Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Other Fiction > Lost
Page 1 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Klu
Level 48
Threads: 2
Posted: 2/25/2018 at 1:08 AM Post #1
Feel like posting something kinda scary. Here ya go. If people enjoy it I will probably continue. Am also open to suggestions on where you would like the story to go!

I wish I had died in my sleep. It's something I think every time I open my eyes and see the sun. I thought the same thing now with extra vehemence, especially as the hunger pains in my stomach woke me up in the middle of the night. Its a wonder I even managed to fall asleep on the cold hard ground, curled up against the base of an old live oak tree. My body ached when I tried to stand and I resisted the urge to vocalize my discomfort. Last time I had used my voice was to call out when I realized I had gotten separated from the hiking group, and in doing so I had attracted the attention of a large bear. The damned beast chased me into a river, and I was swept who knows how far down stream before I managed to get out. I may have been out here for nearly three days now but I still haven't managed to shake the nagging feeling something is watching me. Sometimes I think I catch sight of it out of the corner of my eye, but it disappears as soon as I turn to see it. Some part of me knows I could be hallucinating. A combination of dehydration, hunger, and sleep deprivation can do that to a person, but another part of me hears the calls of the mountain lions in heat, sees the dropping of a bear and considers the very real possibility a predator is keeping track of me, knowing there is an easy meal ready and waiting should they be unsuccessful while hunting.
I hear scuttling of small creatures in the bushes surrounding me and decide it would be best if I got myself off the ground for the remainder of the night. It's a bit of a struggle to climb this old live oak in the dark, but I manage to do so and find an acceptably comfortable place in the recess where a thick limb meets the trunk and settle down, listening to the unfamiliar sounds of the forest around me.

It had taken me most of the day but I did it, I created fire. I came to a resolution last night that I would do everything I could to survive, out of sheer pride alone. I danced around it in joy, screamed loudly to the sky, and fed it vigorously. I may hate living, but I'd be damned if I went down without honest effort. My fire, my salvation I had nurtured from the tiniest spark was large, swelteringly hot, and burned nearly as tall as me now. I danced around it in joy, screamed loudly to the sky, and fed it vigorously. My hands are a shredded mess, raw and swollen from the effort of rubbing the sticks together for hours but with this fire, I am safe. As long as I keep it well fed, it will deter most things in the forest, and at night I will no longer suffer the cold. I gathered large boughs of wood and begin making a lean-to, securing them with some plant fiber cord I wove a day ago. My shelter isn't pretty, or that sturdy when I am through, but it's certainly better than sleeping in a tree. I gathered dried grasses and made thatch to seal the lean-to so it better traps the heat from the fire, and grabbed some fresh soft grass to make a bed as well. The sun sets low in the sky now, and I feel satisfied, but exhausted. I throw some extra wood on the fire and settle down in my make-shift home. I eat the last of my berries and mushrooms and lie down to sleep.

I woke up suddenly. Sensing something is terribly wrong. My heart is beating hard and slow, and my I feel like a weight is on my chest. I don't dare move. The fire has died down a bit, and I see a large, human-like figure squatted down with its forearms draped over its knees. Two large horns protrude from its forehead and curl behind its head, fitting closely to the skull. It wears no clothing but seemed to be covered in an armor like skin with thick plates and sharp ridges. The side profile of its face looked human but its eyes were textured like a reptiles. I watched it slowly move its fingers, making its talons click softly as it did so. It seemed focused on the fire, like it was lost in thought. I took slow breathes and hoped whatever it was it didn't want to hurt me, or was just not interested in me. Its eyes flicked to me and I lay there frozen, mind blank. It turned its face towards me and pulled its lips back from its teeth, releasing a quite, deep growl. It began to slowly rise and I panicked, jumping up from my bed and knocking down my lean-to as I did. I felt a sudden force on on my side and found myself sliding to a stop, the dirt and roots tearing painfully into my body. I tried to scramble to my feet only to have the creature slam me to the ground once again. Its teeth flashed across my vision and I stilled. Its eyes were nearly black and its mouth was open wide, revealing a mouth full of serrated shark like teeth. I watched as its eyes rolled into the back of its head, flashing white before it sunk its head closer to my neck. I screamed and brought my knee up, landing a blow in it crotch area. I felt the flesh give and the creature quickly picked its head back up, eyes rolling back into proper position. I felt foolish when it sneered at me, and I watched its eyes roll back once more before it rammed its forehead into mine.
Pinkypandaz
Level 61
The Sweet Tooth
Threads: 3
Posted: 2/27/2018 at 10:53 AM Post #2
Creepy! I rather like it! I hope you will continue, I think it is so cool.
Pinkypandaz
Level 61
The Sweet Tooth
Posted: 2/27/2018 at 10:54 AM Post #3
Sorry, forgot to ping you.
Ravengard
Level 32
Threads: 30
Posted: 2/27/2018 at 5:36 PM Post #4
Keep writing!!!!!!! I must know what happens next!
Eevee17
Level 51
The Sweet Tooth
Threads: 26
Posted: 2/27/2018 at 6:01 PM Post #5
i can't stand the suspense!!! continue, i hate it when a book ends a chapter and leaves you in suspense.
Klu
Level 48
Posted: 2/27/2018 at 11:04 PM Post #6
I opened my eyes and immediately rolled over and vomited. My skull felt like it had been spit in two, and my stomach rolled with waves of nausea. I sat up and my already fuzzy vision faded away into spots and the pain spiked. I releasing a strangled sob and reached up to cradle my head, trying to preserver through the pain. I felt the swollen lumps on my forehead and felt the dried, flaky blood coating my face and chest. Just trying to remember why I was in this state was a painful process, and my memories came in broken, distorted clips. I remembered seeing a creature stare into the fire, and the image of its terrible maw and its reptilian eyes flashing white as they rolled into the back of its skull. I sobbed once more, wishing I had died in my sleep, but realizing that since I had not a far worse fate could lie in store.

I had to get moving. Now.

The pain and nausea had ebbed, and my vision, while still fuzzy had cleared substantially. I could see that I was in a small cave, dimly lit cave. A putrid carcasses were piled in a nook of the cave, and animal skins were piled up in what appeared to be a bed. The smell was a constant since I woke, but knowing the source amplified the effects, and my stomach rolled once more. I swallowed the bile in my throat and crawled towards the wall of the cave, using it to drag myself into standing position. There was a small, blindingly bright hole opposite of the carcasses and bed. I assumed it was the entrance and began to move shakily towards it, occasionally having to pick myself back up when my legs gave way.

I knew I had a concussion, and a pretty bad one at that, but I wanted to get out of here before that thing came back. Making it back into the forest and dying from swelling in my brain was better than being potentially consumed alive. I made it to the entrance, shutting my eyes tight against the light and reveling in the cool, clean breeze coming through. I grabbed the lip and carefully stepped over, placing my palm against my head to protect it from further injury. I slid down and rested my back against the cool stone, letting the wind pull at me for awhile before I opened my eyes. The light was painful but I forced myself to look out. The sight that greeted me was a picturesque mountain valley, complete with a large lake and a heard of elk grazing near.

Except that I was looking over the valley from a cliff, several hundred feet from the ground.

My heart thrummed in my chest, and I forced down a strong feeling of finality and helplessness. Surely the creature didn't climb all they way up the mountainside with a load on its back. The cave is dark, and I probably missed a passageway leading deeper into the mountain. The fresh air did wonders for my nausea, but the pain and weakness were still present. But it was an improvement, and I steeled myself before rising and looking into the black entrance of the cave. I moved myself inside quickly and kept moving deeper before letting my eyes adjust. I had wasted enough time as it is, I had no idea where the creature was, and wasn't looking forward to another encounter. I moved towards the nook with piled carcasses and saw that it did indeed go deeper, but how far I wasn't sure. Taking a chance I stepped through the piles, ignoring the slide of decayed flesh against my legs and placed my hands against one side of the passage. The passage continued on and on, and in the pitch black I had no sense of direction and a near constant state of mild panic, but I continued on. Several times I thought I saw light, but realized it was just floaters in my eyes. When I actually saw light I almost disregarded it, until it persisted for several minutes. I thin stream of light trickled down from high up, and I reached towards it with shaky, battered hands. I was exhausted and sat down, trying to touch the light as if were a tangible thing. I moved my face from the light and looked around me, seeing what must of been a couple dozen streams of light from above. I used the streams of light to determine an outline of the area around me. It appeared to be a large chamber, and I could finally hear something other than the shuffle of my feet, my breathing, and noised hallucinated because of my paranoia. Drips of water echoed around me, hints of green shimmered in the light, and the air felt heavy with humidity. The stone at my feet was wet and I could feel the occasional slick patch of algae beneath my boots as I walked. A stone covered in growth and bathed in sunlight beckoned me and my exhausted, battered body. I moved to it, resting my back against in near the light, but not quite in it. I looked out into the chamber, watching the light stream down and listening to the white noise of the cave and felt drowsy. A smirk quirked my lips at the thought sleeping here and never waking up. It was a serene place, and I was at ease regardless of my situation.

So at ease I nearly missed the flicker of the light as a something moved through it.

Soft clicking sounds met my ears, much like the clicking sounds of the creatures nails as it watched the fire. I held my breath and dared not move, watching the shape distort beams of light as it passed through them. It stopped suddenly and let out a loud whuff of air. I saw it turn and its face was highlighted by a beam of light, revealing a blue shimmer on the skin of its human like face. Its eyes were wide and its opened its mouth slightly and inhaled deeply. Its eyes slowly moved around the cave and its mouth turned into a wide grin before it slipped back into the darkness. Panic nearly took me and I jolted slightly, wanting to jump up in run. I resisted the urge and stood slowly, careful to move away from the light as I did. My heart flopped in my chest like a wet sponge, and the small breaths I forced myself to take made me feel like I was suffocating. My stomach surged once again and my head swam, and I prayed to whoever was listening that I would hold myself together. I moved as quietly as possible, picking my feet up high and testing each foothold carefully before placing weight there. The occasional whuff from the creature echoed around me and I wasn't able to determine where it was, so I moved blindly, keeping to the darkest parts of the chamber.

I felt something brush faintly against my arm and froze. I turned my head to look and couldn't see anything near. Something pricked the back of my neck and swiped down softly, and quickly. I screamed and swung my fist behind me. A scratchy chuckle like sound emanated from the darkness next to me, and I was shoved to the ground, landing hard on my elbow. I kicked out and raked the air with my hand but struck only air. My breath came out in ragged gasp as I laid there, swiveling my head left and right, looking for signs of movement. Another chuckle like sound echoed around the cave, and a sick realization dawned on me. This creature wasn't just an animal. It was intelligent. It was playing with me, and death was likely to be very slow for me. Hopelessness and rage overwhelmed me. I stood slowly, titled my head to the ceiling and screamed, a loud, guttural scream that I brought to a sharp end. The creature responded with a slow deep growl of its own. I've tried running, hiding, and if your going to die anyway, you might as well fight.

I dropped to my knees and felt around for something solid. Grasping a stone the size of a mans fist I stood and walked further into the chamber. Screaming at the creature to come at me. Its feet slapped against the stone and the light flickered as it passed through them. It was running circles around me, getting closer with each revolution. I suspected it would hit me from behind and tried my best to keep track of it. I heard it close and swung the stone out, correcting my trajectory when I saw its form. The rock struck something solid and was flung from my hand, and the creatures body slammed into my own. I hit the ground and the creature landed next to me, letting out a high pitched screech and rolling onto its knees, its clawed hand clutching its eye. I lurched to my feet and kicked my foot out, swinging the toe of my boot towards its face. When it connected the creature fell to its side and I stomped its head. It covered its face with its forearms and its horns did well enough to protect the rest, so I focused on its ribcage. I stomped several times, earning a wheeze or screech from it each time. I was caught off balance when it reached out and grasped my ankle, making me fall to my rear. I kept kicking but the creature threw itself on top of me, pinning me down and rolling me over onto my stomach before I could stop it. I felt the spikes on its skin dig into mine as it grasped me by the waist and lifted me high before slamming me down onto my side. All the air in my lungs left in a rush and I was left choking on the ground, unable to move. The creature made chittering noised and snapped its teeth, walking circles around my prone from before reaching down and grabbing me and tossing me over its shoulder. Pinning my thighs down with its arm, and digging its claws in. My face flushed with heat from being upside down and the thick pads of the creatures shoulder dug into my ribs painfully. Each breath was hard fought for and my vision began to sparkle with stars. I gave one last effort of resistance by weakly reaching up to pull hair hanging down by the creatures horns before passing out.
Klu
Level 48
Posted: 2/27/2018 at 11:08 PM Post #7
Updated!
Ravengard
Level 32
Threads: 30
Posted: 2/28/2018 at 9:49 AM Post #8
Its great!
Pinkypandaz
Level 61
The Sweet Tooth
Posted: 2/28/2018 at 11:18 AM Post #9
Wow! A wonderful continuation. I cannot wait to find out what happens next!
Eevee17
Level 51
The Sweet Tooth
Threads: 26
Posted: 3/3/2018 at 11:26 AM Post #10
stop leaving me in suspense! this is way better than any book i have ever read!
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.