Forum Index > Artwork Gallery > Drawing Tablets
Page 1 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Minikin
Level 70
Trickster
Threads: 95
Posted: 5/13/2018 at 10:32 PM Post #1
Thinking about getting a drawing tablet. What kinds do people use on here? I want one that's not too expensive but has a decent sized screen.

Also, what programs do you use? I know photoshop is probably the most popular
Mxnoodle
Level 75
Trickster
Threads: 2
Posted: 5/19/2018 at 8:34 AM Post #2
Most drawing tablets with screens are going to be fairly expensive. I use a Huion H610 Pro. It doesn't have a screen, but it was about $60 or $70 when it was bought. That's on the cheaper end of the spectrum. It would do good to research drawing tablets and look at reviews. If something is bothering someone else, would you be okay with it? Would you not be okay with it? Look at the aspects of the product listed and see what you like or don't like about it. Check Amazon because the prices will usually be lower there. Remember, high-end tools don't always make your art better! ^^
Minikin
Level 70
Trickster
Posted: 5/19/2018 at 12:34 PM Post #3
Thats very helpful. Thanks!
Mxnoodle
Level 75
Trickster
Posted: 5/22/2018 at 2:54 PM Post #4
No problem! :3
Shouruu
Level 61
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 7/17/2018 at 8:23 PM Post #5
I've personally never had a drawing tablet with a screen, so I have no idea if it functions more like a computer, or a tablet. I would expect more like that of a tablet, but once again, never tried it..

Though, if you want to go the free route when it comes to art programs, I personally say that Medibang is a pretty good program. It looks like it could work on tablets, too. Even phones. There are multiple different versions of it, each meant more for a different type of career type thing. (Comics, or free drawing.) Though the basic program, which I have, still includes some comic templates. So.. be sure to explore the site if you decide to look into it.
One thing that's nice about it is that it has a built-in media type thing. You can upload drawings and comic pieces straight from the program. (Provided you make an account. Which isn't required.) There are also some brushes that are built in, that when you open an interface to get to them, you can download them onto your program and start using them without having to fight with setting it up.

Sorry if I am a bit rambly. Not that great at writing huge texts. c:
Minikin
Level 70
Trickster
Posted: 7/17/2018 at 8:39 PM Post #6
Ah thanks! I may have to check it out!

I've been using Krita a bit but I'm undecided if I like it. But its free and it works for what I need I guess
Shouruu
Level 61
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 7/17/2018 at 9:43 PM Post #7
Ahh.. if you like the tools interface then I recommend a free version of Sai. I personally can't handle that stuff, but my friend LOVES Sai. Though, a free version of Sai means you need to carefully choose a website that holds an old version of it..

By the way, just to throw it out there.. If you have a Best Buy near you, if I am correct, you can get a Wacom tablet. I remember getting this huge-ish green box from them. It is 100$, but it comes with some free programs, pencil nub replacements, and some pen accessories. Last I checked, it may be blue with a drawing of a girl on the front.
I'm sure you can find it online. I have the basic arse Wacom tablet.
This one.
Here is also the official Wacom site. There are a few versions of what you mentioned. (Tablet with a screen and pen.) c:

Here, just to show you if you can't find any pictures online, is what you'll see using Mediband. It's pretty changeable and moveable. c:
(Point out anything you want to look at, and I'll be happy to show you!)

**Edit- They have a Wacom clipboard.. what is this.. * dies of laughter and places it on stuff to buy list *
Edited By Shouruu on 7/17/2018 at 9:45 PM.
Minikin
Level 70
Trickster
Posted: 7/17/2018 at 9:49 PM Post #8
Thank you! That's all very helpful. I have a lot of things to decide on. I will definitely let you know how it all turns out, though it will probably be a few weeks before I actually make up my mind on a tablet. But Mediband is intriguing, I may just download it to test it out :)
Shouruu
Level 61
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 7/17/2018 at 9:53 PM Post #9
No problem! Please do! And that's understandable. Good luck!
Danisweird
Level 75
The Perfectionist
Threads: 12
Posted: 7/18/2018 at 12:42 AM Post #10
I know a free art program that's very good. It's called Firealpaca. I'd recommend getting it from the official site if you do decide to get it because other unofficial websites often pirate the downloads and put viruses on your computer. I personally use it a lot, and I find it great. I believe you can upload custom brush textures and such, and you can use the clipping tool on a layer above your line art to effectively change the color of the lines. It also has a stabilizer tool at the top which makes brush strokes smoother, which is great for line art, and for drawing with a mouse if you haven't decided on a tablet yet.

There are also plenty of illustration programs available on Steam, though you need a Steam account and most of them require purchase. Here's a link to a few of the art and design softwares they offer, along with the prices, I'd say Krita Gemini would be the best paid choice. Otherwise, I just find it fun online window shopping. Haha.

openCanvas 7 ($59.99USD)
openCanvas 6 ($49.99USD)
Black Ink (Free Demo; Full $59.99USD)
mdiapp+ SE ($59.99USD)
Krita Gemini ($9.99USD)
JugiPaint ($29.99USD)

The tablet I use is a Wacom tablet. The brand is well-known and have some good quality tablets. I believe they also sell Cintiqs, which are super expensive but well worth it for a smaller build if you make digital art for a living but also use traditional techniques. You can find the Wacom website here.

Otherwise, I would recommend Huion which you can find the website for here.

Good luck with your search! I hope you find what works best for you. :)
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.010 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.