to die! With Heru Een returning, he will be sure to skin your kind alive."

There's the sound of the woman stepping forward and the sudden groan from the wyvern. It's claws tighten around me for a moment.

"I will slay you where you lay, making sure to wear your bones as a necklace."

"How scary, you Kwuhno."

"You won't be saying that in a second."

"And as for this human, it will be hunted down to the last second of its life.

I hear the sound of the wyvern beginning to whimper and suddenly convulse. The claws loosen around me for a moment, enough for me to crawl out of it's grasp and stand up. I look down at the wyvern's body which is still. The woman I heard before is standing over the wyvern's body but I only can keep looking at the wyvern. I walk around to the front of it with slow steps.

The blood suddenly becomes very visible as I make my way to the front despite my weak legs. The head...it's been stomped in and the neck of the creature which was hard as stone has been crushed. I have to look away from it.

The stink too, it's awful.

"Do you know why it was after you?" the woman asks.

I turn to look at her. She's got white hair and long horns, unusually long horns. Her clothes are a tattered mess.

"Where did the dragon go?" I ask.

"What dragon?"

"You didn't see where a beast that big would go? How could you not see it?"

"I was asking you a question."

"No, I don't know why it was after me. Are you the dragon?"

"I am not. What makes you think that?"

"Well, there was a dragon and now there's you? Seems to convenient."

"I might be the dragon."
Sharona
Level 75
Benevolent Brewer
Posted: 4/10/2019 at 7:04 PM Post #3
I just read this and really liked it. I'm not that big into dragons but liked the characters in this and that they seem like people who could actually exist.
It was a good idea to put all of the blank lines between dialog and paragraphs, they defiantly made the story easier to read. Everything seems to be grammatically correct and spelled right (I hate when people don't use spell check). Overall good job and keep it up!
Duucksauuce
Level 36
Posted: 4/11/2019 at 6:43 PM Post #4
Thanks for taking the time to read it! This chapter recently went through an overhaul on making it a whole lot more readable. You can find it on my Wattpad here

https://www.wattpad.com/user/UnoriginalHECC

You will also find more if you're interested. And don't worry, I will eventually have more stories other than dragons, it's just that this will be the first of many to come.

This Page loaded in 0.009 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.