Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Egvb
Level 60
The Jolly
Threads: 1
Posted: 9/28/2013 at 8:42 PM Post #1
Hello everyone,

A (relative) newbie here with an advanced genetics question.

I started two breeding projects some time ago, one of which is my gold-scaled Qitari project. My goal is to get a gold-scaled Qitari with Pegasus wings, a unicorn horn, mane highlights, and zebra stripes. I have one female named Estelle:

who, as you can see, shows Pegasus wings. I also have a male named Douglas:

who carries Pegasus wings. If the genetics of this game are like real-life Mendellian genetics (which I believe is the case), their offspring:

should show Pegasus wings half the time and carry Pegasus wings half the time. Meaning, if I were to test breed the offspring back to their parents in the test breeder, even carriers should produce Pegasus wings in the test offspring half the time. The problem is, they never do. When I tried to test breed their hatchling they had a while ago back to Estelle, none of the potential offspring had Pegasus wings. It's as if their hatchling, which should logically have at least one copy of the gene, doesn't have it. What is going on?

Thanks!
Egvb
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,119
Posted: 9/28/2013 at 8:53 PM Post #2
@Egvb,

That is correct. If the mother shows Pegasus Wings and the father carries Pegasus Wings, then there is a 50% chance that the offspring will show Pegasus Wings, else it will carry Pegasus Wings.

With the offspring you linked, there's two things. First is that he is still a Hatchling. Hatchlings can't show Mutations. So it's possible that when he grows up he will show Pegasus Wings.

The second is that he is not tested. So even if he carries Pegasus Wings, you won't know unless you get him tested w/ a Genetic Testing Kit.

Does that answer your question?
Egvb
Level 60
The Jolly
Posted: 9/28/2013 at 9:15 PM Post #3
Krinadon,

Thank you for responding so quickly.

I'm having the same problem with Jair:

who is an adult male. He is another one of Estelle's hatchlings by a different father who, to the best of my knowledge, does not carry Pegasus wings. Jair should be a carrier, but, when test bred back to his mother, does not produce Pegasus wings either.

It could be that neither of them are tested, but that leaves me wondering why it has an effect on the test-breeding generator. If he technically has the gene, shouldn't it show up in his test-offspring even if he isn't tested?

Thanks!
Egvb
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,119
Posted: 9/28/2013 at 9:20 PM Post #4
@Egvb,

In theory, you would think that. But coding wise, that'd be quite mammoth to code. So the simpler way was to just make all captured and bred pets default to untested where carried traits are hidden until tested.

If they were tested, they should show the proper traits. Additionally, if they were to breed, tested or not, they'll pass on the traits as intended. So in your examples, you can be assured that the offspring at least carry Pegasus Wings since their mother has visible Pegasus Wings.
Egvb
Level 60
The Jolly
Posted: 9/28/2013 at 9:33 PM Post #5
Krinadon,

Thanks for your help. I can't blame you for not wanting to do a mammoth coding job like that. :-)

Egvb

This Page loaded in 0.008 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.