Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Daltem
Level 68
Benevolent Brewer
Threads: 17
Posted: 2/14/2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1
Hello Folks,

I'm considering constructing a companion Database to go along with Sylestia, this Database would not connect to the website in any way shape or form, nor would it interact with other online services just to keep everyone's IP where its supposed to be and keep possible sensitive data safe. What it would do is allow you to access a complete list of your pets, their traits, their parents, if they were exclusive or not, and how many children/siblings they had (that's the rough idea I have functioning right now). In this way, it would allow you to search your pets much more quickly, and efficiently without having to dig through your stables and hatchery for a specific pet. Now, being offline this Database would rely on YOU entering the data you wished to store and organize. I plan on using Open Office Base as I'm familiar with it and it can be searched with SQL (I'm taking a database class and SQL is part of it so this will help me work with it on something to see it in action) It also has options for more user-friendly interfaces. My question to you, dear forum reader, is two-fold. One, would anyone be interested in such a database as I could make it available once it is complete and would not be looking for anything in return. Two what type of information would you like to see made possible for entry in said Database? I think I have a pretty good grip on what should be used but having multiple inputs on an idea like this could make it better. Thanks for reading
Mikazukichan
Level 75
The Artistic
Threads: 313
Posted: 2/14/2018 at 7:32 PM Post #2
I'm curious how this database would differ from the advanced search + lineage that we already have on site? I know I already keep an Open Office Base database for one of my breeding projects, but I only needed that so I wouldn't have to search through qitaris that are not part of the project.
Daltem
Level 68
Benevolent Brewer
Threads: 17
Posted: 2/14/2018 at 8:15 PM Post #3
Ah, valid point, I made this post as I was doing other things so it may be unnecessary anyway. however, a difference would be that as it lives offline it would be accessible at any time and capable of pulling up a greater number of records as it would not be as graphically heavy. it would also pertain only to information it was taught so, yeah perhaps a waste of time but still an interesting exercise.
Mikazukichan
Level 75
The Artistic
Threads: 313
Posted: 2/14/2018 at 8:19 PM Post #4
Not necessarily a waste of time, but I think the idea might need a little deeper thought. Maybe thinking about why you were feeling it was needed, then how to customize it to fit that particular need. Maybe for people that stat breed and want to be able to pull up high stat pets easily, or those that breed purebred themed pets, since the current system on sylestia doesn't keep track of purebreds. Those are things that would interest me and a few others I know of, so maybe looking at what the advanced search doesn't already do that we wish it could?

This Page loaded in 0.007 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.