Author Thread Post
Aura
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 73
Posted: 1/23/2019 at 8:17 PM Post #1
Here we go! Please critique! All, if not most, will be about animals ><

Fall of the Fire

The humid air filled Ryes lungs as he sucked in the hot scents of summer. Finally, the dry season was coming to an end. It had seemed to last an impossible amount of time.
The brown tabby cat had been trotting through the forest. The glimmer of the river reflected in Ryes brown eyes as he edged closer, pushing through bracken like it was nothing.
The ground sloped steeply downwards, and any cat caught unaware would trip and tumble down the five-foot mountain, rocks cascading around it.
Rye had experienced that before.
Not a very pleasant memory.
Slowing his pace, Rye harshly pressed a paw to the ground after each step to ensure his safety.
His paw fell through a canopy of leaves and loose dirt. Rye tensed his hind leg muscles and wound his tail around a tough sapling, driving his back paws into the earth.
He rested his chin on the ledge, and with the paw that fell through, he felt around for another ledge.
Rye had remembered the location of the ledge, but he wanted to be safe either way.
Paw hitting solid stone, he unwound his tail and fell onto the ledge that overlooked the gushing water.
Rye glanced up and saw the fern fronds waving where hed fallen. But there was something else. If he squinted and looked closely, Rye could catch sight of the sky and dark clouds forming through the dense leaves of the forest.
Turning back to the river below, Rye bunched his muscles and leapt for the stretch of sand lining the water down below. He landed silently and bounded the rest of the way to the river.
Rye bent down and lapped at the cool water. He relished the soothing taste on his tongue.
Thunder crackled just as rain started to pour down, nearly beating Rye into the ground.
I should make my way back to my den, he thought.
Sighing, Rye jumped up to level ground just as more thunder boomed. A white flash of light blinded him for a second and he fell flat on his face. He blinked the image out of his eyes and shook his head for good measure.
Quickly regaining balance, Rye stood up shook out his newly mud-covered fur. He dashed across the wet scene, making for his den.
It grew dark quickly. Rye opened his mouth wide. There was a sizzling noise. He breathed out and a dim ball of light formed in front of his nose. Rye flicked his ear and the glowing orb floated ahead, scouting out the freshly covered muddy scene that lay ahead.
Rye picked up his pace, yearning to get to his den and hunker down for the night.
Finally, eyes catching on a dark, looming hold in the ground, Rye slowed down and ducked inside his den. The sound of rain outside quickly put him to sleep.

Rye woke abruptly to a terrible stench penetrating his nose. The rain had stopped. The temperature had grown alarmingly high in a matter of minutes. It was way too hot for the middle of the night.
Rye squeezed outside and encountered a blinding glare or orange light.
Once his eyes had adjusted, a sudden snapping hit Ryes ears and he was blown forward with such force that could knock a tree down. Rye skidded across the ground on his side, winded. He opened his mouth wide to take a big gulp of air but was met instead with an unmistakable scent that of smoke.
A sudden wave of realization hitting him, Rye scrambled to his paws, ears ringing wildly. He could hear crackling. Scent smoke. See flames.
The forest was on fire!
Rye panted, but instead of nice, refreshing air flooding in, it was harmful, tainted smoke.
He couldnt breathe.
Rye ran for his life, for all he had lived for.
A great wall of fire blazed before him and he panicked but did not stop running. Adrenaline surged through Ryes veins and he kept running. Tensing his muscles, he leapt.
Straight over the flames.
Rye landed roughly, paws hitting the brown, lifeless ground with an audible thud.
He kept running, swerving around fallen trees and lifeless brush, barely being able to take in the terrible sights as they blurred past him.
A red haze rimmed Ryes vision, growing by the second. He was slowing, tiring. There was no clean air left to breathe in and replenish his stamina, for all of it had been replaced by the disgraceful smell of smoke.
Rye knew just where the forest ended and the endless meadows began. It was too far. He wasnt going to make it.
The red haze now obscured his eyesight. He couldnt see. Rye was running blindly.
Something hard and rough hit Ryes head. Insane amounts of pain flashed in his head before it all vanished. He could not feel pain. The ache in his lungs, the stiffness in his legs. It was all gone now. The red in his eyes flashed black.
Rye knew very well he was dying.
But Im not ready
He collapsed.

The was a distant, quiet murmur.
Then a blinding flash of white.
Ryes paw twitched.
Wait, am I alive?
He flicked his tail successfully.
But I thought
Rye tried breathing. Sure enough, fresh, clean air flooded his lungs. He took in massive amounts until his lungs ached.
Rye flicked his eyes open. He saw green. Little wisps of it.
Look! There was an excited whisper, followed by gasps of wonder and amazement.
The grass in front of his eyes parted and Rye was suddenly face to face with another cat. It was a female silver tabby with excited light blue eyes. Her shy smile widened at the sight of Rye alive and well. Her head disappeared as quickly as it had come.
Rye gasped and jerked his head up. Sitting around the fallen cat were three other cats.
A female black cat blinked in surprise. Her paws and chest were the color of freshly fallen snow and eyes the color of the sun.
But but I was sure he was done for, muttered a voice. Rye looked up and looming over him was a white cat with cream splatters. His voice sounded male. His eyes the color of a cloudless sky were pinned down on Rye suspiciously. When he caught Rye staring, he quickly averted his gaze and stared at a ladybug instead.
Rye scrambled to his paws, golden stripes shining in the broad daylight. Mustve been out all night. Ouch.
Glancing at each cat in turn, he narrowed his eyes. Who are you all? he meowed quietly. Where am I?
The silver tabby shifted her paws and stepped forward. I am Frost. The black one there is Coral and the white and yellow one is Tranquil. She spoke softly. We found you after the fire and brought you to this here field.
Rye turned his head to the destroyed woods. Smoke curled up from another fuming forest in the distance.
Anyway, Coral snapped with a pointed glare at Frost, theres nothing left for us here. Were moving to the Distant Lands.
So Rye tried to wrap his head around this plan. Leaving home? How could they do such a thing? You youre just leaving? Just like that?
Precisely, yeah, Coral turned back to Rye.
Care to join? Frost squeaked excitedly. Coral whipped around and cuffed her ear, then muttering something inaudible to Tranquil. Frost hung her head sadly.
Tranquil rolled his eyes. He can, Coral.
Coral flipped her head and stared at the ladybug Tranquil had been captivated by.
Frost and Tranquil turned and stared at Rye expectantly.
What was he supposed to say?
I guess, he meowed. Why not?
Frosts face flooded with happiness and Coral glared at her. Tranquil showed no emotion whatsoever.
North. Sounds great, Coral snorted. Lets go, already.
The bedraggled group stood up. Rye stretched before setting off.
They moved at a slow pace. Frost bounced around the cats, running in circles. Rye though she was noticeably smaller than the rest of them, maybe even a kitten. She certainly had the energy of one.

Leaving so soon? A strange, chalky voice growled.
Well, its not soon, weve been on the trail for hours, Rye thought. He shuddered.
What? Coral snapped at empty space.
You heard me.
We sure did.
No one spoke for a moment. The group stopped. Rye had the prickling sensation that someone was watching him, like when he was a kitten and his mother watched him and his sister while the play fought.
Quit being a coward, Coral snarled. Come out.
The long grass rustled and split. A orange tabby tom stalked out. Long scars stretched across the length of his body, but a noticeable one was on his nose. His left eye was missing and the other the color of blood. A fearful sight indeed.
He shook out his fur and circled the group of innocent cats.
Frost cowered. Coral glared at the new stranger, but a spark of fear showed even in her eyes. Tranquil stood straight, unnerved by the situation. Rye just stood there, a wave of confusion threatening to overthrow him.
Fear, Tranquil said calmly. Have you been good?
Tranquil, the tabby Fear spat. Long time, no see. By good, do you mean killing multiple innocent cats with the power I was born with?
Tranquil flicked his tail, and, surprisingly, his eyes dimmed in anger and annoyance. You know what I told you.
Fear snorted and stood up. I do. So, what? You dont control me. Wait he gasped mockingly. Are you finally here to challenge me?
Tranquil shook out his fur and flexed his claws. They gleamed in the bright sun. Yes. Yes, I am.
Fear crouched down and smirked. He unsheathed his claws.
Wait! Coral shouted. What in the world in going on?
The quarreling cats ignored her and began circling each other.
I guess well find out, Frost muttered darkly.
Finally, Fear leapt. Tranquil jumped aside, the tabbys claws lightly grazing his fur.
Fear lifted his head and flicked his tail. A bright ball of fire formed in the sky and dropped down on the cats. A white and gold translucent orb surrounded Frost, Coral, and Rye.
All but Fear were blinded by the light from the flames. When the light vanished, all but Tranquil remained unscathed. He lay down on the ground.
Gotcha, Fear smirked.
Not for long! Tranquil grunted.
A white tornado of light swirled around Fear. He shrieked in surprise. The tornado swirled faster and faster.
White electricity crackled from Tranquils ear tips and spread to his tail tip. He convulsed and shakily stood up, healed and well.
Rye blinked in surprise, about to speak, but continued watching instead.
The tornado eventually died down. When it did, in a small clearing of dirt and plucked grass, lay Fear. He was crumpled and defeated.
Tranquil slowly walked forward. He pressed his paw against Fears shoulder. The tabby shuddered at the touch.
Big mistake, bud, Tranquil shook his head sadly. Sorry, but I have to do this.
Visible energy crackled through Fears orange fur. He convulsed, but unlike Tranquil, instead of healing, Fear sank into his fur. His eyes closed and his flanks lay still.
The shield of white dissolved as Tranquil removed his paw from the deceased cats shoulder.
Frost, Coral, and Rye stared open-mouthed at Tranquil.
Coral was the first to come to her senses. What, she gasped, shaking her head in disbelief, was that?!
Tranquil turned to the staring cats. Old enemy of mine. His name is Flicker, but he insisted on everyone calling him Fear, he sighed. He lived in the Hearth Lands. He was deeply known for his crimes. I never knew he would do this, though. You see, Fear was born with a power. A power they call Fire. I was born with something we call Mend. It is very rare any cat is born with either, though, and an absolute gem if born with both. Fear once told me hed destroy the lands of Warming Woods, where we are now. I shrugged it off, thinking he was uncapable of such power. Ever since, hes been challenging me and been my worst enemy. I thought it would never come to this, Tranquil bowed his head respectfully. Rest in peace, old bud.
Frost stared blankly. Coral blinked.
Rye shook his head. Nice history lesson. Now that your enemys gone shall we go to the Distant Lands?
Frost smiled. Yeah, please!
I guess off we go then, Coral even purred and nudged Frost playfully.
Rye smiled.
And off the four went, heading for their new home. They shared stories of life before the dreadful fire. They shared their deepest desires, wildest dreams.
A beautiful sight, really.
Edited By Aura on 1/24/2019 at 5:40 AM.
Elsbie
Level 71
High Priest
Threads: 15
Posted: 2/24/2019 at 5:08 PM Post #2
Very nice!! I love your imagery. Very good job.
Aura
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 73
Posted: 2/24/2019 at 6:48 PM Post #3
Oh! Thank you a lot!
Elsbie
Level 71
High Priest
Threads: 15
Posted: 2/24/2019 at 11:30 PM Post #4
Absolutely! Thank you for sharing! :) Please do be careful about posting too much though, in case you ever want to publish it. It's good to protect your ideas as much as possible if that's your plan.

This Page loaded in 0.009 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.