Forum Index > Find Roleplayers > Scavengers
Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Watercolors
Level 74
The Artistic
Threads: 132
Posted: 2/22/2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1
Hey guys! So a long while back I started writing a story called "Scavengers" but it hit a block. I think it would make a really good role play, though!

Here is the summary:

It is a long time into the future. Earth has been lived out and it's resources used up. It has become a dust bowl of infertile soil and crumbling buildings, but technology is extremely advanced. About 75% of the population boarded a huge space ship that would dock at a new planet (let's pretend there's more earths out there) and start life over again there. The ship is capable of sustaining life, they brought a surplus of food and water as well.
The remaining 25% of the population were those who could not fit on the ship. Some of them, mostly family members of the boarders, were given a few special tools. Wrist bands, batteries, and teleport capsules. The wrist bands are special devices that can summon monsters from another realm to be trained and aid in battle. The teleport capsules can transmit food, water, and the occasional supplies to earth for the people to eat. The batteries power both these devices, but can only be charged at the generators.
Generators are big, high demand structures full of high tech energy. They were left with an energy capacity capable of providing for the next 50 years. At this point in the story, the generators only have about 2 years of energy left. When it runs out, the people on earth will starve.

Here is the catch, not everybody got a battery when the ship took off. Less than have the remainders were given supplies, the rest were completely abandoned to starve. These people became "scavengers." Naturally, everyone wanted the supplies, or they'd die. The scavengers resulted to stealing, killing, and other crimes as means to survive. Some of them who obtained supplies started their own small groups to stay alive. Others went crazy and took to cannibalism. Still, others starved to death as fate would have it.
As a result, scavengers began to lurk in areas where generators were built. They wait for someone to come charge a battery, then they ambush in attempt to take it. As a protection to this, the chosen people can summon a companion with their wrist band to protect them.

Summoning companions takes a lot of power. At times, a family must choose between protection and resources. If you can't get a full charge on your battery before getting attacked and choose to bring out a monster you have even less battery to get food and water.
Lastly, some people are starting to think the ship is never coming back. This is driving them mad and causing them to be very hostile. Some scavengers are more like monsters themselves than the people they once were.

And here is a clip from my original story:

I turn sharply behind the Roger Rook Hall building, churning up as much dust as I can before throwing the rover into park. Then, quickly slipping the battery into my pocket, I pull the keys from the ignition, jump over the door, and bolt. Wind whips around my face so I have to hold my scarf over my mouth with one hand and secure the battery with the other as I make my way toward the nearest generator. I skid to a stop as soon as I reach it, bending my knees to slide under the structure which is raised about two feet from the ground.
For a moment I pause to breathe, watching the outside world from beneath the powerport. From the combined efforts of the draining sun, scorched dust-bowl earth, and electric heat being expelled from the generator and onto my body which is hidden beneath layers of thick cloth, the air is stained of sweat. Panting, I fish the battery from my pocket and slip it into the slot which is pulsing with red light. A low hum starts up and I watch the short bar marking stored energy slowly grow.
Despite the smothering heat I feel cold chills begin to sneak down my spine. It is rare that we can ever get this battery back half full, the others will be here any minute. My eyes freeze on that green bar, more, just a little more I hold my breath, sensing the presence. Whipping my head sideways and smacking my cheek against the cement I lock eyes with a grimacing scavenger. I grab the battery and quickly rip it from the charge port, shoving it into my pocket. It is scalding hot but I keep a hold on it, using my right hand to touch my wristband.
I throw my feet forward with enough force to kick the scavenger out of the way, then I proceed to roll from beneath the generator and spring to my feet, thrusting my arm in the direction of the gang.
Come on Paco we dont have long! I exclaim as my sleek red dragon leaps between the gang and I, his ember chest glowing intensely as flames pour from his jaws creating a wall of flickering red heat between us and our enemies. Seeing my chance, I turn on my heels and sprint toward the rover. The gleaming red scales keep pace with me and I keep watch on the side left uncovered. The scavengers seemed to have come out of nowhere to everywhere, surrounding us in seconds. Youve gotta go Paco, I didnt even get half a charge this time and its too dangerous for just you right now, thanks for the help. I say to the dragon, touching the wrist band again and watching his powerful body fade into a pixelated cloud of mist within the dusty winds.
As soon as it is within reach I grab the hot metal door of the Rover and swing my body up and over, landing hard in the leather seat, stuffing the key into the ignition and stomping on the gas as there is not a second to spare. I nearly flip it as I avoid the scavengers, tearing through the old campus like a blade in the flesh, not a second too soon landing the worn tires on the cracking road and accelerating to the max.
Watercolors
Level 74
The Artistic
Posted: 2/22/2018 at 2:22 PM Post #2
Rules

The roleplay has to follow the rules of the story. It is a strict setting that has a lot of creative potential, please don't add things that would not be in this time period of the world.

1. Any geographical descriptions must fit the world. (For example, there's not gonna be a lush forest or garden, you aren't going to come across a lake, maybe a bog, though. Most everyone is in a city area, the world is a dust bowl. Everything has been abandoned for 48 years and it looks like a ghost town)
2. Characters must be aware of the situation. (Every person in this environment has an obvious goal. How you wish to achieve that goal is up to you, but you aren't going to the mall for the latest trends. You are being stalked by hostile beings and fighting for your life :p)
3. No one is overpowered. Be aware of your limits. You can have a giant dragon, but not for an entire battle, if that makes sense.
4. No one is inappropriate. Language and character appearance must be kept family friendly.
5. You may not kill someone else's character without permission from the character's creator.
6. I am particularly fond of the story being laid out on a map. This means if someone is miles away from your character you can't randomly start talking to them. Be aware of where you are.
7. Be kind to others.
8. No caps lock.
9. No text in bright colors.
10. All posts should be at least four complete sentences long. (A short paragraph)
Edited By Watercolors on 2/22/2018 at 2:33 PM.
Watercolors
Level 74
The Artistic
Posted: 2/22/2018 at 2:22 PM Post #3
Character Sheet:

Name:
Companions: (Any monsters they can use)
Family:
Backstory:
Appearance:

Example:

Name: Charlotte
Companions:

*character and artwork belong to me
Ember is the result of a project. Charlotte was genetically modifying the last dog on earth to be her companion who could survive without food or water, but the system overheated and something went terribly wrong. After much scorching messes and broken objects, Ember was fire trained and snap trained (mostly.) He protects Charlotte from other scavengers

Specials: He is a fire bender. His pendant helps him control his firepower, but he can still use it without wearing it. Without the pendant Embers fire becomes wild and out of control. His tail has whiskers that sense body heat, kind of like a Venus fly trap. He has little control over his tail, it snaps on its own reflex from the whiskers. You cant remove them without losing your hand, so its best to just avoid the tail. His markings glow in the dark, can burn up just like his back. The flames are not always there, but when they are they change color to express his mood. Colors and moods are noted on the ref
Family: Were killed by other scavengers
Backstory: Charlotte acquired some machinery pieces and built herself a sort of lab. It's not big, just enough to support her. She stole a battery from the person who killed her brother that powers it. She can grow small potatoes and has a rain garden to harvest water from the occasional storm. Charlotte and Ember hunt monsters which others summon.
Appearance: She is tall and thin from lack of food. High cheek bones, long dark brown hair in a braid to the side. She has pale skin and grey eyes. She carries a knife and a bow, arrows are crafted from scrap metal.
Edited By Watercolors on 2/22/2018 at 2:48 PM.
Shayni
Level 63
Trickster
Threads: 164
Posted: 2/23/2018 at 11:43 AM Post #4
Name:
Callie Rybeck

Scavenger

Companions:
Khatar has dark brown and russet scales. He is 16 feet tall, and 24 feet long. He has a wingspan of 34 feet. He has two horns that curl outward from his head, and he has a stocky build. Khatar's eyes are a greenish yellow and his tail ends in a spade shaped flat scale.
Khatar is a dragon that accompanies Callie after she summons him. He is too large to keep with her at all times and would drain her battery pack significantly. She summons him, and does that happens whenever she can. He helps to keep her safe from other Scavengers, and can speak with her telepathically (his eyes glow green when they talk). He is a regular dragon- she can ride him, and he can breathe fire. He is also rather strong. He is not exactly gentle but doesn't like killing humans.

Family:
They are now dead or scattered all around. She doesn't know where they are currently, or if they are even alive.

Backstory:
Callie was separated from her family after they got into a fight between two families of scavengers. She ran off to stay alive and when she headed back most were gone and some were found dead. She now stays alone but has a small, deserted, crumbling building she lives in.

Appearance:
Callie stands at 5' 5''. She is thin and kind of small, with blonde hair that is wavy and comes to her shoulders. Her eyes are a greenish-brown, but not brown enough to be hazel. Heart shaped face, usually smeared with dirt and covered in dust. Pale skin that is lightly tanned. She wears a pair of tan cargo pants, a tank top, and a black jacket. She usually ties a tan bandana around her mouth to keep dust out.
Edited By Shayni on 2/23/2018 at 12:51 PM.
Watercolors
Level 74
The Artistic
Posted: 2/23/2018 at 12:43 PM Post #5
I love your character sheet! My only request is you check with the artist and make sure you can use the OC in the roleplay :) (I am on deviantart and art theft is becoming a huge problem there. Out of respect to the artists I feel obligated to ask this of you. The note above the image is great, but I have seen many upset journals of artists saying they require permission. I am sure as long as they know you are just using the appearance as a ref and not the actual OC they will be okay with it <3 thank you!)
Shayni
Level 63
Trickster
Posted: 2/23/2018 at 12:47 PM Post #6
Ah, I understand. Instead of troubling the artist I'll just describe the dragon myself in writing because I just was using it as a reference for appearance :P (I understand your concern and I wish to respect the artists too, hopefully you don't take this as a sign of disrespect). I'll edit the form.
Watercolors
Level 74
The Artistic
Posted: 2/23/2018 at 2:00 PM Post #7
No that's totally fine thanks for understanding! I did the same thing until I really got into art last year and started seeing the pain it was causing the artists. :) I am gonna add some more characters later, and some more world description. The clip from the story I wrote above is from the perspective of a male protagonist who I need to make a sheet for.
Shayni
Level 63
Trickster
Posted: 2/23/2018 at 2:03 PM Post #8
Okay, cool. ^.^ I added the description a while back.
Glitterthesylveon
Level 60
Fright Master
Threads: 138
Posted: 2/23/2018 at 4:41 PM Post #9
Name: Vincent Reveera
Companions: (School laptop, tracked history, Will add)
Family: Open | Died of starvation.
Backstory: (WIP)
Appearance: (Will add)

[WIP! School laptop, tracked history.]
Edited By Glitterthesylveon on 2/23/2018 at 4:42 PM.

This Page loaded in 0.010 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.