Forum Index > Fan Fiction > Tale of the Necromage
Page 1 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Mightymoose13
Level 66
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 28
Posted: 11/27/2018 at 8:12 PM Post #1
Like most tales of adventure, or at least the cliche ones, our story began on a stormy winter night in a small village known as Hanai. My mother and I quickly tried to get our Sylesti back into their stalls and get the barn locked up tight. Harsh blizzards weren't uncommon around here so the preparations were purely routine. Despite its commoness, blizzards were also a nuisance, especially when there were some Faelora that wanted to be out in the snow, or had to cut their leisure time short and decided to throw a fit.

Mother sternly ordered them to their stalls, having no patience whatsoever. Which was understandable. The approaching storm was bigger than the usual ones so we couldn't waste time on a Sylesti throwing a tantrum. She told me to hurry and secure the doors shut then make my way to the house while she made sure the fire was lit to keep the animals warm.

I did what I was told and was immediately hit with the harsh winter wind once I got outside. Pulling my shawl tighter around myself, I quickly made my way towards the house when something caught my eye. The wind had blown an object into the property and covered it with snow. Logic and reasoning told me to just go in the house and deal with the object in the morning, yet a part of me felt that this couldn't wait. So for the first time, I listened to that small little voice and went over to where the object was buried.

Braving the raging storm, I trudged my way over to the object's location and dug into the freezing white snow. By the time I uncovered the object, my hands were freezing, nearly numb. I snatched it up then made my way back to the house, knowing mother had made it there before me.

Once inside she came over to me. She hit me then hugged me tightly.

"Why would you do that? I told you to come straight to the house. You never disobeyed."

I was shaking. From the cold and from the sudden realization that whatever pull to this possibly insignificant thing was, it caused me to disobey mother during the storm that could have killed me. I tried to verbally explain myself but was unable to without stuttering. So I revealed the object to her and myself.

It was an egg.

After cleaning snow off of it, it was shown to have strange colors that changed depending on where the light hit it. It would be red, blue, green, or even purple at some angles. Mother was just as curious as I was. When she took the egg I realized how deathly cold it was compared to my just as cold hands. I raced around the house gathering blankets and old clothes for the egg while also using the limited fire magic I knew to warm my hands enough to warm the egg to a proper temperature.

I really couldn't explain what compelled me to save it. Here, where freezing blizzards were a normal occurance, frozen eggs, while unfortunate, were just as common, why was I so keen on saving it?

One of the answers would be that I heard a soft, desperate voice crying out for help though I didn't believe it myself.

I didn't even believe the soft sigh of relief that I could have sworn came from the egg as I desperately tried to warm it up.

The few days that went by was uneventful. As usual we cleaned up after the storm and buried whatever Sylesti had become an unfortunate victim. This time around it was mother's prized buck Faelora, Tion. She had raised him delicately and intricately. From hatchling to adult.

She tried to poker face her way through the burial but I knew she was hurt. I never had much of a connection with him. He had come to only want mother to care for him and only ride him out to the village for supplies.

His mate was distraught over the loss and had become harder to handle. We decided to just leave her in her pen to mourn while we cared for the other's.

Our farm was small compared to the other three farms around here, the biggest being Hanai Farm. We had a few Qitari, about 6, an Aurleon coop, and an old gray Lupora named Fox. We had four Faelora, Tion and his mate's offspring, but of course we're down to three.

My favorite thing to do here though, was to check on the nursery and nurture the egglings. I was always fascinated by them. Some made noises when cold, some tapped, and some even rolled into other nests. This was also where I put the mysterious egg.
Edited By Mightymoose13 on 1/4/2019 at 4:02 AM.
Mightymoose13
Level 66
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 11/27/2018 at 8:16 PM Post #2
It sat alone in its own nest since we weren't sure what affect it could have on the other eggs. Once it had warned up, a strange mist swirled around it seemingly out of nowhere but the egg itself. Mother told me to steer clear of it. She didn't trust it. She said it gave her a bad feeling.

So, in secret, I would read or sing to the egg while mother was busy or asleep. After a while the mist began to change color in response. If it was cold it turned a pale blue. If it was too warm it turned orange. It always turned a bright yellow at the sound of my voice and seemed to make soft noises. I made sure it's nest was clean, that it was safe, and that there was food nearby in case it hatched.

Despite mother's teacherings of being weary of any thing from beyond the wood, I was actually excited to see what Sylesti this would hatch into. I was tired of seeing the same old eggs and doing the same old routines with them. Though, no matter how much time went by, the egg wouldn't hatch. Mother said it probably was a bad egg since no egg could survive out in the harshness of the blizzard. I didn't believe her. It still made noise and moved. It still responded to my voice and touch, not that I would say all of that to her.

The next three months went by uneventful at first. The egg began to turn a darker color, almost black.

Around that time, something new had made our woods it's new home. Something dangerous.

It was at dawn when they found the body of Farmer Amsterdam at the edge of the woods. His icy blue Qitari, Fiddler, had screeched and made enough noise to wake up the entire village. Farmer Jun and his son Hudson were the first to get up and follow the wounded creature to the body. I didn't see it personally but from the gossip Mrs. Luyie, the village baker, brought with her when she talked with mother had said that he had been torn to pieces.

"Don't be so morbid Angela." I heard mother say with disgust.

"That's what the rumors say though! The only only thing intact was his face. It was like some crazy animal got him."

"There are wild Lupora in the woods. One or a group of them could have easily done it."

There was a clatter as Mrs. Luyie put her cup down in agitation. "Jun said it didn't look like no Lupora attack."

"Jun is a senile old man who can hardly rake the yard. I see no-"

"Sibari said it looked.... Looked like Morkko."

Then it was silent. I strained to hear if there was anything else said, possibly in whisper, but there was nothing. What was a Morkko? Why did it attack Farmer Amsterdam?

Mother would never tell me.

Despite Mother's disbelief in something besides a Lupora living in the woods, she told me to just stick to taking care of the Sylesti on the farm while she took the others out for exercise. I was also only allowed to head into the village with her.

"Ezelle! Ezelle where are you?"

I sat up quickly from my nap just as Mother entered the hatchery.

Oh no.

I fell asleep reading to the egg. I sputtered, trying to explain to her why I was even close to it but I soon realized she wasn't looking at me. I turned around to see that the large egg was in pieces. In its place was a strange, shy, and confused hatchling. Mother slid down to her knees and started praying. I didn't understand and neither did the new born creature.

After a while, she stood and just silently left the room. I wanted to go after her and ask her what was wrong but I knew she wasn't in the mood. I doubt she would even tell me.

I turned to the little creature that was oddly small compared the egg it came out of. It made little squeaking noises that turned into happy chattering as I spoke softly to it.

"Hey there little one. I'm Ezelle. The one who reads you stories. You are a cute little guy.... Girl.... Hm.... I'm sure you must be hungry. Let's get you something to eat."

Edited By Mightymoose13 on 1/4/2019 at 4:06 AM.
Mightymoose13
Level 66
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 11/27/2018 at 8:49 PM Post #3
I decided to name the odd creature Oddball. It was an odd ghost-like creature with little balls of light circling it. It seemed to like this name because every time I said it, it floated over to me, ready for all and any kind of attention.

Any normal person, like mother, who knew what it was, would have reacted like mother did, but I didn't. I lived a pretty sheltered life. I only knew the basic dangers like Lupora's, egg stealing Draeyl, and majestic Faelora. I didn't know what a Morkko was or what Oddball was. I saw it as an innocent creature I saved from death.

After a day from being born, I attempted to give Oddball a bath. It flew around, dodging my attempts until I tossed some water at it. It slowly floated down into the basin like a dying flame then looked up at me from the bottom in confusion. It had hind legs. And I now knew, without a doubt, that Oddball was a boy. He walked around in a circle, inspecting his legs, then he started to chase his tail with a growl. It was cute. He eventually stopped after making himself dizzy.

"I guess you surprised yourself? Anyway, now that you're still, how about that bath?"

He looked back up at me and tilted his head. I then grabbed the bucket of water I had over a fire and poured the warm water inside, tossing in a bar of soap. These two actions caused some suds to form. Oddball looked at them curiously, then tried, and failed, to eat them. He definitely didn't like the taste. He liked to make them though. He splashed around, happily making bubbles. After the bath I realized I hadn't seen mother since Oddball hatched.

I'm used to her being gone but, she would usually tell me ahead of time. This was strange.

I sat up for hours, waiting for Mother. She wasn't in the house or on the farm. I did my chores, took care of the animals, and played with Oddball. Around late afternoon, as I was dozing off, Mrs. Luyie came. She told me that Mother had to go out of the village and asked her to watch me. Or at least check on me.

This was all strange.

First I find Oddball's egg. Then Farmer Amsterdam gets attacked by something called a Morkko, and now Mother left without telling me. I tried to push these thoughts out of my mind and just tried to see it as a regular day, but it came back with more and more force until it burst.

It was around dinner time, Mrs. Luyie had just finished making soup and told me about her daughter, Mia, who went off to a university in another region. She talked about the many creatures she saw and even sent pictures. I swallowed and broke another rule Mother had set up, don't ask questions about things I wasn't taught. Especially if it was through eavesdropping.

"Did she say anything about Morkko? What are they?"

"I-I have no idea what you're talking about dear. Such a strange name for a-"

"Don't play dumb! Mrs. Luyie I heard you mention it to Mother. Why did you say it? What is it? I'm old enough to know!"

"Sixteen is rather young deary. You must be mistaken. I never said that. Also it's quite rude to listen in on others conversation. I'm sure your Mother taught you that."

With a huff, she turned away from me and went back to fill our bowls when she jumped back with a frightened yelp. Oddball was eating the soup. She backed away and prayed the same way Mother did.

"A-A Ryori! Oh my!"

Ryori? I stood up. "What's a Ryori? Is that what Oddball is?"

At the sound of his name, he floated over to me and nuzzled my cheek. This made Mrs. Luyie back away more.

She swallowed and started to leave the house, never taking her eyes off of Oddball. "D-don't worry Ezelle. Everything will be alright. Your mother will handle this." Then she left.
Edited By Mightymoose13 on 1/4/2019 at 4:10 AM.
Mightymoose13
Level 66
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 11/27/2018 at 8:54 PM Post #4
Mother came back two days later. Her clothes were torn and she looked exhausted. I hugged her tightly and apologized for scaring Mrs. Luyie but no matter what I did, Oddball wouldn't stay hidden. She just smiled softly and pat my head then pet Oddball. She didn't tell me where she went or what was going on, just told me that all we had to do was feed the animals then stay inside and relax.

I felt that it was out of character for Mother to be so lax but I just let it go. I already broke so many rules since I found Oddball's egg. I didn't want to break any more.

Mother and I spent the day relaxing. She tensed up a bit whenever Oddball got close to her but other than that, the night was pretty uneventful. I hugged Mother good night then went to bed, suddenly feeling as tired as she looked. I barely made it up the stairs before I just passed out on the landing.

It was dark.

Too dark.

The only light source was the dim balls of light that circled Oddball even as he slept beside me. I called out to Mother as I sat up, trying to make sense of the odd darkness. Carefully I made my way down the stairs and felt around for a lantern. I didn't know how to use light magic yet. Thanks to memorizing the layout of the house, I was able to find the lantern and lit it. I gasped in horror.

Our little farmhouse was destroyed. There were claw marks and burn marks everywhere. The front door had been blown off its hindges and lay in pieces everywhere. Fear welled up inside of me as my search for Mother grew more frantic. Oddball slowly hovered beside me, rubbing his little onyx eyes. My search must've woke him up.

"Oddy f-find Mother."

I managed to say. He looked at me confused, still half asleep.

"Find Mother! Please Oddy find her!"

I was on the verge of tears. He cooed and nuzzled my cheek before disappearing into the darkness.

My search led me outside as I decided to search the barn. It was in the same condition as the house. The Qitari were running around in fear, many of them running off towards the village. I went inside, fighting back a whimper at the bodies of lifeless Qitari that had large slashes in their sides, results from a battle they obviously lost. A few lifeless females were in the back of the barn behind the males up front, they died protecting their young. A massive hole was blown in the side of the wall leading towards the field. I looked out of it, and saw a light.

Emotion overrode reason as I rushed over to the light that became a beam. I fell as something pulled the back of my shirt. I groaned and looked around when four dim balls of light rushed into my sights. Oddball let out a fearful chirp and nuzzled my face, letting me know that he wasn't trying to hurt me if he did. I pet him.

"Where's Mother?"

He shook his head and tried to pull me away from the field when a deep dark growl made both of us freeze. Two glowing blue eyes peeked out at us from the dark to our left. They rushed at us and on instinct I rolled out of the way, only receiving a scratch on my leg that burned as though I was being branded. I scooped up Oddball and ran towards the light that now became multiple lights that shot at their opposing source. As I got closer, I saw that one of the sources was indeed Mother. I called out to her, which caused her to get distracted.

"Ezelle what are you-"

A ball of lightning struck her shoulder. She cried put in pain and staggered back. She quickly raised her hand, large rocks shooting up out of the ground to create a protective wall just as I ran into her arms. I started to cry. All of the fear I had been feeling finally came out causing my crying to become sobs. Mother held me tightly and rubbed my back.

"Ezelle it's ok. I'm here. Everything is going to be ok."

"Mother what's happening? F-first I woke up and you weren't there and then I went to the barn and they were dead and I just just-"

I couldn't talk straight as I cried more. Our home was destroyed, our animals had either ran away or were dead, and Mother was hurt. Why couldn't this all just be a dream? A terrible terrible dream? Mother gently pushed me away and looked into my eyes.

"Ezelle listen to me, you have to leave. The village isn't safe anymore. They know about us."

"W-what? I don't-"

"Please just listen. Go to the village stable and take the all black Qitari with red hooves. His name is Dusk. He'll automatically take you to another village called Tanala. Find a man named Emor and he'll take you far away where they can't find you. Please Ezelle."

I didn't understand at all. Why wouldn't she explain? Before I could ask, she shook my shoulders. She was starting to cry.

"Honey please..... I can't lose you too.... I know this is scary and I don't have time to explain. I can handle three Morkkos. You're not strong enough."

"Morkkos? Mother what-"

This time I was interrupted by the sound of Mother's rock wall exploding. The things she had been fighting, Morkkos, had broken through. There were four. Mother had an unreadable expression on her face as she stood in front of me, shielding me.

"Ezelle..... I'm sorry...."
Edited By Mightymoose13 on 1/4/2019 at 4:18 AM.
Mightymoose13
Level 66
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 11/27/2018 at 8:59 PM Post #5
I don't know why I didn't run.... I wouldn't have had to watch Mother use so much of her magic futily as the four Morkko overpowered her and killed her. I held her as she fell, laying her down on the ground. I kept telling her I was sorry. I blamed myself. I held her tightly, trying to hold onto her fading warmth. The growls of her assailants got closer as they started to close in on me. Oddball hopped in front of me and let out a squeak, his attempt at being intimidating. He was quickly knocked out with an ice ball.

I tightened my hold on Mother as rage started to build up in me.

As the rage built, the balls of light around Oddball started to glow brighter, his body starting to float upwards before me.

They got closer.

"We were happy..... Quiet.... Didn't do anything to anyone.... Then you four came..... Disturbed the peace.... Destroyed our farm.... Killed my mother..... You took away everything......"

I raised my head to glare at them as my anger reached its peak. The balls of light were now four spinning little suns.

"EVERYTHING!"

I don't remember what happened.

I woke up next to Mother. It was late afternoon. It had started to snow. Oddball poked his head up from the snow with a soft chatter. He shook it off then walked over to me then looked at Mother. I looked over at her too.

This wasn't a dream.

She was really gone.

I looked back at the farm. It was really gone too.

I spent the next couple hours packing a bag with whatever I could; books, food, clothes, some herbs, and Mother's amulets. I then buried Mother next to Father, their graves were by the lake on the edge of our farm. I never met Father, but I'm sure he would have called me brave like Mother. Mother would say that I'm strong like Father. I cried and felt so alone. I would never again have mornings where Mother and I took care of the animals then have a nice breakfast that wouldn't have been much but it was nice either way. No more days of her teaching me magic or telling me what Father was like.

Fighting through the tears, I followed Mothers instructions. I silently went to the village stables and found the Qitari named Dusk. I rode by the villagers who once greeted me with warm smiles but now look at me with fear and uncertainty. Rode by the woods that I would sometimes sneak off to to practice my magic, and into a world I never knew.

Edited By Mightymoose13 on 1/4/2019 at 4:27 AM.
Mightymoose13
Level 66
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 11/27/2018 at 9:14 PM Post #6
Tanala was a much more lively village than Hanai. It was also bigger and was built right next to a large body of water. The ocean? I could smell the saltiness of it in the air. Oddball didn't seem to like it. He whimpered softly and gagged a few times. Dusk wasn't happy about that since he was laying across his back. He let out an annoyed whiny.

I was feeling slightly sick myself. I wasn't used to this kind of air. I missed the earthy smell of the farm and the silence of the village. This place had so many people. There were more people in one shop than there were in Hanai altogether. It was a bit overwhelming.

As we approached the street, we saw a huge fancy Lupora with bows adorning its swirly silver fur. Oddball sat up a bit and sniffed it. It sniffed back and nudged him curiously. Oddball smiled and floated around the Lupora before settling back down on Dusk's back. The Qitari weaved through the crowds fluidly and took us to the outskirts of town to an old shack. A man sat on a chair in front of the shack. He seemed to be asleep. He opened his eyes at the sound of Dusk's hooves getting close until he whinied when he came to a stop.

The man looked me up and down then shook his head with a sad sigh.

"Come on in...."

Emor was a large, gruff man that looked to be around Mother's age, maybe a little older, so about mid to late thirties. He acted like he was older. He moved slow, talked as gruff as he looked. He always wore a worn straw hat, green overalls over a black shirt, and clunky boots. He kind of reminded me of a fisherman but from where he lived, he wanted to be as far from the water as possible.

It was silent between us.

He had made me some soup and told me I could have his bed since he didn't sleep much anyway. He kept eyeing Oddball with an unreadable expression. Oddball didn't seem to care. He floated around, exploring our new surroundings. He looked in one of the rooms and chirped. He was looking for Mother. I immediately lost my appetite and tried not to break down into another fit of sobs.

"Oddy.... Remember when..... When we put Mother in the ground? That means she died.... Was dead.... She's not coming... No matter how much I wish she would...."

Emor let out a deep sigh that startled me enough to look up at him.

"So it is true.... I had a feeling but I also assumed she would be coming back..... Alright then."

He stood up, his joints making loud pops as he did so.

"Finish and we'll start your training."

"T-training? What training? Mother didn't say anything about training? And what kind of training?"

Instead of answering, he shook his head and mumbled something under his breath. I was tired of people hiding stuff from me. I just wanted to know what was going on and for someone to tell me for once.

"Later. Training first, information second."

No matter how many times I attempted to put my foot down and try to get answers, Emor wouldn't answer me. When I said I wouldn't follow him, he just shrugged and went to sleep. When I said I would leave, his response was "good luck and watch out for nightmare Lupora". Eventually I gave up and followed him on a long hike to a field that gave a full view of Tanala.

It was beautiful. The ships in the harbor gently swayed, the sails softly billowing in the wind. The people looked like ants as they went about their business, Qitari drawn carriages moving about lazily.

"Wow."

Oddball was looking at it too. He looked at me then back at the village.

"Hey, let's get started. You'll have plenty of time to sight see later."

Emor called out to me. Just as I turned to respond, a fireball just barely hit me had I not moved out the way with a wince. The heat was intense and so was the wound on my leg. I looked up at him.

"What is wrong with you?! That could have killed me! Can't you just you know, do one for beginners?"

"That was a beginner level attack."

I blinked and looked away.

"Whatever"
Edited By Mightymoose13 on 1/4/2019 at 5:48 AM.
Mightymoose13
Level 66
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 11/27/2018 at 9:20 PM Post #7
He stood with his hands at his side's just watching me. I didn't know what to do. I assumed he was going to throw another fireball at me so I got into the fighting stance Mother taught me and tried to prepare myself.

I wasn't prepared at all.

He launched a flurry of attacks, fireballs, ice balls, lightning balls, boulders, and many others. All I could do was run away from them which was good at first until the pain from my wound stopped me. That split second break was enough to get me hit by fire and ice, ending with a boulder knocking me into a tree. I groaned as my body screamed out in agony at me. Dark spots danced before my eyes as I teetered in and out of consciousness. Oddball was screeching in protest and charged at Emor, only to be knocked out with a small fireball from something behind Emor. I couldn't see.

"Definitely need more training."

Was the last thing I heard Emor say before I passed out.

It was nighttime. I was sitting at the table in my little dress that Mommy made me. The Lupora puppy daddy got me hopped up on the chair beside me and gave me kisses. He was pretty. I looked up at Mommy and held my arms open ready for a hug. With her pretty smile, she picked me up and gave me a big hug. I played with her long platnium hair then her shiny necklace.

"Mommy, when is daddy coming home?"

"Soon sweety, soon."

I turned as I heard the door open. I smiled and hopped out of Mommy's arms and ran to the door.

"Daddy! You're home! You're home!"

He picked me up. He smelled like the sea. I like that smell. I wanna go to the sea with Daddy and be a Water Mage just like him!

"Hey sweetie. I brought you something. Its very special and I want you to have it ok-"

Now everything is on fire. Mommy is bleeding on her head, is she Ok? I need to help her, she's stuck under the table. Where did daddy go?

"Ezelle hide!"

But she's stuck.

"I'll be fine! Sweetie please just hide and don't come out for anything ok?"

I nod. I go to Mommy and Daddy's room. The fire is scary and hot but I'm a big girl and nothing will scare me! I hide in the wardrobe, where Mommy and Daddy said I would always be safe. Its quiet and I don't like it. Its dark too. But Mommy said to hide so I stay. I hear Daddy yelling and he sounds hurt but Mommy said I can't come out. She won't know I peeked right? I open the door and see Daddy using his magic on a weird animal. He's hurt. He yells again and is now covered in red fire. He fights the animal but three more come.

"DADDY NO!"

"NO!"

I shoot up out of my sleep and look around. I'm back at Emor's shack, lying in bed with Oddball beside me. We're both bandaged up. Panting, I look around more until I slowly relax and lay back down. What was that dream anyway? The longer I stay in bed the less I remember it..... I know Mother was in it but that's all I could muster. Why was her hair a different color? I groan and sit back up then leave the room. Emor is in the kitchen sitting with his hands over a bucket. He was peeling potatoes.

"Aye." He greets lowly.

"You tried to kill me."

He answers without even looking up. "If I wanted to kill you I would've done it as soon as you entered the city. I was asked to take care of you so I am."

I frowned. This wasn't funny.

"But I could've died!"

"But you didn't."
Edited By Mightymoose13 on 1/9/2019 at 4:00 AM.
Mightymoose13
Level 66
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 11/27/2018 at 9:40 PM Post #8
Before I could retaliate, he gave me the same "shut up" look that Mother used to give me. He then half-heartedly waved at the potatoes.

"Get to peeling or you won't be eating breakfast. It may be my job to take care of you but you're also old enough to take care of yourself."

With a sigh I do as I'm told, not really in any position to argue. As we're peeling, a large ghostly mist floated around us then settled in the middle of the room, slowly clumping together to create a creature I had never seen before. It looked just as old and gruff as Emor but also just as dangerous. It slowly made its way over to us, it's fur a strange sunset color with bright blue rippling runes along its body. Light purple Crystals, or at least I think they were crystals, wrapped around its paws, the end of its tail, around its neck, and peppered it's body like stars. The mist it entered the room with settled on its back until it came together and revealed silver metallic wings that connected to a helmet on its head. It paid me no mind and went straight to Emor, nudging his hand for a petting.

(I tried my best like heck)

"This is Opal, she's a Qhostly Sunset Lighira. Very rare and very powerful. Also very affectionate."

She nudged his hand more, wanting him to pet her more. Eventually he gave in, put down his potato and knife, then proceeded to pet her head with both hands, gently smoothing down her ears, then moved them down to her neck and chin. She closed her eyes contently and let out deep rumbling growls.

"She's purring."

Emor explained. After a while, Opal laid on her back then batted at the old man's legs. He sighed and knelt down beside her then began to run her belly. Her purring got louder and she looked to be falling asleep. Emor, tired from all the petting, sat back down in his seat and went back to peeling potatoes. Opal rolled onto her side and fell asleep.

I couldn't stop staring at her. She was so beautiful. I had never seen anything like her, not even with her colors or features.

"She's been with me for a long time, since the beginning I guess..... I wouldn't be here if it weren't for her.... Neither would you...."

I tilted my head, wondering what he meant. He just went back to peeling.

"Hey, what's that supposed to mean? Why wouldn't I be here? Why would you start then not finish?"

"Just reminiscing."

"God adults are so cryptic and annoying!"

"Likewise."
Edited By Mightymoose13 on 1/9/2019 at 4:02 AM.
Mightymoose13
Level 66
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 11/27/2018 at 9:42 PM Post #9
The time spent peeling potatoes and Emor making breakfast was silent. I decided to go check on Oddball but he was already awake and had set his sights on Opal. He floated over to her, getting really close to her face. When she opened her eyes, he backed away then got close again. She let out a slightly annoyed sighed and half heartedly swiped at him.

I watched the two interact.

Oddball stopped floating and sat in front of her. He then moved closer until their noses were touching. Opal suddenly grabbed him and just held him, grooming him a little. He blinked in confusion then closed his eyes contentedly. It was an anticlimactic interaction but it was cute nonetheless.

"Food is done. Eat then we'll get back to training."

"You mean you throw death spells at me while I sit there and take it."

"You're not dead so you shouldn't be complaining. Besides, what I do as training is nothing compared to what will happen if you aren't prepared. And before you ask, remember the deal, you train, I speak."

I keep my mouth shut and eat quietly. Breakfast was pretty good despite just being fried potatoes. Afterwards, Oddball and I follow Emor and Opal back to the training area. We started as soon as we got there.

Emor immediately began to blast fireballs at us. Oddball shot back a tiny fireball of his own which as expected, didn't go far or do much. Opal seemed to smirk at this and got down in a position that looked like she was about to jump and attack us. Instead, her wings opened up and started to glow as the morning sun hit them. She then opened her mouth, sending a beam of fire at Oddball. Without thinking, I grabbed him and rolled out of the way.

"Good, but not good enough."

Before I knew it, we were back to where we were yesterday, flat on the ground and in pain. Though this time it wasn't as bad. I was still conscious at least. Emor and Opal helped us up, Oddball ended up resting on the Lighira's back.

"A Necromage."

"Oh gee, that tells me a whole lot! Now I can see the future."

The old man rolled his eyes. "You didn't let me finish. Anyway, a Necromage is a mage with Necromancer capabilities but they aren't Necromancer's. The first way of knowing that you're one is if you successfully hatch a Ryori and aren't effected by their life draining energy."

I was honestly confused. How could something like Oddball kill things? I stated this.

"Ryori are creatures of the Dead. They tend to slowly drain the energy from living things around them unintentionally. The energy is stored in the orbs that float around them. They are highly useful to Necromancers but serve only death itself. At least that's the story. How they end up with non-Necromancers is slightly complicated."

"Complicated how?"

"You see, sometimes a person is born with an Ashen Soul, a soul not cometely..... Whole. Your father had one and so do you. Since the soul isn't complete, the person or creature isn't effected by the presence of a Ryori."

"You're not effected?"

"Its possible to build a resistance to it, or at least be powerful enough to dampen the effects."

I thought about that for a moment. "Which one are you?"

"I'll leave that up to you to figure out. Anyway, that's all I have to say until our next training session."

He nods and heads back to the shack.
Edited By Mightymoose13 on 1/9/2019 at 4:06 AM.
Mightymoose13
Level 66
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 12/2/2018 at 12:19 AM Post #10
I didn't follow him. I wanted to explore Tanala since it was going to be my new home before we left. It was a pretty long walk, about an hour, the path I took leading me to the docks where the majestic boats I saw from afar were a whole lot bigger and beautiful up close. Oddball looked up at them as well, just as awed.

"I wonder if we'll sail on one when we leave...."

Slowly I touched the side of each ship, feeling what they were made of and marveling at the marksmanship of them. Some were made from strong, beautiful trees whose sleekness even showed on the boards themselves. Others were made with metal, magic, and a material known as Sylestine. It was amazing.

The Sylestine.

I had only read about it and Mother said it was near impossible to find and craft yet here it was in all of its golden glory. Thick purple ribbons adorned it's sides, a few cascading down to the surface of the water. The magic raging through it flowed into my hand. It was warm and just felt right. Everything around me started to fade into a nice, soothing light. I felt so relaxed. Like me and this light were one in the same. I belonged to it.

Suddenly everything came back to me. I coughed and tried to pull air into my lungs. When did I stop breathing? What just happened? Wasn't I just standing by the ship? Now I'm on the ground with Oddball frantically nudging me then rubbing the arm that was on the ship. I raise it, attempting to pet him to let him know that I was ok but my arm wasn't there!

Just barely.

It was as transparent as the water. I screamed in fear and backed away as if I could escape my own faded limb. My screams attracted a couple men in white and gold uniforms. They were holding muskets I believe. They saw my arm then immediately tossed a blanket over me, pulled me to my feet, then nearly dragged me onto the ship. Oddball had disappeared. Everything was happening so fast.
Edited By Mightymoose13 on 1/9/2019 at 4:08 AM.
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.013 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.